Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Moving in NYC happens really fast. Like if you did get them to extend it to 8 weeks, you won't find any October apartments listed yet anyway. I mean you could use the additional time to pack on your end, but finding an apartment is almost always within a month of the moving date here, so be prepared for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

m0therfux0r posted:

Did you check out any cost of living salary calculators? I don't know where you live in Utah or exactly where you're moving to in NYC so I just randomly put in a Salt Lake City -> Brooklyn and your salary would almost need to be doubled for it to not effectively be a pay cut due to COL. So for an actual significant pay increase, you would need to be offer *more* than double your current salary.

Just wanted to make sure you factored that in before you move across the country and realize you've made a horrible mistake.

Yes! I was really surprised and happy when they made the offer they did. The job I have now is intermittent, and even if it was full time, it wouldn't be half of what I'm making at the new job.

Anne Whateley posted:

Moving in NYC happens really fast. Like if you did get them to extend it to 8 weeks, you won't find any October apartments listed yet anyway. I mean you could use the additional time to pack on your end, but finding an apartment is almost always within a month of the moving date here, so be prepared for that.

This is really great to hear! I'd want it to be as fast as possible. And yes, I would use the additional time to settle my affairs here and pack up.

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

things do tend to move slowly in July and August because of vacations

Wanted to come back in here and update that it truly must have been vacations, still surprised they couldn't go up a level on approvals, but ~4 weeks from "we'd like you to join the team" to the actual offer. And the whole thing has been about 2 months so probably not unusual, I just don't change jobs enough. It seems like I really should have been changing jobs more, I was at my last company 6 years and the most recent for 6/7 months. Over those 6 years my salary increased about 20%, this past job gave a 25% increase and the new one that I just accepted is another 25%! This new job also came up 5k from the original discussion plus all of the benefits are better, 6% 401k matching...

HR is weird but I've never had a bad experience with them, only some are better at communicating and keeping people in the loop than others.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For moving, is it possible to start remotely while getting the moving stuff done? That might be a good compromise if possible.

And for background check, clearances take months, usually you start the job with a conditional clearance while your real one is processed. There is some risk there for sure but there isn't much choice, so if you haven't yet maybe get a firmer idea on timelines before negotiating start dates.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What's the move when an internal recruiter from a company reaches out for a position that I'm highly qualified for, but lists a salary range that is too low. I think going through the process and then balking at the offer is a bad move since it's listed right there, but do I throw out a number or just ask about its flexibility?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Erwin posted:

What's the move when an internal recruiter from a company reaches out for a position that I'm highly qualified for, but lists a salary range that is too low. I think going through the process and then balking at the offer is a bad move since it's listed right there, but do I throw out a number or just ask about its flexibility?

How bad do you want to save time vs get more interview practice?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Just thought I'd drop this factoid here

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1555506857019686912

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is it kosher here to reveal real numbers? I’m still sort of in shock that I’m a week into this new role and I’m making this much .

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sure you're allowed to give real numbers if you want. Many of us don't but there's no rule against it or anything. Percentages usually do just as well, but I think it's definitely true that a jump from, say, $50,000 to $80,000 yields a bigger quality of life increase than from $250,000 to $400,000.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Before:$37/hr plus OT (past few years brought me around $100k in total)

Now: $120 salary, 15% bonus and 40k in ESU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pillowpants posted:

Is it kosher here to reveal real numbers? I’m still sort of in shock that I’m a week into this new role and I’m making this much .

Don't worry, the shock wears off pretty quick and in 6 months you'll be like "I don't get paid enough to deal with this bullshit" again.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Don't worry, the shock wears off pretty quick and in 6 months you'll be like "I don't get paid enough to deal with this bullshit" again.

Ain't this the truth.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

skipdogg posted:

:emptyquote:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

There's even a spreadsheet in the OP for it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nSJHNBoljONE0lu4Yi_a5JUOzv3cS5FbC6m8lxT9i3E/edit#gid=245510761

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

leper khan posted:

How bad do you want to save time vs get more interview practice?

