Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Didn’t Nichols ad-lib that? It definitely feels like something a 1966 writer wouldn’t ever come up with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Didn’t Nichols ad-lib that? It definitely feels like something a 1966 writer wouldn’t ever come up with.

I'm guessing a LOT of that scene might have been ad libbed, including Spock's "Take D'Artagnan here to sickbay." That sounds like Nimoy just threw in after a couple of takes that didn't quite land right.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Night10194 posted:

I love that Thomas Riker is just left in a prison camp forever, after promising they'll rescue him.

Just like the original Pope pre-Pope Karen remained stranded for all time on lovely dark souls planet.

My greatest hope for Lower Decks is that they find one of the earlier Weyouns stranded on a moon somewhere, alive, cross, asking if the Founders have won their inevitable war yet.

I've just started watching Lower Decks and I think I have a crush on Mariner.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it would be great if Boimler met Thomas Riker, there would be so much he assumes they have in common.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

it would be great if Boimler met Thomas Riker, there would be so much he assumes they have in common.

Would be equally hilarious of Thomas Riker also took a shine to Boimler, specifically because he sees something he can relate to in the weird shunned transporter clone-screwed abomination of existence.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Also, is it wrong for me to hope that Tendi turns temporarily evil for an episode just to hear Noël Wells channel some Lord Dominator energy again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Also, is it wrong for me to hope that Tendi turns temporarily evil for an episode just to hear Noël Wells channel some Lord Dominator energy again.

Putting her and Jack McBrayer on the opposite ends of the "ruthless psychopath trying to murder the all-loving cinnamon bun" dynamic from Wander Over Yonder in Season 1 was a nice twist though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Greatest Discovery's episode today starts with a pretty good interview with Anson Mount, in case anybody in here bounced off of Greatest Gen/Discovery because they're established podcasts with suites of in-jokes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

CPColin posted:

Greatest Discovery's episode today starts with a pretty good interview with Anson Mount, in case anybody in here bounced off of Greatest Gen/Discovery because they're established podcasts with suites of in-jokes.

I recently started listening to their TNG stuff from the beginning and now I'm finally understanding all the in-jokes they've had for years that I guess I found a bit funny over time but didn't always get how they made them up.

I could listen to them do their Kurn impression for hours though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Putting her and Jack McBrayer on the opposite ends of the "ruthless psychopath trying to murder the all-loving cinnamon bun" dynamic from Wander Over Yonder in Season 1 was a nice twist though.

Wells as Tendi really is adorable so it works well. Also, McBrayer gives great cute/psycho energy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Thom12255 posted:

I recently started listening to their TNG stuff from the beginning and now I'm finally understanding all the in-jokes they've had for years that I guess I found a bit funny over time but didn't always get how they made them up.

I could listen to them do their Kurn impression for hours though.

So could Kurn, because every time he hears it, it's just like the first time!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

there should be a Gorn baseball team on Cestus III that plays in the league there against the Pike City Pioneers

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
So, I've watched all but the second season finale, "First, First Contact." Thus far my favorite has been "wej Duj." Especially T'Lyn who comes off as Vulcan Mariner but without the high-ranking parents safety net. I also appreciated the Vulcan captain "punishing" her by sending her to a place where she's more likely to thrive.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everyone posted:

So, I've watched all but the second season finale, "First, First Contact." Thus far my favorite has been "wej Duj." Especially T'Lyn who comes off as Vulcan Mariner but without the high-ranking parents safety net. I also appreciated the Vulcan captain "punishing" her by sending her to a place where she's more likely to thrive.

I got the impression that the captain was her dad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

I got the impression that the captain was her dad.

