Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ibonds question:

What is the end state? Do you sell after maturity? Maybe an obvious question but I've never dealt with bonds outside an index fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What inducement is there currently for employer matching that would go away under the theorized plan?
I'm thinking ease, basically, including the ability to be able to clearly define something as deferred compensation.

To start, who does the employer send the money to, the employee or their IRA? If it’s the employee, then for it to be matching (as opposed to a straight raise, so not deferred) you’d seem to need a way to confirm that an employee IRA contribution actually exists to match. For every contribution, for every employee.

It’s pretty easy to see that income tax withholding and filing would almost certainly become more complicated for the employee. I have no idea about how matching affects employer taxes.

Stuff like that, on top of the fact that I’d guess most employers would prefer to get rid of 401ks and matching if they could and

SamDabbers posted:

If retirement savings was decoupled from employers then they'd have to raise salaries to compete instead.
Yeah, right. Maybe for a very small subsection of workers, and for a short transition time, at best.

I freely admit I haven’t really thought about many details, but the idea is sure looking like a monkey paw to me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Selling I Bonds:
Thstyre locked up for the first 12 months!
Sell after 12 months but before 60 months and receive all but 3 months' worth of interest.
Sell after 60 months and you get all the interest.
Bond fully matures at 30 years.

There is also the matter of whether to pay (federal, not state) tax on the interest each year or defer it until sale. Using I Bonds to pay for education could eliminate all taxes from them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Space Fish posted:

Selling I Bonds:
Thstyre locked up for the first 12 months!
Sell after 12 months but before 60 months and receive all but 3 months' worth of interest.
Sell after 60 months and you get all the interest.
Bond fully matures at 30 years.

There is also the matter of whether to pay (federal, not state) tax on the interest each year or defer it until sale. Using I Bonds to pay for education could eliminate all taxes from them.

Good stuff thank you!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
FYI, I still don't know what the ultimate outcome will be but I bought an I-bond that put me over my 10k limit for the year back in April and it still hasn't been cancelled/refunded yet. I checked today and it's even started earning interest. I imagine this is just indicative of how inefficient their administration is and I will eventually get my refund minus the interest. In retrospect I would have put it into my brokerage in SCHD.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I Bonds endgame seems to just be whenever you can get a HYSA with higher APR than the I Bonds yield. Or maybe a short-ish term CD.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I put $5k into I Bonds this year. I’ll probably put another $5k into it, and then re evaluate early next year to see if I need to bother with more.

Happy to let $10k ride inflation protected though, as an extra emergency fund. That’s kind of where my mentality is with it at the moment.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
This is worth planning ahead of time. Ibonds weren't unattractive even when inflation was low, so I'm not really inclined to get rid of them. I'm thinking I'll go with something like this, but thread input is welcome (HYSA below is a catchall for all cashlike products, including CDs and short term treasuries).

If HYSA rates stay below inflation, keep buying the max per year. This can displace bond purchases in my retirement and taxable portfolios.

If HYSA rates stay above inflation for an entire calendar year, do not buy Ibonds that year.

If HYSA rates exceed inflation for 3 consecutive years, start selling the bonds off, but not more than 10k per year or 20% of holdings, whichever is greater. Maybe 2 years if the difference in rates is compelling enough.

The rationale here is that this is a subsidized product, you can't just switch back into it due to the 10k limit, and even prepandemic this was really competitive compared to other risk free products, so I want to avoid wantonly selling them off due to short term fluctuations in rates.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

since this is bond chat, is anyone laddering treasury bills or CDs to park cash instead of a HYSA? I started looking into them after shopping around for higher HYSA rates and saw some discussion about using them as alternatives since their rates are generally higher at the moment for the 1-3 month treasury bills. I don't have a huge emergency fund so it doesn't really seem worth it to try and manage this (although Fidelity has an auto-roll feature that does it for you) just for a slightly higher interest rate and a return that's state tax free. I could see it being useful if you have $20, 30, 40k you want to park and know you won't touch it for a year plus though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If I buy i bonds at the current rate, does that rate only apply for this period and adjusts for the next 6 month period, or the whole 30 years for that tranche of i bonds?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TraderStav posted:

If I buy i bonds at the current rate, does that rate only apply for this period and adjusts for the next 6 month period, or the whole 30 years for that tranche of i bonds?

