Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

tsob posted:

I would prefer something that was a podcast first and not a stream first though. As such, does anyone have any good recommendations for that kind of thing?

I've been enjoying Everybody Hates Rand, which is honestly more about how great Mat is. It's, uh, pretty critical of the series though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

aegof posted:

I've been enjoying Everybody Hates Rand, which is honestly more about how great Mat is. It's, uh, pretty critical of the series though.

I saw that when looking through search results for "Wheel of Time" on my app. There are a lot of Wheel of Time podcasts, but that one jumped out just cause the name is so specific but odd. It's got a lot of episodes too, having looked at it out of curiosity. 200+, if I recall. Are they all reading through the books? Or have they finished and just started using them as a jumping off point to discuss other things or something?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

tsob posted:

I saw that when looking through search results for "Wheel of Time" on my app. There are a lot of Wheel of Time podcasts, but that one jumped out just cause the name is so specific but odd. It's got a lot of episodes too, having looked at it out of curiosity. 200+, if I recall. Are they all reading through the books? Or have they finished and just started using them as a jumping off point to discuss other things or something?

All but a few episodes are discussion of 1-3 chapters at a time, but tangents do happen. A Perrin-heavy chapter may prompt some talk about the class on werewolves they took together, or they might brainstorm a world where Gawyn is gay and also a decent character, etc etc.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well alright then; I'll try and episode or five of each and see what I think. The Everybody Hates Rand is one is more intriguing, if only to find out why they hate Rand and/or in what ways they're critical of the series. Thanks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The "wheel takes" podcast seems to be the most popular wheel of time podcast. It's a couple, he's read the books, she's first-time-through, they're both theater kids and go off on a lot of random tangents.

Some people love them. I find them absolutely insufferable. The most annoying type of geek people.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

I don't think this is true, and I'm not sure she ever says or implies that's Rand's problem? The first time we learn of her motive, from what I recall, is her initial meeting with Sorilea; during which she asks Sorilea if she knows the difference between being strong and being hard? Or maybe it was to ask which it was better to be? After which she's committed to reminding Rand of his humanity because he keeps trying to harden himself and rid himself of his humanity, because she knows he thinks it's necessary in order to fight the Dark One, when both she and Sorilea think he has to be strong and not to be hard. Someone in touch with his humanity, and able to smile and laugh and enjoy life again is what they're aiming for, because if someone who is grim and hostile to life fights the Dark One then it wouldn't make a difference even if he won.

Which is, indirectly, what she ends up doing. She pulls in Tam in order to do so, and the meeting with Tam goes so badly when Rand realized he almost tried to kill Tam that Rand ends up fleeing and going to Dragonmount (by way of Ebou Dar) to destroy the world using the Choedan Kal, before Lews Therin of all people talks him down. So she did teach him something, albeit not how she planned, and it was the thing she set out to teach him all along as far as I can see; Rand even thanks her for it when he goes to Tear afterwards, if I recall. She never seems to learn from it or change in any notable way though. Not from keeping the domination band, even if she thought it was secure against even a Forsaken, not from coaching Tam, not from Tam confronting her as a bully using reputation and power to get what she wants and not from Rand almost destroying everything. Or at least, not from Rand almost using the Choedan Kal to destroy the Seanchan, which is what he wants to do initially when he flees Tam, and what Min tells Cadsuane and co he's probably going to do. I'm not sure they ever find out he almost destroyed the world afterwards instead.

She does keep treating him poorly for quite a long time after that meeting though. For me that meeting was kind of pointless, as at least the Aiel would tell him when he was going to far, or that this might have consequences beyond what Rand thought might happen. They were trying to get him to change, but it just wasn't working.

Cadsuane really didn't change anything about what she was doing afterwards. I think a lot of it is that she's supposed to teach him to be a human being able to laugh and smile and her method of doing so is basically abusing him. She has that meeting with Sorilea, and they agree they need to teach him but that's about it. Cadsuane didn't change a thing afterwards.

It takes Tam actually calling her out on her poo poo, followed by Rand going "My name is Rand Sedai. If I have to call you by your title, you call me by mine" and meaning it that she finally starts to be helpful. Until that point all she really does is politick and do the exact opposite of trying to teach someone how to be less like a dude who knows he's going to die.