I guess it's possible but I didn't see any proof one way or the other. T'Lyn struck me as a prodigy who'd perhaps been given some extra leeway for being a prodigy. She put together programs to improve both the long range sensors and the shields. On a Vulcan ship which probably wouldn't have obvious room for improvement.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I'm so confused about the choices this apparently loving father is making in episode 8 of strange new worlds

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm so confused about the choices this apparently loving father is making in episode 8 of strange new worlds

Lifelong cultural indoctrination is a hell of a drug

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If I liked strange new worlds should I watch discovery? I understand the show is technically a spin-off

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Noob Saibot posted:

If I liked strange new worlds should I watch discovery? I understand the show is technically a spin-off

No.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Noob Saibot posted:

Okay, Pike shows up at the end of Season 1 to take command of Discovery on a special assignment because "Captain of the USS Discovery" is a position akin to being the drummer from Spinal Tap, they all keep dying or getting erased from the fabric of space time or some poo poo. While trying to solve whatever universe-ending melodrama Discovery has wrapped itself up in this week in Season 2, Pike catches a glimpse of his hosed up future beepy chair self and sees the accident that puts him in the beepy chair, this is why he knows he's bound of death* and when and why it happens and is wrestling with that all throughout SNW Season 1. Spock shows at the end of the season, says "I like science" like a drooling goofus, and then Discovery flies off into the 32nd century to seal the Plot Hole that they cracked open fighting God or some poo poo, I dunno, I don't watch this stupid show, and Spock, Pike and Number One watch it leave from the bridge of the Enterprise and literally go "Let's never speak of this again." Then Strange New Worlds happens.

You are all caught up and don't need to watch Star Trek: Discovery now.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Federation-Klingon war storyline alogn with the L'Rell coup and those time monks were also interesting, but watching that does require high tolerance for the disco-redesign of klingons into BDSM bats.

If you must watch, watch seasons 1 and 2. And you are better off thinking that anything S3 onwards didn't happen, USS Discovery was lost when it jumped to 32nd century. It is so far out it really doesn't directly connect with anything else, and it makes everything else prequel where we know the outcome of the Federation and anything anyone ever did towards it, so its also a kinda bummer.

I still hope they'll rewrite it as an alternative timeline, or make it a stable time loop which undoes itself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Noob Saibot posted:

On top of what others have said, I loved SNW so much I gave Discovery another go after abandoning it quickly in its first season. Season 1 is very rough, mostly carried by a couple of neat ideas and Jason Isaacs chewing the scenery. Season 2 is better, but only really because Anson Mount's Pike is just wonderful and the best space dad a bunch of science nerds could ask for. Season 3 is really, really, really bad.

Since I invested the time, I figured I would finish season 4 at least. I dug the initial season-long concept they built up - a giant rear end anomaly in space tearing everything in its path into pieces and being beyond their comprehension - but as the season has progressed it's getting shakier and really not holding up as well as I'd hoped, though maybe they'll stick the landing.

So long story short, if you find you're not enjoying the non-SNW characters in Discovery, there isn't much more to attract you after season 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

My opinion on this is mixed.

On one hand, I'm worried that the novelty of "the first nu-trek TV" gave Disco a sheen that has faded since SNW is (imo) vastly superior and fills the "new trek content" niche that I think I was thirsty for.

On the other hand, I definitely remember watching S1 and while I hated some aspects like the Klingon designs etc, I did really enjoy it for a while. I think I would say that everyone should give at least S1 a chance, maybe early S1 to see if you like the general "vibe" of the show, then S2 I remember being fun because of Pike.

So yeah, I dunno. I think it's worth checking out a few episodes and if you gel with the writing and characters you're probably fine. For me it really really went off the rails in S2 into S3 though, enough that I don't think I bothered with the latter part of S3 (or maybe I did and just don't remember) and didn't even pretend to care about S4.

Maybe my takeaway recommendation should be:

Watch two or three episodes of S1. If you don't like the show or it isn't compelling you, I think you can just bow out. If by three episodes you're intrigued enough to see where it's going but not hooked, stick around. There are some good episodes through the early run but nothing I'd consider culturally significant or jaw dropping.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tom Tucker posted:

I was mainly surprised they ended that plot thread so quickly. Saving her a couple seasons later and then leaving to raise her would neatly explain why McCoy is CMO on TOS and M'Benga is an assistant.