It adjusts every 6 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vice President posted:

since this is bond chat, is anyone laddering treasury bills or CDs to park cash instead of a HYSA? I started looking into them after shopping around for higher HYSA rates and saw some discussion about using them as alternatives since their rates are generally higher at the moment for the 1-3 month treasury bills. I don't have a huge emergency fund so it doesn't really seem worth it to try and manage this (although Fidelity has an auto-roll feature that does it for you) just for a slightly higher interest rate and a return that's state tax free. I could see it being useful if you have $20, 30, 40k you want to park and know you won't touch it for a year plus though.

I’m considering CDs since it has a guaranteed interest , which is useful for when HYSA rates go down like we saw during the pandemic.

But I put some of my emergency savings , as mentioned a few posts back, in I Bonds already. Both CDs and I Bonds really function as an emergency fund, so you don’t need to have THAT much of them unless you’re already maxed out on investment options.

more importantly , HYSAs and CDs are def in flux right now, and mostly in a good way of they’re going up, so I would wait to see where they plateau first. Which can be what, 3-6 months?

On that note, Ally savings just went up to 1.6%. Woot.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

TraderStav posted:

Technically there is an underlying fixed rate that is good for the life of the bond, but it is currently 0%. So the adjustable part is all that matters right now, and yeah, that will change 6 months after you buy it and every 6 months after that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

fourwood posted:

Technically there is an underlying fixed rate that is good for the life of the bond, but it is currently 0%. So the adjustable part is all that matters right now, and yeah, that will change 6 months after you buy it and every 6 months after that.

Got it, makes sense. So there's risk that after a few cycles the adjustable drops considerably (theoretically floor is zero) and pays out nothing. But can get out if held for 12 months so not a big deal.

Maybe I'll do it after all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Risk is it will drop to something like a HYSA basically.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What you are buying with I Bonds at 0% real is that the $10,000 of today’s dollars will have the same purchase power (assuming CPI calculations match your personal rate of inflation) in 5-30 years with a bit of tax drag. If you put in the $10,000 every year for 20 years, then start withdrawing, you will have bought a further 20 years of raising the floor of your retirement resources. You are also buying flexibility, since you can sell with minimal penalty and then no penalty.

It’s a long term savings preservation vehicle, not really an investment vehicle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

doingitwrong posted:

What you are buying with I Bonds at 0% real is that the $10,000 of today’s dollars will have the same purchase power (assuming CPI calculations match your personal rate of inflation) in 5-30 years with a bit of tax drag. If you put in the $10,000 every year for 20 years, then start withdrawing, you will have bought a further 20 years of raising the floor of your retirement resources. You are also buying flexibility, since you can sell with minimal penalty and then no penalty.

It’s a long term savings preservation vehicle, not really an investment vehicle.

My guess is that a lot of people buying ibonds are buying them without really internalizing this just because a 10% return is so abnormal, especially as compared to a HYSA.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Taking 10k out of my emergency fund and throwing it into an ibond for 12 months seems like a real no brainer. In an actual emergency I can get a 0% apr card that can carry that balance interest free for 18-21 months. Am I missing anything obvious here?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nachos posted:

Taking 10k out of my emergency fund and throwing it into an ibond for 12 months seems like a real no brainer. In an actual emergency I can get a 0% apr card that can carry that balance interest free for 18-21 months. Am I missing anything obvious here?
If you're talking about actual emergency fund instead of just medium term savings there is a chance that credit will not be so easy to come by and not being able to withdraw it for a year might be a problem. I don't think lenders like issuing tens of thousands in unsecured credit to people without reliable income.

I DO think Ibonds can be a great part of an emergency fund to carry you beyond 1-2 months of emergency, but maybe consider staggering your contributions until you get past that one year mark.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

I DO think Ibonds can be a great part of an emergency fund to carry you beyond 1-2 months of emergency, but maybe consider staggering your contributions until you get past that one year mark.

This 100%. As a portion of an e fund, but you don’t want to bet the whole farm.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

doingitwrong posted:

Lol someone else made this exact same Stupidly smug post a few months ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CopperHound posted:

If you're talking about actual emergency fund instead of just medium term savings there is a chance that credit will not be so easy to come by and not being able to withdraw it for a year might be a problem. I don't think lenders like issuing tens of thousands in unsecured credit to people without reliable income.

