Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Travv0 posted:

maybe, i heard stardew is like harvest moon and i didn't get into that though
decent gba rpg's i remember emulating ages ago:
final fantasy tactics advance
mario & luigi - superstar saga
mazes of fate
phantasy star collection (ehhhh)
shining force: resurrection of the dark dragon
tactics ogre - the knight of lodis
the urbz - sims in the city (EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFPjhAVTPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Travv0 posted:

i got one of those handheld emulator machines and want a good rpg recommendation to play on like gb/gba cause i didn't play rpgs back when i owned those. something not too hard cause i'm bad at them please

dragon warrior 3 for game boy color
pokemon fire red (leaf green is the same game with very slight differences in which pokemon you can catch but the fire red exclusives are cooler)

e: stardew valley is an explicit clone of harvest moon and doesn't pretend it isn't.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 08:44 on Aug 5, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Travv0 posted:

i got one of those handheld emulator machines and want a good rpg recommendation to play on like gb/gba cause i didn't play rpgs back when i owned those. something not too hard cause i'm bad at them please

Final fantasy legend, all of them

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Those are all good, I'd play them in order since they kind of build up in complexity, but are all still straightforward. My ranking goes FF Legend 2, 3, then 1.

Legend 1 is still a good game but I remember it feeling like a Speedrun since you will beat it in under 4 hours of playtime. You do get a chainsaw for a little bit.

I enjoyed the final fantasy adventure line on gb as well, even though it's more action than rpg, like a proto secret of mana. There's some kind of storied provenance regarding that series. It's fun to hit things with a chain and level up in 2d black and white.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Agnostalgia posted:

how soon we forget "lighting things on fire in a parking lot to see what happens". remember your roots people

your god damned right

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i forgot Tyranny is hard as nails in the early going

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Playing Tomba Tomba is good love chuckin them little pig lads

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i will never beat a tactics game, i burn out like 4 battles in before i get any cool classes unlocked

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Plank Walker posted:

i will never beat a tactics game, i burn out like 4 battles in before i get any cool classes unlocked

this is where zoom function on emulator comes in clutch, you can fast forward all the enemy dicking around and get back to your next moves

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Travv0 posted:

maybe, i heard stardew is like harvest moon and i didn't get into that though

theyre a little similar yes

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1555315242007240704

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All this talk about AC Odyssey being a bad game is insanity

Goon who likes Origins, you will certainly love Odyssey even more and when you do play it make sure you play as Kassandra because she's awesome

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I enjoyed Origins more than any other AC since Ezio by a wide margin, so I got AC Odyssey with all the DLC on sale cuz I heard good things about the Atlantis DLC

I put maybe 8 hours into the main game and fell off lol

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Origins is a more beautiful locale to explore but they definitely imitate Witcher 3 better with Odyssey.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Final fantasy legend, all of them

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

3 is still kind of a letdown but i wore through my gameboy playing 1 and 2 on loop

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Playing Tomba Tomba is good love chuckin them little pig lads

Tomba owns, great game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

one of the few things I remember about FFL2 is that it had an unusually well-developed sense of humor

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

one of the few things I remember about FFL2 is that it had an unusually well-developed sense of humor

eat every meat you find until you get a fairy type and use it to crush everything

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's a character who's like, iirc your dad? who just consistently does extremely funny poo poo

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
primarily constantly running away from his child yes

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
which may or may not be a robot

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kassandra is well voiced but one of the worst characters of this era

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Yaz_Minsky/stat...ingawful.com%2F

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Kassandra is well voiced but one of the worst characters of this era
Her arc is lost on me now but I recall her being fun and inoffensive. Why?

I recall people getting mad when they made her have a baby in the DLC when people were role-playing her as gay but I never played that.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Origins and Odyssey are both trash garbage. Absolutely abysmal writing and some of the most tedious gameplay ive ever experienced. Who the gently caress wanted endless leveled loot in their AC games? And the combat just drags on and on with half the enemies having these giant health pools and you cant even stealth kill them. What was the point of that? Why have a game called "Assassin's Creed" if you cant assassinate most of the common enemies?

