Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Chocolate is really good with the kneeing people in the face action too, but it’s premise is a bit uh problematic

For a moment I thought this was about Chocolate (2000) with Juliette Binoche and was highly confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I always wondered if people found the Tomahawk album that was heavy metal covers of Indigenous American songs by an Italian and some white guys in poor taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1q3bWxB_EU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The trope wherein "you have autism = you have a superpower, but it isn't autism" is demeaning to autistic people, not surprisingly!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sweet geek swag posted:

"I can't be racist, I'm British" is a hell of a take.

There was a great Daily Show skit where John Oliver is taking about British Colonialism and its impacts to today, Jon Steward basically asks if that is racist and Oliver's reply is:

"Hey, Racism implies that I feel hate for these people. I assure you, I just don't care about them."

Which seems spot on for British racism.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

The trope wherein "you have autism = you have a superpower, but it isn't autism" is demeaning to autistic people, not surprisingly!

Yeeeeah. Taking as much of a neutral view on it as I can, I feel like a lot of writers (for movies in particular) kinda fall into a trap of overdesigning and overfocusing; that this autistic character MUST be a big deal and their big deal MUST be directly related to their autism... but not in a way that's actually giving that character credit by highlighting, say, a special skill they developed on their own or something. And they can't ever be high-functioning, because then how would we know they're autistic!?

One of the weirdest instances I've heard of for a movie apparently doing well with an autistic character is, of all things, the 2017 gritty reboot of Power Rangers. Where the blue ranger is autistic, but he's high-functioning and has all his coping mechanisms down pat, so while you know he's autistic (mostly because he says it to explain his actions early on) he mostly reads as an average nerd who still gets to be part of the major team, and the movie never hinges anything on his autism.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Aug 6, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ryonguy posted:

And I think pocket trades should still cost <$10, but timeinflation marches on. $40 is middling for short run hardcovers, and I've dropped close to that much on softback trades I couldn't find used that I really wanted.

At least it's not a textbook.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/aug/02/pearson-plans-to-sell-its-textbooks-as-nfts

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I feel like any NFT based textbooks are immediately going to be just...printed out and passed around.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I feel like any NFT based textbooks are immediately going to be just...printed out and passed around.

Probably will end up cheaper than what they charge for the textbook anyways

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sobatchja Morda posted:

For a moment I thought this was about Chocolate (2000) with Juliette Binoche and was highly confused.

Definitely had the Chocolat mix up too

Was that movie as dull as I remember? Perhaps I was just unrefined but I fell the gently caress asleep

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

bunnyofdoom posted:

Probably will end up cheaper than what they charge for the textbook anyways

College kids need rolling papers

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
So, they're uploading their books to a public database anyone can access for free?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Yeeeeah. Taking as much of a neutral view on it as I can, I feel like a lot of writers (for movies in particular) kinda fall into a trap of overdesigning and overfocusing; that this autistic character MUST be a big deal and their big deal MUST be directly related to their autism... but not in a way that's actually giving that character credit by highlighting, say, a special skill they developed on their own or something. And they can't ever be high-functioning, because then how would we know they're autistic!?

One of the weirdest instances I've heard of for a movie apparently doing well with an autistic character is, of all things, the 2017 gritty reboot of Power Rangers. Where the blue ranger is autistic, but he's high-functioning and has all his coping mechanisms down pat, so while you know he's autistic (mostly because he says it to explain his actions early on) he mostly reads as an average nerd who still gets to be part of the major team, and the movie never hinges anything on his autism.

I take umbrage at that thing being called gritty in any sense.

Honestly I wish 2017 Billy wasn't treated as a comedic character as much as he is, but the whole point of him is that he is the heart and soul of the team. He is deeply empathetic, even if socially awkward and gullible, and is the only one of the team who wants to do the altruistic good of being a hero despite how it will impact him as a person. He's a brave, good hearted, heroic person who happens to be autistic.

He's easily the best of the film, though the human stuff in general is fairly decent. Shame about any of the Power Ranger things.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

student, 2035: "gently caress my Torment Nexus 203 class just had their tokens funged and I lost my textbook!"

