Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Whilst a noble sentiment, personally a little less forgiveness for the rich and powerful would do the world some good.

I dunno, I'd just like him to face jail time and more money costs than what is made in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He has other legal issues coming up, including a functionally identical case in Connecticut which is far less friendly on the payout front. He's hosed up. The actual judgement in this aren't going to hit him hard, but the result of his phone information getting out is going to destroy him. And it got the feds interested in him.

He lost, he just didn't lose big number right now.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

He’s got the resources to tie everything up until he dies a free man, old and fat

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Criss-cross posted:

That's pretty disingenuous. They spend most of their time outside the Senate Chamber calling people for bribes, it's certainly a very demanding job because they have to suck up to the money constantly.

Best paid phone sales job ever though

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
the stock buyback tax seems like a better bigger deal than raising the carried interest imo

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Not a Children posted:

He’s got the resources to tie everything up until he dies a free man, old and fat

drunk, with piles of stimulants for the rest of his days.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mulva posted:

He has other legal issues coming up, including a functionally identical case in Connecticut which is far less friendly on the payout front. He's hosed up. The actual judgement in this aren't going to hit him hard, but the result of his phone information getting out is going to destroy him. And it got the feds interested in him.

He lost, he just didn't lose big number right now.

Are those other proceedings going to conclude within this decade? That's been his strategy since day one; gently caress around on everything, in every way imaginable and quite a few ways not, and then find out by paying less than a month's income. So far, it's looking like a pretty good strategy.

I'm open to the idea that he's royally boned, but the time table loving blows, the level of poo poo headedness it took to get this minor of an outcome on this one and the gob smacking incompetence/dumb fuckery it took to set up any potential future outcomes is doing the opposite of inspiring confidence in our judicial system. Many, many, many other equally lovely or worse people are also rich enough to purchase the outcome they want.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Whilst a noble sentiment, personally a little less forgiveness for the rich and powerful would do the world some good.

I dunno, I'd just like him to face jail time and more money costs than what is made in a month.

This is more directed to all the people saying she shouldn't forgive him because what good does that do not to you Josef. Sometimes people forgive because it helps them move past the trauma and move on from what happened to them. She has been inflicted upon by this rear end in a top hat and if forgiveness helps her move on, I am not going to call her out for it.

But also, gently caress this guy may he keep getting blasted by numerous lawsuits and live out his life poor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The last few months have had economic data come in that continues to defy all expectations of what should be happening (in good and very bad ways).

The trend continues this month.

- Wages started rising even faster, more than twice as many jobs were created as expected, but GDP growth shrank two quarters ago and the preliminary numbers (although, these could be revised when the final numbers come in) seem to indicate that GDP shrank in the last quarter.

- GDP shrinking while wages rise, inflation rises, job growth is massive, and unemployment is at an almost historic low defies what everyone expected to happen (the answer is weird pandemic/supply chain stuff, but nobody can really predict how long it will last or how significant it will be because it keeps defying expectations.)

- The bad news about the good news: That could indicate that the next inflation report will show inflation rising again (and this itself would be another almost unprecedented situation because energy prices and gas were driving about 50% of the inflationary pressure and gas has collapsed in price by about 20% in the last two months.)

Also, it is going to motivate the FED to raise rates even more to cool down the economy. If the FED can raise rates a lot without tanking the economy, then that is great. But, raising rates even more quickly and with all this uncertainty and unprecedented economic reactions makes it very hard to not overcorrect, cool off more than you needed to, and trigger a recession.

In an era of low inflation, this would all be incredible news. But, the context of high inflation means that this could be a sign of a wage/price spiral that keeps inflation higher - which makes it much more mixed - especially when factoring in the potential for an overreaction or underreaction from the FED.

This is what they mean when they say, "May you live in interesting times." is a curse. Even potentially very positive news could be a sign of impending bad news. Or maybe not! Get ready for another year of chronic uncertainty about the economy!

