Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix's adaptation of Sandman is out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Paper Girls was really good but It felt like a lot of setup, nothing has been resolved and now I have to wait who knows how long for more

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Opopanax posted:

Paper Girls was really good but It felt like a lot of setup, nothing has been resolved and now I have to wait who knows how long for more

Definitely feel like it petered out at the end. Most of the character stuff was really good and well done, but the plot parts kind of couldn't keep up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Enjoyed the first episode of The Sandman, and it's been so long since I read it that I don't really recall much of what happens so looking forward to being surprised all over again for the most part.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finished Paper Girls last night and I thought the character beats were all excellent. The story never really arrived and the show seemed to be more focused on the girls and their interactions than the actual war, which was fine in itself, but left things a bit complicated about what was actually going on in the wider context of what is going on.
The budget really became apparent in the last episode where special effects were needed oof, some creature design seemed straight out of early 2000's.
I enjoyed the show for the most part and would probably say 7/10 overall. The characters were really good and well cast. One nitpick I do have, and I know that the show has strayed from the book quite a bit and after seeing the special effects in the final episode I should probably be glad they didn't do it, but I would have loved to see the characters jump to time periods that weren't the last 50 years, specifically and spoiler for the comic book I guess 10,000 years in the past and thirty odd years in the future

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sandman Episode 5 is the adaptation of "24 Hours" and is a pretty straightforward adaptation. If you have an aversion to gore, probably skip the middle third.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Sandman Episode 5 is the adaptation of "24 Hours" and is a pretty straightforward adaptation. If you have an aversion to gore, probably skip the middle third.

I was wondering how they were going to adapt two arcs into one season so I am assuming Preludes ends with 6 and Dolls house begins in episode 7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I was wondering how they were going to adapt two arcs into one season so I am assuming Preludes ends with 6 and Dolls house begins in episode 7.

Yeah, that's exactly how it's laid out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thinking of the Sandman show and hoping that Netflix does commit to it like they did with Witcher/Stranger Things. It would be cool if between seasons they did animated shorts of all the one and done stories. You don't need to commit full episodes during a season for stuff like Dream of a thousand cats or Ramadan but some 15 minute cartoons between season one and two would be pretty sweet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Madkal posted:

Thinking of the Sandman show and hoping that Netflix does commit to it like they did with Witcher/Stranger Things. It would be cool if between seasons they did animated shorts of all the one and done stories. You don't need to commit full episodes during a season for stuff like Dream of a thousand cats or Ramadan but some 15 minute cartoons between season one and two would be pretty sweet.

Counterpoint, Dream of a Thousand Cats is amazing and I'm ready to cry

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sandman talk, it's real fuckin good. 24/7 was dark and didn't pull punches and Sound of Her Wings, add predicted, has me crying like an infant.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Endless Mike posted:

John Dee / Dr Destiny is much less evil however. (He also lacks his comic versions inability to dream so does not have a ghoulish appearance. )

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
*starts episode 3*

Oh my loving god, they’re doing Newcastle!

gently caress the King of Goths and his fetch quest, give me JLC doing all 300 issues of Hellblazer right loving now, inject it into my veins.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

*starts episode 3*

Oh my loving god, they’re doing Newcastle!

gently caress the King of Goths and his fetch quest, give me JLC doing all 300 issues of Hellblazer right loving now, inject it into my veins.

Yeah I was a bit leery of it being Johanna but my reaction was the same as yours. Immediately googled to see if there was a series planned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Word on Twitter is Gotham Knights may be canceled, but no major source is reporting it yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Word on Twitter is Gotham Knights may be canceled, but no major source is reporting it yet.

oh noooo :geno:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Honestly forgot that was even a thing, did a double take and thought you were talking about the video game of the same title until I realized what thread I was in.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Aphrodite posted:

There will be tens of disappointed fans if that happens.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this ends up happening, but the “source” seems to be a DC news aggregator Twitter account claiming Erik Davis said something he didn’t actually say. Seems like a game of Twitter Telephone turning speculation into “confirmation,” as often happens in fandom.

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1556009460950355969?s=21&t=vZADIGtTkbievcCOkRVViA

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1556030228555857920?s=21&t=vZADIGtTkbievcCOkRVViA

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's a show no one is asking for so....meh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
People at WB are saying that the cancelations of Scoob and Batgirl are just one off things that will, never, ever, ever happen again, pinky swear!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love just how many shows they're willing to do to dance around the idea of a Batman show. There are countless shows of characters with actual powers and different worlds and all the million other things that require special effects and CG but for whatever reason the guy in a bat suit with a cool car is something that can never be its own show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I love just how many shows they're willing to do to dance around the idea of a Batman show. There are countless shows of characters with actual powers and different worlds and all the million other things that require special effects and CG but for whatever reason the guy in a bat suit with a cool car is something that can never be its own show.