That joke doesn't make any sense I guess but neither does non flushable turd textbooks what does that even mean? "Our textbooks will be non fungible!"? It's like that corpo dipshit who wanted to make Tumblr the next PDF.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sweet geek swag posted:

"I can't be racist, I'm British" is a hell of a take.

I know the point of this is to get mad, but I’m pretty sure this is a joke about the British.

How did you misread this so hard

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ryonguy posted:

student, 2035: "gently caress my Torment Nexus 203 class just had their tokens funged and I lost my textbook!"

That joke doesn't make any sense I guess but neither does non flushable turd textbooks what does that even mean? "Our textbooks will be non fungible!"? It's like that corpo dipshit who wanted to make Tumblr the next PDF.

My understanding of how it actually might work is that it's basically the same system as when they ship textbooks with a code to access their online portal. Except instead of just having that code, you now get an nft that you need to verify ownership of to log in. Why do they need a bulky decentralized step in their centralized user authentication? It's because textbook publishers are always desperately trying to find ways to make money off of second hand textbooks. And, the smart contract bundled with the token gives them a cut every time you resell it.

Dont think about who would actually want to buy this when the people who know how to do that probably also know how to download a free pdf from the internet. Just imagine dollar signs and all your questions will be answered.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know the point of this is to get mad, but I’m pretty sure this is a joke about the British.

How did you misread this so hard
The guy saying the joke is the guy being racist which makes the joke dumb and tasteless, so I think the better question is why you have this undying need to be a 2010-era SomethingAwful Contrarian so hard that you miss the obvious context?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Burkion posted:

I take umbrage at that thing being called gritty in any sense.

Honestly I wish 2017 Billy wasn't treated as a comedic character as much as he is, but the whole point of him is that he is the heart and soul of the team. He is deeply empathetic, even if socially awkward and gullible, and is the only one of the team who wants to do the altruistic good of being a hero despite how it will impact him as a person. He's a brave, good hearted, heroic person who happens to be autistic.

He's easily the best of the film, though the human stuff in general is fairly decent. Shame about any of the Power Ranger things.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't recall Billy being the butt of jokes or the "comedy" guy. At the beginning we are expected to laugh when he takes things literally and gets flustered when people ask him stuff like "how come you didn't laugh?" and he responds with "I'm autistic, I do not understand how that was funny". Then again, as a high-functioner myself, I didn't laugh when others in the theatre were laughing because my thoughts were "yep, I resemble that". Incidentally, my friends recommended I see it based off of Billy alone and I did feel that he was a good representation

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aces High posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't recall Billy being the butt of jokes or the "comedy" guy. At the beginning we are expected to laugh when he takes things literally and gets flustered when people ask him stuff like "how come you didn't laugh?" and he responds with "I'm autistic, I do not understand how that was funny". Then again, as a high-functioner myself, I didn't laugh when others in the theatre were laughing because my thoughts were "yep, I resemble that". Incidentally, my friends recommended I see it based off of Billy alone and I did feel that he was a good representation

There's some unfortunate stuff, I feel at least, played at his expense early on. Like the crayons jokes others were making about him and how he's the only one to 'comically' have his Zord going backwards during the big hero shot.

The character himself, as I went on about, is great and I have nothing but praise for that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ryonguy posted:

The guy saying the joke is the guy being racist which makes the joke dumb and tasteless, so I think the better question is why you have this undying need to be a 2010-era SomethingAwful Contrarian so hard that you miss the obvious context?

Yeah, there's a certain class of British argument where they think merely acknowledging the fact that the British were awful gives then liberty to say whatever they want afterwards. So it doesn't matter if it's a joke or not, either way what they are saying is either "I'm British and that makes me above it all," or "I'm British and I laugh about it and that makes me above it all because I'm joking." There is no real difference between these two things, they're both staggeringly racist.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"Super autism power" is what Sia should have named her loving horrible movie Music.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

According to the Predator series (the best series) autism is the next stage in human evolution and will allow us to instantly comprehend alien technologies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also the Predator wants to scoop up all the autism before global warming takes us. That’s why they take spines.

