Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's Battin time would absolutely own as a meme for Laszlo from What We Do In The Shadows

Actually he only uses that for when he's flying home, when he turns into a bat to leave it's BattOUT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jimbot posted:

A Superman film that focuses his time at the daily planet would be neato. Him bringing up the lack of coverage on the downtrodden and marginalized of society in BvS was great stuff.

It may have been on this forum, but someone had the idea of the CIA trying to assassinate Clark Kent, not because they know he’s Superman but because he’s close to blowing the lid off one of their many ongoing crimes against humanity.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

live with fruit posted:

Iron Man was very fresh. Most superheroes up to that point were brooding and sad and then RDJ came in and RDJ'd it up. And part of that probably is Tony Stark being a new character. It's hard to imagine someone coming up with a fresh take on Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne at this point. And then the ending where he outs himself was also a pretty big twist. "Copying the MCU" is ironic because what made the MCU popular was that it did something new.

Iron Man was loving great and i think it largely benefited from centering itself around a (at the time) C list hero in a film that had next to zero expectations so Favreau could largely do what he wanted and had a bit of blank slate along with some terrific actors on board driving it. I liked Incredible Hulk and The First Avenger well enough also.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm not saying it's actually a smart idea to try to replicate the MCU, it's just that they seem intent on doing it. And they are not gonna do it the right way.

I mean, yeah, it's brought up a lot but that's mainly because it's true. They tried to hard to copy Marvel's template when they really didn't have to and then rushed everything with BvS, JL in an apparent attempt to catch up and the whole god damned thing became a mess. I think that by and large the best DC films were the ones that didn't worry too much about crossing over and building a universe. MoS, Shazam, WW1, Aquaman. Even Joker and The Batman I liked. Watchmen was OK. DC has done some good poo poo.

Plus, what Marvel did was never guaranteed to WORK and, in the beginning, the universe building was largely relegated to stinger and post credit scenes. Once the movies caught on, the momentum kind of built on itself

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I always like to think of what it must have been like working at the daily planet as a journalist, watching Kent, sneak away from his desk or finding closets with his just his outerwear stuffed in a box

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mat Cauthon posted:

Convince McQuarrie do his Green Lantern movie with Cruise,

We did it, we found the premise for Top Gun 3

edit: I would accept Hal if TC played him

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the problem with the green latern is that the character and his power is fundamentally stupid. there's basically no way to make it without a ton of lovely cartoon cgi that sucks rear end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, yeah, it's brought up a lot but that's mainly because it's true. They tried to hard to copy Marvel's template when they really didn't have to and then rushed everything with BvS, JL in an apparent attempt to catch up and the whole god damned thing became a mess. I think that by and large the best DC films were the ones that didn't worry too much about crossing over and building a universe. MoS, Shazam, WW1, Aquaman. Even Joker and The Batman I liked. Watchmen was OK. DC has done some good poo poo.
I actually don't think they fully understand what the MCU is to be honest. The idea that the MCU films are this one interconnected grand story is entirely untrue, and despite being introduced six years before his earnest debut in Infinity War, Thanos doesn't really get characterization. The MCU is mostly standalone stories that inform one another

And when you look at what Snyder was doing was actually making this big grand biblical story with a real beginning and end and thematic consistency. They were asking him to do in earnest what is essentially just marketing for Marvel.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Timeless Appeal posted:

And when you look at what Snyder was doing was actually making this big grand biblical story with a real beginning and end and thematic consistency. They were asking him to do in earnest what is essentially just marketing for Marvel.

its such a bummer we wont get to see snyder and a pretty great cast (millers issues aside) finish what he started. i need to see cavills superman meet darkseid, man!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ammanas posted:

its such a bummer we wont get to see snyder and a pretty great cast (millers issues aside) finish what he started. i need to see cavills superman meet darkseid, man!

Agree but ultimately I’m just glad the Snyder cut came out.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ammanas posted:

the problem with the green lantern is that the character and his power is fundamentally stupid. there's basically no way to make it without a ton of lovely cartoon cgi that sucks rear end.

In live action, yeah.

Something like Spider-Verse that embraced a really impressionistic or surreal art style could be amazing. I could see an animated GL story doing some visually wild stuff that really takes advantage of what the rings are about, limited only by the imagination of the wearer.

But another live action cape movie with green CG blobs everywhere would just be the Reynolds movie again. Not interested.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ammanas posted:

the problem with the green latern is that the character and his power is fundamentally stupid. there's basically no way to make it without a ton of lovely cartoon cgi that sucks rear end.

They should do one about the previous GL before Hal that was some cocky Warlord dude and since lots of stuff was made out of wood at the time the GL Corp or whatever programmed it to be able to do anything except effect wood.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love my 4 hour indulgent Snyder Cut but I also would love to see what a ~3 hour theatrical cut of that would look like. You watch that four hour epic and it feels like almost every scene fits. You really don't feel its length, even with the longer sequences that are there for artistic flair.

