Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

madmatt112 posted:

was. I wonder why he's not there any more.

I'm guessing federal prosecutors don't make $800 an hour plus whatever is being paid under the table for illegal poo poo.

Edit: :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

Ahaha holy poo poo the objections!

so good

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am at least a little bit happier when I remember that Jones wanted to settle with them for $120,000.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

bankston absolutely disgusted

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

my cat is norris posted:

bankston absolutely disgusted

The phrase "righteous indignation" comes to mind.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ob-objection! ...Your honor.

jesus christ I feel him, this dude is such a slime

Plaintiff counsel gets to respond to this closing statement as well, yeah?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ob-objection! ...Your honor.

jesus christ I feel him, this dude is such a slime

Plaintiff counsel gets to respond to this closing statement as well, yeah?

Yeah, they get to go back up there and say, in legal terms, "Gimme a fuckin' break!"

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i just said "bless you" out loud to my computer when that guy sneezed

social reflexes are funny

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Was waiting for the objection as son as "Clinton" was said.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

"Everyone in this courtroom feels sympathy for them" is only technically correct because Alex isn't there.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Decided not to mute. Was right decision. I'm taking this an opportunity to keep learning exactly how not to be a worthless, weaselly, feckless scumbag.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

madmatt112 posted:

Decided not to mute. Was right decision. I'm taking this an opportunity to keep learning exactly how not to be a worthless, weaselly, feckless scumbag.

Counterpoint: you can make an awful lot of money being a worthless, weaselly, feckless scumbag.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

mojo1701a posted:

Counterpoint: you can make an awful lot of money being a worthless, weaselly, feckless scumbag.

That's a good point - I'm not imaginative enough to make use of an awful lot of money. In the balance of things, probably not worth it. I'll stay computer-toucher well-off and make off with mooooost of my soul.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
aren't the assets the defendant has completely irrelevant to the amount given to the plaintiff?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

While the US government was wrong to imprison people for being anti-war, you can still be incredibly punished for telling the enemy your nation's secrets.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

ilmucche posted:

aren't the assets the defendant has completely irrelevant to the amount given to the plaintiff?

Yesterday, when determining compensatory damages, assets are irrelevant. Today is about punitive damages, wherein assets do matter apparently.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao "plaintiffs provided no evidence to the monetary value of FSS"

that's your loving job and you only did it by accident!

E: and also lied about it, yes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilmucche posted:

Defendants' assets are important. Reynal is hinting at their bullshit bankruptcy to try to say they have no assets. The only documents they turned over are the bullshit things they filed in the bankruptcy court, which we know based upon Jones' cell phone are false.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmao "plaintiffs provided no evidence to the monetary value of FSS"

that's your loving job and you only did it by accident!

We live in this bizarro world now where people just get to fling their own poo poo into other people's faces and then immediately mug at a camera and insist 'I didn't fling poo poo, in fact it was somebody else, or, or even the government! Or maybe it was the (insert bigoted identifier here)s! But it wasn't me, even though the videotape shows that it definitely was"

and then 25% of the general population goes "Well gently caress those (bigoted identifier)s, this poor schlub is getting thrown under the bus for their poo poo-throwing", and then donates money to him so he can buy more poo poo-generating food and perhaps even build a biofuel-powered poo poo-slinger with exquisitely accurate target acquisition systems.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

your honor, if it pleases the court, get this motherfucker.

i rest my case.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there really a point to anything that happens today? Seems like they’ll get nothing because of the cap.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

Is there really a point to anything that happens today? Seems like they’ll get nothing because of the cap.

not especially

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Stefan Prodan posted:

not especially

I dunno, it’s doing a good job of getting my blood up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was kind of fun to watch the lawyers fighting but yeah, none of this matters much because of the damages cap.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
didn't greg abbot get millions in damages and then immediately sign a bill to cap the amount you can get in damages?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

InsertPotPun posted:

didn't greg abbot get millions in damages and then immediately sign a bill to cap the amount you can get in damages?

Yup. Pulled the ladder up behind him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

InsertPotPun posted:

did greg abbot get millions in damages and then immediately sign a bill to cap the amount you can get in damages?
Mostly correct. He had a tree limb fall on him while jogging in the 80s. Rather than go to trial, they settled out of court for what ultimately ended up being around $9m paid out over a period of time. Part of the reason he got a $9m settlement in the 80s was because of the threat of punitive damages.

He championed tort reform from then on and the end result is Texas' exemplary damages cap.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Stenographer has spent the past five minutes typing "..." over and over until people come back.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mostly correct. He had a tree limb fall on him while jogging in the 80s. Rather than go to trial, they settled out of court for what ultimately ended up being around $9m paid out over a period of time. Part of the reason he got a $9m settlement in the 80s was because of the threat of punitive damages.

He championed tort reform from then on and the end result is Texas' exemplary damages cap.

Basically, Abbott got a clear message from god that he chose the wrong path in life, and chose to double down on it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Shitbag's objecting because since he wasn't allowed to talk about evidence...

No, you were forbidden from mentioning that "the plaintiffs presented no evidence" because you were specifically required to GIVE THEM that evidence, and didn't.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i missed why they were called up to the bench, what happened?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

my cat is norris posted:

Reynal objected to counsel saying that "'1/10th of 1%' is meaningless because they wouldn't give us the evidence" if he can't say "they didn't show you any evidence" from his remarks.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Alex's lawyer kept lying about the prosecution not bringing evidence

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

aha, thanks! eat poo poo reynal

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is there an easy way to summarize what we learned about Jones/FSS finances or am I going to have to watch when it's posted later? Only day of this I missed other than jury selection.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

my cat is norris posted:

Because he was pointing out that they refused to turn over evidence in discovery that they're not allowed to discuss in front of the jury due to orders in limine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tree Dude posted:

Is there an easy way to summarize what we learned about Jones/FSS finances or am I going to have to watch when it's posted later? Only day of this I missed other than jury selection.

Jones pockets at least 50-60m a year and FSS makes 5m or so more than that which is used for payroll and other expenses.

They have had years where they made 150m or more.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Tree Dude posted:

I don't think there's much that we learned, other than "they're lying about making very little money because a lot of it flows out to Jones and they're hiding the rest".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ooh, Reynal got a sustained objection. That's, what, two today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Alex did perjure himself but I guess that can't be said because he wasn't convicted?