Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

See that’s what I originally thought but a bunch of the actual material, expensive furnitures I’ve come across are kind of poo poo.

E: I realized most of those experiences are with relatively new firms, and generally for couches. Maybe different furnitures are better?

No couch is good unless it’s constructed out of solid dimensional lumber and, at minimum, sinuous springs, with a thick layer of high-quality foam on top and decent upholstery; and those are too bulky to ship internationally. Therefore, no internet couch factory builds decent couches, except for custom places where you have talk to or at least email an actual human being and which do their manufacturing in the US, probably north carolina for historical reasons (offer valid in lower 48 only). Flat pack couches can simply not ever be comfortable, because physics. They just can’t be built solid enough to support a human body in a sitting position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The good stuff at IKEA are classics like the pine IVAR shelving and cabinet system, as well as design originals like the LISABO desk and side tables. Some of their higher end collabs like the YPPERLIG dining table they did with Hay are very good value.

I don't like when they make cheap particle board copies of popular hardwood designs. They can look pretty good, but they break very easily.

IKEA mattresses used to be excellent for the price, but that was 20 years ago. I have my doubts these days.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 6, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was just talking about my ikea couch yesterday because it would be nice to get a new slipcover but it’s discontinued and they’re harder to find. But this couch is comfortable, the right size and proportion for the room, it’s got a slipcover so you can wash it if gets dirty, and it’s been going strong for 10 years. I don’t think it’s bad at all. At some point it’s going to break and we’ll have to replace it but until then it’s fine. I find that lot of “good” furniture is huge and overstuffed which isn’t my thing

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
There are third parties that sell custom slip covers for IKEA, even for older models. For example Bemz have a lot of models and choices of fabric.
We’ve used them to keep an old chair going far longer than it should have lasted.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hypnophant posted:

No couch is good unless it’s constructed out of solid dimensional lumber and, at minimum, sinuous springs, with a thick layer of high-quality foam on top and decent upholstery; and those are too bulky to ship internationally.

Why would a couch not be able to ship fully assembled? That's just silly. Obviously, it's more expensive to ship an assembled couch than a flat pack piece of garbage, but places do it just fine. The Luonto I just bought is solid as gently caress.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

Why would a couch not be able to ship fully assembled? That's just silly. Obviously, it's more expensive to ship an assembled couch than a flat pack piece of garbage, but places do it just fine. The Luonto I just bought is solid as gently caress.

Yeah, you can ship a car or a 1,000 hp engine

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

czg posted:

There are third parties that sell custom slip covers for IKEA, even for older models. For example Bemz have a lot of models and choices of fabric.
We’ve used them to keep an old chair going far longer than it should have lasted.

I might have been looking at that exact site last night. We checked out a bunch of alternatives. Actual dead stock ikea is stupidly expensive right now, to the point it’s probably cost effective to buy their new couch that looks the same but it’s slightly bigger. But the 3rd party stuff isn’t too bad.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

i haven’t heard of this brand but i found a spec sheet for one of their models online, and the dimensions say it’s less than 90cm tall, with the backrest only 40cm, and the arms a pitiful 13cm. So that’s how they ship it internationally - it’s a couch for looking at, and they sliced off all the parts that distinguish it from a particularly skinny mattress, and which support the seated human body. That way you can still pack enough into a container to make it economical.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Plenty of manufacturers ship from overseas, but it seems to be mostly low end or very high end product. I've got a nice Natuzzi arm chair and ottoman that was made in Italy, I considered one of their sofas when I was in the market since I love my chair so much but it was way way out of my price range.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Halti sectional I bought was so big that I had to take doors off the hinges so the delivery guys could physically get it in the room it went in. And the head rests are low for form but pivot up and lock in place to give you a full-size back rest.

I assure you that really big and bulky poo poo can be shipped from Europe or Asia relatively cheaply and that's not the main reason most furniture sucks. It's the cost of materials and construction that matters when you're talking about spending several grand on a sofa.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

The Halti sectional I bought was so big that I had to take doors off the hinges so the delivery guys could physically get it in the room it went in. And the head rests are low for form but pivot up and lock in place to give you a full-size back rest.