But yeah, I never expect Snyder to come back. If he does, he'll probably be a producer or some sort of consultant. As for the actors, I'd love for them to come back. Erza not withstanding. Wonder Woman is the only role that I can stand Gal Gadot so kudos to the directors for making it work. (WW84 not withstanding)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The idea that WB/DC was trying to copy the MCU formula is simply not true. It is quite the opposite. Snyder specifically told them that wasnt doable and gave them a plan on how to execute a franchised superhero saga without needing that structure. He and Terio have spoken about this on the record. It wasnt about catching up by speeding down the same road wrecklessly, it was about taking a different more efficient path to a similar conclusion. They certainly marketed it all similarly by having a big slate announcement but it looks comically lean compared to the MCU and the zigs and zags DC has had to make ever since BvS.

Everything went wrong when the financiers and WB executives expected and automatic 1bil from BvS and panicked when it didnt happen, pretty much every bad desicion they made came after this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It all started back when they cut that 30 minutes from BvS to fit more showings in the day.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The past decade of DC films could roughly be summed up as: WB makes series of bad choices 2012-14 in reaction to Marvel Studios’ success, responds to the results of said bad choices by overcorrecting, responds to the results of the bad choices that came out of the overcorrection to the original bad choices by overcorrecting… and so on.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually he only uses that for when he's flying home, when he turns into a bat to leave it's BattOUT!

lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ammanas posted:

Tom cruise playing one of the three white guys (who cares which one) loses his ring and has to spend the whole movie doing crazy death defying stunts around the world to get it back

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

The past decade of DC films could roughly be summed up as: WB makes series of bad choices 2012-14 in reaction to Marvel Studios’ success, responds to the results of said bad choices by overcorrecting, responds to the results of the bad choices that came out of the overcorrection to the original bad choices by overcorrecting… and so on.
I feel like it's not just the MCU though, it's also the long shadow of The Dark Knight. It's really important to remember that back in 2008, The Dark Knight was the big movie while Iron Man was a fun and pretty successful movie with fun hints that we'd eventually get an Avengers movie.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ammanas posted:

Just do one of the arcs where the enemy neutralizes the ring or absorbs light energy or whatever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Ms. Marvel basically has Green Lantern powers in the show and it looked fine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it was said elsewhere that the whole reason the MCU succeeded in the long run is because Marvel Studios actually held their nerve and didn't panic and throw their toys out the pram when Captain America and Thor weren't perfect replicas but moreso of Iron Man's success and impact. They had a plan, one that was already loose enough to adapt to reception without having to throw everything out and start over, and actually stuck to it.

WB had a plan, or rather Snyder gave them a plan for basically Superhero Lord of the Rings, then wouldn't stop loving around with their movies, having massively unrealistic expectations and wildly overreacting to online weirdos.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it was said elsewhere that the whole reason the MCU succeeded in the long run is because Marvel Studios actually held their nerve and didn't panic and throw their toys out the pram when Captain America and Thor weren't perfect replicas but moreso of Iron Man's success and impact. They had a plan, one that was already loose enough to adapt to reception without having to throw everything out and start over, and actually stuck to it.

WB had a plan, or rather Snyder gave them a plan for basically Superhero Lord of the Rings, then wouldn't stop loving around with their movies, having massively unrealistic expectations and wildly overreacting to online weirdos.

As the above poster mentioned, Ms Marvel has Green Lantern powers now. This was a change they made in the comics more or less over a year ago (if I recall correctly.) Clearly an editorial mandated change because that's how they wanted to do the character for the TV show. They were very much planning on it.

I saw a ton of bitching on Twitter about the change to her powers in the TV show in the weeks leading up to the show. All of that absolutely forgotten by the time the show was running. Then a couple days of complaining that she's now the first mutant rather than an Inhuman, like the comics.

Now in the wake of the WBD call, I'm seeing unironic praise for Kevin Fegie, who oh so loves and respects these characters.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

As the above poster mentioned, Ms Marvel has Green Lantern powers now. This was a change they made in the comics more or less over a year ago (if I recall correctly.) Clearly an editorial mandated change because that's how they wanted to do the character for the TV show. They were very much planning on it.

I saw a ton of bitching on Twitter about the change to her powers in the TV show in the weeks leading up to the show. All of that absolutely forgotten by the time the show was running. Then a couple days of complaining that she's now the first mutant rather than an Inhuman, like the comics.

Now in the wake of the WBD call, I'm seeing unironic praise for Kevin Fegie, who oh so loves and respects these characters.

One of the biggest things going for Ms. Marvel was Iman Vellani. I don't think Disney/Marvel could have gotten a better person to play her if they'd grow her in some kind of cloning vat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have stayed the course. If they just left Justice League alone in the first place it would have come out and probably been like 2 and a half hours, reasonable, with less of the more cringey stuff. It sounds like Suicide Squad would have been better based on what the people who were in it said. JL would have come out in 2016, JL2 in either 2017 or 2018,(I might be off by a year on both of those I don't remember when it actually came out) then everything would have been established and they could do whatever they wanted from there, and Snyder would have naturally moved onto something else.