It’s always good to practice, but it becomes an awkward conversation if an offer is given. I think the way to go is to address it up front, but I’m not sure if I should just say it’s too low, or come up with a number to start with.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There is nothing awkward about it at all, and it would be good for you to get to this point just to practice saying it.

quote:

"Unfortunately I've decided to go in a different direction and I must respectfully decline this offer. Good luck"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Erwin posted:

I didn't see this earlier--in this scenario it's fine and good to just go ahead and tell them the number you want (make it higher than the minimum you would accept of course). "Hi, thanks for reaching out. I am willing to talk to you about this position, I agree it looks like a potential fit, but I would need a minimum of $X. If that can work for you let me know, thanks."

In the (likely) event they say "that's ridiculous, $(Top of their range) is already above market etc. etc." then you just say "Well $X is what I would need to move forward, if that doesn't work then thanks for reaching out and all the best."

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I didn't see this earlier--in this scenario it's fine and good to just go ahead and tell them the number you want (make it higher than the minimum you would accept of course). "Hi, thanks for reaching out. I am willing to talk to you about this position, I agree it looks like a potential fit, but I would need a minimum of $X. If that can work for you let me know, thanks."

In the (likely) event they say "that's ridiculous, $(Top of their range) is already above market etc. etc." then you just say "Well $X is what I would need to move forward, if that doesn't work then thanks for reaching out and all the best."

At least at my last company the recruiter would have to go to the planning team to get it approved to go over budget (it happened a lot)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sure, but that's not OP's problem. And firmly asking for more raises his perceived value. Better to just ask for more and let them walk away than to walk away yourself.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there any way to leverage this kind of information/data to get a better raise at my current job where I have an actual good manager and situation?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lockback posted:

For moving, is it possible to start remotely while getting the moving stuff done? That might be a good compromise if possible.

Unfortunately, no.

Lockback posted:

And for background check, clearances take months, usually you start the job with a conditional clearance while your real one is processed. There is some risk there for sure but there isn't much choice, so if you haven't yet maybe get a firmer idea on timelines before negotiating start dates.

Yeah, that's going to be my situation. The timeline I was given is that it'd take six months to a year to complete, so I can understand them wanting to move forward sooner. Here's hoping it works out well for me!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is there any way to leverage this kind of information/data to get a better raise at my current job where I have an actual good manager and situation?

You could get an outside offer and ask them to match. Of course that entails some risk and exercise of sound judgment. Some employers are very professional about it and will simply pay the necessary rate to retain you, others will immediately start trying to replace you. In the current labor market it's more difficult to find replacements than in years past but that won't necessarily keep managers from behaving irrationally.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I can't speak to the broader world, but my post history should show that I attempted to get a raise by asking for one. I asked in October of last year. They said I had to wait till the new year when they normally did them, which is fair enough. So I did. In February I got a honestly generous raise compared to what people normally get in the wider world, but it was half of what I asked for and even that would have kept me a few percentage points below market, but it was what I thought I could ask for without spooking them. So, I immediately started looking. It was not until nearly June that I got a stable offer. (I had one earlier that was rescinded due to being hostile to negotiation.) For various other reasons, it was actually delayed further than that. All told, I have changed jobs about 40 weeks after I realized I was underpaid and I should have started looking and about 15-20 weeks of earnestly looking / waiting for processes to go through. If you're wondering about the market, I work in software, so I had tons of 'opportunities', most of them lovely.

Obviously if I started looking earlier I don't know how when I would have left or what I would have earned there but since I would not have moved for less money, we can say that that delay has cost me money in the long run. Hopefully I can make it up, but hesitance to face fear and not remain somewhere comfortable meant that I wasn't getting what I was worth. Covid entered into it too, of course, but things are considerably more stable now.

At the same point, I don't really think there is necessarily much harm in asking. If a job is bad enough that the fact that you'd dare even ask for one with 8% inflation or whatever, then you should consider moving anyway. Just brush up your resume first.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Based on the negotiation threads I'm keeping up with, it seems like companies universally value "Control" way more than they value doing good work and having people who are familiar with the company. They would much rather replace a worker who's trying to exercise any power, and they'll usually string them along with promises of raises at some months-off point while they do it.

