Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sign me up as another person who is annoyed with waiting for Naruto and Goku to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Big fan of stapling a bunch of animals together to make a plasma cannon. The rest of the chapter...not so much.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
this sucks

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Shinjobi posted:

Ehhhh let's not rewrite that. He sucked just as much.

that juxtaposition the person you're responding to mentioned has been consistent in naruto discourse though. one of the main things people loved about the whole madara part of the story was his battle with guy and the fact that guy, a fully Random Dude With No Destiny Powers, was able to get pretty close to beating madara, which is pretty clearly the opposite of what's happening here

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, I :lol:'d at the end of this. Just a bunch of crying and sobbing and then one dude at the end breaks through with ":lol: HOLY poo poo"

Sindai posted:

Big fan of stapling a bunch of animals together to make a plasma cannon. The rest of the chapter...not so much.

Okay, yeah, I'm down with this. That was a pretty badass scene.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Oxxidation posted:

answer honestly, do you think that's why people are nonplussed with this update

yo side note because i only found this out by getting dragged for it like two weeks ago but nonplussed apparently means the opposite of what it sounds like lol

what a stupid loving word

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Is Bakugou going to be one of Deku's quirk ghosts since he had One For All for 5 minutes in that one movie?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tbp posted:

that juxtaposition the person you're responding to mentioned has been consistent in naruto discourse though. one of the main things people loved about the whole madara part of the story was his battle with guy and the fact that guy, a fully Random Dude With No Destiny Powers, was able to get pretty close to beating madara, which is pretty clearly the opposite of what's happening here

I hear ya, but that was one tiny droplet of good in an ocean of awful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tbp posted:

yo side note because i only found this out by getting dragged for it like two weeks ago but nonplussed apparently means the opposite of what it sounds like lol

what a stupid loving word

quote:

The first records of nonplussed as an adjective come from around 1600. The word nonplus was originally used as a noun, and it comes from the Latin phrase nōn plūs, literally translating as “not more” and meaning “no further,” referring to a state in which nothing more can be done—a standstill.

confound you, latin

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fabricated posted:

I have to ask- do people here just not read battle shonen series or something because "The big bad completely kicks the poo poo out of the ancillary/side cast as they throw their best stuff at them" and "The big bad (presumably) kills the MC's friend and/or rival" is some extremely, extremely, extremely well-trodden ground

Yes we do. This is still poorly done.

"This sucks lol"
"But don't you know.....tropes?"

Shut the gently caress up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The experience of being a battle manga fan is getting mad at the identical ways every series shits the bed, falling in love with new series that start out with fresh and interesting takes, and hoping against hope that they don’t fall to the same flaws as the last series you followed

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I would simply walk it off, tbh

For real, tho, this blows

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes we do. This is still poorly done.

"This sucks lol"
"But don't you know.....tropes?"

Shut the gently caress up.
Nah. My only issue is we're doing this fairly standard turn now??? When you, presumably, have like a half dozen other fights to finish or for that matter even START officially? You could off-panel all of the rest in a single chapter and the timing of this twist would be weird.

"ANyway, we're going to cut away from this death we're going through a fair amount of pains to convey is real to do like a half a year more of different fights"

I'd have been like "Ah okay this is the climax" if this fight here had been moved to the end of the whole thing and we got all the other fights out of the way. But now?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shere posted:

I could not tell what the gently caress was going on in about half the panels in this chapter. lmao if bakugo dies to big bad no selling his brink of death shounen power up. why even waste panels explaining it if he just immediately dies???

Is the implication here that Bakugou exploded his own heart? Otherwise I'm not sure what the point of "the sweat went throughout his body and was detonated, giving him extra speed for some utterly bizarre reason (because we know that random explosions inside your body make you fast)" was given it accomplished literally nothing in the fight other than "dodging a single attack."

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

assuming his heart just stopped, this could be leading to kaminari's shining moment of friendship and heroism

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Is the implication here that Bakugou exploded his own heart? Otherwise I'm not sure what the point of "the sweat went throughout his body and was detonated, giving him extra speed for some utterly bizarre reason (because we know that random explosions inside your body make you fast)" was given it accomplished literally nothing in the fight other than "dodging a single attack."

He didn't even get a good hit in. Yamcha at least beat the saibaman's rear end before the turn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really just don't understand what was even accomplished. Like, he gets back up, explodes his own blood to go faster (??????) to maybe dodge an attack, and... dies anyway from doing that, having done nothing to Shigaraki. What? What was the point of any of this?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arist posted:

I really just don't understand what was even accomplished. Like, he gets back up, explodes his own blood to go faster (??????) to maybe dodge an attack, and... dies anyway from doing that, having done nothing to Shigaraki. What? What was the point of any of this?

Nothing but to up the stakes even more and have more people get owned in the lamest way possible

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The plan is to do something so stupid it gets Shigaraki to facepalm, decaying himself

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ytlaya posted:

Is the implication here that Bakugou exploded his own heart?

