Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cool Dad posted:

I remember a while ago, someone in the Steam thread posted about some game that was like minecraft but better, made by some group that made a big minecraft mod. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or is this a fever dream I had?

There's also Hytale, but lol at that ever coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Jawnycat posted:

Vintage Story is fantastic, a very strong recommend, double since it has a healthy but small modding community too, so things can be more tweaked to ones liking. Only downsides to it is allot of tedium when it comes to making certain stuff in bulk, bad numbers when it comes to certain item durability (armour mainly) and iffy combat: hunting and animal combat is fine but the main antagonistic monsters currently suck.

Also persistent food spoilage and long seasons can make multiplayer a bit... unno, lowkey stressful? On a private friends server at least I always felt bad if I was playing entirely on my own since I was actively making everyone's larder rot and robbing them of notwintertime.

Can you disable the weird monster stuff? I've not played the game but it sounds like an incongruous thing to put into what sounds like a fairly fastidious survival game

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Deketh posted:

Can you disable the weird monster stuff? I've not played the game but it sounds like an incongruous thing to put into what sounds like a fairly fastidious survival game

There’s a mod disabling bells and drifters, leaving locusts. There’s in game commands to disable temporal storms and temporal rifts, which removes drifter spawning on the surface.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

HelloSailorSign posted:

There’s a mod disabling bells and drifters, leaving locusts. There’s in game commands to disable temporal storms and temporal rifts, which removes drifter spawning on the surface.

Sounds good. I might take a swing at it soon if most of that stuff can be switched off

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, when I played I had it set up to only allow wildlife on the surface. It still felt really good and not cheaty because night in VS gets dark and wandering around areas you don't know well is dangerous for very natural reasons without involving monsters. But areas you know well (your base) are perfectly safe at night apart from the occasional stray predator.

The solution to food spoilage on MP is (apparently) to leave your fields unharvested, since it'll stay ripe indefinitely.

Definitely give some thought to playing for a few hours at first, then going and grabbing a bunch of mods that sound good to you once you know what you like or don't. Some of them require a world reset but it's worth doing so if you're enjoying your time with the game.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I do think there should still be the weirdo enemies in the caves, otherwise caves become less dangerous than the surface. Also, while temporal gears aren't used for a lot of stuff, what they are used for can be super cool/interesting (resetting spawn point and static translocators) and losing the main source of those - drifters - would remove that part of play.

Unless you want to pan bony soil or set up next to a Treasure Hunter trader.

I got the hankering to play again.... been on a Project Zomboid and Pathfinder kick.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Also wolves exist, so drifters are only one of the mob hazards to your health.

Running around during winter and hunting with a spear and furs was probably my favorite part of Vintage Story. Black Bronze spear is good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Twenty Four posted:

I think like piano chimp said above, and many others have said before, turning off infection is more common than not for most people, because that unlucky bite to the neck from behind that you didn't see coming while you were fighting off a few in front of you or a similar situation feels like too brutal of a random death sentence.

There is a decent chance a bite or laceration to the neck will be a death sentence anyways if you're in a bad spot that makes bandaging awkward. :v:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is a decent chance a bite or laceration to the neck will be a death sentence anyways if you're in a bad spot that makes bandaging awkward. :v:

Apply tourniquet to neck.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Briskly walking away from a horde while ripping your shirt apart to tie around your gaping neck wound is a quintessential Zomboid experience

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Absolutely! There's so many things that could easily kill you anyhow, taking a mild scratch to your pinky finger or whatever and RNG decides your days are absolutely numbered is a disheartening enough of a thing, that after a few times of that I think most people who realize or learn that there's an option to turn off infection do so. I understand why it's not, but it almost feels like infection should be hardcore mode instead of default.

Saul Kain posted:

Apply tourniquet to neck.

lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deketh posted:

The game is heavily balanced around the monsters making caving and staying out 24/7 dangerous, fighting them is a chore but their presence adds a nice vibe of a stone age survivor sticking to the rhythms of the environment and hiding from the darkness, without them you will probably run through the tech tree and get bored very quickly

you can use a console command to turn off the warp storms where the game just shits infinite boring monsters directly on top of you, definitely do that

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 4, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Having played it, how is it "heavily balanced" around it being dangerous to be outside? Because armor is expensive? I don't get how what you're suggesting is fundamental to the core game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I either play with infection off or instant infections, cause waiting around for a week to see if you're dead is lame

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Having played it, how is it "heavily balanced" around it being dangerous to be outside? Because armor is expensive? I don't get how what you're suggesting is fundamental to the core game.

