Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CitizenKeen posted:

Riri Williams is one of my favorite Marvel characters, and I will never forgive Shea for AS5 (#jujubee). I am very conflicted by this news.

I haven't rewatched AS5. What did Shea do to Jujubee? Beyond beating her in the finale? She didn't pull a Naomi or Blu.

As for Shea in the MCU, people are speculating that she might play Shade, which is a newer X-Men character that was specifically modeled after Shea, along with a few other Ru girls like Monet, but I don't think so. Shea wrote on twitter that she filmed last week, so I'm guessing it's not a substantial role, and in all likelihood she's just playing a drag queen when Riri goes to drag brunch in an episode or something.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

All Star spoiler

Monet looked like she knew she was going to lose that lip synch and put like 0 effort

Yeah, I don't think we watched the same episode. She was pulling out all the tricks. There was also some severe editing. Are we still putting things in spoiler tags? They edited a lot out, like Monet having a lip stick with Jinkx's name on it, and the cut out pretty much the entirety of Nicki's rap. Apparently Monet was doing so well that Jinkx literally stopped performing just to watch. And Ru's comment at the end that the decision was based on the lip sync and overall performance from the season was clearly dubbed in after. I'm absolutely thrilled that Jinkx won, but let's not act like there wasn't some manipulation in the edit to make Monet look slightly worse to help justify that win.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

curiousTerminal posted:

(still upset nobody mentioned SheDevilByNight during AS7)

almost certainly trinity got read and roasted for this during filming but in no universe does any mention of the drama (beyond rupaul offhandedly saying “you can’t listen to the haters online”!) make it to air during an explicitly hagiographical season. It would break kayfabe in a way that benefits no one.

I said, did you FORGET YOUR SCISSORS, Trinity?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So I randomly decided to look up Ivy Winters since I haven't heard anything about her in years. Found his instagram. He is completely unrecognizable!

post a pic

Apparently he's married, stopped doing drag, and runs a farm.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't rewatched AS5. What did Shea do to Jujubee? Beyond beating her in the finale? She didn't pull a Naomi or Blu.
Shea didn't do anything to anybody. I just loathed how AS5 started with "Shea seems predestined to win" and then went through an arc of "Sure seems like Ru and the editors expect Shea to win" and then ended with "Oh hey, Shea won." It was unbelievably unsatisfying, for me, as a season.

I'm sure it was mostly editing. Intellectually I blame the editors and the producers, but emotionally I blame Shea.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For all of Reddit complaining about Shae in this season I like her a lot more than her previous outings because she got to be more human on the show this time around rather than just Drag Queen Excellence.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Still got the annoying voice though

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm so loving tired of finale lipsyncs. It never feels fair, and half the time, the actual lipsync sucks too.

curiousTerminal posted:

(still upset nobody mentioned SheDevilByNight during AS7)

Supposedly they did, but it didn't make the final cut. I think there was both a werkroom discussion about it, as well as someone brought it up in the roast?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Eej posted:

For all of Reddit complaining about Shae in this season I like her a lot more than her previous outings because she got to be more human on the show this time around rather than just Drag Queen Excellence.

Begrudgingly agreed.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

I'm so loving tired of finale lipsyncs. It never feels fair, and half the time, the actual lipsync sucks

Same.

My favorite finale format was the second part of Season 12’s. Allow the queens to choose a song and plan a performance around it.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I haven't yet watched candadar, but Chelazon has my heart per tik toks over the past year.

Surely, this will be fine!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

IIRC Reddit wasn't exactly thrilled about Krystal winning UK3 and felt that a lot of strong queens were sent home unfairly. (I know there were many who thought Charity Kase deserved to stay longer; myself, I thought she had great ideas but the execution wasn't very polished.) I wasn't surprised by Krystal because of the "born to do drag" comment, Ella floundered in the last episode, and while Kitty was my fave, I didn't think they'd crown another comedy queen.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I have an opportunity coming up soon to actually work on this show, and I want to get a crash course on some of the better seasons so I can get a good feel for it -- Could anyone give me some recommendations on the 'must watch' kind of seasons? I watched a few of the seasons back in the day (Thinking seasons 2-4ish) but haven't seen much of it at all since then.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

If I were to pick three more recent seasons:

- Season 14, since it's the most recent and the best example of what the series is now. Ignore the long stretch of time where no one went home, I expect that won't be the case in future seasons. I'd expect the LaLaPaRuZa to be a regular event going forward

- All Stars 4, which is the best of the more recent "normal" All-Stars Seasons. AS2 is better, AS7 is a different format (that I want to see again), but until that happens I'd look at AS4.