I think we're beyond implication, here, like there's literally a shot in the chapter of his heart exploding.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I figured the explanation about the sweat was going to lead to him blowing himself up Vegeta style. Especially given the comments to Jeanist about looking after everyone. Which I guess might still happen next chapter? Or some asspull where Deku swoops in 30 chapters from now? Who knows.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The experience of being a battle manga fan is getting mad at the identical ways every series shits the bed, falling in love with new series that start out with fresh and interesting takes, and hoping against hope that they don’t fall to the same flaws as the last series you followed

:hmmyes:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We're still sped up for pacing since TWO people did a last ditch power up in this chapter that did loving nothing. We even had pro hero Jeanist go "S-SO FAST!", just impressive narrative decisions from start to finish. Hopefully Hori can end this soon, he doesn't seem to be having any fun lmao

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm still wondering what the point of S&S was. The series keeps insisting that she had an important contribution, but AFO doesn't seem to have lost any significant Quirks, Shiggy is still unbeatable even with all of their planning and combat data, and Hori even had Jiro manage to cause a Quirk revolt through being a scrappy enough minor character. :psyduck:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It was just a half-assed excuse for why every other country is ignoring the earth-shattering events going on in Japan

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Next chapter is just a YYH-style ending cutting away to Deku running into a sunset saying "Haha, yeah, that AfO guy sure was tough!" THE END

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, Stars and Stripes served the purpose of explaining why the rest the world isn't intervening as a war destroys Japan

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Arist posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, Stars and Stripes served the purpose of explaining why the rest the world isn't intervening as a war destroys Japan

Except that's all you had to say. And that isn't all it did it also set up that shiragekis quirk ghosts are fighting him except that turns out to have been nothing. So it was a pointless fight that set up things that ended up meaning less than nothing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except that's all you had to say. And that isn't all it did it also set up that shiragekis quirk ghosts are fighting him except that turns out to have been nothing. So it was a pointless fight that set up things that ended up meaning less than nothing.
Well the quirk ghost rebellion seems to be important to the AFO fight but I feel like you could've done that without the Stars and Stripes thing.

Really, the smart thing to have done with Star and Stripes if she had to be there at all would've been to have her fend off Shigaraki (who escapes) when she originally showed up, and then for this final fight set her against Gigantomachia solo. Lets you neatly show "Yeah Stars and Stripes is super loving strong" and also answers "why isn't she just solving this whole thing then" and also sidesteps "yeah i had to make this character and then burn her because I wrote the big bad as being a bit too strong"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Star and Stripe dying against Shigaraki would have worked better if she had been introduced at all before that fight. If she had any interactions with All Might or Deku or anyone else then her death might have felt more tragic instead of a waste of time

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Stars and Stripes feels very much like a case of Horikoshi having an idea for the character and sketching up some stuff for her to do at some point in the past, but then he shifted into "speedrun to the end" mode and ended up hitting every bullet point he had planned for her plot arc at maximum velocity so she's introduced, fights, and dies before anyone has any time to meet her or care about her.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXa-P2_g7M4

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Other than the obvious, Bakugou also can't stay dead because otherwise Narrator!Deku wouldn't have known the "blowing up your own blood" thing was because of the Cluster Bomb technique, not a separate suicide technique.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Staltran posted:

Other than the obvious, Bakugou also can't stay dead because otherwise Narrator!Deku wouldn't have known the "blowing up your own blood" thing was because of the Cluster Bomb technique, not a separate suicide technique.

counterpoint: if all of narrator deku's "and that's how we all became the greatest heroes" statements have a secret asterisk that reads "*except for bakugo, who died", that comedy is worth any amount of minor inconsistency.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Valentin posted:

counterpoint: if all of narrator deku's "and that's how we all became the greatest heroes" statements have a secret asterisk that reads "*except for bakugo, who died", that comedy is worth any amount of minor inconsistency.

Lmao

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Hori what happened, are you okay

but haha eat poo poo bakugo

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Bakugo told Deku to kill himself in chapter 1, and now he killed himself!

It, uh, rhymes!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This fight should end with Comicman summoning Graphic Novel, Light Novel, Children's Cartoon, Live-Action Movie, Video Game, and Fanart All Mights to come kick Shigaraki's rear end.

Or just breaking the laws of physics in some other way that'd be fun for his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

It just loving figures. I remember thinking a few weeks ago that a favorite of mine was going to go, and I'll be honest, I did NOT think it was going to be him. I figured Aizawa would go.

I got spoiled on this on Tuesday and my entire house reads this manga so I've had to keep quiet the entire god drat week. I won't read the speed scans because I need the translation to be accurate so I know exactly what's meant to have happened.

Sunday cannot come soon enough. It's been a nightmare.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 6, 2022