One thing I think they are neglecting though is not having other doctors. You got the impression on TOS McCoy was in charge of a big team of doctors and nurses and medics. On SNW they have a giant sickbay and it's only M'Benga and Chapel for drama's sake.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think someone called out the most plausible theory to me, whether it was attributed to any actual writer quote or not I can't remember this second: Having her in the transporter meant that they couldn't really put the Enterprise into any "serious" danger without roundabout ending that plot anyway. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner, which I didn't really consider until someone mentioned it.

Though I guess the implications of what it would do to M'benga if that had happened are also... interesting, I guess, but I'm really tired of crushingly depressing and/or tragic TV so I'm frankly 100% fine with them putting a happy bow-tie on the whole thing. Even if it seems contrived and unbelievable. I'll suspend my disbelief.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Astroman posted:

One thing I think they are neglecting though is not having other doctors. You got the impression on TOS McCoy was in charge of a big team of doctors and nurses and medics. On SNW they have a giant sickbay and it's only M'Benga and Chapel for drama's sake..

I think it's part of a more general thing , TOS Enterprise seems a lot more crowded than SNW Enterprise. And I think there's two reasons for that. First, TOS had a lot more extras as crewmen in hallway shots and things like that. Second, in away team missions or the actual plot as it plays out, in addition to the main crew, there usually were other people, either unnamed (random security guards or scientists or whatever), or people who ended up playing a role in the plot of the episode, like, I don't know, in Space Seed, the ship's historian who Khan seduces and who then joins him.

So you get the idea that this ship is not just the people whose names are in the credits every week. It's a whole bunch of people staffing the ship, and that doesn't happen as much on SNW.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Noob Saibot posted:

Just watch it so you can join in complaining!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS started out with the ship feeling really lively. There’s lots of random people around doing jobs and you even get these odd little incidental human-interest scenes like Uhura singing in the mess hall or whatever. That was one of the things they really cut back on as the network started to squeeze the show, the second and especially third seasons have noticeably emptier ship at times.

SNW being filmed in the pandemic probably has a lot to do with why it feels like that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pandemic definitely factored in and I think in-universe there was just less people n the ship in Pike's era

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

some kinda jackal posted:

On the other hand, I definitely remember watching S1 and while I hated some aspects like the Klingon designs etc, I did really enjoy it for a while. I think I would say that everyone should give at least S1 a chance, maybe early S1 to see if you like the general "vibe" of the show, then S2 I remember being fun because of Pike.

I got draw into Discovery by Tig Notaro as Jett Reno, hitting episodes here and there with her in them. I'll probably eventually go back and do a watch from Season 1. I do appreciate that Lower Decks keeps the "Worf-style" Klingons. August 25 can't come soon enough. I need me some Lower Decks.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Watch SNW with an eye towards 'are there more than two people standing in a group at any given time' and it gets pretty obvious they were working around some constraints.

But if they don't bring back the karate-gi crewmen, I'll be pissed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TheCenturion posted:

Watch SNW with an eye towards 'are there more than two people standing in a group at any given time' and it gets pretty obvious they were working around some constraints.

That reminds me of the Lower Decks episode where a bunch of the crew got called to Red Alert in their recreational outfits because a space battle won't wait for you to change clothes.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

TheCenturion posted:

this happens a bunch in Disco S4 too, you can very obviously tell when group scenes were composited together out of pairs and when they just had a 6' x 6' grid of tape markings on the floor

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Chairman posted:

this happens a bunch in Disco S4 too, you can very obviously tell when group scenes were composited together out of pairs and when they just had a 6' x 6' grid of tape markings on the floor
Picard S2 was really, really terrible on this front

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

...I'm waiting?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard S2 was really, really terrible on this front

Yeah, that's the other thing to look for: is the party being constantly split into groups of two?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard S2 was really, really terrible

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard was really, really terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

...I'm waiting?

Spoilers for a 60 year old story but *Pike gets a happy...ish ending to that story.