I assure you that really big and bulky poo poo can be shipped from Europe or Asia relatively cheaply and that's not the main reason most furniture sucks. It's the cost of materials and construction that matters when you're talking about spending several grand on a sofa.

i’m going to level with you: that thing looks wildly uncomfortable. it sounds like you’re happy with it but i’ve never sat on couch with that back angle that was comfortable for longer than about 15 minutes. it looks like it was designed first to ship economically, second to look good in the showroom, and then they did their best to make the horrible design they came up with comfortable with construction and materials but you can’t put lipstick on a pig.

we’re taking past each other a little bit so here’s what i mean about being designed for shipping: the back and sides are completely vertical. the arms, on the models that have them, are less than half the the height of the backs, which are already short, so you can ship two together by flipping one over and stacking them. I bet the packed dimensions also line up nicely with the interior dimensions of a container, but that’s less important. i don’t mean a good couch is bulky because it has certain dimensions, i mean it’s bulky in that it doesn’t pack well; it spills out of its dimensions with things like a sloped back, and armrests that roll over to the outside of the arms; stuff that doesn’t really increase the dimensions but vastly increases the comfort. The human body is difficult to measure and so should be furniture. Your couch, by contrast, is not bulky. It fills up its dimensions exactly and stops there, because it has to for them to get four more couches into the container. it’s cost engineering.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hypnophant posted:

i’m going to level with you: that thing looks wildly uncomfortable. it sounds like you’re happy with it but i’ve never sat on couch with that back angle that was comfortable for longer than about 15 minutes. it looks like it was designed first to ship economically, second to look good in the showroom, and then they did their best to make the horrible design they came up with comfortable with construction and materials but you can’t put lipstick on a pig.

we’re taking past each other a little bit so here’s what i mean about being designed for shipping: the back and sides are completely vertical. the arms, on the models that have them, are less than half the the height of the backs, which are already short, so you can ship two together by flipping one over and stacking them. I bet the packed dimensions also line up nicely with the interior dimensions of a container, but that’s less important. i don’t mean a good couch is bulky because it has certain dimensions, i mean it’s bulky in that it doesn’t pack well; it spills out of its dimensions with things like a sloped back, and armrests that roll over to the outside of the arms; stuff that doesn’t really increase the dimensions but vastly increases the comfort. The human body is difficult to measure and so should be furniture. Your couch, by contrast, is not bulky. It fills up its dimensions exactly and stops there, because it has to for them to get four more couches into the container. it’s cost engineering.

Not every human body is the same, though. A couch that is comfortable for a 6’4 man is not necessarily comfortable for a 5’ woman. People have different conceptions of comfort, also. Look at how mattress firmness is all over the place.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ya but I agree that that particular couch looks uncomfortable as gently caress, both to me (6'1") and my wife (5'4"). It looks cool as heck in their space, but I would not want to lean back on it at all, personally.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure if you're saying it's uncomfortable looking because it has a straight back or because it has a sloped back.

It has a sloped back and the headrest angle is fully adjustable to any angle you want so it can be straight up and down or the same angle as the backrest or whatever. The pictures I posted were with the headrests all down and I never sit on it like that. It also has a neat feature where the depth of the seat is adjustable, which I've never seen before. We tested it extensively at the showroom to make sure it was comfortable before we bought it.

Also, I don't usually actually sit on couches - I lie down on them, and this is a sleeper so I can do that easily.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 6, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

Also, I don't usually actually sit on couches - I lie down on them, and this is a sleeper so I can do that easily.

ok, it makes sense how you could think it’s comfortable now

e: i like to sit upright on a couch, and i think that style of couch is uncomfortable because it doesn’t offer good back support. low back support only is fine in chairs where the back is relatively vertical, and couches with sloped backs are fine if they’re tall enough to support the neck and shoulder blades, but low couches with sloped backs (the increasingly ubiquitous modern style) are bad - for all body types and sizes

when i complained about the straight back i was actually referring to the outer back, the part which would go against the wall. with good couches the slope of the back is close to the slope of the back cushion and you get comfortable support and padding all the way up. with straight back couches you typically get a wedge shaped cushion which is too firm at the top and too soft at the lumbar region, so you can’t really lean back and you can’t really sit upright. it just sucks out loud. I don’t think that gimmicky headrest would fix any of this and it sounds like you don’t either since you say you usually don’t use it that way

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 6, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hypnophant posted:

ok, it makes sense how you could think it’s comfortable now.

I don't know why you're being snarky. It's comfortable to do both. Maybe this will help explain what I mean.

It's very adjustable and both me (6'3") and my partner (5'4") can sit on it easily. If I'm sitting on it, the bottom is pulled out to the deeper setting and the headrest is the same angle as the back.

Reclining on it with the bed pulled out like in the last picture is actually quite nice. The arm rest is very tall.