Blows my mind that people think those games were a huge improvement to the, admittedly stale, formula. At least the old games had cool combat that looked flashy as hell but was also over very quickly

Never played Valhalla but it looked like more of the same so, meh

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In tomba the opening area has two secrets. If you get a peach flower to fart on a pig it turns them into a baby, giving you the baby pig quest super early. You can also knock a candy into one of the trap flowers and it turns into a full flower, another way to get an item for a late game quest really early

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
god drat, Velma whips rear end

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
*does a bunch of talking in Tyranny after finishing the first big mission*

whew. okay. time to kick more rear end.

*realizes he has a new spell sigil and everyone has more lore*

okay right after i recombobulate all my spells

*spends several minutes doing that for all chars*

ooooooookay, time to KICK SOME rear end

*gets ambushed by more talking on the way to lethian's crossing*

ALRIGHT, WHEN I GET TO LETHIANS CROSSING THERE'S GONNA BE rear end KIC-

*lethian's crossing is a peaceful village with tons of NPCs to talk to*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:negative:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

god drat, Velma whips rear end

Idk man she called the cops on lebron James she might be racist

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Idk man she called the cops on lebron James she might be racist

oh no, has "jinkies" been a slur this whole time??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

*does a bunch of talking in Tyranny after finishing the first big mission*

whew. okay. time to kick more rear end.

*realizes he has a new spell sigil and everyone has more lore*

okay right after i recombobulate all my spells

*spends several minutes doing that for all chars*

ooooooookay, time to KICK SOME rear end

*gets ambushed by more talking on the way to lethian's crossing*

ALRIGHT, WHEN I GET TO LETHIANS CROSSING THERE'S GONNA BE rear end KIC-

*lethian's crossing is a peaceful village with tons of NPCs to talk to*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:negative:

the most insidious evil of all, lawful evil

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

snoremac posted:

Her arc is lost on me now but I recall her being fun and inoffensive. Why?

I recall people getting mad when they made her have a baby in the DLC when people were role-playing her as gay but I never played that.

She's a mercenary but doesn't seem to know it despite everyone calling her misthios, she gets mad at people for war profiteering and playing both sides when that's her job and the bulk of the game.

Gta had some disonnance but she was like if a gta character kept talking about how they would never steal a car.

Also ubisoft writing in general reads like a diff person is writing each line and trying to guess what's going on by context

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Xenoblade 3 is pretty good. Kind of surprised how dark the plot is (I guess not unheard of in a JRPG) and how the characters mostly talk like normal people (less typical of a JRPG)

Also 90% of the cast are british voice actors saying poo poo like "eh! You did a banging job killin that monsta! Oi, that a magic gem, innit?!"

and then there's one dude you meet like 10 hours in who talks literally like the nolan movie Batman. So you have a bunch of twee teens yelling british accent anime attacks with a random growl of "I AM VENGEANCE!!! I AM... THE NIGHT!" tossed in.

A+

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!

Vishass posted:

Also 90% of the cast are british voice actors saying poo poo like "eh! You did a banging job killin that monsta! Oi, that a magic gem, innit?!"

I always put on Japanese voices on RPGs but make exceptions for the dragon quest and xenoblade franchises, I'm glad that they never screwed with what made xenoblade 1 charming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkleWwOOVvc

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

She's a mercenary but doesn't seem to know it despite everyone calling her misthios, she gets mad at people for war profiteering and playing both sides when that's her job and the bulk of the game.

Gta had some disonnance but she was like if a gta character kept talking about how they would never steal a car.

Also ubisoft writing in general reads like a diff person is writing each line and trying to guess what's going on by context

you also have standard Ubisoft getting poo poo wrong in their actual writing. admittedly if they actually portrayed spartan society as it actually was they'd make most of the player base refuse to do anything with them but I feel like their has to be a decent middle ground between "100% historically accurate" and "let's portray the system where children are systemically abused cumulating with them murdering a slave as Funtime Summer Camp"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Haha I remember this now. And you'd join either Sparta or Athens to win a random battle and then the opposite side next battle ad nauseam effectively just killing indiscriminately for money while Kassandra in story would opine against that exact thing.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1555588716206247936 hnng

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

why wait you can already buy this for $200 (making the cabinet yourself is fun)
https://www.amazon.com/LEONARCADE-Function-Videojuegos-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B09BKVJTC7/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So they made a new CoD MW 2 but it's not a remake of Cod MW2 it's a new game that just reuses the name?