Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

An Epigraph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

An Epigraph?

It doesn't have to be a quote, no, though a lot of videos do start with an epigraph. I just mean that I keep noticing it everywhere that a lot of video essays I watch follow the same format of discussing a similar or related topic to the actual topic of the video before actually jumping into the video.

It starts feeling samey after a while. I enjoyed that Jack Saint video from the other day talking about Gordon Freeman because of how unstructured it was by comparison. Rather than going into a long thesis about why Gordon Freeman is a compelling protagonist it was just Jack Saint rambling off just how insane the last three days of Gordon's life have been by laying out exactly what happens across HL2. It's different.

Like, it's pretty extensive to the point where the videos by Man Carrying Thing sum up most video essays I've seen.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 6, 2022

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

personally im glad that video essayists stopped doing the gag where they say their thesis statement at the start of the video and then have the credits roll for a few seconds and then they say hahaha just kidding this video is two hours long. it took like three years

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a good way to indicate tone in your essay, and especially if you're not confident in your own persuasive abilities or knowledge on the subject, than you can use that opening to get the readers mind into the right niche that will allow them to connect with the martial you're presenting. It's like how Pharell always uses that same 4 count to get your brain on the beat before the song actually starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixXNeUFdl3I

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
The best version of this kind of intro I've seen is in Dan Olson's Line Goes Up video, where his summary of 2008 is both an analogy AND necessary background to explain crypto's rise.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ben Kuchera, formerly of Polygon and the Penny Arcade Report, is having some kind of meltdown on twitter where he claims that he was fired from Polygon under circumstances relating to the sexual abuse of his children, and vaccines.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

im not gonna diagnose a stranger on the internet, but that just makes me sad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember when ben kuchera compared handling the DS4 to touching boobs

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Alaois posted:

remember when ben kuchera compared handling the DS4 to touching boobs
he was right

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

Ben Kuchera, formerly of Polygon and the Penny Arcade Report, is having some kind of meltdown on twitter where he claims that he was fired from Polygon under circumstances relating to the sexual abuse of his children, and vaccines.

Gone now from Twitter but you can still see them if you search for Kuchera on Google. Apparently laying the blame at Chris Plante and Maddy Meyers' feat, whomever they are.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7vm-lFljY

Dude drops a gopro down a mystery pipe in the woods. No twist or anything it's just cool.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pigbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7vm-lFljY

Dude drops a gopro down a mystery pipe in the woods. No twist or anything it's just cool.

Holy poo poo their channel is full of them doing some very risky behavior.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

Gone now from Twitter but you can still see them if you search for Kuchera on Google. Apparently laying the blame at Chris Plante and Maddy Meyers' feat, whomever they are.

lol as someone who likes Polygon stuff imagining Chris Plante as some kinda child abuse mastermind is pretty funny, both of those people are just kinda super normie video game people.

I missed it so I have no idea what Ben accused them of but considering nobody's talking about any, ya know, proof and all and also considering that Ben's kinda famously a reactionary idiot I feel pretty secure responding to "CHRIS PLANTE FIRED ME FOR MY BRAVE VACCINE AND Q ANON VIEWS" with 'lol what'

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You can find screenshots of the tweets on twitter, but it's all very weird. The sexual abuse thing seems to be something that was happening outside of work. He also makes it sound like they wouldn't let him or his kids get vaccinated which makes no sense. Or they forced him to make up the hours he was using on the vaccine recovery I guess specially on days his kids were getting abused? I really have no idea

https://twitter.com/GamesNosh/status/1555728666495225857

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

as someone who likes Polygon stuff imagining nick Robinson as some kinda sexual abuse mastermind is pretty funny, hes just a super normie video game person

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dovi posted:

as someone who likes Polygon stuff imagining nick Robinson as some kinda sexual abuse mastermind is pretty funny, hes just a super normie video game person

uh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:thejoke:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ah lol, whoops!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as Polygon just unceremoniously Jenna Stoeber it sounds like they're just kind of getting rid of people right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dovi posted:

I mean yea but 'oh poo poo the dude who's persona was like 90% uwu soft boy bean was a creep, that sucks' and 'the guy who mainly just kinda does generic kinda lib gamer takes also fired me for being vaccinated and told me my kid being abused was a lie that was also my fault' are two kinda different twists. Also one of those had, ya know, proof and wasn't just a famously weird rear end in a top hat going on a clearly drunk rant.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I missed it so I have no idea what Ben accused them of but considering nobody's talking about any, ya know, proof and all and also considering that Ben's kinda famously a reactionary idiot I feel pretty secure responding to "CHRIS PLANTE FIRED ME FOR MY BRAVE VACCINE AND Q ANON VIEWS" with 'lol what'

I knew Ben a bit a long time ago and he always seemed a little edgelordy but his heart seemed to be in the right place; when I knew him "reactionary" wasn't even on the radar. I'm low key a little sad to see this even though I know how he's gotten over time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually am surprised his 'fired for vaccines' thing is apparently him saying he was fired FOR getting vaccinated, last I saw him bitching about this stuff was him doing generic "LOCKDOWNS MORE LIKE CRACKDOWNS ON RIGHTS" poo poo about how he was scared to go to a park because someone might...turn him in????