Anyways, I'm not saying everyone needs to run out and buy this couch. I'm just very happy with it and it looks nice, which was important to me. I really didn't want an overstuffed leather recliner like every other home theater.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 6, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hypnophant posted:

e: i like to sit upright on a couch, and i think that style of couch is uncomfortable because it doesn’t offer good back support. low back support only is fine in chairs where the back is relatively vertical, and couches with sloped backs are fine if they’re tall enough to support the neck and shoulder blades, but low couches with sloped backs (the increasingly ubiquitous modern style) are bad - for all body types and sizes

when i complained about the straight back i was actually referring to the outer back, the part which would go against the wall. with good couches the slope of the back is close to the slope of the back cushion and you get comfortable support and padding all the way up. with straight back couches you typically get a wedge shaped cushion which is too firm at the top and too soft at the lumbar region, so you can’t really lean back and you can’t really sit upright. it just sucks out loud. I don’t think that gimmicky headrest would fix any of this and it sounds like you don’t either since you say you usually don’t use it that way

Okay so that's the miscommunication. I'll address this. The couch doesn't have a wedge shaped cushion to save money. I can reach my hand back there and feel that the frame slopes with the back of the couch. It's very supportive. It just has the straight back for looks (I imagine it was more expensive to do it that way since they had to make a trapezoidal frame).

The headrests are QUITE substantial and when they're up, they go almost to my neck which is very surprising given that I have a ridiculously massive torso and need to buy extra long shirts. They are easily above the top of my shoulders. They are also very sturdy with nice metal hardware so you can lean back on them quite hard. They adjust with a satisfying click. The couch is firm and easily more supportive for me than most car seats, as an example to compare to.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 6, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i edited my post to try to be a bit less snarky but man those photos just illustrate what i mean - you have the gimmick headrest mechanism when you could have just built the couch with a comfortable, functioning backrest in the first place, and in the long run you have less padding and less support. it also sounds like the seat cushion isn’t all that at supportive unless you’re reclining which is another no from me. a good couch is comfortable sitting upright with your feet flat on the floor, a couch that you have to slouch to get comfortable in isn’t a comfortable couch

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dude I'm telling you it's comfortable and you're moving the goalposts with your fingers in your ears telling me I'm wrong. It's comfortable upright, it's comfortable reclining, it's comfortable laying down. I have a traditionally constructed American-made couch in my living room and this is more comfortable than that couch. Quit insisting that you, a person who has never sat on the couch, must know more about whether the couch is comfortable than I, the person sitting in it typing this. It's a comfortable, well built couch.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

:siren: *Putting my IK hat on* Some people like some couches, and some people like other couches. That's okay and this is a weird derail so let's move on. :siren:

I got these antique hand-colored botanical prints back from the framers and I really love they came out:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I love the sage color and those doors.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

Okay so that's the miscommunication. I'll address this. The couch doesn't have a wedge shaped cushion to save money. I can reach my hand back there and feel that the frame slopes with the back of the couch. It's very supportive. It just has the straight back for looks (I imagine it was more expensive to do it that way since they had to make a trapezoidal frame).

The headrests are QUITE substantial and when they're up, they go almost to my neck which is very surprising given that I have a ridiculously massive torso and need to buy extra long shirts. They are easily above the top of my shoulders. They are also very sturdy with nice metal hardware so you can lean back on them quite hard. They adjust with a satisfying click. The couch is firm and easily more supportive for me than most car seats, as an example to compare to.

all this stuff you’re claiming as a positive just sounds to me like a bunch of gimmicky stuff to cover up the fundamental unfitness of the design. i don’t want to adjust all my couch cushions every time i sit down like i adjust a car seat. i want the couch to be in one configuration that is always comfortable, for a wide range of bodies, in a range of seating positions including fully upright.

for the record i also think the overstuffed reclining theater sofas are dogshit, but the classic high-back roll-arm sofa - high enough to sit fully upright and still rest your head on the cushion, which your photo shows you can’t do - has never been improved on and the proliferation of uncomfortably low-back modern sofas from overseas is purely because they’re cheaper to ship than the better design. the “aesthetic” is just marketing to sell you an uncomfortable couch

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

KillHour posted:

I love the sage color and those doors.

It is farrow and ball 'Cooking Apple Green' and it's my favorite green I've about ever found for walls. It's really calming and looks great with alot of different colors.

https://www.farrow-ball.com/en-us/paint-colours/cooking-apple-green

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

thotsky posted:

The good stuff at IKEA are classics like the pine IVAR shelving and cabinet system, as well as design originals like the LISABO desk and side tables. Some of their higher end collabs like the YPPERLIG dining table they did with Hay are very good value.

I don't like when they make cheap particle board copies of popular hardwood designs. They can look pretty good, but they break very easily.

IKEA mattresses used to be excellent for the price, but that was 20 years ago. I have my doubts these days.