All the most well received by audience/critics movies they put out had nothing to do with any of the drama one way or another and could either fit or not fit in the "continuity" they were mostly standalone with minor references to previous events.

At its best a cinematic shared universe is a setting, not a map. At its best Marvel gets that, at it's most overindulgent and annoying Marvel is nonstop self referential. DCs best stuff was also just sharing a setting, and worst trying to imitate the worst marvel tendencies.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ms. marvels show powers were hokey as poo poo. Everyone keeps saying how bad stretchy powers look but that garbage was worse as far as I’m concerned.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's half past bat o'clock and my alarm just went off, punk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Invalid Validation posted:

Ms. marvels show powers were hokey as poo poo. Everyone keeps saying how bad stretchy powers look but that garbage was worse as far as I’m concerned.

I liked the using the force fields for platforming, like Mario's cloud power up. And basically loved how difficult it was to ever catch something successfully.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not sure where you're getting that from because she's still a stretcher in the comics AFAIK. Hell, a preview just dropped for an issue coming out next week where she's stretching her fingers Mr. Fantastic style to grab something out of a tree.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really? I could have sworn I heard that she was given GL like hard light powers around a year ago. (Was it a What If comic?) Well, in that case, that reinforces my point. Feige doesn't give a poo poo about the comics or their accuracy. Marvel Studios will ride that hype machine when they're giving the fans what they want, and in the times where they get fan backlash for changes, they ride it out, because fans are fickle and will forget after a week because the next big thing is right around the corner.

Their strength has been staying the course. If there was a definitive moment where it was clear they won the superhero movie war, it was when WB chickened out after BvS's mixed reception. (Despite it making it's budget back on merchandising prior to release and $800 million box office.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean there's a reason that crazy demanding delusional Snyder Cult has been basically just asking WB to get out of their own way and stick with the plan they already had.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Invalid Validation posted:

It was not that bad, and in the after credits scene, you could see how they're going to change the effects for the movie. Finally watching it after hearing all the hubbub and she even stretches and poo poo like that so it was just like why are people mad?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the thing about the Green Lantern powers is you have to think about the texture of it. That's what makes the Ms. Marvel powers look good to me, they have their own internal logic and visual consistency no matter what construct she's making. I think even the short bit we see in Justice League looks pretty okay because it has this whispy aura to it and this brighter core in the center. The 2011 Green Lantern movie often just depicts Lantern constructs as literal items but just green and vaguely glowing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the thing about the Green Lantern powers is you have to think about the texture of it. That's what makes the Ms. Marvel powers look good to me, they have their own internal logic and visual consistency no matter what construct she's making. I think even the short bit we see in Justice League looks pretty okay because it has this whispy aura to it and this brighter core in the center. The 2011 Green Lantern movie often just depicts Lantern constructs as literal items but just green and vaguely glowing.

:agreed:

Also, I think it helps if you keep things simple. Yalan Gur in ZSJL looks great in ZSJL because the costume and the power are limited and sharply defined. You can still have cool effects like the symbol projecting from the chest, but you don't need to have some weird muscle-textured outfit like the Ryan Reynolds one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lord of the Rings. Biblical.

Seeing a lot of ways to describe comic books that aren't particularly comic book-y

What's cool about the DC comic universe is how immense it is. How it combines almost every type genre, from monkey detective nonsense, to serial killer poo poo, and in some of my favorite *coughManhuntercough* everything in between. It's an absurd place in a world unrecognizable from our own, with an immense sense of history and a wry sense of humor bc you never know if Captain Cold is going to freeze your rear end during your lunch break.

Feels like CW's Legends sometimes approached that, and that's where the animated JL lived. It would be cool if the movies were the same instead of so....self serious

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Seeing a lot of ways to describe comic books that aren't particularly comic book-y

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shageletic posted:

It's not some radically new or edgy hot take that comic books could be considered modern mythology.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Comic booky" could literally describe anything from Zany Silver-Aged Superdickery to Crossed. For a while people were trying to use "graphic novel" to separate the comic books that actually had pretentions about being something beyond mindless entertainment, but as far as I know that's totally died and they're just a media, not a message.

As far as comic-book superheroes goes Richard Donner's Superman and Lexi Alexander's Punisher are both accurate reflections of some of their source material and couldn't be more different.

"The comic book tone" is a pointless argument.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Shageletic posted:

It would be cool if the movies were the same instead of so....self serious

The word you're looking for is earnest. Particularly Man of steel Batman v. Superman Wonder woman and ZSJL, earnestly presenting this world with no cutting down on the actual comic bookness. Don't forget the version you're asking for already exist in the whedon version of Justice League.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
World actually like it if comic book movies seemed less like CW shows. But that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol the famous comic books The Lord of the Rings

teagone posted:

It's not some radically new or edgy hot take that comic books could be considered modern mythology.

It's just one I don't find particularly interesting. It just makes it seem like you're trying to import significance to a type of media that is already pretty cool and interesting. Comic books are insane and weird and fantastic. And I don't see enough of that with these movies.