Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Would like to say it'd be the first one with an ad pivot but I'm going to have to double check that's true

Belch to ad pivot sounds like our new national anthem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Imagine the revenue the US treasury could generate if they started putting ads on a dollar bill.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mojo1701a posted:

Imagine the revenue the US treasury could generate if they started putting ads on a dollar bill.

what for like bonds?

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
James Bonds

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

pixaal posted:

what for like bonds?

(THIS SPACE FOR RENT) on each printed dollar bill.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Did this fucker drop an objection during jury instructions

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

So what the hell is this objection for? I mean, they're just giving jury instructions like the last time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What last minute bs is Reynal pulling now?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

lmao fuckin' reynal

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

"Objection, your honour. Just wanted to say that this jury is full of beautiful people who are doing a bang-up job and we're lucky to be standing in their presence."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Judge Gamble took a break to go scream into a pillow

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Judge going to scream in the hallway

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
reynal be reynalling

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Judge just gonna take a little breaky now. A little breaky for the judge.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

teen witch posted:

She’s got a little voodoo doll of Shitball in her chambers. Gonna go cut an arm off and light its hair on fire or something.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

she couldn't even form sentences

can't wait for them sanctions, baby

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just for a snifter of brandy and some smelling salts.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
How badly did alex jones get his poo poo pushed in today I just woke up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Madkal posted:

What last minute bs is Reynal pulling now?

Judge said something like "you agreed to the charges and didn't object when they were first read," so I'm assuming he's taking one last shot at getting charges altered before jury deliberations a mistrial declared.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Weird, someone just saw the judge walking into the liquor store across the street.

Didn't even bother to take her robe off.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Love that judge had to explain that she didn't slam the door shut, it was the wind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MLSM posted:

How badly did alex jones get his poo poo pushed in today I just woke up

The most he's getting pushed in today is $750k.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm going to miss the judge.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

spinst posted:

Weird, someone just saw the judge walking into the liquor store across the street.

I don't trust anyone in the legal profession that doesn't already hold a bottle of something in their chambers for just such an emergency.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mr. Nice! posted:

The end of Infowars forever!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Can't wait for all these jurors to start suing Jones next given they'll be harassed once the trial is over.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

spinst posted:

Can't wait for all these jurors to start suing Jones next given they'll be harassed once the trial is over.

2 of them are probably going to be offered jobs at infowars.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

spinst posted:

And all the people that just happen to have the same or similar names to the jurors.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

wit posted:

Wonder if his legal team expects to get paid. Jones seemed genuinely shocked about the phone data but the way he said "so you DID get my emails" suggests that he and his team knew there was a possibility this would happen. Definitely would be surprised if that team gets another client in his life. They can't even throw a paralegal under the bus since they didn't do any of the legal kung fu that would have made the info protected in some way.

gently caress that jury decision though. At one point he was making $800,000 a day, so they've basically docked him a week's wages for siccing dangerous lunatics on grieving parents.

It sucks that he isn't being bankrupted into space but I can't blame the jury here as they literally fell into the trap created by lawmakers and insurance companies explicitly for this purpose.

In terms of damage and cost to "make good" by hiring security guards and paying for therapy, the cost isn't $150m. (Putting a dollar value on 'ruining someone's life is garbage' but is the whole point of the exercise).

Punitive damages are meant to be the mechanism for juries to go "ok even though the cost to repair the damage isn't that bad, your actions were still so hosed up we are taking all your money". Except capitalism is gonna capitalism and the law now -goes out of its way- to actually create this trap for juries to fall into, which is why it's illegal for the judge or lawyers to talk about.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mojo1701a posted:

And all the people that just happen to have the same or similar names to the jurors.

All jurors in general everywhere are part of the deep state.

In fact everyone is part of the deep state. Except me?

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Okay, so I know that everyone keeps saying "Oh, punitive is capped at $750k," but then other people are saying, "The jury doesn't know that punitive is capped at $750K."

So could it be that the jury intends to really stick it to Jones here, but doesn't know that their State Law will prevent that? Isn't that less a failure of the jury to carry out compensatory justice as it is a indication of how much the system protects the wealthy from consequence?

Lol, I'm just kidding, the jurors are all probably listening to InfoWars and nodding along. It's fuckin' Texas.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's 2x the compensatory + $750k. The KF guy said max would be around 9mil.

e: I used the wrong word

VVV No, that's the 4mil they got yesterday.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's 2x the monetary + $750k. The KF guy said max would be around 9mil.

2x economic damages, which are 0 I believe, although shouldn't they have some small amount of economic damages since they had to move and hire security guards and stuff?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

CT is probably going to go a bit better because 1) CT remembers this poo poo; everyone I know can tell you where they were when they heard the shooting happened. It would be difficult to get a jury with enough chuds on it who won't have an emotional reaction to hearing Jones call it fake and a hoax. 2) Leonard Pozner spent YEARS fighting misinformation about his son's death online and got endlessly harassed both on the internet and real life by the weirdos who believe Alex. He was instrumental in getting a bunch of InfoWars stuff taken off YouTube because Alex posted his personal details including home address online. His ex wife, Veronique De La Rosa, experienced a ton of harassment as well and is part of the suit. This is direct-can-tie-to-Infowars stuff. Alex was always more worried about the CT case, he did less loving around with representation here (even if Norm Pattis is not an ideal choice in any scenario) and launched this most recent bankruptcy sham to avoid this trial specifically.

I only want to say that while it may be difficult to get a jury that is chuddy enough, if you live here too, you know that there are plenty of shitbird right wingers in this state who adore trump and alex jones

It’s not impossible for the jury to be p. Chuddy, is all I’m saying

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Party Ape posted:

In terms of damage and cost to "make good" by hiring security guards and paying for therapy, the cost isn't $150m. (Putting a dollar value on 'ruining someone's life is garbage' but is the whole point of the exercise).

These are economic damages. They didn't ask for any of that. They asked for damage to reputation and for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Those aren't damages about "making good" because the harm is irreparable.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Confusedslight posted:

I'm going to miss the judge.

Apparently judges in many (all?) jurisdictions in the USA are elected. This isn't really relevant, but it surprised me as a Canuck.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Could htey claim future damages as well? Coz they're going to be on the run for the rest of their life. There's no way Alex will be able to stop Alex mouthing off about them for the next decade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's 2x the compensatory + $750k. The KF guy said max would be around 9mil.

e: I used the wrong word

VVV No, that's the 4mil they got yesterday.

No, they got 4.1m in non-economic compensatory damages for reputation damage and intentional infliction of emotion distress. Those are expressly non-economic according to tx code, and punitive damages are capped at 2x economic damages and 750k for non-economic damages.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Has there ever been a situation where a juror played dumb and then the trial is long over, and then was revealed to have like followed the case for a long time or have more knowledge than they let on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

madmatt112 posted:

Apparently judges in many (all?) jurisdictions in the USA are elected. This isn't really relevant, but it surprised me as a Canuck.

All Rise for the Honorable Judge Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson