Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah but it's also a good example of that saying "it's easier to tear down than to build up". All it takes is one conservative government to undo years of progress and whoever follows has to try and sell a rebuild to a bunch of populace that is likely even worse off than before.

What I'm saying is nationalize and unionize everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Furnaceface posted:

:hmmyes:

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah but it's also a good example of that saying "it's easier to tear down than to build up". All it takes is one conservative government to undo years of progress and whoever follows has to try and sell a rebuild to a bunch of populace that is likely even worse off than before.

Not sure nationalize and unionize is the bulletproof solution you think it is when we're talking about government run unionized institutions in decline.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some More News did a 3 hour episode on jorp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNWkRw53Jo

I've never really paid attention to the guy, but holy poo poo is he dumb and incredibly dishonest.

This section has a pretty good summary of how he argues everything.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNWkRw53Jo&t=3344s

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I signed up for the Conservative leadership ballot to vote against my MP (Poilievre) and just got the most deranged e-mail from Leslyn Lewis.

quote:

The past couple of years have been incredibly traumatizing for so many Canadians. People have lost so much: financial devastation, the loss of so many dreams, losing loved ones.

And now at a time when we are hoping that we might finally be returning to normal life, we are being confronted with a new faceless fear: “Sudden Adult Death Syndrome.”

This recently emerged mysterious affliction, manifests itself in healthy young adults who suddenly drop dead. Did you know that in Alberta, the leading cause of death is now “Unknown.”? Meanwhile in Toronto over the past few weeks, six young healthy doctors all died suddenly and with no explanation as to why.

We were quickly told that this wasn’t vaccine-related. But that is not good enough. If three young women go missing in your neighbourhood, and the police response was “Well it is probably not a serial killer”, that wouldn’t be good enough.

We would demand answers, which is what we should do now.

These are the same health and government officials who told us masking didn’t work, and then told us to mask. They assured us that the vaccines wouldn’t be mandatory, and then made them so. They promised us the vaccines would stop transmission, and now are admitting they knew it never would. They can’t be surprised that assuring us that everything is fine with absolutely no proof, is not accepted by increasingly frustrated and disillusioned citizens.

Because I have been bold enough to question the narrative from the beginning, I have received a steady flow of communications from doctors, nurses and paramedics who are concerned that SADS is indeed vaccine-related. Many of them do not want their stories shared because they know beyond a shadow of a doubt they would be fired, just for asking questions.

Others want their stories told. Like one woman who wanted to make sure her story reached me. In the span of just over half a year, her niece, and then nephew both died of suspected vaccine-related issues. One died from a confirmed blood clot that health departments around the world have traced back to vaccines. She was pressured to get vaccinated to keep her job.

The other was a member of the RCMP. In perfect health, he dropped dead with no explanation. They are calling it a SADS death. He leaves behind a wife and four kids.

These are just two stories out of a countless number that I have had emailed to me, and have been shared with me in person at every single campaign stop.

It is heartbreaking that many of these people are more comfortable sharing their concerns and grief with me, than talking to their coworkers, friends or family.

As someone who has been steadily attacked just for raising concerns, I understand. In fact, I wonder which version of “Leslyn Lewis spreads conspiracy theory” headline the media will use this time around? Will the CBC call me a fear-mongerer again for asking questions?

I am simply standing with my fellow Canadians saying that we deserve to hear the truth. We deserve the respect of being allowed to think logically without being slandered and cancelled. Here is the question I would put forward to anyone calling me a conspiracy theorist:

Is it a problem that this situation looks like a conspiracy? Or is it more concerning that our government and health officials don’t even care that it looks like a conspiracy, and that they are losing the trust of the public with their non-answers.

It’s time for answers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I have the SADS, please pay attention to me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 10, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just a bunch of nebulous unnamed virtuous people dropping dead for no reason.

Fortunately I have a name and I'm not particularly virtuous, so I'm safe.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

5 of the 6 doctors she's talking about there died of cancer. The 6th is unknown causes to the public.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

A Wackjob posted:

If three young women go missing in your neighbourhood, and the police response was “Well it is probably not a serial killer”, that wouldn’t be good enough.

I have bad news for her about the quality level of the average police response in this country.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

I have bad news for her about the quality level of the average police response in this country.

sudden "robert pickford" syndrome

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Most plasma in Canada is currently collected by the publicly-funded agency without paying donors, but the deal would dramatically change that—allowing Grifols to set up private clinics to collect plasma, process it, and sell it back to Canadian Blood Services at a profit. In a 2022 investor report, Grifols notes it significantly increased paid donors in Germany by targeting “young people and individuals facing economic difficulties in pandemic times.”

If the poors need money so badly they can just sell their body parts

gently caress this idea and gently caress everyone involved in it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Furnaceface posted:

You need a thorough and systematic approach to building up a society and infrastructure to make it difficult to tear down. Capitalism has no patience for that kind of poo poo.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Piquai Souban posted:

I signed up for the Conservative leadership ballot to vote against my MP (Poilievre) and just got the most deranged e-mail from Leslyn Lewis.

Hinshaw deserves a lot of the blame for this, she defended Alberta's atrocious COVID count and midwifed this conspiracy to life.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weird how an overworked medical system can no longer identify how people died.

Oh well best label it a conspiracy rather than just asking a doctor.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Yes please.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Does anyone know how much money went to Covid relief for individuals versus how much went to businesses and corporations?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

SoggyBobcat posted:

Does anyone know how much money went to Covid relief for individuals versus how much went to businesses and corporations?
It all went to individuals!

A lot of those individuals happened to own big pieces of large corporations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SoggyBobcat posted:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/services/publications/economic-fiscal-snapshot/overview-economic-response-plan.html

CERB was $53.53b, CEWS was still more.

Humans seem to have gotten less than $60b out of $231.9b in direct federal payments.

e: this information only seems current to the end of 2020.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 4, 2022

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

SoggyBobcat posted:

Here are some figures about the amount of claims under the CEWS: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/wage-rent-subsidies/emergency-wage-subsidy/cews-statistics.html and some detailed tables here https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/wage-rent-subsidies/emergency-wage-subsidy/cews-statistics/cews-detailed-data.html. There was also the rent subsidy: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/wage-rent-subsidies/emergency-rent-subsidy/cers-statistics.html

For CERB or CRB, I haven't been able to find an equivalent set of data but some figures I've seen were in the $80B range - though that was just for CERB

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Thanks everyone.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Piquai Souban posted:

Well, she does live in Dunnville now, a town whose primary export is insane letters to the editor.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 4, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wonder if those CERB numbers are post taxed and their overpayment gently caress up.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Don't know if this has been posted here already, but as a Canadian living in the UK who experienced a big chunk of the pandemic in both countries, I thought this provided some interesting perspective:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-resilience-ranking/

Basically a massive data crunching project from Bloomberg that tracked different countries' responses to Covid from the beginning of the pandemic onwards in order to determine which were the most resilient.

Bottom line is that while Canada currently sits at seventh globally, in terms of overall performance from March 2020 until today it placed second, just behind the UAE and just ahead of Finland.

Also, in terms of health care coverage, Canada was one of the top scorers, with 90/100; only a handful of countries (Norway, Switzerland, Singapore, France) scored higher.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Another Bill posted:

Ditto for all (well like 3) the people I know thinking of selling their houses because there's a recession. Recessions, like Conservative governments, come and go.

What is the logical path between recession -> sell my house? It makes no sense to me.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Sell the asset while it's value is high (ie: cash out) as people still have money since the recession hasn't really hit yet.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Don't know if this has been posted here already, but as a Canadian living in the UK who experienced a big chunk of the pandemic in both countries, I thought this provided some interesting perspective:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-resilience-ranking/

Basically a massive data crunching project from Bloomberg that tracked different countries' responses to Covid from the beginning of the pandemic onwards in order to determine which were the most resilient.

Bottom line is that while Canada currently sits at seventh globally, in terms of overall performance from March 2020 until today it placed second, just behind the UAE and just ahead of Finland.

Also, in terms of health care coverage, Canada was one of the top scorers, with 90/100; only a handful of countries (Norway, Switzerland, Singapore, France) scored higher.

While I do agree that Canada handled covid better than most comparable countries, I also think that index is bullshit. Giving equal weight to HDI, GDP growth, and COVID deaths per capita is a little too on the nose, approaching parody.

Regarding healthcare specifically: We're currently facing hospital closures in the face of pretty mild hospitalization numbers. The current number of covid patients hospitalized is barely even more than we would have during the peak of a flu season and our system is still buckling (see last table): https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...mmended_for_you

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Starks posted:

While I do agree that Canada handled covid better than most comparable countries, I also think that index is bullshit. Giving equal weight to HDI, GDP growth, and COVID deaths per capita is a little too on the nose, approaching parody.

Regarding healthcare specifically: We're currently facing hospital closures in the face of pretty mild hospitalization numbers. The current number of covid patients hospitalized is barely even more than we would have during the peak of a flu season and our system is still buckling (see last table): https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...mmended_for_you

Yeah, you definitely have to take it for what it is, but it lines up with a lot of what I've found on smaller scales/anecdotally in terms of how different countries are doing, and how the pandemic was handled in particular. Sometimes reading this thread I think people lose perspective, especially when they start talking about moving away from Canada. Health care systems in most countries outside of a handful of countries are facing various degrees of the same neoliberal exsanguination, for instance; at least Canada's system is still in relatively good shape compared to a lot of alternatives in G7 countries.

This is not at all to say that people shouldn't be dissatisfied with the system; just that Canada actually is doing pretty well relative to a lot of other developed countries, and deciding to move--even when you have the luxury of being able to get a visa in another country--isn't always the rational choice.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

unknown posted:

Sell the asset while it's value is high (ie: cash out) as people still have money since the recession hasn't really hit yet.

And then what, you still need a place to live. Do you rent for x number of months and then rebuy gambling on the prices being different enough to have been worth it?
Moving is so disruptive and you incur big costs on every sale and purchase, I can't believe that it would make any sense for the vast majority of people to do something like this.

I suspect this is some kind of variant of "shoe-shine boy" syndrome where people think happening to have owned a home in the big value runup makes them an investing genius and they come up with wacky ideas like this.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fidelitious posted:

And then what, you still need a place to live. Do you rent for x number of months and then rebuy gambling on the prices being different enough to have been worth it?
Moving is so disruptive and you incur big costs on every sale and purchase, I can't believe that it would make any sense for the vast majority of people to do something like this.

I suspect this is some kind of variant of "shoe-shine boy" syndrome where people think happening to have owned a home in the big value runup makes them an investing genius and they come up with wacky ideas like this.
Until recently, my parents were regularly getting calls and letters from real estate agents asking them to sell their house. The agents would always say stuff like "Think of all the money you'll make from selling and all the stuff you could do with it." but my parents would always point out that they would need that money, or at least a very large portion of it, to buy a new house so how does it make sense.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Until recently, my parents were regularly getting calls and letters from real estate agents asking them to sell their house. The agents would always say stuff like "Think of all the money you'll make from selling and all the stuff you could do with it." but my parents would always point out that they would need that money, or at least a very large portion of it, to buy a new house so how does it make sense.

My father's point exactly. He would say that he would sell for two or three times what his place is worth and they would stop calling (eventually).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Piquai Souban posted:

The ironic thing is that there are a substantial number of deaths of unknown cause, but they're most likely due to a combination of a) undiagnosed COVID, usually deaths at home; b) significant delays in health care for non-COVID-related issues, and c) drug poisonings. Vaccines most likely don't enter into it; I haven't seen any evidence of increased deaths due to vaccines from a source that I wouldn't describe as 'batshit.'

Starks posted:

I think that's a combination of delayed health issues showing up as much worse than usual, and probably more importantly burnout and staffing related issues. It's been a long two years for people who work in hospitals.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, a lot of damage has been done to a lot of parts of society as a result of this pandemic. Morons will say "well, it's the restrictions that caused all that!" but it's not, it's attempting to live amidst a pandemic with gently caress-all in the way of mitigations. Why we didn't just take the poo poo seriously when it was only beginning is still beyond me.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Western society is built around ignoring cheap but slightly inconvenient preventative maintenance so it turns into an expensive catastrophe. Infrastructure, city planning, the environment, education; the list goes on (and included healthcare even before COVID).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But it's all good, Dr. Hinshaw received a $228,000 bonus for her bang-up work during COVID that consisted mainly of loving up and carrying the UCPs water, and then lying about it.

Good thing we're Fiscally Responsible here in Alberta. If she had any shame, she'd donate that money, and the rest of her salary since 2020, to frontline professionals like the doctors and nurses her awful decisions hosed over.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

God I have never wanted to see the housing bubble burst more than I do right now. The same person, which after some digging I have learned is a realtor in Toronto, bought 3 houses on our street over the last year and is converting all 3 into rental properties. Not good ones though. Dude is bringing in crews with wood/drywall to divide the houses into tiny rooms to rent out to college students at super inflated rental rates. And you know drat well the fucker wont ever drive up here to maintain the properties or make sure its safe for the tenants.

This poo poo should be illegal.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sounds like some of it actually is!

Good luck finding an authority that gives a poo poo tho.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

Sounds like some of it actually is!

Good luck finding an authority that gives a poo poo tho.

The majority of Barrie's city council own rental properties around the college. :negative:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Furnaceface posted:

This poo poo should be illegal.
It is. Unless the house is re-zoned it can only be a single family residence. However, the problem is by-law officers can't enter the house to check without the permission of the residents. My parents and their neighbours dealt with this problem for almost two years. Get your neighbours together and start going after your local councilor and any neighbourhood associations, FB groups, etc. In my parents case it only ended after multiple calls to the police because of fights, finding unconscious people on their front lawn in the morning, etc. The police ended up raiding the house because someone was selling drugs out of it and they arrested several of the residents because of outstanding warrants. The owner sold the property to a developer who built a huge house with a postage stamp front yard and back yard.

Start documenting the renovation process and contact city hall to get inspectors over there ASAP to see if they have valid permits (they don't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2022/08/07/le-defile-de-fierte-montreal-annule

Well, that sucks. Montreal pride parade was cancelled due to security reasons a couple hours before it was meant to start.

I’m so sorry to all members of the community that were looking forward to this. My daughter was really hyped up to cheer on :(