I love ya Shane but no dawg

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wait WHAT? :catstare:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I honestly blanked out The Predator because holy poo poo did it get really loving dumb in a hurry.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
good time to recommend Prey, which rules from start to finish and makes the original even better

rox
Sep 7, 2016

so pee is stored in the balls and autism is stored in the spine

feel like were making some real breakthrus 2day

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also it’s implied that you can only use the predator gear if you’re autistic, as the kid puts it on and is an instant expert, while everyone else just comically gets themselves killed by trying it use it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Predator is a film of such ability that, in a franchise that has run for decades and has included *two* lukewarm crossover VS movies, it is easily the bottom of the barrel no questions asked.

It's kind of astounding. It's not a film that didn't age well- it's a film that was born curdled.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Two decades? Didn't the first Predator come out in the late 80s? I'm pretty sure Predator 2 came out in the early 90s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aces High posted:

Two decades? Didn't the first Predator come out in the late 80s? I'm pretty sure Predator 2 came out in the early 90s

I think you misread what I wrote

I said *for* decades

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is not a popular take. But I kinda liked Aliens vs Predator 1.

It was silly, dumb, and not worth a hundredth of either of the original films it was versus-ing. But as a silly little action/sci fi movie you can do far worse.

I also liked Predators, with Adrien Brody and Danny Trejo.

AvP2 was poo poo. And I have no plans to watch The Predator.

Prey looks fun though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Burkion posted:

The Predator is a film of such ability that, in a franchise that has run for decades and has included *two* lukewarm crossover VS movies, it is easily the bottom of the barrel no questions asked.

It's kind of astounding. It's not a film that didn't age well- it's a film that was born curdled.

I wasn't paying the closest attention to the thread, and it took me the longest time to realise everyone is complaining about The Predator (2018), and not Predator (1987).

That was a little confusing, tell you hwat.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i liked The Predator because it had miller from the expanse

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Predator had a really messy production which definitely didn't help the story along any.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

The Predator had a really messy production which definitely didn't help the story along any.

Yeah, the script felt really stitched together. It felt a bit like at one point it was intended for Munn's character to have a more prominent role with the whole journalism angle, but then at some point Generic McSoldierman was shoved in there as the default lead instead.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

It also originally featured an actual predator

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the script felt really stitched together. It felt a bit like at one point it was intended for Munn's character to have a more prominent role with the whole journalism angle, but then at some point Generic McSoldierman was shoved in there as the default lead instead.
Yeah it's definitely weird when her character suddenly is revealed as a super badass killer without any buildup to that and no one reacting like this is anything out of the ordinary.

It would be like Dana Barrett suddenly acting like Ellen Ripley in the second half of Ghostbusters an no one batting an eye about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They cut out almost all of Munn's introductory scene because

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It also originally featured an actual predator

it involved her being accosted by a dude played by a friend of Shane Black who was a convicted sex offender. Shane Black says he knew his friend had been convicted but also that said friend lied about what the charge actually was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I read the script. It was probably one of the last drafts before they started shooting. The autism stuff was there. Munn’s character’s beats were the same. But what really changed was the ending. It went from the Loonies teaming up with two Predators who work with the military to take down the assassin Predator and his weird hybrid monsters.

In the film it just became a really lame quick version of the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is not a popular take. But I kinda liked Aliens vs Predator 1.

It was silly, dumb, and not worth a hundredth of either of the original films it was versus-ing. But as a silly little action/sci fi movie you can do far worse.

I also liked Predators, with Adrien Brody and Danny Trejo.

AvP2 was poo poo. And I have no plans to watch The Predator.

Prey looks fun though.

Prey is legit.

Predators and AvP1 get too much poo poo but they both suffer from that 00s decade-long problem of being too diet-80s for their own good.

It's like watching someone in the kitchen whipping up a cake and all the ingredients are right there, but then they go to grab the "non-fat" butter and milk and "trans-fat free" eggs and "sugar-free" frosting because they saw a thing on Oprah/Dr. Oz about eating healthier and nothing you say can convince them it's the wrong choice for this product. So it's still a cake, and a pretty drat well-made cake, but the taste is just off enough that you can see why no one bothered with a second slice.

The Predator is just downright embarrassing. I feel bad for just about everyone involved in that pile.

And not to tangent too hard from Predator stuff, but some kid pointed out that "The Good Doctor" is somehow still on TV and running and I'm just like shocked. That show combines two of the worst autism stereotypes-- cognitively feeble and savant syndrome-- in a way that I do think does genuine harm.