A large part of what slows down my progress in the early to mid game is the inability to continue to explore and bring back new/more resources at night. Wolves (and bears?) will still aggro you at night, but in general you run into far fewer of them. When it's night time and a busy rift night, you'll be huddled in your dirt hut with your few torches hoping the demons outside don't get in rather than out finding ruins to pilfer items/resources/panning blocks and/or finding new surface metal deposits to further your development. That time inside then is used for knapping and clayforming.

It's a big change for me once I get a fence up with lighting throughout my home, as then my things to do when it's night out and I can't explore expand to include crop management, bees, fruit trees, etc.

But slowing down the player's progression means they spend more time in each era as it seems was intended.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I lost a character in zomboid because i pushed through a tree and it scratched my neck. Died before I realised what had happened.

I'm still pissed about it. I wish characters would just autobandage the life threatening bleed out injury.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Always, always pay attention to the health icon on the left side of the screen. If it's bouncing you're losing HP.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
bleeding moodle is another "TAKE CARE OF THIS RIGHT NOW" flag

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh I know, but neck bleed outs happen incredibly quickly and something IRL distracted me for a moment.

I'd get it if I got bitten, but a random neck injury from a twig? Gah, nah, gently caress off.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

dogstile posted:

Oh I know, but neck bleed outs happen incredibly quickly and something IRL distracted me for a moment.

I'd get it if I got bitten, but a random neck injury from a twig? Gah, nah, gently caress off.

Yeah, I get clothing or equipment degradation or maybe very rarely taking damage if you're sprinting through the woods, but I think most people would be able to navigate around trees without needing to go to the ER.

On a different note, the fast shambling zombies are very unnerving to me. Both because they can close distance much faster than the shufflers so you have less time to act if you're spotted, but also something about their weird arm flailing animation makes me very uncomfortable.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pro tip: if you right click and select "Walk To" then your character automatically navigates around trees and shrubs instead of trying to puncture their neck

I like that you can clumsily rub yourself against trees or crawl over broken glass, then eventually bleed out and die. Or die because you ate a bunch of rancid lobster with a dog food chaser

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BrianRx posted:

On a different note, the fast shambling zombies are very unnerving to me. Both because they can close distance much faster than the shufflers so you have less time to act if you're spotted, but also something about their weird arm flailing animation makes me very uncomfortable.

7 Days added a feature where zombies can crawl through 1-tile high openings and they do it in some really uh, emergent situations, it is janky as gently caress and it is utterly terrifying.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BrianRx posted:

I tried sprinters once but they were extremely OP. I died so many times before just giving up. I saw there’s a mod for changing sprinters / introducing more types that were faster than fast shamblers but slower than the player’s jog speed, maybe that would work.

I do like the idea of a TON of really weak zombies that someone else posted about earlier. Maybe I’ll try that next.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

QuarkJets posted:

Pro tip: if you right click and select "Walk To" then your character automatically navigates around trees and shrubs instead of trying to puncture their neck

I like that you can clumsily rub yourself against trees or crawl over broken glass, then eventually bleed out and die. Or die because you ate a bunch of rancid lobster with a dog food chaser

I just want the game to have a difference between a small cut and "holy poo poo i just impaled my neck on this tree" tbh. They want to have a decent wound system, expanding what they got would be a nice place to start.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I think the point is that you really shouldn't be doing inside things during the day. The day is for resource gathering, the night is for crafting. That's the rhythm of survival thing.

Basically the biggest problem is that, as people have said, the current mob outlay is boring. Mostly because the mob AI is bad and boring. Many of the game systems are extremely interesting. Even mining is somewhat interesting, although it does need some tweaking. Clay crafting, smithing, bow and armor making are all very deep and cool.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

dogstile posted:

I just want the game to have a difference between a small cut and "holy poo poo i just impaled my neck on this tree" tbh. They want to have a decent wound system, expanding what they got would be a nice place to start.

yeah this is something various other games do better (7 Days e.g.) have the whole screen do a really obnoxious bleeding FX to make sure it has your attention for a really serious injury.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm getting a huge moral malus for "too many infestations' but there are no buildings listed as infested in a long way around my base. Do they want me to take out the wandering hordes/screamers/bloaters? Or get rid of the plague heart?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Yeah, I get clothing or equipment degradation or maybe very rarely taking damage if you're sprinting through the woods, but I think most people would be able to navigate around trees without needing to go to the ER.

