Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I started Luck on Apple last night. It's John Lasseter's first film since getting ousted from Pixar over sexual misconduct.

I watched about half. It's fine, you can see some of that early Pixar charm in there, although the animation is nowhere near as good. There are some funny moments, but it also feels like they're going for the depth of Inside Out, and not really succeeding. It makes it clear that the early success of Pixar was due to the brain trust, rather than just solely John Lasseter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I started Luck on Apple last night. It's John Lasseter's first film since getting ousted from Pixar over sexual misconduct.

I watched about half. It's fine, you can see some of that early Pixar charm in there, although the animation is nowhere near as good. There are some funny moments, but it also feels like they're going for the depth of Inside Out, and not really succeeding. It makes it clear that the early success of Pixar was due to the brain trust, rather than just solely John Lasseter.
On the other hand Pixar is now putting out stuff like Lightyear which is like if a Disney Junior cartoon was given a completely insane budget

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

On the other hand Pixar is now putting out stuff like Lightyear which is like if a Disney Junior cartoon was given a completely insane budget

Yeah, they've been real hit and miss lately. Luca and Turning Red were fantastic. Toy Story 4, Lightyear, and Onward were not. Soul had good parts, but was too similar to Inside Out for me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I know prey is a predator verse movie but I keep mixing it up with the video game from like 2008 that was also about native Americans fighting off an alien threat or something, also called prey

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My main issue with Prey is native Americans speaking English. Otherwise pretty good!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They said there's also a version in Comanche they'll be releasing in a few weeks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

A MIRACLE posted:

I know prey is a predator verse movie but I keep mixing it up with the video game from like 2008 that was also about native Americans fighting off an alien threat or something, also called prey

sad that you don't mix it up with the 2017 video game with the same title that was much better than (and completely unrelated to) the 2008 one

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have that in my steam account I just haven’t played it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

A MIRACLE posted:

I have that in my steam account I just haven’t played it

Remedy that asap

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

I have no way of knowing if this critique is valid or not, but at the very least I found it to be a great primer to some of the knottier political themes below the surface that I was not aware of.

https://buttondown.email/riteshwriter/archive/6-unpacking-rrr-indian-politics-and-cinema/

Thank you for linking this, great read. Without context all that stuff affecting the portrayal of Bheem was invisible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They said there's also a version in Comanche they'll be releasing in a few weeks.

It's a Comanche dub, so not as cool, but still pretty sweet. I thought they would have it on release day already so I was kinda bummed I couldn't rewatch the dub version immediately after.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh, I thought it would be day-and-date too. Do I hold out for the Comanche version or watch it tonight??

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mystes posted:

It feels like Pixar is trying to find who they can get new to fit into the machine. It used to be that the same four guys directed everything and Docter's only one still around.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Dan Trachtenberg says the Prey Comanche dub is out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I saw the trailer and thought to myself "Well I guess we don't have to worry about Lasseter staging a huge comeback." The whole thing felt like a weak premise a C-tier animation studio might try to put out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

My main issue with Prey is native Americans speaking English. Otherwise pretty good!

They filmed the entire movie in both English and native Iroquois and you can choose which version to watch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

They filmed the entire movie in both English and native Iroquois and you can choose which version to watch.

And both versions are available to watch right now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nice, gonna do a rewatch with the dub tonight :dance:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Did they actually film both? When they announced the "Comanche" version, I thought it would be awesome if they actually filmed a separate version where the actors spoke in the native language. And, if it's a dialogue-light movie, it sounded like that might actually be plausible.

But I presumed it was just gonna be a dub in the native language. Is it not that?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's a Comanche dub.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And because it's been said a few times, Comanche is from the Shoshoni, not Iroquois.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I have never read and know absolutely nothing about the graphic novels, but The Sandman on Netflix absolutely owns.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I saw the trailer and thought to myself "Well I guess we don't have to worry about Lasseter staging a huge comeback." The whole thing felt like a weak premise a C-tier animation studio might try to put out.

Yeah, I watched the rest of it on my lunch break today. It got worse as it went on. Really tried hard there to wrench those heart strings, with very little effect. Overall I'd say the movie was a cross between Monsters Inc and Inside Out, but much more shallow, and blatant in their attempts at evoking your emotions. But hey, it has John Ratzenberger.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Sock The Great posted:

I have never read and know absolutely nothing about the graphic novels, but The Sandman on Netflix absolutely owns.

The graphic novels are legit probably the best series I have ever read in my life and I say that as someone who has been collecting and reading comics for thirty years now.

I'm on episode 4 and it has been great so far.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Ooh, that's good to hear. The comic has such a variety of focuses and stories that I could see a tv show either working great or botching completely. Glad to hear it's worthwhile.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Speaking of animated movies I thought Sea Beast was pretty great. I guess a lot of people wrote it off because it looked too similar to the dragon training movie, and maybe it is (don’t remember that one at all), but I thought it looked great and I loved the setting. There were some weird dropped threads but the story was overall still pretty good with a surprisingly anti-imperialist message. And Karl Urban rules.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did they actually film both? When they announced the "Comanche" version, I thought it would be awesome if they actually filmed a separate version where the actors spoke in the native language. And, if it's a dialogue-light movie, it sounded like that might actually be plausible.