I will explore those options!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is farrow and ball 'Cooking Apple Green' and it's my favorite green I've about ever found for walls. It's really calming and looks great with alot of different colors.

https://www.farrow-ball.com/en-us/paint-colours/cooking-apple-green

Farrow and Ball have some of the loveliest colors. Your prints look so good!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

KillHour posted:

Couch finally came in

Can I ask where you bought it from? I'm 6'6" with linebacker shoulders and also like to lay down on couches but usually end up with one shoulder hanging off the edge -- which is a big reason why I originally went with that Bondi couch because it was crazy deep. Or if there's any suggests for well-built super deep couches that fit a Scandi style.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 8, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hypnophant posted:

No couch is good unless it’s constructed out of solid dimensional lumber

Bent plywood is the material of the gods.

(Like Aalto and Kukkapuro)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bent plywood is the material of the gods.

(Like Aalto and Kukkapuro)

best i can do is a poang

e: jesus, that aalto is a $350 three-legged stool

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 8, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

amethystbliss posted:

Farrow and Ball have some of the loveliest colors. Your prints look so good!

This reminds me of a trick some designers I know like to use, they choose colors from the Farrow and Ball book, then have them mixed in Benjamin Moore Regal. It’s easier to apply and much cheaper. The color matches I’ve seen have been great.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cornuto posted:

Can I ask where you bought it from? I'm 6'6" with linebacker shoulders and also like to lay down on couches but usually end up with one shoulder hanging off the edge -- which is a big reason why I originally went with that Bondi couch because it was crazy deep. Or if there's any suggests for well-built super deep couches that fit a Scandi style.

The manufacturer is Luonto. I bought mine at a local place but they seem to be pretty widely available. Their website probably has a way to find authorized resellers so you can go see one at a showroom.

The "make the couch several inches deeper without actually pulling it out all the way to a sleeper" is one of the neatest tricks I've seen for being able to cuddle someone comfortably on a couch.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 8, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hypnophant posted:

best i can do is a poang

e: jesus, that aalto is a $350 three-legged stool

If it was $100, no-one would buy it.

e: This doesn't cost $350:

e: Apparently they never did sofas like that. I wonder why. I have a plywood sofa and it's great, especially during moving because it weighs gently caress-all.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 8, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Snowy posted:

This reminds me of a trick some designers I know like to use, they choose colors from the Farrow and Ball book, then have them mixed in Benjamin Moore Regal. It’s easier to apply and much cheaper. The color matches I’ve seen have been great.
Yea this is what I did, but I’m not sure what exact paint it was. An architect friend was showing me his house where he had used actual farrow and ball paint and it did look great, but without seeing it side by said with an equivalent high-end Ben Moore/Sherwin Williams I dunno how much was the color and how much was the paint itself.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yea this is what I did, but I’m not sure what exact paint it was. An architect friend was showing me his house where he had used actual farrow and ball paint and it did look great, but without seeing it side by said with an equivalent high-end Ben Moore/Sherwin Williams I dunno how much was the color and how much was the paint itself.

Snowy posted:

We've used mostly F&B colors in our house. We did color match for the basement (forget which paint) and it was been hit or miss. On the main levels we compromised with a color match for the first coat and then final coat with the real stuff. Farrow and Ball product had a nicer more mineraly finish when comparing side by side.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Anyone have experience with Article? I'm lusting over their Anton and Matrix lounge/armchair and curious about quality. Being good about buying used furniture, but I want to treat myself to a comfy reading chair I can just curl up in. Don't really have space for a recliner. I’m looking for something that comes in a deep ocean to navy blue. I'm a pretty average sized person so don't need anything too big.

Also we found a used rug in great condition for the living room. I’m getting a yellow arm chair today. Furniture is going to be primary colors :getin:. But our dining chairs and bar seating is wood/brown. Old dining chairs are our stand ins for now.

Edit: looks like Houzz has a whole complaint thread. drat. Anyone point me to a good spot to nab a comfy reading chair? I'm willing to splurge a little.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 8, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The lighting you have is probably a more significant influence than which brand you have mix the color. Color matching is pretty good these days.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Mystery object time!
Does anyone know what these two wooden objects might be?

Each wooden ball has a circular indentation like an extremely shallow tea light, and also a hole big enough to fit the dowel end. They are about 8 inches long and marked Made in Denmark. I think they are decorative objects, which is why I’m posting in this thread, but they could be toys or some kind of tool (sewing tool?).

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

anyone recognize this stool? i rescued it from the curb and want to find a mate (please ignore the pig sty it lives in)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I might be a witch

https://www.modernindesigns.com/jays-plywood-bar-stool-mid-f10052.html

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Incredible! Thank you. did you just happen to know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No, there are a bunch of variations / I don't know the original name. But those were the chairs my high school had and I was driven by hate. I googled "bent plywood stool" or "bent plywood bar stool" and then scrolled through images until I spotted one. Btw, check the height of yours because they make both a bar-height and a counter-height one!