Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

If this gets reversed after he gets literally stabbed in the heart and rain falls on him while his prized childhood possession gets stained with blood that doesn't make any of this less silly. as with the traitor the question is less "which outcome will horikoshi go for" and more "what is this, how did we get here, what is the point even"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Remember when the funny french kid was writing threatening messages with cheese

Good times

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

If there is one thing I know for sure it is that dramatic 'this character is doomed' scenes in shonen are always what they appear, especially in cliffhangers.

In unrelated news I can't believe the invisible girl was the traitor all along.

It really, really doesn't matter if Bakugo is actually dead or if Eri rolls in and saves him or something. If anything, if he lives it'll make this all even more loving pointless because this entire fight been a holding pattern where nothing is loving happening besides an endless cavalcade of heroes lining up for their big "this is everything I have! take this!" moments and accomplishing nothing at all as Shigaraki completely no-sells everything that happens to him but also fails to meaningfully cripple/kill any of the heroes who are failing to harm him.

I don't really want Bakugo to die because he's one of the few interesting characters left in the manga but fuuuuck I'd like something to actually happen that matters.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 5, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I got into this manga because it had a great premise and didn't waste any time.

The premise is now shockingly stupid and the last 6 chapters have been nonstop wastes of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

answer honestly, do you think that's why people are nonplussed with this update

Yes, a significant amount of people are reacting like this is going to stick and not a plot beat before another plot beat.

Like I agree the villains are boring but come on.

(Vigilantes remains the better manga)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

The premise is now shockingly stupid and the last 6 chapters have been nonstop wastes of time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

glad to hear! you're wrong.

i don't even need to summarize why you're wrong, the last two pages of posts have done it just fine. this is frustration with an ongoing pattern (which is common to way more floundering stories than just MHA), not a single event

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I mean I guess maybe I'm not bothered because I went into MHA expecting Japanese American Superheroes and that is exactly what this is, a big dumb event comic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

If there is one thing I know for sure it is that dramatic 'this character is doomed' scenes in shonen are always what they appear, especially in cliffhangers.

In unrelated news I can't believe the invisible girl was the traitor all along.

You're incredibly stupid if you think this isn't poo poo even knowing there's gonna be some attempt at a reveal.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, a significant amount of people are reacting like this is going to stick and not a plot beat before another plot beat.

far and away the most common complaint over the last few pages is that nothing sticks, and this is stupid whether it sticks or not

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yeah... I'm just gonna think of Heroes Rising as the canon ending

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It doesn't really matter to be honestly if Bakugo dies or not since the options are either he had his super move that cost him his life and he sacrificed himself with the payoff being Shigaraki once again powers through it effortlessly and gets more smug, or they revive him and the entire moment is even more of a waste of time.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I've been a pretty big defender of MHA and the last few chapters have just been absolute loving garbage

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Like I agree the villains are boring but come on.

(Vigilantes remains the better manga)

Everyone itt is literally complaining that for all this pomp and bullshit none of it matters and it hasn't since this fight started. It's just him trying to get an incredibly boring villain over by going "Big heroic moment! Didn't matter lol!" Over andnover.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have to ask- do people here just not read battle shonen series or something because "The big bad completely kicks the poo poo out of the ancillary/side cast as they throw their best stuff at them" and "The big bad (presumably) kills the MC's friend and/or rival" is some extremely, extremely, extremely well-trodden ground

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this isn't even a big dumb event, it's a death spiral, and i can count the number of stories that have successfully escaped it on one hand

vigilantes was different because that punchup was between the main protag and the big villain, so things were allowed to happen even if it dragged on way too long. but this endless trudge where side characters line up and go "now i'm gonna get 'im...oh whoops guess not haha" as the villain gets more and more powerful to justify his constant victories (all over the course of a single months-long encounter) has happened over and over and it sucks every single time

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I have to ask- do people here just not read battle shonen series or something because "The big bad completely kicks the poo poo out of the ancillary/side cast as they throw their best stuff at them" and "The big bad (presumably) kills the MC's friend and/or rival" is some extremely, extremely, extremely well-trodden ground

idk how to explain to you that stories are not just piles of beats and tropes and something that is done well in one series can be done exceedingly poorly in another

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

glad to hear! you're wrong.

i don't even need to summarize why you're wrong, the last two pages of posts have done it just fine. this is frustration with an ongoing pattern (which is common to way more floundering stories than just MHA), not a single event

Vinylshadow posted:

The fujoshi are going to eat Hori alive

Carlosologist posted:

I’m not even the biggest Bakugo fan but this is butt

CuwiKhons posted:

Bakugo has won the Japanese Popularity Poll every year except the first one. I'm not sure they will like it.

Yes this is certainly a discussion that doesn't begin from the assumption that this isn't a long term permanent event that fans are going to riot over.

Remember how furious OP fans got when it looked like Zoro was literally seeing death come for him after ingesting a legally dangerous drug.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

Also, why can the chimaera turn into a gun? What part of a zebra do you need to shoot plasma?

Pistol shrimp.

Fabricated posted:

It's not that it's not novel, it's that it's not done well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

this isn't even a big dumb event, it's a death spiral, and i can count the number of stories that have successfully escaped it on one hand

vigilantes was different because that punchup was between the main protag and the big villain, so things were allowed to happen even if it dragged on way too long. but this endless trudge where side characters line up and go "now i'm gonna get 'im...oh whoops guess not haha" as the villain gets more and more powerful to justify his constant victories (all over the course of a single months-long encounter) has happened over and over and it sucks every single time
Thst is literally what American event comics are. Heroes getting chunked both in thr main story and in their own books because the event doesn't end before the final issue. Also sometimes a Titan dies on every page.