Tam calling her out though was pretty good. Dude was rightfully pissed, he knew what was the cause, and he knew she couldn't do anything to him. I always kind of wondered if she didn't hit him with air for his words because Tam gave her the idea that using the Power like that was using it as a weapon, even if not a very effective one and her Oaths wouldn't let her.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

How are u posted:

Some people love them. I find them absolutely insufferable. The most annoying type of geek people.

I don’t think they have accounts, actually.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seaborgium posted:

She does keep treating him poorly for quite a long time after that meeting though. For me that meeting was kind of pointless, as at least the Aiel would tell him when he was going to far, or that this might have consequences beyond what Rand thought might happen. They were trying to get him to change, but it just wasn't working.

The Aiel did tell him when they thought he was going too far or doing something they couldn't abide by, like not allowing the Far Dareis Mai to participate in battles; it just didn't do any good, and Rand roundly ignored them whenever it was convenient for him, because he knew they had bound themselves to him, and thought they'd never go against that. Which, he was basically right; at least in so far as anything he did ignore them on. They might have turned against him if he'd done it more, or did something particularly heinous, I guess; but it didn't come up regardless.

Cadsuane explained her rationale at one point (I think she might even have done it a few times) as being that she was doing the unexpected in order to catch people off guard and was treating Rand like a child in order to make him think she didn't care about him and wouldn't kowtow to him like others simply because of who and what he was. Which worked, though only because Min told him he had to keep Cadsuane around. If not for that, he'd have booted her out way before she could do anything and never had anything more to do with her. A good few characters point out that Rand is getting pretty arrogant throughout the story, especially as his paranoia increases and they're not exactly wrong. So Cadsuane's actions were probably less "he thinks he's a God" and more "he thinks he can do anything he wants to anyone he wants, whenever he wants and that's not always going to work". Which, ironically, is kind of a lesson Cadsuane herself could use.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think she actually taught him anything.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, you can't just fix people from the outside. He learned the lesson himself after she hosed up so badly that she almost doomed the world.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ehhhhh

I still find it hard to fault Cadsuane for not anticipating the literal avatar of the Dark One taking a hand in things.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ehhhhh

I still find it hard to fault Cadsuane for not anticipating the literal avatar of the Dark One taking a hand in things.

You have to allow that the enemy has their own plans though. And presume they are trying their best to do their own thing. Or even just accidents happening.

But it's not just the male a'dam. It's also basically everything she does. Because she decided he's just being an arrogant poo poo because power went to his head.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

But it's not just the male a'dam. It's also basically everything she does. Because she decided he's just being an arrogant poo poo because power went to his head.

Do you remember where that comes up in the books? It fits with Min’s vision that Cadsuane has something to teach both Rand and every Asha’man, but the potential lesson I remember most strongly is Cadsuane’s conversation with Sorilea about whether strength and hardness are the same thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Grundulum posted:

Do you remember where that comes up in the books? It fits with Min’s vision that Cadsuane has something to teach both Rand and every Asha’man, but the potential lesson I remember most strongly is Cadsuane’s conversation with Sorilea about whether strength and hardness are the same thing.

Huh, Min did mention teaching every Asha'man something didn't she? I can see how Cadsuane taught Rand something, even if indirectly through Tam and Lews Therin; but I can't see how she taught the Asha'man anything. They mostly fended for themselves. I guess that was probably something Sanderson ended up abandoning (consciously or otherwise), given either incomplete notes or just a difference in how he wanted to handle that side of the story. I figure Jordan originally intended the Black Tower be destroyed and Asha'man become Aes Sedai, both men and women united under one leader/organization after several thousand years, but Sanderson went with there being two instead for whatever reason and while I enjoyed most of the things Sanderson did with the Asha'man, it also never quite gelled for me. I didn't feel like Logain had much, if any glory in the end either, when Min says he shines with glory at times looking at him.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

You have to allow that the enemy has their own plans though. And presume they are trying their best to do their own thing. Or even just accidents happening.

Her problem wasn't that she decided he was an arrogant poo poo because power went to his head. Her problem was that she - like many other characters in this series - doubles down on her erroneous first impressions over and over again despite repeated failures and overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I mean, she may have instructed others about her plan, but the only time she actually discusses her plan is a few sentences with Soriela, and that conversation is half innuendo and raised eyebrows doing the conversing iirc.

