Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

ArbitraryC posted:

Where I live is going through a spike that’s as bad as it’s ever been but I’m the only person I know, even among people who were pretty gung-ho about it at the start, who still wears a mask, doesn’t go to restaurants/theaters/etc.

I'm in so Cal and NO ONE wears a decent 95 even

I'm astounded

Just talking about the paper white looking type with straps on back of head instead of ears

???
My brother moved in, hes dying of cancer, in chemo right now, so thanks motherfuckers

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
my cousin, a house painter who wears an n95 or respirator all day long: "I CAN'T BREATH IN THIS MASK"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

Probably the weirdest thing was anyone taking it seriously. There was some coordinated responses, lockdowns, mask requirements and such, but covid stayed and they went away.

Even the goons itt making fun of people who were chuds from the get go probably gave up on masking or not going to restaurants or changing their shopping habits long ago despite there not being really an appreciable change in case rate.

Where I live is going through a spike that’s as bad as it’s ever been but I’m the only person I know, even among people who were pretty gung-ho about it at the start, who still wears a mask, doesn’t go to restaurants/theaters/etc.

where were people ever taking it seriously, seemed like that poo poo was fully done by September/October 2020. unless you're counting people making a huge deal out of the cloth mask they wore underneath their nose and took off to eat in restaurants, like a magical charm against the sickness demons

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
im a friendless shut-in with an 'essential' job so covid really did not affect me in the slightest!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

dsf posted:

im a friendless shut-in with an 'essential' job so covid really did not affect me in the slightest!

Hello super lurker

Hope you got a raise at least!!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

hotdog feet posted:

my cousin, a house painter who wears an n95 or respirator all day long: "I CAN'T BREATH IN THIS MASK"

Have u seen him work tho? I know a lot of dumb motherfuckers who'd rather inhale dust or fumes than wear ppe

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

Probably the weirdest thing was anyone taking it seriously. There was some coordinated responses, lockdowns, mask requirements and such, but covid stayed and they went away.

Even the goons itt making fun of people who were chuds from the get go probably gave up on masking or not going to restaurants or changing their shopping habits long ago despite there not being really an appreciable change in case rate.

After the Omicron spike was over there was a huge reduction in infections and deaths, and even though the numbers have gone back up it feels like it’s gotten very little press.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sucrose posted:

After the Omicron spike was over there was a huge reduction in infections and deaths, and even though the numbers have gone back up it feels like it’s gotten very little press.
I mean here's WA where I live (and it's worse in my local county)

There was a lot of laughing about chuddy people being incapable of wearing masks or wanting to go to applebees back in spring/summer 2020 but it's literally been worse for nearly the whole time since then and basically all the people who poked fun at the chuds have themselves given up. Congratulations you're all doing the same thing. There has never been a point since this fiasco started where going back to normal was any more reasonable or logical than it was back then, holding out for a few months longer than someone with a trump sign in their yard isn't really that impressive.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 6, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i still wear an n95/kn95 to any public indoor area i visit and don't eat indoors at restaurants and i can't really see that changing until there's a better vaccine :shrug:

maybe next time i get a booster i'll use those few months of stronger protection to visit some of the restaurants i miss that don't have good takeout/outdoor options

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

i still wear an n95/kn95 to any public indoor area i visit and don't eat indoors at restaurants and i can't really see that changing until there's a better vaccine :shrug:

maybe next time i get a booster i'll use those few months of stronger protection to visit some of the restaurants i miss that don't have good takeout/outdoor options

:respek:

fwiw when I said "you" in that post I just meant "most people, including goons". My wife and I are holdouts and I'm sure there are others but I just find a bit of dark humor in the hypocrisy of the situation because at no point since covid started has doing these things become any more reasonable than it was when people were vocally judgy about it. It turns out that mostly everyone is exactly as dumb as the people they were making fun of when this began.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
most of the pro lockdown 'responsibility' sentiment was just chronically online asocial losers finally having a moral pedestal to stand on while they talk about how much they hate everyone else and how stupid everyone is for not thinking the same way they do.

