Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Alamani57 posted:

Do you point to the 80's due to China's integration into the Western economic system? If so, that's fair, but I consider that more of a rivalry along the lines of the US/UK in the 19th and early 20th century.

I'm in favor of viewing 2008 as the starting point for WW3. That's when the Western dominated global system seized and entered a crisis it has yet, and may never, emerge from -and- when Putin appears to have given up with cooperation between Russia and the West. Listen to his 2007 speech in Munich for the general idea. A year later we had the Georgian War as well as far more direct threats from Vladimirovich.

I did wind up finding this speech by Lavrov in 2010 which put 2022 in perspective.

https://is.muni.cz/th/xlghl/DP_Fillinger_Speeches.pdf

Twelve years ago.

https://www.unian.info/world/110340-analysis-russia-prepares-for-lengthy-battle-over-ukraine.html

Fifteen years ago.

In conclusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sFJbi7XZt0

how could lavrov have given a speech in 2010 about things that happened in 2014-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

skooma512 posted:

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1554218752140615687

I'm guessing the US didn't care about Afghanistan's sovereignty and just rolled up and did whatever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

hahahahaha

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ayman al zawahiri has been compromised to a permanent end -- dwayne the rock johnson

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The The Rock-MbS Complex

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

from Max Blumenthal's "The Management of Savagery"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

biden bombed al-zwahiri while he was staying at haqqani's house. see if you just get really bad at intelligence and wait 20 years eventually the bastards will wander past something you surveil and its a big win for team gwot

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We should name F-35s like they used to with B-17s. I do this in games that let me name vehicles.

I call them stuff like "Little Susie's Insulin" and "Maria's College Fund"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

We should name F-35s like they used to with B-17s. I do this in games that let me name vehicles.

I call them stuff like "Little Susie's Insulin" and "Maria's College Fund"

They're still like $105 mil a pop though so they should probably be named stuff like "Lead-Free Drinking Water for Flint, MI" and "Ending Homelessness in Fresno, CA"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

skooma512 posted:

"Maria's College Fund"

i digress, functional societies neither require college or have students pay for it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ComradeIshmael/status/1554963722447249410

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

love a good Who Must Go

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

indigi posted:

love a good Who Must Go

how many left alive on the list

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Palladium posted:

how many left alive on the list

Erdogan

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
U.S. military here with a film aimed at military people saying "we have to understand china as well as the soviet union"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JcAvnbRtE

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
"near peer" :hmbol:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

No one can ever be the equal of America

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Thats true in terms of military spending.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

Thats true in terms of military spending.

In nominal dollars

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

U.S. military here with a film aimed at military people saying "we have to understand china as well as the soviet union"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JcAvnbRtE

.....not at all?

Edit: Also did the US military also pivot to video? Lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

.....not at all?

Edit: Also did the US military also pivot to video? Lmao
they've caught up to RTS aesthetics

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jacobin/status/1556173293861933058

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

jackoff bin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

woah jacobin got another visual style update time to pay attention

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

good article.

imagine being the guy in the war room that has to explain the risks of nuclear war to some dipshit general. sounds incredibly frustrating.

also lol:

quote:

I gave a lecture in Germany a couple years ago, and people in the German navy asked me point blank: “We’re eager to send a ship to the South China Sea, would that help?” And I said, “No, it’s kind of crazy for Germany to insert itself in this. It’s going to do more harm than good for sure.” They didn’t like my answer. “We were hoping you’d be rah-rah and think it’s great.”

Europe is a joke

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao, do they want a repeat of the japanese attack on tsingtao concession?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crepeface posted:

Europe is a joke

i think some EU suits are starting to realise how trapped, weak and pointless they've been made by themselves, 'allies' and rivals, and it's coming out in some weird ways. We can't keep the lights on but we're not failed states, we're real countries damnit.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the German fleet is also pretty much a bunch of frigates that would have to be dragged across the world and probably wouldn’t be tremendously useful in a blue water war.

It is more that the USN knows they are well overmatched at this point in the straits.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

crepeface posted:

Europe is a joke
Don't lay what the Germans are doing on everyone else, thank you very much. Germany has spent decades beating military/strategic thinking out of its leadership, to the point where I'm not sure they can even wrap their head around the idea that any country might react badly to anything they do. If Germany thinks it's a good idea then obviously everyone else does too.

