Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Suplex Liberace posted:

They didn't even slow down! Like just trying to shoot the gap :(

Looks like a suicide to me
Sucks they probably killed at least one other person doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Found a pic of the driver:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

Found a pic of the driver:

Literally my reaction.

"We just saw some serious poo poo!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the cool thing about cars is it doesn't even need to be a guy committing suicide or on drugs, a simple mechanical function can create this level of fiery destruction

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

withak posted:

Tesla driver confused about why everyone they encounter is angrily flipping them off: “probably they are just jealous”

if one person is an rear end in a top hat to you they're an rear end in a top hat
if everyone is an rear end in a top hat to you you're an rear end in a top hat

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

paul_soccer12 posted:

I don't let teslas merge
Same goes for most luxury cars

You drive? :chloe:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
No I set up checkpoints on highways and scurry away when cops come

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

I do not understand what goes through your head when your blast 100mph down a city street. like freeways on, but a city street??

88 mph watch the clip again

edit: gently caress

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mayor Dave posted:

You drive? :chloe:

nope, remote controlling bollards

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Insane thing is, according to the article, the driver at fault loving survived

mystes
May 31, 2006

mortons stork posted:

Cool they'll probably do it again

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mortons stork posted:

loving how

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

speng31b posted:

loving how

The safety features of modern cars prioritize the driver above all! What an age of miracles

Mameluke posted:

88 mph watch the clip again

edit: gently caress

I know the reference but he was going waaaaay faster than 88.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

nope, remote controlling bollards

Now there's a power fantasy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a great argument to ban cars is that it should not be that easy to suddenly kill five people

mystes
May 31, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

a great argument to ban cars is that it should not be that easy to suddenly kill five people
By that logic we should ban guns which is obviously just nonsense

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

speng31b posted:

loving how

Modern cars are really good at keeping their occupants alive when they crash into something/someone. The people they hit? Not so much.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Sentenced to life imprisonment of having to live in America without possibility of parole

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jesus christ

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
the driver survived the crash (so far). :wtc:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the wonders of being drunk and grossly irresponsible

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't even wanna rewatch that poo poo. I didn't expect it to be that bad tbh. Like you just instantly know you witnessed fatalities

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

accidentally armed a nation of sociopaths with the car from Death Proof

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

mystes posted:

Cool they'll probably do it again

the car has tasted blood and it demands more

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Elric's black blade, except it's a car and you can't put it in Park until it's thirst is sated.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

of course it's a loving Mercedes too. What is it with people who can clearly afford an Uber or whatever completely refusing to do so

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the great thing about living in a car-based society is that anyone can do this to you at any time in any place :cheers:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hi everyone, just want to let you know that we can't start making roads safe for cyclists as long as a single cyclist is failing to wear hi-viz clothing. We also don't want drivers, who are already "overwhelmed by multiple visual stimuli" like pedestrians and stop signs and failing to keep up, to have to look out for cyclists, too, that would just be unfair and the drivers wouldn't be at fault for any accidents (but really are they "accidents" since it's the cyclists' fault for distracting the drivers? makes you think!) that occurred as a result.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/08/05/pozniak-we-need-responsible-cyclists-ahead-of-adding-bike-lanes/

quote:

As a way to make cycling safer, a bicycle advocacy group has requested that Boston create more protected bicycle lanes, an idea that other communities now deal with. I support bike safety, but before we create these controversial lanes, I believe that cyclists need to take greater responsibility for their personal safety which is oftentimes missing on the streets of our cities and towns.

Imagine driving a car or large delivery truck through heavy Boston traffic, day or night, and being overwhelmed by multiple visual stimuli which challenges the best of a driver’s concentration: traffic lights, jay walkers, stop signs, heavy pedestrian traffic, driver side doors suddenly opening, dogs running in front of vehicles, sudden brake lights, double parked cars, drivers backing into parking spaces, buses and trucks barreling through intersections, reckless drivers and emergency vehicles approaching from all directions with sirens and flashing lights. Add to the visual chaos the bicyclist who suddenly appears in front of you resulting in a near miss or a direct hit.

Before we start to establish bike lanes, I suggest that those who ride bicycles on state and municipal roadways take greater responsibly for their safety by obeying the rules of safe passage and commit to effective visual messaging of their presence which will help drivers avoid vehicle vs bicycle accidents.

The messaging that enhances cyclist visibility includes a bright flashing white light on the front of a bike and a flashing red light on the rear bumper. The rider should wear a safety helmet with either fluorescent safety stripes or a bright safety color covering the entire helmet. Cyclists should wear bright lime, yellow or orange safety vests, shirts or belts around the chest and waist, which will dramatically increase visibly and safety for the riders, and will make them stand out to drivers. I’ve had close calls with cyclists who suddenly appeared in front of me, or that I’ve encountered at dusk, dressed in dark clothing, with no safety equipment or apparel to help me see them from a safe distance..

I conducted an informal survey of bike riders in Harvard Square. Sitting at an outdoor cafe for 65 minutes on a Saturday, I counted 22 bicyclists going through this heavily trafficked area. I observed that only 50% wore a safety helmet, none featured a safety color or stripe, 80% had no safety lighting on their bikes, and 90% had no safety color clothing. There were some who ran red lights, forcing pedestrians to scatter, others were zigzagging through traffic resulting in screeching brakes and blowing car horns, and a rider actually had one hand on the handle bar and the other holding a cellphone to their ear. These were not reckless teenagers but adult cyclists.

Before we talk about bike lanes to provide safer passage for cyclists, let’s demand greater riding safety from cyclists which will greatly help prevent injury and death.

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Aug 5, 2022

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I've been fully radicalized anti-car (even though I rely on one myself) over the past 4 years from being a total 'cars are so convenient' living in a more remote area idiot and now I keep having dreams where out of control cars almost hit me

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Clark Nova posted:

the great thing about living in a car-based society is that anyone can do this to you at any time in any place :cheers:

buddy of mine bought a loaded Nissan Altima as a present to himself. lived at a condo building off a four lane road and it got hit twice while he was trying to pull out within eight months.

it was brand new so they wouldn't total it out, the rear wheel track was visibly offset from the front and it never drove well again. lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

cars are bad

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mystes posted:

Hi everyone, just want to let you know that we can't start making roads safe for cyclists as long as a single cyclist is failing to wear hi-viz clothing. We also don't want drivers, who are already "overwhelmed by multiple visual stimuli" like pedestrians and stop signs and failing to keep up, to have to look out for cyclists, too, that would just be unfair and the drivers wouldn't be at fault for any accidents (but really are they "accidents" since it's the cyclists' fault for distracting the drivers? makes you think!) that occurred as a result.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/08/05/pozniak-we-need-responsible-cyclists-ahead-of-adding-bike-lanes/

when i said that helmets are deployed as a rhetorical tool to prevent the kind of changes that would actually make cyclists safer, this is a very explicit version of what i was talking about. often it's through insinuation or inference; very kind of this guy to drop all the subtlety

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

Also don't forget that installing bike lanes is gentrification.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
if he weren't complaining about a lack of helmets on cyclists he'd be complaining about something else. They want cyclists gone completely, the argument they use to get there is immaterial.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some lady in NYC I think was comparing the bike sharing program to the holocaust a few years ago. They're absolutely deranged.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some lady in NYC I think was comparing the bike sharing program to the holocaust a few years ago. They're absolutely deranged.

the nazis used trains to transport jews to the death camps, not cars. makes you think.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

There's a 🚳 emoji but I can't find a no cars one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Suplex Liberace posted:

There's a 🚳 emoji but I can't find a no cars one :(

What should the no cars emoji be?