Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That would be because the Vesper is a bad drink.

Lillet Rosé is definitely worth trying if you like the blanc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

prayer group posted:

That would be because the Vesper is a bad drink.

Lillet Rosé is definitely worth trying if you like the blanc.

I'm willing to believe it was a better drink (surprisingly good for one made by an author and not a bartender at least) with Kina Lillet

Just add some bitters.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Also release Kina Lillet again. I mean they did Suze Saveur d'Autrefois and it was great (by "they" I guess I mean "whatever French guys make these respective drinks)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah all the recipes I saw mentioned "well virtually every ingredient is different/unavailable now so uhhh" so my expectations weren't too high, and it's not like it's radically different from a regular martini anyway

It was mostly an excuse to pick up a bottle of Lillet :v:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Speaking of vermouth I finally tried just straight Dolin with an orange twist and soda water and I wow that's pretty eye opening. For a second I was worried that I don't drink nearly enough Negronis to deal with all the vermouth I bought before it runs into trouble but yeah I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Strange Matter posted:

Speaking of vermouth I finally tried just straight Dolin with an orange twist and soda water and I wow that's pretty eye opening. For a second I was worried that I don't drink nearly enough Negronis to deal with all the vermouth I bought before it runs into trouble but yeah I don't think that's going to be a problem anymore.

Oh yeah. Or just vermouth, rocks, twist. Or a Mi-To. Once you start on fun weird red herbal bitter things, the gin is what you go through slowest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh no don't tell me this, I just ran out the other day. I was trying to attempt the "greenya colada" but didn't have nearly enough, so I just made a little "taste test shot" version and it was amazing. Was looking forward to getting another bottle so I could try it for real.

I heard about there being a chartreuse shortage months ago, not sure how accurate it is since I haven't seen any supply problem around here. But I got another bottle just in case.

E: Apparently it is a thing, found some recent posts from bartenders saying there's a buying limit right now but yellow is still available.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey, is it a dick move to order multiple bitters & sodas if I'm still tipping for them? Was out with some friends who were drinking heavily and I needed to drive so I had 3 of them over an hour or so? And the bartender seemed kind of miffed. The place wasn't overly busy or anything so I dunno what the deal was.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hey, is it a dick move to order multiple bitters & sodas if I'm still tipping for them? Was out with some friends who were drinking heavily and I needed to drive so I had 3 of them over an hour or so? And the bartender seemed kind of miffed. The place wasn't overly busy or anything so I dunno what the deal was.

Nah man, get what you want.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought 2 pounds of limes at Costco today. I usually don't garnish with limes because it seems like a waste. But I think I'll do some garnish for...tiki time.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
My usually well stocked liquor store hasn’t had green in six months. Tons of yellow. I managed to find some green at a hole in the wall liquor store in the middle of nowhere though

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just hit 4 liquor stores and a local mom and pop grocery store. None had, most had no idea what it was. One might have had it but there was no organization whatsoever, so if it was there, it was hiding behind other bottles.

Sucks. I'm on the verge of just calling around for a couple hours to see if anyone has some.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Serving somebody with drunk friends NA drinks is one of the best thing a bartender can do, and if you were tipping on each one you probably just had a sourpuss bartender.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Found some. Now I can try a last word. Good thing I already have the maraschino.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Do they still make creme Yvette or did that company stop/go out of business? Looks to be OOS everywhere online and I'm more likely to find gold bullion on the shelf at my local store.

Also does anyone have any good cocktails that use creme de noyaux?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hm...The Last Word was interesting. Not my favorite. But not bad. Just very odd.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Hm...The Last Word was interesting. Not my favorite. But not bad. Just very odd.

It’s one of my favorites but I find the Maraschino liqueur overpowering, so I up the gin to 1 and use .5 maraschino. I also like to use a more in your face gin like Tanqueray or Junipero

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

my kinda ape posted:

Do they still make creme Yvette or did that company stop/go out of business? Looks to be OOS everywhere online and I'm more likely to find gold bullion on the shelf at my local store.

Also does anyone have any good cocktails that use creme de noyaux?

Creme Yvette is long gone, yes. Creme de noyaux is a strange beast. You might try it in a Pink Squirrel, which is a White Russian with the liqueur in question subbed in for the Kahlua. I’ve never tried it, but now that I’m thinking of it using a split of both noyaux and Kahlua in that drink could be interesting.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My local liquor warehouse is out of both yellow and green chartreuse. They said it's been difficult to get a hold of and when they do get some in it's the 375ml bottles.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Curiada has green in stock at the moment and they ship to a lot of states. Yellow OOS. Astor Wines has half bottles of yellow in stock and they ship to quite a few places.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of Chartreuse, has anyone had the VEP Yellow?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you like sour cocktails in general? Paper plane, aviation, etc? Or is it just the chartreuse that throws you?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

obi_ant posted:

It’s lovely. The oak accentuates the vanilla and saffron really nicely.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you like sour cocktails in general? Paper plane, aviation, etc? Or is it just the chartreuse that throws you?