Don't be foolish, you know if fans see different actors in the same role in different mediums, their heads might explode. Over 100 deaths were reported when that scene where Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller met in the CW's Crisis aired

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Don't be foolish, you know if fans see different actors in the same role in different mediums, their heads might explode. Over 100 deaths were reported when that scene where Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller met in the CW's Crisis aired

I still don't understand how there were two different Sherlock Holmes', why they there both fighting Thanos of all people, and why both Watsons got up to some veeeeery odd behaviour in those other Marvel films.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Was there any specific reason for changing Constantine? I really don’t mind, just curious

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Was there any specific reason for changing Constantine? I really don’t mind, just curious

Because they didn't want to double up actors with a present Constantine and a past one so they just used the same for both.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lobok posted:

I still don't understand how there were two different Sherlock Holmes', why they there both fighting Thanos of all people, and why both Watsons got up to some veeeeery odd behaviour in those other Marvel films.

I really hope Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu end up in the MCU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

omg chael crash posted:

When the actor was announced, I thought there were discussions of a separate Constantine show and they either wanted to use the same actor for both, or have the Constantine show be boy-Constantine and Sandman be the girl-Constantine. I assume the show is dead, unless they've somehow made it fit under reality TV.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
new Constantine will be Matt reeves on a ghost hunting show

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
My main worry over Jenna Coleman being cast was that I thought she was too posh, but it turns out she's a joiner's daughter from blackpool and she's just been acting the whole time!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

When the actor was announced, I thought there were discussions of a separate Constantine show and they either wanted to use the same actor for both, or have the Constantine show be boy-Constantine and Sandman be the girl-Constantine. I assume the show is dead, unless they've somehow made it fit under reality TV.

Last I heard they were looking for a POC for the new Constantine reboot, that's why Matt Ryan's John Constantine had to die on Legends of Tomorrow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

People at WB are saying that the cancelations of Scoob and Batgirl are just one off things that will, never, ever, ever happen again, pinky swear!

It's sort of true. They can do it now because of the massive debt they're already taking on as part of the merge. It's just tacking on another 90 million or so to that.

Obviously mechanically they can do it whenever, but the business excuse for it really only works now.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rohan Kishibe posted:

My main worry over Jenna Coleman being cast was that I thought she was too posh, but it turns out she's a joiner's daughter from blackpool and she's just been acting the whole time!

I'm loving the Sandman show so far but yeah, my only minor quibble is I wish they'd let Johanna Constantine be more scruffy and less polished. John was always pretty rumpled and stubbly, while Johanna wakes up on the couch already looking like she's walking into a job interview at a successful lifestyle magazine. The actress is nailing the actual acting, though. Awesome casting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm loving the Sandman show so far but yeah, my only minor quibble is I wish they'd let Johanna Constantine be more scruffy and less polished. John was always pretty rumpled and stubbly, while Johanna wakes up on the couch already looking like she's walking into a job interview at a successful lifestyle magazine. The actress is nailing the actual acting, though. Awesome casting.

:agreed:

That nice white coat would be so filthy

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

It's sort of true. They can do it now because of the massive debt they're already taking on as part of the merge. It's just tacking on another 90 million or so to that.

Obviously mechanically they can do it whenever, but the business excuse for it really only works now.

Yea but the "we won't cancel any other projects that are currently in the works" thing is what i highly doubt, especially stuff that is animation or only at planning stages.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was pretty surprised that Johanna Constantine was... well, Constantine. When I heard about it, I thought they were rolling the original Johanna from Hob's story into John's place and then giving her some kind of immortality subplot to explain it. But no, she's actually Constantine, with Hellblazer namedrops and everything. Now I wanna see Hellblazer starring her.

Was also surprised that Azazel looked just like comics Azazel--after Choronzon came out looking like a Buffy demon of the week I didn't really have high hopes that he'd be anything other than another guy in makeup.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I've done eps 1-6 so far and even if it does crater off/lull considerably for the last few eps, that block of stories from 3-6 was so well done that it's gotten enough goodwill from me to want another 3 or 4 series. The Constantine ep was pretty much everything I've wanted forever (give her a Hellblazer show now!), and the Death/Hob ep was absolutely wonderful. Lol at Hob's 80s yuppie scum look, complete with brick phone. Magic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Enjoyed the first episode of The Sandman, and it's been so long since I read it that I don't really recall much of what happens so looking forward to being surprised all over again for the most part.

Is it all released at once? Thinking of reupping with Netflix watching the whole thing then canceling again.

Anything else new on Netflix that makes it worth it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wasn't he alot more mysterious and put together in the Sandman comic itself? I dunno I goddamn forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Shageletic posted:

Is it all released at once? Thinking of reupping with Netflix watching the whole thing then canceling again.

Anything else new on Netflix that makes it worth it?

Yeah, the whole thing is out, I'm just pacing myself.

If you fancy Bizarroworld absurdity, Resident Evil has the always wonderful Lance Reddick playing Albert loving Wesker as a concerned dad, smiter of bullies and their parents at school disciplinary meetings, and warning CEOs their new product is not safe to use. And depending where in the world you are, Better Call Saul is wrapping up on it, and I've been kinda digging Russian Doll so far.

Um, that's about it.