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

idk how truthful he's being but it's believable to me in a vacuum that outwardly good and liberal employers would be ruthless and inflexible in regards to negotiating time off for serious health-related appointments and life crises.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah like I don’t think they would have fired him for getting the vaccine or trying to take care of his kids specifically but I can definitely see them saying “well gawrsh you sure have been abusing the short-term time off requests, can’t let you keep doing that” and just ignoring him saying there were very good reasons

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 6, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it sounds more like a Vox problem than a problem specifically with Polygon, but who knows

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's kinda a big difference between 'despite their outwardly liberal views Vox's basic worker handling like time off being poo poo means I was in a difficult situation trying to get myself and my kids vaccinated' and 'These two people in Polygon specifically punished me for being vaccinated and said I was personally to blame for my kid being sexually abused!'

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The guy is providing an obviously distorted version of what happened with lots of missing details. There was a court date he couldn't get off? Or a series of court dates for undisclosed reasons? There was a vaccination day he had to make up on a Saturday? Yeah, corporations are going to have dumb paid time off policies and shrug their shoulders at someone running out of sick time and still calling in, but HR Departments usually care about the optics of accommodating medical or legal issues. There's probably a big mess in the background.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
It would be really helpful if he actually elaborated on the specifics of the situation instead of just reposting the same statement 14 times with slightly different wording? Like, I don't want to outright dismiss his claims because employers can and have done some pretty garbage-rear end things to people, but it's really hard to make a judgement call when the only information we have is "They fired me for being vaccinated and Chris Plante and Maddy Meyers knew I worked a Saturday while my kids were being abused!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Leslie Bestington joins Commander Sterling in wrestling land!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5db8EdXqc

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Anyway I watched the Sarah Z video on fanfiction and at one point she quotes some discussion on new art mediums, and how emergent art mediums often model themselves on more established mediums to build up credibility, even if it's to the detriment of the emergent medium. It mirrors a lot of what feels so off and awkward about the past couple generations of video games that try to be "cinematic." Where they feel so obsessed with mirroring the "realism" of mainstream Hollywood movies or prestige TV that you end up with games that feel like a chore to play, or where there's this violent tonal class between the the mood of the cutscenes and the sociopathic videogamey poo poo you can do when you're unleashed on the game world.

I'll relink the video since I'm bringing it up again, in case anyone wants to start more circular fights over what counts as art or fanfiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvP_BLMgYBg

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Fanfiction is just the re-democratisation of fiction. It's the most Praxis there is.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Leslie Bestington joins Commander Sterling in wrestling land!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5db8EdXqc

in a way it's good that he's boosting Amelie Doree because this morning she was tweeting that she wasn't going to be able to release the next video publically at all because of youtube being terrible

so tripling her subscribers over the course of a single day is probably a nice surprise

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's also a good video because he takes a quick poo poo on re:zero and jobless reincarnation

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

apparently there is some Hashtag TikTok drama over this video over on twitter, something about some tiktokers uns getting blurred out but not their faces, and one tiktokers clip misconstruing her main point about classics being inaccessible because of education or w/e?? it was a few days ago though and afaik sarah sent over an apology to em in private so maybe the vid got edited by now idk

The 7th Guest posted:

it's also a good video because he takes a quick poo poo on re:zero and jobless reincarnation

is re zero the one that people say doesn't suck?

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Copyright trolls are back on their bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuY1FBsl3O8

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Booky posted:

apparently there is some Hashtag TikTok drama over this video over on twitter, something about some tiktokers uns getting blurred out but not their faces, and one tiktokers clip misconstruing her main point about classics being inaccessible because of education or w/e?? it was a few days ago though and afaik sarah sent over an apology to em in private so maybe the vid got edited by now idk
apparently theres some drama? this is interesting enough for you to post here but not enough for you to look up what the allegations actually are?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Farm Frenzy posted:

apparently theres some drama? this is interesting enough for you to post here but not enough for you to look up what the allegations actually are?

eh i kinda skimmed it, can grab some tweets real fast i guess?? dunno why you're getting so passive aggressive about this tho, i know v little about tiktok and literally just saw those tweets, is there something different?

heres the major flashpoint issue (theres other tweets along these lines too)

this is the tiktoker in question with their latest update about it (i think they did a response when the vid dropped also?)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Booky posted:

I honestly didn't even look at the screengrabs she was pulling up because I was playing a video game at the same time, so I can't say what was up with that.

e- Wait... are people having issues because Sarah Z blurred out a username, so therefore you can't go and Google the user and look at the original context? Because I assumed this was going to be like the prior issues with Youtubers doing screengrabs of comments where things weren't properly censored enough so that the smaller accounts avoided being harassed.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 7, 2022

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Re:Zero owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Booky posted:

eh i kinda skimmed it, can grab some tweets real fast i guess?? dunno why you're getting so passive aggressive about this tho, i know v little about tiktok and literally just saw those tweets, is there something different?

heres the major flashpoint issue (theres other tweets along these lines too)

this is the tiktoker in question with their latest update about it (i think they did a response when the vid dropped also?)

I'm being regular aggressive. don't post half assed contextless gossip in this thread. There's tons of people like you itt who will just immediately start going around repeating it without checking. If it's such a huge burden to explain then don't bother.