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1555531745054818305
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1555532572024885249
https://twitter.com/SteveRattner/status/1555532095912550402
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1555533669179068416
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1555538352379764737

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 5, 2022

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How is anyone continuing to accept the framing that prices rising is "inflation" instead of the obvious of companies just raising prices to cover for lost profits due to the pandemic?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inflation is an umbrella term that covers exactly that, but also a lot of other different things that lead to prices rising. It isn't its own specific phenomenon. If you wanted, you could define inflation as the price of the Costco hotdog (and soda) and it'd be totally flat.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/hom/cpi/data.htm

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 5, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mercury_Storm posted:

How is anyone continuing to accept the framing that prices rising is "inflation" instead of the obvious of companies just raising prices to cover for lost profits due to the pandemic?

There are actual supply-side and logistical causes for inflation. Plus, it's not like companies in every single country in the world all suddenly realized they should be trying to maximize profits and hadn't been trying before.

That is absolutely a part of it (especially in specific industries with minimal competition, like meat producers or bike manufacturers), but the main triggers were supply-side/supply chain issues, changing spending habits due to the pandemic (far less spending/demand for services and experiences and far more spending/demand for material goods), and energy costs.

The extremely literal textbook definition of inflation is the relative devaluing of a currency, but people are generally using inflation as shorthand for price increases and supply problems of specific items/staple items or costs of living in general.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The extremely literal textbook definition of inflation is the relative devaluing of a currency, but people are generally using inflation as shorthand for price increases and supply problems of specific items/staple items or costs of living in general.

Certainly not the case for the US as anyone who purchases imports can tell you.

Seems the only thing causing the inflation is dragons hoarding their wealth. If CEOs, land lords, shareholders, and other pariahs of society were to lower their income to reasonable levels, there wouldn’t be this strain on the average citizen.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Seems the only thing causing the inflation is dragons hoarding their wealth. If CEOs, land lords, shareholders, and other pariahs of society were to lower their income to reasonable levels, there wouldn’t be this strain on the average citizen.

It's definitely part of it, but there would still be issues where supply shortages drive up prices because of demand. China, India, the U.S., E.U., etc aren't going to be able to reduce their consumption of oil and gas dramatically in the short-term. The famous baby formula shortage is an example of something that most people who are buying them don't consider optional and they will be willing to pay higher prices for access to it.

Housing is another example of a supply side price problem. There aren't enough houses in the desirable areas of the U.S. to accommodate the amount of people who want to live there. It is a supply driven problem. If you redistributed from the pariahs of society, then it would help in a lot of areas, but if more people who wanted to buy homes in SF had the money to, then the house prices would continue to go up because even more people with even more money will be competing for them. There is plenty of land and ability to build houses in the U.S., but tens of millions of people want to live in one of the few million houses in NYC or SF and they don't want to move to Bumblefuck Alabama (no offense to Bumblefuck, Alabama).

If fewer people wanted to live there or there were many more housing units than people, then you'd see it even out.

It's the same reason that Florida has moved from one of the cheapest places to live in the U.S. to one of the most expensive. There is a massive influx of people wanting to move there, but no corresponding increase in housing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Does it count as "not enough housing" when investors and Airbnb sociopaths are constantly hoovering up every last home in sight?^

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Two grocery stores near me; one is Safeway and one is a regional employee-owned coop chain. Safeway has jacked up prices of dry goods 2-3x. The coop has seen their prices stay relatively flat. :thunk:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mooseontheloose posted:

This is more directed to all the people saying she shouldn't forgive him because what good does that do not to you Josef. Sometimes people forgive because it helps them move past the trauma and move on from what happened to them. She has been inflicted upon by this rear end in a top hat and if forgiveness helps her move on, I am not going to call her out for it.

But also, gently caress this guy may he keep getting blasted by numerous lawsuits and live out his life poor.

For sure. But I, personally, wish that people would extend forgiveness and care to people who have not done direct harm to large groups of people. It's purely personal ofc and if this helps her then good on her.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The availability of housing isn’t some strange phenomenon. There’s plenty of land and houses today.

However greed is the overwhelming force here from monopolies in lumber(https://idahocapitalsun.com/2022/08/04/idahos-lumber-industry-is-more-consolidated-than-ever/) to builders wanting the bleed everyone dry instead so their profits aren’t impacted (https://www.fastcompany.com/90775187/bad-news-for-the-housing-crisis-its-getting-more-expensive-to-build-everywhere) to the air BNB cris that was happening before covid(https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jul/31/landlords-evicting-tenants-for-airbnb-and-holidays-lets-report-finds).

