Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On Legion of X #4, I know it's out-of-time with the other X-books and probably set well before A.X.E. #1 but the first thing I thought when we met Tumult, the God Chimaera was "Eternals and Iron Man, what the hell have you done giving Sinister Celestial DNA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://twitter.com/cerebrocast/status/1554662058066468864

:allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's too bad Gambit is dead so he couldn't supercharge Wrongslide to run at Uranos.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really loved two lines from Immortal today too.

"Bless that nerd."

and

"I have a sweary messiah."

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

danbanana posted:

Loved the Big Gun joke.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So Uranos is Thanos, plus he has a massive, possibly infinite? arsenal of all kinds of weapons that are hiding in a sub-dimension that can be deployed at at will, even from great distances?

nobody tell tony. he'll start getting ideas.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't want him to Wrongslide into Uranos though. It sounds like it would be very painful!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Regarding Immortal X-Men I thought the data page combining the style of the Eternals and X-Men data pages was a clever touch.

It was a good slate of issues today but I suspect Legion of X will read better in a trade format.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

"e-psi-dermis" is loving brilliant.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I also really enjoyed X-Men Red where Nova was kicking rear end and saving lives again, while also being like "goddammit not again".

Nova needs a break!

Also I like that he's sort of an honorary Brotherhood/X-Men member now

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
So with Magneto did I read that right in that he’s using his powers to keep his blood circulating?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

So with Magneto did I read that right in that he’s using his powers to keep his blood circulating?
That’s how I took it! Something something iron in his blood something :science:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

That’s how I took it! Something something iron in his blood something :science:

If that's the case he should have started stuffing the barf metal down Uranos' throat and see if he could rupture him from the inside out as a clever temporary victory, I'll never understand when you have a writer have someone like Magneto be clever enough to squash Tarn's head like a watermelon with his own helmet, but not have him just be like oh right you're really strong, how's about we start shoving slivers of metal down your nose to clog whatever you call a heart or brain be severed internally.

Only for them to follow tired tropes to show how badass grandpa villain is. And that's because I loved the end splash page. If the Eternals can resurrect themselves pretty quickly have them take a temporary loss due to their hubris. It wouldn't have hurt in the long run I don't think.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I think it's safe to say that Magneto's powers are "whatever you can show with a pink energy field and make up a Magnetism buzzword for."

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

wiegieman posted:

I think it's safe to say that Magneto's powers are "whatever you can show with a pink energy field and make up a Magnetism buzzword for."

That's why I was initially confused. It almost looked like a machine or something

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

That's why I was initially confused. It almost looked like a machine or something

Perhaps he assembled nearby scrap metal into a substitute circulatory system.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Saying "Magneto should have beaten the most powerful Eternal guy right off the bat" is not the way to build a story.

You have to put the X-Men in danger. You have to make it seem like the Eternals are going to win. Because we all know as fans that the X-Men are gonna walk away from this and keep on having adventures, so the fun in the story is seeing how they can pull off a victory against overwhelming odds.

So you have to take the Arakki off the board so there's no backup for the X-Men. You give their most powerful members a temporary defeat so they're the ones who look like the underdogs and we see how they win in the end. How will they defeat Uranos? Who will defeat him? Will anyone actually defeat him?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hey, maybe by both murdering the hell out of the Arakki and having a name vaguely like at least one divine entity Uranos has now fulfilled their criteria to be their god and Mars can have an evil old man Thanos commanding a horde of subservient social Darwinists to transform it into some sort of doomsday device.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
magneto killing uranos wouldn't even matter. he'd be back the next day.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m amazed that Marvel had the restraint to take Thanos off the table before the event. He might still show up, but he was the Prime Eternal before this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

magneto killing uranos wouldn't even matter. he'd be back the next day.

Also literally nothing they did meaningfully phased him at any point, if Magneto filled the guys heart with metal his heart would have beaten the poo poo out of the metal and called it a mutant slur. Uranos killed a planet of super people 1v1 while sneering at them the entire time, there's only so far you can push character popularity power before you give the excuse of why it's working. They need to figure out a "Man, what do we do about this guy?" that makes sense before they start fighting back. Granted they did set the bar a little high this time, what with taking David out really quickly and having Uranos basically unaffected by the process.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gonna go ahead and guess that since that battle was entirely off page that what you think happened isn't really what happened

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulva posted:

Also literally nothing they did meaningfully phased him at any point, if Magneto filled the guys heart with metal his heart would have beaten the poo poo out of the metal and called it a mutant slur. Uranos killed a planet of super people 1v1 while sneering at them the entire time, there's only so far you can push character popularity power before you give the excuse of why it's working. They need to figure out a "Man, what do we do about this guy?" that makes sense before they start fighting back. Granted they did set the bar a little high this time, what with taking David out really quickly and having Uranos basically unaffected by the process.