This series would be about nine books shorter if people communicated in an adult fashion though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

Huh, Min did mention teaching every Asha'man something didn't she? I can see how Cadsuane taught Rand something, even if indirectly through Tam and Lews Therin; but I can't see how she taught the Asha'man anything. They mostly fended for themselves. I guess that was probably something Sanderson ended up abandoning (consciously or otherwise), given either incomplete notes or just a difference in how he wanted to handle that side of the story. I figure Jordan originally intended the Black Tower be destroyed and Asha'man become Aes Sedai, both men and women united under one leader/organization after several thousand years, but Sanderson went with there being two instead for whatever reason and while I enjoyed most of the things Sanderson did with the Asha'man, it also never quite gelled for me. I didn't feel like Logain had much, if any glory in the end either, when Min says he shines with glory at times looking at him.

You could stretch the teaching to the Asha'man if you think Rand telling the Asha'man that they're men, not weapons after he becomes Zen Rand if you want. Still a stretch, as her teaching wasn't really there in the first place.

I think the two different towers might have been a Jordan thing though. He had pretty good notes, so if he'd wanted them united it would have been in there even if how it happened wasn't.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tsob posted:

I forget which prophecy it is, but one states "the servants are balanced by the guardians." Two towers, with a focus on serving society in one, and protecting society in the other, makes a lot of sense given the state of the world. Two Towers also has an obvious literary bearing, which Jordan adored.

As for Logain, he thought his glory was to wreck Demandred, but it's a lot simpler- he becomes a savior, and more than that, he becomes one of the first male channelers to not be reviled by the general public. He's left in a position of being the headmaster/leader of a major power. There's glory in that.

Oh, the lesson Cadsuane teaches the Asha'man is that they are men, not weapons. Rand sends that message to the Tower after his revelation.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 1, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I forget which prophecy it is, but one states "the servants are balanced by the guardians." Two towers, with a focus on serving society in one, and protecting society in the other, makes a lot of sense given the state of the world. Two Towers also has an obvious literary bearing, which Jordan adored.

As for Logain, he thought his glory was to wreck Demandred, but it's a lot simpler- he becomes a savior, and more than that, he becomes one of the first male channelers to not be reviled by the general public. He's left in a position of being the headmaster/leader of a major power. There's glory in that.

Oh, the lesson Cadsuane teaches the Asha'man is that they are men, not weapons. Rand sends that message to the Tower after his revelation.

That was Nicola in Salidar, right after the bubble of evil.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

iirc it was one of the first times she met him, when she makes him come to her. She purposely makes him mad and so he reacts to people challenging him like he always does, which just further cements the idea in her head that he's just an arrogant boy. She doesn't bother to try and figure out WHY he reacts that way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just read the first book (eye of the world ) in like 4 days . It was incredible. I enjoyed the inversion of Lord of the Rings at the end .

Just got Rise if the Hunter or whatever the second book is called from the library. I guess I’ll have to read this thread from the start in a year

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

I just read the first book (eye of the world ) in like 4 days . It was incredible. I enjoyed the inversion of Lord of the Rings at the end .

Just got Rise if the Hunter or whatever the second book is called from the library. I guess I’ll have to read this thread from the start in a year

There's a separate thread for new readers so you can avoid spoilers!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983558

Otherwise yeah read the whole thing then come back

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
They're really good books!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That first moment when Moiraine and Thom see each other is wonderful.

I don't think Thom gets caught flat-footed often, but he sure does there.

My dad was a flamenco guitarist and used to play gigs in bars; he had this way of facing forward to most of the audience but looking sideways and smiling at someone (usually a woman) who caught his attention, so I can imagine **exactly** how Thom is looking at Moiraine in this scene.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

tsob posted:

That aside, I was talking to someone recently who has started reading through the books due to the show along with a book club called the "Wordy Nerdy Bookclub", which upon looking it up is some streamers who are also reading through the books after watching the show. I listened to the first episode as a podcast out of curiousity and while I thought they raised some interesting points about things in the book or book vs show decisions, I found the fact they constantly stopped to acknowledge superchats, their "streaming voices" etc. rather grating. It did make me want to start re-reading the books a lot sooner than I had planned to though, and maybe listen to some kind of book club or whatever discussing it as I did so. I would prefer something that was a podcast first and not a stream first though. As such, does anyone have any good recommendations for that kind of thing?
I'm really enjoying Nerdy Nightly, but I can understand that it isn't something for everyone. It's made more for streaming than to listen to.