Lol yes, the phrasing there made me laugh. Though sprinting through the woods getting a scrape would make sense, but probably not like, fatal.

QuarkJets posted:

I often forget about this, but this is one of those dumb workarounds for a dumb thing (not your fault obviously, just saying). Also, if I remember right, while doing this there's the downside of you can walk into a zombie and it's like "too bad, you just keep walking"?

dogstile posted:

Agreed!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm getting a huge moral malus for "too many infestations' but there are no buildings listed as infested in a long way around my base. Do they want me to take out the wandering hordes/screamers/bloaters? Or get rid of the plague heart?

Distance to infestations isn't relevant for the morale reduction, just having them on the map counts as "near" the base. Killing hordes and hearts will still help morale though so it's a good alternative if reaching the infestations is problematic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Presumably re: State of Decay

The Lone Badger posted:

Check your map for houses near you highlighted in yellow. Infestations are just regular small POIs with a group of 12 or so zombies and a screamer or two, you can clear them with plain old beat down tactics at worst. Fairly obviously, you want to target the screamers first.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've started playing Vintage Story as well since you guys kept mentioning it, any tips are appreciated. So far I only have a dirt house, a campfire, torch, an axe, knife, a basket, grass and cattails, what should I focus on next besides food (and what would be the best source of food now?)

edit: wtf is this should I enter it?

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 5, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

I've started playing Vintage Story as well since you guys kept mentioning it, any tips are appreciated. So far I only have a dirt house, a campfire, torch, an axe, knife, a basket, grass and cattails, what should I focus on next besides food (and what would be the best source of food now?)

Make sure when you find copper nuggets (or tin, or quartz, or any coal variant) to mark it on your map. Dig a bit deeper at that spot and you'll find a vein of that particular material. For copper, it'll be one of the better early copper sources, usually.

You'll want to gather a lot of blue clay. Blue clay is your general clay, fire clay is a bit more special (has additional uses) though you can use it for the same stuff as blue. Make clay things. Storage vessels are great, far more capacity than reed baskets. Cooking pot lets you get more creative with meals. Crocks let you store meals. Various molds - once fired - let you cast metal items easily and potentially in a mass producible way (you can have 4 pickax molds if you really want). You'll need a crucible and a few bowls. If you do have fireclay, you could turn it into an oven, lets you make bread and pies (eventually). Basically, making at least 1 of every item you can make out of blue clay is not a bad idea to at least see what it is and does.

If you get tons of clay and have a source of limestone around, you could even start making bricks to make a more permanent looking structure.

Once you've got a pickax and hammer molds and a crucible done, you can start melting and casting metal. Each toolhead mold takes 100 units, so work in units of 100 total metal output. With copper that's easy; with alloys it takes some calculations. The goal is to get an anvil which allows creation of tools which have no mold - most importantly, the saw blade.

Best source of food in the beginning is hunting and berries, augmented with foraged grain/vegetables. But, you should start figuring out a small farm area to start planting seeds, ideally around a small source of water as a water block provides 100-25x % water per block with x being distance from the water block. Higher water, better growing. You can make do with a water can, but I don't like that, too much effort. Make sure to build it so rabbits can't get in - 2 block high wall works fine - or spawn in - any grass blocks in the farm or on the wall. I tend to break down some ruins I find and use the cobblestone blocks to build the 2nd level of the wall with a dirt base.

By the time major amounts of food are coming in, you should have clay storage vessels fired and ready, as they have the better food preservation stats, particularly when enclosed in a room.

You can also consider keeping an ear out for a beehive to get your own bees going for wax and honey.

That's a temporal portal. If you stay too close, you'll lose temporal stability. At night, drifters come out of it. With too low temporal stability, you enter the Rust World. lol, lmao

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

HelloSailorSign posted:

Make sure when you find copper nuggets (or tin, or quartz, or any coal variant) to mark it on your map. Dig a bit deeper at that spot and you'll find a vein of that particular material. For copper, it'll be one of the better early copper sources, usually.