The rest of Europe at least knows enough to realize there might be a reaction, even if we suffer from delusions about how easily we can shrug off that reaction.

Ardennes posted:

Also, the German fleet is also pretty much a bunch of frigates that would have to be dragged across the world and probably wouldn’t be tremendously useful in a blue water war.
Yeah, the German navy is sitting between the Greek and the Dutch in size, though how combat ready it is is another question entirely. They'd probably get their asses handed to them by like Chile or Singapore if they had a fight.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
everyone knows the germans true navel power is their dastardly u-boats. those frigates are just a distraction

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ardennes posted:

It is more that the USN knows they are well overmatched at this point in the straits.

most of their frigates are only armed with a cannon and no VLS capability whatsoever. A glorified coast guard.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

most of their frigates are only armed with a cannon and no VLS capability whatsoever. A glorified coast guard.

They also have box launchers for Harpoons but honestly they would probably compare more to Chinese corvettes at this point.

Also the Chinese extended exercises.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't lay what the Germans are doing on everyone else, thank you very much. Germany has spent decades beating military/strategic thinking out of its leadership, to the point where I'm not sure they can even wrap their head around the idea that any country might react badly to anything they do. If Germany thinks it's a good idea then obviously everyone else does too.

The rest of Europe at least knows enough to realize there might be a reaction, even if we suffer from delusions about how easily we can shrug off that reaction.

there's more about europe:

quote:

That little story encapsulates this dynamic, which is really disturbing. NATO already didn’t have the best reputation in China, for various reasons going back years. Though ten to fifteen years ago, NATO had a reasonable working relationship with China, and the European Union had set up some really good defense exchanges and contacts with China. That was very helpful, and I had urged that Europe act as a cushion for the US-China rivalry and be a friend of the court to both sides, tell each to chill out a little. Help China to mitigate its worst nationalist tendencies, but also help the US contain its seemingly endless desire for rivalry.

I thought Europe was playing thar role pretty effectively until 2016 or so. Then things seemed to start to change, and European discourse on China radically moved to the right and became very anti-China to the point, I’d argue, of even surpassing US rhetoric on China. I found this very disturbing. I could give you endless examples of this, but if you read the Economist magazine, it’s become extremely hawkish on China over the years. In the European mind, they more or less associate Russia and China together, as authoritarianism writ large, though the Russian and Chinese regimes are very different, so lumping them together I think is misplaced.

I remember, in 2017, as the Korean crisis was unfolding, a squadron of French ships came across, and Chinese coverage of that was very upset. It was the Europeans who were leading the carving up of China in the nineteenth century, and China fought multiple wars against France and against Britain. So the idea that you’re going to have these European navies sailing around, it triggers this anger.

The other phenomenon here is NATO’s search for missions. God bless the Ukraine war, because this has given a lot of new life to NATO and given NATO bureaucrats something to do, though I think Turkey’s diplomacy and playing footsie with Russia should make people realize the alliance isn’t as together and cohesive as some would hope. On some level, there’s a silver lining to that — Europe should focus on Europe, and take its nose out of Asian affairs. To put it less charitably: What have you been doing? Was this lurch toward Asia why they seem to have been caught unawares in the war with Russia?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the more interesting thing to me is the reactionary internal nationalist push in China over Pelosi’s visit, not dissimilar to the same thing occurring (over other issues) basically in every other country right now.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the more interesting thing to me is the reactionary internal nationalist push in China over Pelosi’s visit, not dissimilar to the same thing occurring (over other issues) basically in every other country right now.

not sure how much pushing is needed, this is a pretty sore point and US action against china geopolitically, economically, and technically have left a nasty taste in the mouths of a lot of Chinese. Hell, I’m not even a a Chinese citizen and I’m feeling nationalistic over this poo poo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

what’s reactionary about it?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

indigi posted:

Nancy Pelosi is the people's vanguard

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
they are reacting to something, therefor it is reactionary

obviously

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’d be pissed if Pelosi visited Quebec tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

nationalist calls to shoot down the Pelosi planes in a pretty big populist push. it’s an attack on Xi’s legitimacy. especially as they can’t act against it because of the nationalism.