A lot of it was probably left leaning people also who seized the moment to make it a whole political statement because trump is soooo dumb lol and identity for themselves, again, just masturbating at the idea of being toxic online to others and feeling morally justified in doing so. But that's not mutually exclusive with chronically online asocial losers.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 6, 2022

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

ArbitraryC posted:

It doesnt kill 2-4 thousand people in the US every day anymore. Its not really like people suddenly stopped caring. How many people do you know who got it and havent died?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is this the part where we change the topic to "argue about covid again"?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've never had a covid vaccine

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Remember when Lana Del Rey showed up for a public event wearing a mesh mask.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

some weird opinions coming out, but anyway i don't wear a mask out of any particular sense of moral duty and don't care what others do or don't do at this point. i wear it because it's a simple, painless, and cheap way of protecting myself from a highly contagious respiratory virus that's circulating in public like we're in peak flu season all year round, except more dangerous, we don't seem to develop long lasting immunity from it, and it carries a significant risk of long term side effects. if that doesn't bother you and nobody you care about is vulnerable, then go nuts.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

some weird opinions coming out, but anyway i don't wear a mask out of any particular sense of moral duty and don't care what others do or don't do at this point. i wear it because it's a simple, painless, and cheap way of protecting myself from a highly contagious respiratory virus that's circulating in public like we're in peak flu season all year round, except more dangerous, we don't seem to develop long lasting immunity from it, and it carries a significant risk of long term side effects. if that doesn't bother you and nobody you care about is vulnerable, then go nuts.

did you ever worry about whether the staff at restaurants had their hepatitis shots before 2020?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I distinctly remember somebody made a thread in GBS that said "I cant breathe and no one will help me"

They had a bird avatar, I think. Never saw them again.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I didn't leave the house without my full face respirator, ear plugs, butt plug and sounding rod until about May 2022 in an attempt to keep covid out of all my holes. I still wear the buttplug daily, though.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Methanar posted:

did you ever worry about whether the staff at restaurants had their hepatitis shots before 2020?

lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Should have been more worried about those tips

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I don't know how to interpret this. let me rephrase

did you give a poo poo at all about any of this before 2020? dont answer for me. answer for yourself so you don't feel the need to lie

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

ArbitraryC posted:

:respek:

fwiw when I said "you" in that post I just meant "most people, including goons". My wife and I are holdouts and I'm sure there are others but I just find a bit of dark humor in the hypocrisy of the situation because at no point since covid started has doing these things become any more reasonable than it was when people were vocally judgy about it. It turns out that mostly everyone is exactly as dumb as the people they were making fun of when this began.

There's a fine line between getting the vaccine and not getting the vaccine.

I could really care less about your mask use at this point if you're vaccinated. Vaccination is the most important thing required to save lives, if you did that, we're square, considering the massive portion of the country that didn't.

Comparing people who simply don't wear masks anymore or want to go to a restaurant after they've been vaccinated and boosted to someone who denied the vaccine existed, killed their grandma and their wife, and uses the phrase "Fauci ouchie" is a wild take.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

did you give a poo poo at all about any of this before 2020? dont answer for me. answer for yourself so you don't feel the need to lie

Yes, the pandemic definitely shone a harsh light on how much we took infectious disease for granted. We stripped out virtually all public health mandates by winter 2020 and still cut flu deaths almost to zero, so apparently we could have prevented thousands of deaths per year with the most halfassed effort imaginable but it just never occurred to us to try (and probably never will again.)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
It's pretty wild how I haven't been sick for about three years due to increased hand washing, social isolation and mask use.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Methanar posted:

Hello. I am stupid as gently caress and just like to construct dumb scenarios with no basis in reality as well. Would you like to meet up and possibly just cough into each other's mouths to show the world how infectious disease doesn't exist? Answer for yourself so you don't feel the need to lie.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

most of the pro lockdown 'responsibility' sentiment was just chronically online asocial losers finally having a moral pedestal to stand on while they talk about how much they hate everyone else and how stupid everyone is for not thinking the same way they do.

A lot of it was probably left leaning people also who seized the moment to make it a whole political statement because trump is soooo dumb lol and identity for themselves, again, just masturbating at the idea of being toxic online to others and feeling morally justified in doing so. But that's not mutually exclusive with chronically online asocial losers.