All easily solvable problems if one isn’t an immoral capitalist.

Professor Beetus posted:

^Does it count as "not enough housing" when investors and Airbnb sociopaths are constantly hoovering up every last home in sight?^

Two grocery stores near me; one is Safeway and one is a regional employee-owned coop chain. Safeway has jacked up prices of dry goods 2-3x. The coop has seen their prices stay relatively flat. :thunk:

Exactly. Supply chain did cause a few pain points but nothing that would cause the impact “economists” are claiming it has.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well I certainly wouldn't ever extend forgiveness to someone who has remained callous, cruel, and shown absolutely no remorse or contrition. But hey, I don't think in this case it really matters what any of us think, and I feel like forgiveness is a personal matter and she is not obligated to keep the hate flame burning for our edification

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah. The rental unit vacancy rate for the country is around 5% (and down to around 2-3% in some major cities) and the homeowner vacancy rate is less than 1%.

They are exacerbating the problem, but the reason they are getting in is that the problem already existed and makes it profitable to get in.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hell, unconditional forgiveness is part of the religious doctrine of many people

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The availability of housing isn’t some strange phenomenon. There’s plenty of land and houses today.

However greed is the overwhelming force here from monopolies in lumber(https://idahocapitalsun.com/2022/08/04/idahos-lumber-industry-is-more-consolidated-than-ever/) to builders wanting the bleed everyone dry instead so their profits aren’t impacted (https://www.fastcompany.com/90775187/bad-news-for-the-housing-crisis-its-getting-more-expensive-to-build-everywhere) to the air BNB cris that was happening before covid(https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jul/31/landlords-evicting-tenants-for-airbnb-and-holidays-lets-report-finds).

All easily solvable problems if one isn’t an immoral capitalist.

We literally don't have enough housing in this country. And while the AirBnBs and corporate buying of housing is ALSO a problem. We need to build more houses and housing.

Like literally, suburban areas purposefully slowed down housing development for decades.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Well I certainly wouldn't ever extend forgiveness to someone who has remained callous, cruel, and shown absolutely no remorse or contrition. But hey, I don't think in this case it really matters what any of us think, and I feel like forgiveness is a personal matter and she is not obligated to keep the hate flame burning for our edification

I don't think the person who forgave him or her ex-husband regularly listen to Alex Jones's show.

Nor should they. Nor should anyone.

Mooseontheloose posted:

This is correct in essentials. Forgiveness is about the person who is doing the forgiving. It doesn't mean they have to interact with, praise or even think about the person they forgive. It also doesn't mean they can't feel negative emotions about the hurt someone caused them or ongoing hurt.

It is about coming to an understanding, accepting and moving on

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 5, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

We literally don't have enough housing in this country. And while the AirBnBs and corporate buying of housing is ALSO a problem. We need to build more houses and housing.

Like literally, suburban areas purposefully slowed down housing development for decades.

“Overly restrictive zoning is a big problem nationally, says Robert Dietz, the chief economist with the National Association of Home Builders. "In certain neighborhoods you simply cannot build townhouses."

"You have to build single family units on lots that are bigger than the market wants," Dietz says. "This is not a free market choice. It's a government-imposed rule."

He says that in many parts of the country, the classic NIMBY (not in my back yard) opposition stops higher-density units from being built. Existing homeowners who don't want more traffic and more homes in their neighborhood keep what he says are outdated, exclusionary zoning rules in place.

This is a solvable issue. This can be solved quite literally today. Just need the party in power to find their morals.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just building more housing isn't going to alleviate any problems if nothing else is changed. Housing of all types getting more expensive forever is basically what our economy is based on now that the petit and parasites are neck deep in it, so building more isn't putting the beast on the defensive, it's making it even stronger. Where have rents gone down anywhere that had a boom in construction? Certainly hasn't been the case here.

World Famous W posted:

Hell, unconditional forgiveness is part of the religious doctrine of many people

Forgiveness is a deeply personal thing but can still be a contentious point among victims. I remember in the film Emanuel about the Dylan Roof shooting, one of the people interviewed said they were frustrated that someone used their chance to speak to him to forgive him because it gave the media carte blanche to ignore any rage others were feeling. That said, it's imho something I don't have any business venturing an opinion on and if anybody is unhappy the target should be our justice system that obviously has no ability to actually harm sociopathic profiteers like Jones until they hurt someone who is powerful.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is a solvable issue. This can be solved quite literally today. Just need the party in power to find their morals.

the national democratic party can't impose density zoning on localities VBC.

edit:

join us in the urban planning thread.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 5, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

There's plenty of land, but not plenty of houses where people really want to live.

