Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The boatswain ate his victuals at the forecastle with a helping of Worcestershire sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
and here I thought it was pee-anna

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

and here I thought it was pee-anna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9lCr6zD6Ss

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least vermin CAN be pronounced like vermin and not "varmint"

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Data Graham posted:

I know this is true but if I'm reading it aloud I simply cannot bring myself to do it

What am I, fuckin Yosemite Sam

victuals -> ''vittles' i seemingly always knew for whatever reason, but i just assumed yosemite was pronounced yose-mite until i was like 18 and playing an american version of trivial pursuit with friends

tho it wasnt as awkward as being 12 and thinking banal rhymed with anal

while im here and whitenoise posting, shout out to the non-native english speaking crew who proudly pronounce the L in salmon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

boofhead posted:

victuals -> ''vittles' i seemingly always knew for whatever reason, but i just assumed yosemite was pronounced yose-mite until i was like 18 and playing an american version of trivial pursuit with friends

while im here and whitenoise posting, shout out to the non-native english speaking crew who proudly pronounce the L in salmon

Shout-out to the English-speaking crew who use the word smörgåsbord but mispronounce literally every vowel in it. Just call it a loving buffet and completely mispronounce that, too, as you do. It's over quicker.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Shout-out to the English-speaking crew who use the word smörgåsbord but mispronounce literally every vowel in it. Just call it a loving buffet and completely mispronounce that, too, as you do. It's over quicker.

i will never not butcher other languages. it is my right as a native english speaking colonial abomination

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

oh, I checked a better source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRZUxeLRgk

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

steinrokkan posted:

The boatswain ate his victuals at the forecastle with a helping of Worcestershire sauce

Wow,.such a blackguard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

Until just now I thought it was pronounced Vick tyoo als and vittles was some kind if podunk weirdness

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

If you are wrong enough often enough people stop bothering to correct you. This is a life hack I have learned

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

boofhead posted:

Does...does it not? :ohdear:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(This is why we use phonemic spelling in civilized tongues. Baanan/banaan is unambiguous so you can't make the pun. And not making puns is skittrevligt.)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

freeedr posted:

If you are wrong enough often enough people stop bothering to correct you. This is a life hack I have learned

They may even vote for you to become president of the united states of america

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
My favorite part of power of the dog was hearing benefit Cumberbatch say "grand pinano"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I pull up in my banana car like skrrrrrrrrittrevligt

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pengwings

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Damnit, I'm going to have the piano part of this in my head all day.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

trapped mouse posted:

Does...does it not? :ohdear:

Ah don't worry telling people they should "be anal" is all cool and good.

It actually rhymes with "Cum on your dick". I think it's one of those weird German words that use letters weird, so just say it that way from now on and you'll be fine.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mother *fucker*! That god damned melody :smithicide:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fun fact, it's the same melody as the Fair Harvard song that that one cartoon writer in the Simpsons gets beaned in the head with a coffee mugwadded up letter in the middle of singing, in what I hope was a deliberate and extremely oblique reference to the WB piano gag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe_Me,_If_All_Those_Endearing_Young_Charms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfDt9LQQ7q0

e: lol I wonder if anyone but a Harvard grad has ever heard more than the first few notes of the song

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Aug 5, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

And not making puns is skittrevligt.

this from the person posting fingerpori????

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

this from the person posting fingerpori????

Those are sanleicks not puns.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
slutstation

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

evobatman posted:

slutstation

this is where i get off

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

steinrokkan posted:

Lord Cholmondeley and Lady Featherstonehaugh approve.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

boofhead posted:

Make sure you pronounce all of the silent 'B's in words like dumb, doubt, subtle, and so on. No amount of reminding my wife will get her to stop saying "that's dumbuh!"

freeedr posted:

If everyone's wrong enough for long enough then they update the dictionary!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJh0wDdiX54

e: we also have a town called Hobro

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Aug 5, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Swedish is a ridiculous language. The correct pronunciations uses a tone of voice I only use when I'm being incredibly sarcastic

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

steinrokkan posted:

Wait

How are you pronouncing helping

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Xun posted:

Swedish is a ridiculous language. The correct pronunciations uses a tone of voice I only use when I'm being incredibly sarcastic

Long ago, I dated an American, she was a big fan of slutspurts (we have them in denmark too)

e: some danish elevators used to say "I fart" when they were occupied ("in running", sorta)

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

mrpwase posted:

Wait

How are you pronouncing helping

"helping"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf i pronounce it "heIping"

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/capetownbrown/status/1555366629852192769?s=20&t=DHF70dimsEhNidZp5pa0_A

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Not sure what the original name was in English but my favorite track is (translated) Fuckface in the Rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I proudly present to you, the Norwegian word for speedbump