But I presumed it was just gonna be a dub in the native language. Is it not that?

quote:

The film was shot in English and Comanche, with the entire cast performing an alternate all-Comanche dub of the film. Both language versions are available on Hulu.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That's... Confusing. Nothing I've seen indicates it was shot in Commanche like that says. Just dubbed after the fact.

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/DannyTRS/status/1553580765970964480

This might answer it?

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 6, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m assuming they used the English video so that they don’t have to use the server storage space for two different video streams

Which is understandable but… I wanna see the Comanche video!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

BonoMan posted:

That's... Confusing. Nothing I've seen indicates it was shot in Commanche like that says. Just dubbed after the fact.

My interpretation is:
Both English and Comanche appear in the regular version of the film
There is a Comanche dub by the same cast

"The film was shot in Language Y and X" is used to describe the languages that appear in a film, it doesn't mean that they filmed scenes twice in different languages. Inglourious Basterds for example was shot in English, German and French. (Edit: and Italian, technically)

Also the Comanche version is under "extras", it's not just a language option in the regular version. Maybe because they translated in-movie text (common with French Canadian versions IME)

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 6, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Prey was really loving sweet. It's too bad they didn't spend like 50MM more on it and release it in theaters just because some of the CGI was kinda rough.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 6, 2022

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah Prey loving ruled goddamn. I really would be into just dropping a Predator into different time periods as a new franchise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Prey was really loving sweet. It's too bad they didn't spend like 50MM more on it and release it in theaters just because some of the CGI was kinda rough.

Yeah you could definitely see the budget. But I think they did quite a bit with what they had.

The predator costume looked sweet though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah Prey loving ruled goddamn. I really would be into just dropping a Predator into different time periods as a new franchise.

Victorian London where he fights a steampunk genius or Renaissance Italy so he can get his portrait done or ancient Egypt and he can get mummified at the end

e watch Black Bird on Apple TV, it's scary as hell. Probably not for date night though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Ip Man, finally, and man his sense of ethics just make him kinda seem like a dipshit.
Like, he invests money in a business, then when his family is starving during wartime and his business partner seems to be doing fine, he refuses to even like...get lunch with them, or like, try to get anything back really, and the partner comments that Ip Man doesn't wanna owe anybody favors and it's like...he's a stockholder (and close friend!) lol what
Then he fights the all those Japanese guys, winning a bunch of rice, but doesn't deign pick up any of the rice...for like, principles I guess? But takes the bloodied rice of the last guy who died back to his family. Even if you're just like OH NO I CAN'T TAKE THESE TEN BAGS OF RICE TO MY STARVING WIFE AND SMALL CHILD, IT'S ~JAPANESE~ RICE, which doesn't make sense since it's rice seized by the Japanese anyway...why not take that rice to that you know, family who just lost their main breadwinner? You see them weeping when he just hands them the one bloodied up bag of rice, like, maybe just give them all that rice, lord knows they're probably gonna starve to death in a week. OH hey, thanks for bringing me this bag full of rice soaked in my son's blood, I'm an old lady so I'm sure I'm gonna do great during this here Japanese occupation!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 6, 2022

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching Ip Man, finally, and man his sense of ethics just make him kinda seem like a dipshit.
Like, he invests money in a business, then when his family is starving during wartime and his business partner seems to be doing fine, he refuses to even like...get lunch with them, or like, try to get anything back really, and the partner comments that Ip Man doesn't wanna owe anybody favors and it's like...he's a stockholder (and close friend!) lol what
Then he fights the all those Japanese guys, winning a bunch of rice, but doesn't deign pick up any of the rice...for like, principles I guess? But takes the bloodied rice of the last guy who died back to his family. Even if you're just like OH NO I CAN'T TAKE THESE TEN BAGS OF RICE TO MY STARVING WIFE AND SMALL CHILD, IT'S ~JAPANESE~ RICE, which doesn't make sense since it's rice seized by the Japanese anyway...why not take that rice to that you know, family who just lost their main breadwinner? You see them weeping when he just hands them the one bloodied up bag of rice, like, maybe just give them all that rice, lord knows they're probably gonna starve to death in a week. OH hey, thanks for bringing me this bag full of rice soaked in my son's blood, I'm an old lady so I'm sure I'm gonna do great during this here Japanese occupation!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_(sociological_concept)#Chinese

Prey was rad! I remember hearing Dan Trachtenberg hinting on an episode of Screen Drafts that he was in the early stages of working on a film in the Predator franchise so it's cool to see it come to fruition. This is a criticism that feels weird to make, but a lot of scenes would have been more convincing if the lead had a more built, athletic build. She's so lithe it's a bit of a stretch. Loved all the french dudes losing their limbs, though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Would it have been losing face to bring that doomed family a non-bloody bag of rice though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Primitive predator was kind of funny tbh. He's got a spaceship and active camo and thermal vision and laser guided...arrows, and a shield that no one can help themselves from shooting at vs the other 90% of his body that is exposed. And he looked all stupid and couldn't see with his mask off. I don't remember that being a thing with predator and that seems like a lot of evolution for 300 years especially considering they had mastered intergalactic flight at that point.

10/10 mask though. should have left it on.