You can buy plenty of nice houses for around $100k in Youngstown, Ohio or many of the other places where all that land is. But, the reason those houses sell for $100k or less is that nobody wants to live there. It's why the 400 square foot condo in downtown SF goes for 16x as much as the nicer 2,000 square foot house in Greensboro, Alabama.

The U.S. has the smallest ratio of houses to individuals that it has had since they started keeping track of the data.

The homeowner vacancy rate is the lowest it has ever been and the rental unit vacancy rate is the lowest it has been in 38 years.

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1554582746063937536
https://twitter.com/IDoTheThinking/status/1554517938798899200

Kale
May 14, 2010

I still can't get over how 15-20 years ago the Cheney brand was about as bad as it got in the GOP. War hawking, secretiveness, shooting a guy in the face and getting the guy that got shot to apologize and just generally being a well...Dick. And yet nowadays the optics of the day have them cast as the reasonable faction of the GOP that can sit down for an interview and possibly make it through without flagrantly lying or making the whole discussion about petty grievances. Again this is the Cheney family....aka the patriarch of which had his Chief of Staff leak secrets about Valerie Plames husband out of spite when he was VP, so he's no stranger to petty grievance.....and yet he and his daughter are "the good ones" in today's GOP who you'd rather see when her primary over the alternative since there's a chance she might give a gently caress about what happens to the Republic in her lifetime versus whatever horror show Trump endorsed that probably only cares about saddling up for the next culture war. It's like the difference between a petty grievance a year versus a grievance an hour.

It's hard not to notice that Trump seems to have a very specific strategy of late of endorsing batshit bonkers women, often of some level of non-WASP ethnicity or background to try to pick off non-aligned voters that might traditionally lean democrat if left to their own devices, while also realizing that the way his base just blindly follows him they'll still vote for anyone he endorses despite their normally held prejudices as long as he's the one advocating for them and they go full guns blazing culture war in their campaign rhetoric from the moment they're out of the gate to the finish line of election day. It's probably the best strategy he has available for trying to push his preferred type of candidate over the edge in GOP Primaries.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 5, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epic High Five posted:

Just building more housing isn't going to alleviate any problems if nothing else is changed. Housing of all types getting more expensive forever is basically what our economy is based on now that the petit and parasites are neck deep in it, so building more isn't putting the beast on the defensive, it's making it even stronger. Where have rents gone down anywhere that had a boom in construction? Certainly hasn't been the case here.

It basically always does in low supply markets. The problem is that you have to build a lot all at once.

Every 1% increase in total housing stock for a geographic area correlates to a 0.4% to 0.7% reduction in the average rents for an area.

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/224569/1/vfs-2020-pid-39662.pdf

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mooseontheloose posted:

the national democratic party can't impose density zoning on localities VBC.

edit:

join us in the urban planning thread.

you can tie funding and grants to the adoption of certain zoning rules just like the federal government couldn't impose a 21 year old drinking age on the states or treating boys and girls education equally on the private universities and then did it anyway.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Epic High Five posted:

Minneapolis, where I live, has been doing pretty darn good and has had a slight decrease in average rent for the first half of this year. Here's a good article: https://streets.mn/2022/05/06/minneapolis-rents-drop/

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 5, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yeah though I can't believe we're probably going to have like the 6th or 7th election in a row where the GOP's campaign is all but entirely shaped by culture wars. Like it's just become one of the most exhausting things that the United States engages in. Every election cycle where this poo poo is front and center stage and the key issue being discussed the whole drat concept of a "United" States looks that much more like total horseshit and an ode to bygone days when gentleman's agreements and "decorum" was enough to hold things together and give the illusion of competent responsible government.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

nine-gear crow posted:

This was actually a thing that InfoWars did, showed a before and after photo of Jones after completing like a six week course of his own weight loss pills and literally the only noticeable different between the two pictures was that Jones' skin had gotten considerably, concernedly redder.