I like Tiki drinks. More alcohol forward cocktails don't do a lot for me. I definitely prefer the PP to the LW. Aviation I made once but don't remember my opinion. TLW is very flavorful, but I couldn't really figure it out. I'll make it again some time when I've already had a drink and see how it goes then.

I hadn't had a drink in a week or so when I made that drink last night.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

obi_ant posted:

Yeah. It’s nice, definitely more concentrated- I personally think the yellow flavor balance takes better to things like soda and tonic, so the VEP isn’t my favorite.

If you can get a hold of the Somm edition Yellow sold in Europe, that’s its highest calling.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Just made a TLW for the first time, 3/4 oz luxardo, lime and green chartreuse with a full oz of Sipsmith dry. I think it's an excellent gin pairing, juniper up front goes well with the chartreuse and the sour note at the end gives it nice depth. Put me on the list with everyone else who expected luxardo maraschino to taste like cherries lol.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 7, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hell yeah, my liquor store had green chartreuse. That should last me another year or so.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm going to have to try it again soon, but my early experiences making it always turned out too sour and "chalky" if that makes sense. I want to try it again now that I feel like I've improved my shaking technique a bit. And if that falls, I may try a stirred version.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Love me a Last Word. Pretty much the only thing I use chartreuse in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whereas I'm more of the "Chartreuse may as well be a go-to neat for me" persuasion. Nice and intense just when I need a sipper that isn't bitter and can pack a pretty good punch.

I noted a while ago that I made a caipirinha with it and that remains one of my favorites for kicking off a weekend.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chartreuse neat is great, also amazing in an improved whiskey cocktail as a liquor addition to the rye/bourbon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My dad used to drink it straight. I can't stand it, but it's good in cocktails.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Picked up a couple things today. Tried a bottle of Tanqueray Rangpur and...honestly, I prefer the original. The lime flavor doesn't really add anything that a fresh squeeze/wedge doesn't already do. It's also slightly weaker than the normal stuff. Tried it neat, in a G&T and a pink gin + soda.

This stuff, though:

It's very sweet, and I don't know what I would mix it with, but as a digestif on the rocks it's top-notch. They recommend drinking it alongside a coffee but I was too lazy for that, but yeah it'd be a fantastic combo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

While I'm posting here, anyone got good absinthe-forward cocktails? I love absinthe and it usually just shows up as a rinse or tiny addition. I have a good bottle and would like to do more than just drinking straight.

I may have asked this before but I am currently drunk on sake.

E: Here's one of the cats that lived at an absinthe bar I used to go to in China, as payment for my question.

They had like 70 different bottles, it was rad. Mostly Czech.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 7, 2022

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I want to make a Presbyterian but I feel like it’s a massive waste considering the shortage of both spirits.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Death in the Afternoon, my dude. Absinthe and champagne. Combination of champions.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've probably posted this story before, but one of the best parties I've ever been to was a Christmas party hosted by one of the old-time servers at the restaurant I was working at. I made punch, there were huge piles of food, it was great. The bartender had brought her a bottle of green Chartreuse as a Christmas present (her favorite), and late in the party she went around with a tray full of shots of the Chartreuse. Absolutely incredible time.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I like Tiki drinks. More alcohol forward cocktails don't do a lot for me. I definitely prefer the PP to the LW. Aviation I made once but don't remember my opinion. TLW is very flavorful, but I couldn't really figure it out. I'll make it again some time when I've already had a drink and see how it goes then.

I hadn't had a drink in a week or so when I made that drink last night.

Try it with rum or mezcal, or whiskey + lemon juice

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

While I'm posting here, anyone got good absinthe-forward cocktails? I love absinthe and it usually just shows up as a rinse or tiny addition. I have a good bottle and would like to do more than just drinking straight.

I may have asked this before but I am currently drunk on sake.

E: Here's one of the cats that lived at an absinthe bar I used to go to in China, as payment for my question.

They had like 70 different bottles, it was rad. Mostly Czech.

I add in 1/8th to 1/4 oz to a martini. It's great!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Waltzing Along posted:

Swap the gin for a good rye and the lime juice for lemon juice and you have the (imo) superior Final Ward. I feel like the ingredients meld better in the final ward, makes it more rounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Carillon posted:

Honestly on the water front, if you have good water it's super easy to carbonate your own. I held off a long time thinking I didn't have the space or whatever, but it's been a game changer. I can get super sparkling 2 liters of water when I want! Plus if you've never had a carbonated Manhattan they are amazing.

Just to add to this, if you already have a Sodastream (or can buy one on Craigslist like I did) you can buy an adaptor on Amazon for like $40 that will let a standard industrial CO2 tank plumb in.

I got a 20lb tank and it lets us do like ~3 liters of seltzer a day for 9 months between refills which are like $40.