The few instances I know of workers getting the large raises they deserved were done purely because of the benevolence of their direct managers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sure, but that's not OP's problem. And firmly asking for more raises his perceived value. Better to just ask for more and let them walk away than to walk away yourself.

To re-enforce this, it's also good to get experience playing a little bit of hardball. I think most people have problems telling people "no", and this is basically a good chance to practice walking away setup on a tee.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I got approached by a CEO to do some 1099 contract work for an HRIS implementation. Unfortunately, I've never done independent contracting and have no idea how to price it (other than 1099=$$$ due to taxes). They also asked me to come up with an agreement, but don't have a scope really narrowed down either. Are there any good resources y'all know of for a contract template and where I could price this out? I don't think they have much experience on their side with this either, so I'm also wondering if "go talk to a lawyer" is the answer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You should look at what the going rate is for that kinda work and price accordingly. Are you doing this in addition to your job or instead of your job? Because you need to factor in things like health insurance, retirement, etc if it's the latter in addition to higher taxes. I'd generally start at 2x what you think your market W2 salary is (which is kinda easy since it's basically your yearly wage div 1000 per hour). So if you think your market is $80k on a W2 then it should be 80/hr. But it could easily be significantly higher (or even a little lower, but probably not) depending on circumstances.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should absolutely talk to other people who contract in the sector and get a sense of what your market rate would be. Don’t just assume based on a company salary.

Like depending on the role a contractor doing ba as part of an implementation would probably be around 1k per day here, but that could easily be double or more depending on the specific work. A technical person probably starts 1.5x that and goes up from there.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not an expert, but I think there's a few basic clauses to keep in mind, like payment up front/work doesn't start until payment recieved, as well as retaining all IP until you are fully paid(depending on type work).

What do people think of mike monteiro's talk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

Milestone payments up to you, but touched on in there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Payment up front is absolutely not the norm when you’re working with real orgs doing system implementation work. But yeah get paid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
most individual subcontractors work on pure time and materials basis in my experience and payment up front is not normal.

i would not do any kind of milestone based invoicing that have any kind of dependencies that you do not directly control

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

While I agree that largely subs and/or smaller jobs do not invoice upfront, I have also seen some fractional invoicing at the start — e.g. 30% of the estimate or something like that.

Of course, on a NET-60 so you’re not actually getting money til you’re done anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Probably not gonna get paid up front but what you need is a contract. Preferably written/reviewed by a lawyer who knows their poo poo. Without that you're at huge risk of getting screwed.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Agreed!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i would not do any kind of milestone based invoicing that have any kind of dependencies that you do not directly control

Yeah, thats what the video I posted touches upon: working with a client to set up deliverable milestones, but also it works as a sort of cancellation fee too. Worth a watch.

I just don't know how relevant all of it is to the line of work Parallelwoody is into, which is why I made it a discussion!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheParadigm posted:

Agreed!

Yeah, thats what the video I posted touches upon: working with a client to set up deliverable milestones, but also it works as a sort of cancellation fee too. Worth a watch.

I just don't know how relevant all of it is to the line of work Parallelwoody is into, which is why I made it a discussion!

When you're doing T&M work in a contractor situation, your deliverable is the hours that you worked.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I suspect all this talk is just a guy who wants to bring someone in as a W-2 but just pay them as a 1099.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

I suspect all this talk is just a guy who wants to bring someone in as a W-2 but just pay them as a 1099.

Should always be your first suspicion and the thing you protect yourself against right off the bat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

When you're doing T&M work in a contractor situation, your deliverable is the hours that you worked.

ya if you are an individual contractor and you don't do T&M you are dumb imo

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lockback posted:

No, the situation makes sense for a 1099 on my end. It is a temp job with deliverables, and I'd be free to work on it in my own time. I wasn't sure if I should set up an hours based agreement or a deliverable based agreement, and it sounds like I just need to do some research and talk to a lawyer. Do appreciate the responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Your personal liability is a huge reason to use a lawyer. Boilerplate contracts shouldn't cost too much.