Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

It sounded like he did a blanket privllage on either the whole contents or general files wihtout certain specifics that are required to file the claim.

https://www.scribd.com/document/585543969/Final-Emergency-Mtn-for-Enforcement-of-P-O There was this. There were medical records of sandy hook parents among all of that, so everything is therefore confidential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tree Dude posted:

Same judge for Pozner case

ah, the one with the mysterious 160 page dossier on the plaintiff that apparently magically appeared on infowars' shelves one day without anybody's knowledge

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MrMojok posted:

I haven’t been keeping up. Did we ever figure out what actually will happen with the cap?

This &45 million isn’t really going to be reduced to $750,000 is it?

So step 1 is yes, step 2 is her plaintiff's attorney intends to argue "nuh-uh" and that the cap is unconstitutional, including before the supreme courts of Texas and the US, step 3 is that it probably won't work but should keep alex sweating slightly more than usual for a while.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ilmucche posted:

did the judge really just say they did really well??

They managed to somehow navigate it to a verdict without a mistrial or the courtroom becoming a circus full of infowarriors and media. I'd say that's cause for a GG

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

KitConstantine posted:

Professionalism. She says anything else on the record and it could get brought up during appeal.

The contemptuous little laugh tells the real story and everyone in that room knows it

oh right, i thought this was in the off the record part

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MrMojok posted:

I haven’t been keeping up. Did we ever figure out what actually will happen with the cap?

This $45 million isn’t really going to be reduced to $750,000 is it?

Sandy Hook lawyer is going to appeal it, but that's picking a fight with Texas legislature (which gleefully passed the cap in the first place) and ultimately the US Supreme Court if he appeals long enough (which... you know).

Hopefully it'll draw some attention but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ilmucche posted:

did the judge really just say they did really well??

If you watch, she's specifically looking at one side of the room when she says that.

She does not make eye contact with anyone on the other side.

Make of that what you will.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Does this mean that there will not be additional sanctions?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

There will be, the motions will be heard at a separate hearing before the same judge - they haven't been filed yet because they couldn't be filed until this trial was over

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Piell posted:

Reynal (Alex's laywer) claimed that he didn't know about the accidental disclosure of documents until Alex was on the stand a couple days ago. Judge said "that's not true, you gave me the email that shows they told you 14 days ago"

Oh. LM and I can't stress this enough AO

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One thing I hadn't thought of re: the punitive cap, and I don't know the answer for certain. The penalties are assigned per defendant, but it doesn't really make clear if the cap is per case or per defendant. If each individual plaintiff gets the cap from each defendant, that's an extra $1.5m per.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

No, Banktson mentioned three specific issues that he would moving for sanctions on.

https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1555674279861227524

Those two and a third one where it was determined that Alex Jones and Free Speech Systems were determined to be basically the same thing and Reynal said stuff about how they were different.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

MrMojok posted:

They're going to be arguing about that for months if not years

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And this cap thing is basically the result of Greg Abbott pulling up the ladder after he got his big payday?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MrMojok posted:

The only question with the cap is if it applies per defendant/per plaintiff or per case. it will be reduced, though. bankston wants to fight the state on the cap, but he probably won't win.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MrMojok posted:

And this cap thing is basically the result of Greg Abbott pulling up the ladder after he got his big payday?

Although his $9m in 84 was the result of a settlement, it would not have been that large but for the threat of punitive damages.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So how does the purgery work? Can he be fined $50m just for lying to the court a few times a minute for days at a time?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MrMojok posted:

There are many states with punitive damage award caps.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There are many states with punitive damage award caps.

Greg Abbott still sucks though

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

TaurusTorus posted:

Greg Abbott sucks

Really don’t need any qualifiers on it. He’s a horrible human being

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

If Texas found Jones liable for 45 million (even if he is only going to end up paying 6 mil), imo it’s good sign that he will get hosed hard in ct.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

If Texas found Jones liable for 45 million (even if he is only going to end up paying 6 mil), imo it’s good sign that he will get hosed hard in ct.

True. I assume the lawyers in CT will be getting a copy of that phone backup as well.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

MrMojok posted:

True. I assume the lawyers in CT will be getting a copy of that phone backup as well.

Oh absolutely.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://www.texmed.org/TexasMedicineDetail.aspx?id=58464

Interestingly, it appears the SH parents have an extremely valid constitutional claim. Specifically, a jury under their 7th amendment rights has awarded them 45 million dollars. Abbott's stupid bullshit shouldnt really stand

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What is the justification for a cap? Seems kind of arbitrary for it to be a universal number.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I missed the verdict but saw they award 45 million, has the sanctions stuff went through yet?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rinkles posted:

What is the justification for a cap? Seems kind of arbitrary for it to be a universal number.

because a reactionary legislature felt like it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I missed the verdict but saw they award 45 million, has the sanctions stuff went through yet?

Bankston proposed a couple sanctions and it'll be handled in a followup that couldn't start until this case concluded

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is there a punitive damages cap in CT?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rinkles posted:

The justification for tort reform is essentially “health/auto insurance is so high because of mcdonalds coffee judgments so by limiting the occurrence of those we can reduce healthcare and auto costs.”

However it doesn’t actually do that because large judgments aren’t the cause of high prices in those markets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Is there a punitive damages cap in CT?

Yes. They’re going to push harder for non-punitive damages in other cases would be my guess.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whats the cap in CT?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Don't forget the moral hazard of lazy people being rewarded just because of the deliberate conduct of the capitalist class.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
A cursory google research tells me that punitive damages in CT are limited to lawyers fees.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’d like to get a temperature check to delay finishing this awful drink I made.

There’s another trial (Pozner/de la Rosa, Noah Pozner’s parents vs Alex Jones, same judge). I’m down to keep the thread open during the downtime, or would you all want me to close it until then? I’ll reopen it when the trial starts, regardless if it’s being streamed, regardless if it’s different lawyers.

Either or, I just want to know how y’all feel

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

teen witch posted:

There’s another trial (Pozner/de la Rosa, Noah Pozner’s parents vs Alex Jones, same judge). I’m down to keep the thread open during the downtime, or would you all want me to close it until then? I’ll reopen it when the trial starts, regardless if it’s being streamed, regardless if it’s different lawyers.

Might be good to keep it open so we can laugh at Alex's impending public response.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

teen witch posted:

I think the thread should stay open at least until we find out what all was on Alex's hard drive

Also this could be the general Alex Jones is a idiot thread

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sanctions hearings are immediately impending so at least keep it open till then. Personally I think it's also useful folding in Ongoing Onedrive Shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Don't worry guys Alex will cover the cost from his "A Scanner Darkly" royalties.