- Season 9 because it's great and it's the best of the new Finale format seasons

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Burginator posted:

I have an opportunity coming up soon to actually work on this show, and I want to get a crash course on some of the better seasons so I can get a good feel for it -- Could anyone give me some recommendations on the 'must watch' kind of seasons? I watched a few of the seasons back in the day (Thinking seasons 2-4ish) but haven't seen much of it at all since then.

I'd watch seasons 5 and 6, this was when classic drag race was at its prime.

Then of the newer era, I'd agree on seasons 9 and 14. They both have solid casts, very little toxic drama (meaning there's no Silky, sexual predators, or mindfuckery like "you've been porkchopped!"). It's just unfortunate that 14 has probably the worst Snatch Game ever.

I completely disagree with All Stars 4 though, it was the season where it was made clear that the All Stars rules were not working, and I have a hard time rewatching it. I'd watch All Stars 2 (maybe the best season of drag race ever) and 7 (showing the best queens at the top of their game, with perhaps the best Snatch Game ever).

And if you want to watch an international version, I'd watch UK season 2, which still has Ru and Michelle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ru and Michelle on the UK judging panel is a demerit, imo, because it means that half the judges of any episode don't have the cultural context for any deep cuts the queens might come up with. UK2 is still good to watch though cause it has a likeable cast and Tayce has the funniest confessionals of all Drag Race second only to Jujube.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
UK2 is phenomenal because its bottom 3 could've easily made it far in the other seasons.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Drimble Wedge posted:

IIRC Reddit wasn't exactly thrilled about Krystal winning UK3 and felt that a lot of strong queens were sent home unfairly. (I know there were many who thought Charity Kase deserved to stay longer; myself, I thought she had great ideas but the execution wasn't very polished.) I wasn't surprised by Krystal because of the "born to do drag" comment, Ella floundered in the last episode, and while Kitty was my fave, I didn't think they'd crown another comedy queen.

I felt especially weird about the already-pumped-full-of-plastic 18 year old being complimented on her natural born ability to do this.
And then after the third or so episode where her obvious crash and burn performance didn't land her bottom two I checked out of the whole season.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Poulpe posted:

I felt especially weird about the already-pumped-full-of-plastic 18 year old being complimented on her natural born ability to do this.
And then after the third or so episode where her obvious crash and burn performance didn't land her bottom two I checked out of the whole season.

:yeah: Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's always tough when it happens, because people (not so much this thread but elsewhere) lash out and blame the queen for the favoritism, whether it be Silky, Kandy, Krystal V, Jorgeous, etc. Blame production for their lovely decisions, not the queens who are just being dragged (:haw:) along for the ride! They wanted to join the most famous televised drag competition in the world, so they did. Once it's been made pretty clear how much they are being favored...what can they do? Quit, and ruin their run and risk being blacklisted by Rupaul/production, hoping it will at least get them some good PR? That might work on an All Stars run, like Ben, but no way is a queen gonna do that on their first go-round.

It's why I always encourage folks (if you have the financial means to do so): if you think a queen was favored/another queen was robbed, then buy some merch of the robbed queen, or send her a Venmo tip! The show has finished filming for over 6 months now, there's no changing it (Sherry Pie being the exception). A DM with "I thought you should have won last week" is very nice, but they can't pay their bills with that!

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
CDR3 is good imo:

JIMBO :swoon:

I know it's edited but I still don't like the being mean to Fierce poo poo. Like gently caress off making fun of her voice. You be you, Fierce.

I enjoyed the gender discussion before the runway. I had actually been thinking about that subject today.

I was sad to see Chelazon go last week. She owns, I will be following her now for sure.

Kaos is such a sweetheart, I want to protecc. I thought they fought in that lipsync. I want to see more.

I actually think this is a good season so far. At the very least there is great diverse talent representing Canadians and some good drama. I think the judging lacks some pizzazz but I don't hate it. Jimbo should be a regular.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I ran into Kaos and Chelazon hanging out at Vancouver Pride and they were both so lovely.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
CDR3:

I don't know if I'm a mark for the edit but like, everyone dumping on Fierce is really getting to me. She just seems she's genuinely trying to be nice to people and they just poo poo on her randomly.

I think this is the second time Jada talked about being amazing at the challenge and being sent to the bottom which is the funniest victim of hubris thing I've seen on Drag Race.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Eej posted:

CDR3:

I don't know if I'm a mark for the edit but like, everyone dumping on Fierce is really getting to me. She just seems she's genuinely trying to be nice to people and they just poo poo on her randomly.