Like I don't *like* it but this is written like a more shonen version of 90% of megacrossovers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fabricated posted:

Perfect cell personally attacked Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, and Trunks. He sent underlings after the rest. The anime threw in the rest of the cast uselessly throwing beams at him for the finale, but that was more to give them something to do and didn't change much.

Compared to this, and other similar shonen situations, DBZ feels like Citizen Kane.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Bakugo thing is either going to be him getting killed off suddenly (which would be weird for Shiggy to do if he's supposed to be redeemed), another fake out cliffhanger that amounts to another Gran Torino-esque fake-out death (which would be extremely stupid), or it's going to make "Bak U Go" canon (which would also be extremely stupid).

Brandfarlig posted:

Also, why can the chimaera turn into a gun? What part of a zebra do you need to shoot plasma?

Honestly, I'm still stuck on this part.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pistol shrimp.

:golfclap:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The Bakugo thing is either going to be him getting killed off suddenly (which would be weird for Shiggy to do if he's supposed to be redeemed), another fake out cliffhanger that amounts to another Gran Torino-esque fake-out death (which would be extremely stupid), or it's going to make "Bak U Go" canon (which would also be extremely stupid).

Honestly, I'm still stuck on this part.

:golfclap:

what's "Bak U Go"?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If MHA really wanted to follow shonen tropes he would be having all the background characters involved in fighting the stable of secondary antagonists while Deku and Shigaraki fought it out with maybe one other person sacrificing themselves beforehand (in one chapter) to up the stakes and show how badass the main villain was.

This is just them throwing pretty much everyone at Shigaraki/OFA (including introducing new ones to get killed as well) when the plot says Deku has to do it and having a volume worth of comics to get the point across.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

what's "Bak U Go"?

Bakugo looks like the second OFA user, so the theory is that somehow he gets time traveled (since Eri's quirk establishes time manipulation is within the realm of possibility for quirks) to the past to become the second user. Hori is clearly indicating further parallels between them in this chapter (which probably is just because deku is about to arrive and finally awaken the second users quirk, but hey), and it would be a way to have his cake and eat it too on bakugo's death, and also no one has any faith in his plotting anymore, so it suddenly seems much more plausible to people than before.

Eggplant Squire posted:

If MHA really wanted to follow shonen tropes he would be having all the background characters involved in fighting the stable of secondary antagonists

it's gonna be incredible to go back to gashley(?) and kunieda(?) and toga and spinner after this lol.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

what's "Bak U Go"?

The theory that Bakugo is the 2nd OFA user by way of time travel.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

what's "Bak U Go"?

It's the fandom name for the "Bakugou went back in time to become the second AfO holder" theory.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ohhhh "Back you go" okay I get it now was still reading like it like his name. Thanks!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bakugo: Heh felt like getting by a truck *dies and isekais into the past*

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's weird to be that they set up all these other side fights like Uraraka and Froppy vs Toga, or Mina and Kirishima defending Gigantomachia's prison, whatever is happening with Spinner, or that final assassin going after Aoyama, and then just cut right to Endeavor fighting All For One and then to Shiggy vs Bakugou and the others. Are all those other fights just going to happen offscreen or are we going to jarringly cut away from Bakugou's "death" to some of those before returning to Deku finally arriving? They also showed Deku running into "something" on his way to the final battle, so we still have to find out what that was about too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also there's two different people who can wish away booboos if conditions are met. So who knows tbh.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
on the one hand, a fakeout death wouldn't be too surprising cuz tropes and this fight is effectively meaningless until Deku finishes running Snake Way

on the other hand, "family members suddenly looking up into the sky for no reason" is Shonen shorthand for "this person is loving dead as hell"

on the other other hand, this series sucks my rear end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

on the one hand, a fakeout death wouldn't be too surprising cuz tropes and this fight is effectively meaningless until Deku finishes running Snake Way

on the other hand, "family members suddenly looking up into the sky for no reason" is Shonen shorthand for "this person is loving dead as hell"

on the other other hand, this series sucks my rear end

Knuckleduster would like a word with you.

To be fair though I liked that because it was subverted with 'gently caress your needless heroic sacrifice you dumbass'

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Also there's two different people who can wish away booboos if conditions are met. So who knows tbh.

I would almost forgive the past few chapters if we got entire chapters of Recovery Girl kissing everyone to make them feel better

Almost

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I pretty much gave up when Shiggy started growing body parts Just Because. The explanation was flimsy and there was zero precedent for it at any point in the story.

There is no big payoff we're waiting for anymore. It's just turned into a kid smashing action figures into each other and making them fight and/or kiss.

What's probably gonna happen now is it turns out Deku's final bonus quirk is another Rewind or super healing ability. Maybe. I dunno.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah like if the feeling when most popular character Bakugo dies with his parents looking towards the sky is LMAO in don't really see the rest of this comic having a satisfactory resolution.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Horikoshi just draw 10 chapters of Mirko kicking rear end again

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
She doesn’t even need to be in this fight because it sucks, just do a what-if or something

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
https://twitter.com/JayKnY/status/1554861273367678976?t=c3eplXDGNhX8DLxc0joQpw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I could not tell what the gently caress was going on in about half the panels in this chapter. lmao if bakugo dies to big bad no selling his brink of death shounen power up. why even waste panels explaining it if he just immediately dies???