You'll want to gather a lot of blue clay. Blue clay is your general clay, fire clay is a bit more special (has additional uses) though you can use it for the same stuff as blue. Make clay things. Storage vessels are great, far more capacity than reed baskets. Cooking pot lets you get more creative with meals. Crocks let you store meals. Various molds - once fired - let you cast metal items easily and potentially in a mass producible way (you can have 4 pickax molds if you really want). You'll need a crucible and a few bowls. If you do have fireclay, you could turn it into an oven, lets you make bread and pies (eventually). Basically, making at least 1 of every item you can make out of blue clay is not a bad idea to at least see what it is and does.

If you get tons of clay and have a source of limestone around, you could even start making bricks to make a more permanent looking structure.

Once you've got a pickax and hammer molds and a crucible done, you can start melting and casting metal. Each toolhead mold takes 100 units, so work in units of 100 total metal output. With copper that's easy; with alloys it takes some calculations. The goal is to get an anvil which allows creation of tools which have no mold - most importantly, the saw blade.

Best source of food in the beginning is hunting and berries, augmented with foraged grain/vegetables. But, you should start figuring out a small farm area to start planting seeds, ideally around a small source of water as a water block provides 100-25x % water per block with x being distance from the water block. Higher water, better growing. You can make do with a water can, but I don't like that, too much effort. Make sure to build it so rabbits can't get in - 2 block high wall works fine - or spawn in - any grass blocks in the farm or on the wall. I tend to break down some ruins I find and use the cobblestone blocks to build the 2nd level of the wall with a dirt base.

By the time major amounts of food are coming in, you should have clay storage vessels fired and ready, as they have the better food preservation stats, particularly when enclosed in a room.

You can also consider keeping an ear out for a beehive to get your own bees going for wax and honey.

That's a temporal portal. If you stay too close, you'll lose temporal stability. At night, drifters come out of it. With too low temporal stability, you enter the Rust World. lol, lmao

poo poo if I had known I would have marked the spot where I found the nuggets earlier :doh:
I'll look around and see if I can find some clay. The Rust World seems interesting but it doesn't seem like a good time lol. Thank you for the tips!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There is nothing to be gained in the Rust World, only death. You try to avoid getting to <10% temporal stability as much as possible.

Copper's usually not in super low supply, and if you really are desperate, cutting a log block into a pan for panning and going through sand/gravel but ideally bony soil (found under ruins) can usually get you enough to make your starter tools. Your prospecting pick may show your area is a 30% which means you'll be absolutely swimming once you start making mineshafts.

Once you have storage, or at least a place you're comfortable stacking wood, start stockpiling fire logs. You'll need a ton to make charcoal with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

[SOD2] Do I only get one recruit for each enclave I break up? I wanted to add three people to my band, but as soon as I recruit one the rest disappear as their enclave disbands.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Lone Badger posted:

[SOD2] Do I only get one recruit for each enclave I break up? I wanted to add three people to my band, but as soon as I recruit one the rest disappear as their enclave disbands.

Yeah once you recruit one they all scatter, hilariously.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can sometimes get an opportunity to recruit an entire enclave at once by doing their quests. It takes a while though and you can wind up with some crap recruits so it's usually more effective to just pick one to grab as soon as you can if you don't want to keep them around for ally bonuses. More enclaves will keep spawning as you play.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Big Scary Owl posted:

poo poo if I had known I would have marked the spot where I found the nuggets earlier :doh:
I'll look around and see if I can find some clay. The Rust World seems interesting but it doesn't seem like a good time lol. Thank you for the tips!

Also don't forget to make a cellar, as it extends food shelf life and it multiplicatively stacks with things like crock pots. I think it needs to be below ground (this part might be wrong but building it underground is certainly easier at first), and definitely needs to be fully sealed (no windows, door up the exit or just make do with temporarily blocking it off with dirt) with no strong light sources. The little oil lamps are fine.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

metasynthetic posted:

Also don't forget to make a cellar, as it extends food shelf life and it multiplicatively stacks with things like crock pots. I think it needs to be below ground (this part might be wrong but building it underground is certainly easier at first), and definitely needs to be fully sealed (no windows, door up the exit or just make do with temporarily blocking it off with dirt) with no strong light sources. The little oil lamps are fine.

Once you make a chisel you can make a teeny tiny little hole in a wall and store a vessel fully sealed in behind it, convenient for not having to care about sealing in a basement properly for storage. Is hard to make the hole look nice without it no longer counting as a full block tho, can't get away with much more than just a 2x2 microblock hole straight through before it no longer counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Oh, that's a cool little trick.