Also the treasury direct website sucks balls and you might click the wrong button and get locked out of your account until you call them to clear it up. I bet they make you fax some bullshit because they are stuck in the '80s.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I got locked out a month ago when I tried to link another bank account. I haven't contributed yet this year because :effort:

I swear, security questions are some of the most asinine poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Your stripper name is the street you grew up on, your mother's maiden name, and the last four of your social, everyone post your stripper name.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Riley Reid 6969

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hugh Jass 8008

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Backdoor Roth IRA question

It looks like my MAGI for this year will likely be above the Roth IRA contribution limits. I wasn’t expecting this and was contributing regularly to my Roth IRA and my wife’s Spousal Roth IRA without doing the backdoor. I suppose I should start back-dooring the rest of our contributions, but what about the ones I already deposited this year?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Animal posted:

It looks like my MAGI for this year will likely be above the Roth IRA contribution limits. I wasn’t expecting this and was contributing regularly to my Roth IRA and my wife’s Spousal Roth IRA without doing the backdoor. I suppose I should start back-dooring the rest of our contributions, but what about the ones I already deposited this year?

Not a lawyer or accountant but apparently during the year, people are allowed to recharacterize Roth IRA contributions & earnings into traditional IRA contributions and act as if that's what was done initially. Then convert those traditional IRA dollars back into the Roth.

It might get complicated when deciding how much to recharacterize since the investments and earnings are probably comingled with the other Roth investments. And there's also the additional tax impact on converting the earnings into Roth.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Animal posted:

weird stripper name, but ok

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Super Dan posted:

weird stripper name, but ok

Moon Moon was already taken.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Animal posted:

Any chance you can increase traditional 401k / HSA? Depending on how close you are to the cap, this could put you under.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

DNK posted:

Any chance you can increase traditional 401k / HSA? Depending on how close you are to the cap, this could put you under.

Those are all maxed out. I guess it’s one of those “good problems to have”

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m considering CDs since it has a guaranteed interest , which is useful for when HYSA rates go down like we saw during the pandemic.

But I put some of my emergency savings , as mentioned a few posts back, in I Bonds already. Both CDs and I Bonds really function as an emergency fund, so you don’t need to have THAT much of them unless you’re already maxed out on investment options.

more importantly , HYSAs and CDs are def in flux right now, and mostly in a good way of they’re going up, so I would wait to see where they plateau first. Which can be what, 3-6 months?

On that note, Ally savings just went up to 1.6%. Woot.

I really like Fidelity's CD ladder tool, just enter an amount you want to invest and pick 1,2,3 years and it auto finds the bonds to divide your initial investment into CDs that cash out each quarterly or auto-reinvest into a new one. Playing around with it today a minimum $4000 1-year CD ladder would average 2.75% ladder. It looks nifty (although I could do the exact same thing at Vanguard or anywhere with just some extra clicks) but I still can't get over my hesitation to lock up my emergency fund just to chase 1 to 1.5% more interest.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
HYSA are at 1.5% or so right now so doesn't seem worth the trouble, YMMV.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Vice President posted:

but I still can't get over my hesitation to lock up my emergency fund just to chase 1 to 1.5% more interest.

You shouldn't. They're better used for cash that you need to spend in the next 1-3 years (down payment, etc.).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smashing Link posted:

HYSA are at 1.5% or so right now so doesn't seem worth the trouble, YMMV.

This is correct. I get tempted too, for the record, but it’s always a good reminder that an emergency fund means liquidity is the absolute number one condition, even if it was a 0% interest rate. Getting a better interest rate is always optimal, but you gotta always adhere to liquidity.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
neato, all the money i lost in the stock market downturn has returned to me, by the magical power of doing nothing

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

neato, all the money i lost in the stock market downturn has returned to me, by the magical power of doing nothing

Wrong , you missed out on the value of NFTs and Bitcoin.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It would have been nice to have bought like $100 of bitcoin as a joke 10 years ago. But I'm convinced being a bitcoin millionaire would have made me a severe drug addict and r uined my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mu Zeta posted:

It would have been nice to have bought like $100 of bitcoin as a joke 10 years ago. But I'm convinced being a bitcoin millionaire would have made me a severe drug addict and r uined my life.

Plus you would've just lost it to Mt Gox in 2014, since that was where basically everybody held their "bought a little as a joke" bitcoins

Buying crypto in 2012 was a VERY different experience to how streamlined and user-friendly it is now