It's not a podcast, but I can recommend this blog on Tumbler (Immorality for immortality) by a first time reader. She catches a lot of details for reading it the first time. Unfortunately she stopped near the beginning of book 13 (out of 14). But that is still quite a lot of good content and she might just finish it at some time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DTurtle posted:

I'm really enjoying Nerdy Nightly, but I can understand that it isn't something for everyone. It's made more for streaming than to listen to.

It's not a podcast, but I can recommend this blog on Tumbler (Immorality for immortality) by a first time reader. She catches a lot of details for reading it the first time. Unfortunately she stopped near the beginning of book 13 (out of 14). But that is still quite a lot of good content and she might just finish it at some time.

I liked Nerdy when they were blind watching, but I fell off on the book stuff. Not sure i'm going to continue to watch them when season 2 hits, since now they're book watchers and that's just boring.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Get your very own heron marked blade!

https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/1555353347250593793?s=21&t=7SLkitV7RUgFyLZsjq47og

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm not one to buy anime swords but if I were, that'd be one of them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Show has been out for like a year and they still don’t have poo poo for merch. I think they just want Hollywood clout instead of money.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Invalid Validation posted:

Show has been out for like a year and they still don’t have poo poo for merch. I think they just want Hollywood clout instead of money.

Amazon seems to be really poo poo about merch for their shows, which is insane. You'd think it'd be a no brainer to make stuff from the show that people could buy from them, but at best they end up half assing some T-shirts. Back when the Expanse moved to Amazon I got excited about maybe buying jumpsuits and ship models or a cool Roci mug or two, but they never really did anything like that

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I always imagine the Heron to be engraved on the sword rather than just a kinda stamp thing that's been attached if I'm honest.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Natural 20 posted:

I always imagine the Heron to be engraved on the sword rather than just a kinda stamp thing that's been attached if I'm honest.
Because that's how it was described for Tam's sword and Laman's sword.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Natural 20 posted:

I really preferred the licensed Museum Replicas Heronmarked Blade from like 15 years ago.

https://www.desertcart.ae/products/19751767-officially-licensed-wheel-of-time-heron-mark-sword

This was made/produced while Jordan was alive, with his input, and he had one hanging on the wall in his house.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

RC Cola posted:

I enjoy watched the new turning of the wheel that is the show
Not trying to single you out, but I hate this excuse for the show, and I'm tired of seeing it everywhere among the fandom.

I think the WOT show is more like the 1978 Ralph Bashki Lord of the Rings. A drastically underfunded attempt at a really ambitious project.

And Maybe 20-25 years later we can hope for a worthy adaption of WoT, akin to Peter Jackson's LOTR coming 20-25 years after Baski's attempt.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cool, I completely disagree and highly enjoyed it. Maybe try being a little less righteous over an entertainment product?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

th3t00t posted:

Not trying to single you out, but I hate this excuse for the show, and I'm tired of seeing it everywhere among the fandom.

I think the WOT show is more like the 1978 Ralph Bashki Lord of the Rings. A drastically underfunded attempt at a really ambitious project.

And Maybe 20-25 years later we can hope for a worthy adaption of WoT, akin to Peter Jackson's LOTR coming 20-25 years after Baski's attempt.

I'd be fine with another attempt and I'll enjoy this one too. Anyways Winter's heart reread and I still don't like the perrin or elayne arc. I get them showing the uniting of channelers under elayne and nations/common people under perrin/faile. But it's so boring and breaks up the story.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

th3t00t posted:

I don't think the funding is the problem, the main thing I wanted is more characters sitting around and interacting so we can get a chance to get their characters/relationships right before they all split up.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

th3t00t posted:

What don't you like about it? I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not sure funding is the primary reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My personal take on the show was

1) that they didn't get the airtime they needed especially at first

2) some parts of the first episode had a really bad case of algorithm poisoning

3) covid and other weirdness hosed the last two episodes.

Overall it was kinda flawed but I'm hopeful season 2 will improve.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My personal take on the show was

1) that they didn't get the airtime they needed especially at first

2) some parts of the first episode had a really bad case of algorithm poisoning

3) covid and other weirdness hosed the last two episodes.

Overall it was kinda flawed but I'm hopeful season 2 will improve.

Yeah, it sounds like they wanted the first three episodes to be about 90 minutes apiece, and the problems with the last two episodes are very clearly connected to covid changes. The middle parts were a lot more solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, it sounds like they wanted the first three episodes to be about 90 minutes apiece, and the problems with the last two episodes are very clearly connected to covid changes. The middle parts were a lot more solid.

Don't let Reddit hear you say that