Yeah I don't know what they are going for with that, but it has made me lose respect for both Jada and Vivian. It's straight up bullying as they are presenting it.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Just finished watching episode one of Drag Race Down Under s2. Cannot believe RuPaul is still doing the Aussie Aussie Aussie chant with a mixed crowd of kiwi queens.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Re AS7: Jinkx absolutely won the season with Snatch Game. As long as she didn't break an ankle during these lipsyncs, or do something horrible like lose a wig or ugh air guitar, she was a lock, and has been for most of the season.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
should I bother watching season 7? I heard it's bad but I wanna see Katya's face

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CD3

I thought the challenge was a really great concept that I wouldn’t mind being brought back as a regular thing. So many times in the limited material design challenges it can feel like the material someone grabbed from the pile or was assigned makes a huge impact on how effective the look is. Having everyone on a level playing field was really cool and the runway still had a lot of variety in looks.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

should I bother watching season 7? I heard it's bad but I wanna see Katya's face

Season 7 suffers from being after a string of top tier seasons along with having a lot of look queens combined with performance challenges.

I really like it and think it’s stronger then the other seasons often considered bad seasons.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

Season 7 produced a lot of memorable queens, but the season itself was bad, for a number of reasons.

1) As garthoneeye pointed out, there were a lot of performance challenges with a cast that was heavy on look queens. Maybe this was a result of how great the performance challenges were in seasons 5 and 6, but a good part of the cast really struggled, to the point where Ru snapped at the cast in one episode because she was so frustrated with what they were putting out

2) Heavy handed production, more than usual, was pushing one particular queen to win the season, consistently making them safe when they were clearly in the bottom, and giving them challenge wins when others performed far better. After dragging that queen to the final 4, they realized that they couldn't justify them winning the crown anymore, and dropped them there.

3) There was a clique of older queens who were really nasty in confessionals and in untucked. One queen who is quite beloved today, people forget that they were considered a villain, and were deeply disliked when season 7 was airing.

4) An unsatisfying final 3. With production cutting queens prematurely to get their chosen one to the finals (before, again, cutting them before the finale), we were left with a final 3 of queens who were performing pretty middle of the pack.

5) Jasmine Masters. She has her fans, but she's a queen who is more unintentionally funny, and people laugh more at her than with her. She's quite meme-able today in 5 second sound bites, but having to deal with her for several episodes, vastly overestimating her own talent and ability, it was quite grating.

The pros of course, you get to see the origins of some of the more popular queens today, and the Snatch Game and John Waters challenges were very good.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes, if only because S7 has Jaidynn Diore Fierce. :love:

https://mobile.twitter.com/charliecherrim/status/1525558447378292736?cxt=HHwWgICjwefU76sqAAAA

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Coco's runway during the season 5 Pink Ball was probably one of the most unintentionally creepy and uncomfortable looks in drag race history, right?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Tired Moritz posted:

Season 7 Untucked cannot be missed; it's like a fever dream.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Drimble Wedge posted:

Season 7 Untucked cannot be missed; it's like a fever dream.

I love Violet - but part of drag is - you have to know your - drag herstory

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session. So he had gutted me and set me on fire. But you know I didn't die. I had crystalized and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway

So what you're saying is that you had the costume and needed a story.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Coco's runway during the season 5 Pink Ball was probably one of the most unintentionally creepy and uncomfortable looks in drag race history, right?

Even more insane to me is that terrible look all of sudden works when the lip sync song starts playing.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I remember reading a recap at the time and they were pretty convinced it was intentional because Coco knew how badly she'd done in the challenge. Who really knows excepy Coco though.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I remember reading a recap at the time and they were pretty convinced it was intentional because Coco knew how badly she'd done in the challenge. Who really knows excepy Coco though.

I’d believe that except how would Coco know when she brought that to Drag Race that that runway would pair up with a challenge she was bad at and that lip sync song.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The runway theme is decided by production after the challenge, right? Same with the lipsync song. Production probably just saw a chance to line them up and took it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Zombie Squared posted:

Just finished watching episode one of Drag Race Down Under s2. Cannot believe RuPaul is still doing the Aussie Aussie Aussie chant with a mixed crowd of kiwi queens.

to be fair she also gives em the old kia ora although I'm unclear how cringey that is in comparison

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

to be fair she also gives em the old kia ora although I'm unclear how cringey that is in comparison

all my co-workers in NZ use kia ora as a greeting in virtual meetings so it seems pretty normal I guess? either way I think promoting and encouraging the use of Maori language is pretty great compared to a pretty obnoxious sports chant hahaha.

also hanna conda was robbed. her moth look was terrific - old world flapper moth beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Zombie Squared posted:

I watched it as well but I haven't seen the first season. I've never heard the 'Ru wasn't here during filming' conspiracy but I can see why: the judges genuinely look green-screened in. The lighting is so bad. The sloppy editing is also hilarious.

I'm hooked on the cast so I'll probably keep up.