Weirdest thing about this before/after pic is the after pic there appears to be a dark handprint on his abdomen?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

Weirdest thing about this before/after pic is the after pic there appears to be a dark handprint on his abdomen?

That's not the weirdest thing IMO

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I would suggest being more forgiving. Forgiveness isn’t about someone deserving forgiveness, forgiveness is for your own sake. If you’re being honest and self-reflective, I think you’ll realize that when you hold a grudge, it hurts you much more than the other person.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I don’t think people who lost children should care about if the rest of us think think what they say is a “noble sentiment” it ain’t about us, or the person they’re forgiving.

It’s about them and what they need to do to keep living.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Re: Forgiveness

Bastards will deliberately conflate the idea of forgiveness with the idea of absolution, to the point where many people with noble intentions will also conflate the two. Forgiving someone does not absolve them of their crimes, it does nothing but purge the negativity from oneself.

For the guilty, this confusion is a win/win. Either they are forgiven, and the public believes they are absolved and thus free from continued scrutiny, or those wronged shut the hell up and consume themselves with grief. Because forgiveness is incorrectly seen as an act of moral judgment, which it most assuredly is not.

To forgive is not only an act of self compassion, it is a display of tremendous inner strength and defiance.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Epic High Five posted:

Forgiveness is a deeply personal thing but can still be a contentious point among victims. I remember in the film Emanuel about the Dylan Roof shooting, one of the people interviewed said they were frustrated that someone used their chance to speak to him to forgive him because it gave the media carte blanche to ignore any rage others were feeling. That said, it's imho something I don't have any business venturing an opinion on and if anybody is unhappy the target should be our justice system that obviously has no ability to actually harm sociopathic profiteers like Jones until they hurt someone who is powerful.

germany and japan, the two developed nations with the most affordable rent have attained this through the magic idea of building units to match increases in population. Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities in the world yet the average price for a studio with kitchen in shibuya is around $800 USD , In berlin you could be looking at around 1000 euros which would make it competitive with cosmopolises like Cleveland and Nashville in the US to live in one of the world's great capitals.if you see cranes everywhere and they build 5000 units but your city at the same time has 10,000 more households then there's going to be an increase in rent because demand is higher than supply. housing construction in the US and especially in big cities takes forever to work through the permits, and then once you do get the permits in order some NIMBYs will organize a campaign against it. It can take several years before you even put something in the ground. That means in realistic terms that demand is almost always going to be higher than supply in the us. Even when there is construction taking place its responding to the demand from 6-7 years ago not the demand from today so by the time the needs of the people from 7 years ago is filled there's now a couple thousand more who need housing and are pushing prices up.

the housing shortage is a housing shortage and pricing is really just a way to ration things. even if we instituted perfect loophole-free rent control, even if we make housing absoultey free, if there are more people who need housing than housing available there are going to be people who end up homeless. Instead of poor people, it will be people who are at the back of the voucher line or who haven't resided in an area for long enough or so forth. But when there isn't enough of something to go around people get left out in the cold and in the end the only legit solution to the problem that will actually work is the simplest one, make it so there is enough to go around. Housing is a limited resource only because we want it to be because people have convinced themselves that their communites not changing is the most important thing and they don't understand that having population growth without having architecture or density change is a recipe for disaster.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the housing shortage is a housing shortage and pricing is really just a way to ration things. even if we instituted perfect loophole-free rent control, even if we make housing absoultey free, if there are more people who need housing than housing available there are going to be people who end up homeless. Instead of poor people, it will be people who are at the back of the voucher line or who haven't resided in an area for long enough or so forth. But when there isn't enough of something to go around people get left out in the cold and in the end the only legit solution to the problem that will actually work is the simplest one, make it so there is enough to go around. Housing is a limited resource only because we want it to be because people have convinced themselves that their communites not changing is the most important thing and they don't understand that having population growth without having architecture or density change is a recipe for disaster.

This is a good post. Just to expand slightly on this part, we can look at Sweden for how rent control alone hasn't fixed housing issues when there's a lack of places to live: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58317555.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to forgiveness I recommend giving The Sunflower by Wiesenthal a read. It follows an account of a Jewish prisoner being asked by a nazi soldier for forgiveness and then posits the question to some big thinkers about the answer could be.