Well Uranos is still bound to his cell. Any appearances he makes are temporary. So long as no one lets him out Uranos can't do anything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 5, 2022

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Drakyn posted:

Hey, maybe by both murdering the hell out of the Arakki and having a name vaguely like at least one divine entity Uranos has now fulfilled their criteria to be their god and Mars can have an evil old man Thanos commanding a horde of subservient social Darwinists to transform it into some sort of doomsday device.

This would actually be a good way of wrapping things up!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m amazed that Marvel had the restraint to take Thanos off the table before the event. He might still show up, but he was the Prime Eternal before this.

Honestly, this doesn't really feel like a corporate-mandated crossover kind of event, and Gillen is the writer of Eternals as well as the lead on the crossover, so I don't think it's too surprising at all. It really feels more like "hey let's do a cool crossover and smash all the toys together" kind of thing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

wiegieman posted:

Magneto's actually a reality warper like Wanda, he just doesn't realize it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

Magneto's actually a reality warper like Wanda, he just doesn't realize it.

I vaguely remember that being a real plot point somewhere, that literally all mutant power explanations are bullshit and their x-gene is just crumpling reality like paper to make things work out to a theme that makes sense in their heads.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I just wanna snark about magneto saying "you bore a brave boy, Charles". Gabby Haller bore a brave boy thank you very much. Charles should not get credit

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah my guess for David vs. Uranos was that it was not about power against power but a battle of wills and minds which is David's weak point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I know we'll get a better idea of how the Uranos/Legion fight played out once we actually get to, y'know, see it, but given the likelihood that there's a big ol' Mental Combat aspect to said fight, I do think it bears noting how Gillen's conception of the Eternals - referenced in a few of this week's X-books, like Immortal - has them being less 'people' and more 'computers with personalities.' Their minds are specifically called out as being alien and machine-like, and I have to suspect that there's something about a cold, orderly, vastly logical mind like Uranos' being hard for a guy like David - whose mind, as we've seen time and again, is anything but orderly no matter how hard he tries - to get a handle on.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wiegieman posted:

I vaguely remember that being a real plot point somewhere, that literally all mutant power explanations are bullshit and their x-gene is just crumpling reality like paper to make things work out to a theme that makes sense in their heads.

During the Lobdell/Nicieza days, every new mutant would have their powers described as "psionic" even if it was like, making force fields or growing plants or whatever. I always wondered if they were intentionally making the point that every mutant has basically a mind-based power that expresses itself differently for each individual.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
considering that uranos withstood a combined psychic assault from every other eternal until they gave up i don't think telepathy would work very well.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

wiegieman posted:

That would explain why Magneto's portrayed as stronger than Polaris: she has a doctorate and actually understands how magnetism works. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

considering that uranos withstood a combined psychic assault from every other eternal until they gave up i don't think telepathy would work very well.

Uranos is super stubborn, that's pretty much his whole thing. Like upon being told that his thesis was for sure wrong, he just said the gods who programed him were incompetent then, and what their actual intentions are don't matter only the programing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555700506521214977

There are some true Claremont gems in here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
chris claremont is having a normal one today (thread)

https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555688080606208001?s=20&t=GqzuQcOAKhS2wBd76l5iLw

efb

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I kept reading it and it somehow kept getting funnier the longer it went. Is it age that does this? Or was Claremont always like this? I mean, everyone knows "the Canadian" was this (and worse) back in the day and now. He's infamous for it. Claremont on the other hand was just, hm, very vocal about his tastes and ideas about sex.

This is my favorite bit from that Twitter thread:

"Claremont just did a Cajun accent and our Louisiana friend shook

Said Kitty would have to decide if she stayed Black or went back to being White. We do not know how this happened, the question was about Gambit"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Saoshyant posted:

I kept reading it and it somehow kept getting funnier the longer it went. Is it age that does this? Or was Claremont always like this?

Kind of, yeah. I remember him being cantankerous as all hell when I saw him live in 1991 or so at the Chicago Comicon (13-year-old me had a real "never meet your heroes" moment over that, although it made more sense when I learned about his working environment at the time), and this live thread sounds a lot like the experience of listening to that live panel with him and Louise Simonson that Jay & Miles ran a couple of years ago.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh, I'm gonna move Claremont off my "quirky but okay" list now and straight on the "go away" list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Wanderer posted:

Kind of, yeah. I remember him being cantankerous as all hell when I saw him live in 1991 or so at the Chicago Comicon (13-year-old me had a real "never meet your heroes" moment over that, although it made more sense when I learned about his working environment at the time), and this live thread sounds a lot like the experience of listening to that live panel with him and Louise Simonson that Jay & Miles ran a couple of years ago.

The episode with Claremont versus the Weezie episode were loving stark contrasts.