Hey can you post your genocide tier list for all of us to check out?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

of all the things to reach for as a gotcha about risk taking... hepatitis A. like, how about flu? hell, how about driving? you know, things that actually make the top 10 every year as causes of death and disability that you could make lifestyle choices around to reduce personal risk. hepatitis.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jelly posted:

It's pretty wild how I haven't been sick for about three years due to increased hand washing, social isolation and mask use.

i'm in the same boat as you and that's about to change as my kid starts attending school :(

anyone else remember the scientist who put the magnets up his nose? i swear that story ran for like two solid weeks

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

Yes, the pandemic definitely shone a harsh light on how much we took infectious disease for granted. We stripped out virtually all public health mandates by winter 2020 and still cut flu deaths almost to zero, so apparently we could have prevented thousands of deaths per year with the most halfassed effort imaginable but it just never occurred to us to try (and probably never will again.)

This is incidentally the reason I give most strangers when they comment on me still wearing a mask. I used to get a bad flu a couple times a year, hell in 2019 I caught that december hell flu many attribute to being "early covid" or w/e, was incredibly sick for about an entire week, felt okay for the first half of the next week, then incredibly sick again for another few days. Was debilitatingly bad, like too tired to play video games level of sick.

Since covid and the p basic steps taken such as masking I've gotten a p minor cold/flu exactly once, and outside of the oh poo poo did I finally get covid fear it would have been something I wouldn't have even thought about calling in about. I was like yeah I will literally continue to wear masks in grocery stores for the rest of my life if it means I don't have to deal with another mancold.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

You Are A Elf posted:

:same: about getting influenza B in December 2019. I thought I was dying from it, no joke; it was loving BAD. All I remember was shivering violently under five blankets because I was so cold while sweating profusely from a high fever and I couldn’t feel my fingers or toes.

Yeah, I legit thought I was gonna die for a full week and was sick as hell for a week and a half. Worst part was I was on 90 day new hire probation and got sick as a dog 2 days before our 2 week shutdown, and my boss would not give me any leeway at all, considering I had no benefits or leave yet. So I worked on a production floor coughing so much I couldn't breathe, sweating, shaking, feeling like I was going to collapse at any moment for 2 solid days before I could go rest. Thankfully nobody else got sick, and then all of a sudden 3 months later they were taking any loving sneeze as a deathly serious excursion event.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the pre/post covid world is gonna be sorta like the pre/post 9/11 divide for the generation coming up now, which is kinda neat

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

This is incidentally the reason I give most strangers when they comment on me still wearing a mask. I used to get a bad flu a couple times a year, hell in 2019 I caught that december hell flu many attribute to being "early covid" or w/e, was incredibly sick for about an entire week, felt okay for the first half of the next week, then incredibly sick again for another few days. Was debilitatingly bad, like too tired to play video games level of sick.

Since covid and the p basic steps taken such as masking I've gotten a p minor cold/flu exactly once, and outside of the oh poo poo did I finally get covid fear it would have been something I wouldn't have even thought about calling in about. I was like yeah I will literally continue to wear masks in grocery stores for the rest of my life if it means I don't have to deal with another mancold.

:same: I have quite bad asthma and normally would end up with a chest infection followed by an asthma attack every winter, sometimes serious enough to require hospitalisation. The last 2 winters it didn’t happen; I was staying away from people, not going out to shops or restaurants as often as before, masking up every time I’m in an enclosed space for more than a few minutes, sanitising my hands after I’ve touched things like chip-and-pin payment machines and door handles etc.

Granted I’m in a country where mask-wearing isn’t nearly as stigmatised as it weirdly appears to be in America, so I don’t get as many confused looks from people for the fact that I still wear one, but it’s honestly been a boost and a generally nice gesture to see that there are still quite a few people still wearing masks going in and out of shops here.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I didn't get a haircut or my beard trimmed from February 2022 through June 2021 and I legit miss braiding my beard

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

remember when viktor orban was made president for life in hungary? that was fun.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I had pneumonia that nearly killed me a decade ago and now have some sort of super immune system. I haven't been sick in 5 years

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bad Purchase posted:

the pre/post covid world is gonna be sorta like the pre/post 9/11 divide for the generation coming up now, which is kinda neat

what's their yakety-sax-as-the-towers-fall video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that's theirs to create. we can open the door for them, but they must walk through it.