Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah true I guess, I think the couple of repanse games I played I'm either too busy with the boney boys or he doesn't really go anywhere so he's like a speedbump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For me, the Empire is one of the most fun factions to play because of the diversity of their roster and their play options. They have access to pretty much every type of unit and army composition you can think of, and this leads to really fun combined arms forces that are greater than the sum of their parts. You can run standard gunline empire armies, sure, but their mobility options are good enough that you can also run fun hammer/anvil armies and light cavalry harass. Most players probably never even touch pistoliers and outriders, for example, but I love using them.

I generally really like factions that have a lot of tactical options and variety and struggle to warm up to factions that are one trick ponies, even if it's a really good trick. Dwarfs do nothing for me because there's not really a lot of workable compositions for a dwarf force that can actually succeed besides "tanky frontline + guns/crossbows/arty".

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, Empire just gets really good all around stuff for sp. Halberds are very cost effective ap units, crossbows are good for the entire campaign, you get guns, grenade outriders can clear whole armies of skaven or undead, access to most lores, decent heavy cav, good artillery, etc

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i kind of wish they'd add another slann lord but the only two significant ones are already there and if they wanted to make a new one the slann are kind of inherently... vibe-limited

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
slann lord that's a skink lord in disguise as a mummy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah that too, empire can basically do everything so you can run a bunch of different army types.

moonmazed posted:

slann lord that's a skink lord in disguise as a mummy

Several skink casters all inside a large animatronic frog.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Empire Mortars are still my MVP artillery unit. Simple yet elegantly effective.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive yet to play as either Empire or Bretonnia because they seem dreadfully boring when the other options are vampires, rats, or even fuckin dinosaurs

i get that thats the point, but its not for me

Empire only feels generic to me until you start getting all of the gunpowder units. Skaven warcrimes are obviously amazing but nothing beats opening up on an opposing army with a volley of Hellstorm rocket batteries. Like others have posted, it's refreshing defeating armies of unholy monstrosities with good old gunpowder. Also the revamp has made them a pretty fun campaign. I think Franz is cool but I have a hard time not picking Balthasar.

Bret doesn't really have a comparable faction I can think of in gameplay style. Mass cavalary with late doomstacks of arial cavalry and a fun crusade objective that doesn't really involve map painting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Empire Mortars are still my MVP artillery unit. Simple yet elegantly effective.

Hell, mortars in my vampirates run were my MVP. Sup elves, those are some nice walls you're standing on top of. Lot of archers. Standing stock still.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Empire's great, they have a bunch of magic, a massively diverse roster, and a lot of unique toys that nobody else really has equivalencies to, such as grenadier outriders and the hero-sniping Luminark. Plus, frankly, I'm not sure where the idea that "fantasy HRE" is boring comes from; the most generic factions in the setting being Brettonia, the Elves, and the Dwarfs, and even they have some fun twists to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda wish the luminark was more like... a big laser beam. I have never really found a use for it other than the net of amyntok. It hits fairly hard sure but like, so do cannons.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there should be an excessively culinary brettonian ll. maybe also an excessively culinary empire hobbit ll. they already got grom the ogres and the skaven, but need some part of the ordertide thats really hungry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jacques de Honhon, on an epic quest to lustria to find and eat the big frog.

Just give him grom's mechanics.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mordja posted:

the hero-sniping Luminark
Wait... the Luminark can hit things?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I kinda wish the luminark was more like... a big laser beam. I have never really found a use for it other than the net of amyntok. It hits fairly hard sure but like, so do cannons.

The Luminark is fast enough that you can move it to an enfilading position and fire down the frontlines, racking up a ton of kills.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

It is a genuinely useless unit, like it has absolutely no redeeming value for its extreme cost and build requirements. 130 less range than a great cannon, incredibly easy to break LOS, misses frequently, slow as hell, drops orders, etc. Even in MP as a niche pick it usually just costs you the game because you could have used that 1700 on cannons or handguns or anything else.

It should be good at killing large single entity units but it mostly misses anything not Dread Saurian size or faster than a Dwarf.

Tankbuster posted:

The Luminark is fast enough that you can move it to an enfilading position and fire down the frontlines, racking up a ton of kills.

Yeah and it whiffs the shot and kills a bunch of your own frontline. Or just use a wizard on a flying mount to cast a guaranteed hit burning skull, or pendulum.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 6, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I beat the Ursun campaign for the first time as Kislev.

The game crashed after I killed Bel'Akor. Yay. I just looked up the final cutscene on Youtube, is there any in game reward for going back and doing the final fight again and not having it crash?

I gotta say, I find the Ursun campaign to be deeply annoying. The rifts and global corruption were not really a difficult thing to deal with, just a nuisance that means I have to a bunch of agents scattered around in both my unupgraded / unwatchtowered provinces and for my military allies because they were completely unable to deal with the rogue armies. Settlement fights are annoying logjams where it's difficult to use cav and other fast attackers and cheap poo poo will hold you up to get shot by a bunch of towers. I'll buck the trend and say that I actually liked the actual realms of chaos encounters, I think it gave you some interesting challenges to work through and provided a nice break.

The factions feel incomplete, which I feel like is to be expected with a stock vanilla TWWH faction pre-dlc. Kislev not having a hero that can hinder movement or break walls is awful, especially the latter given that they don't get a true siege attack unit until Little Grom in t4. I think the Demons will feel much better in Immortal Empires when they have access to their full roster of Marked Warriors of Chaos, but Kislev and Cathay will need to wait a while to finish getting their core roster.

Between now and Immortal Empires I'll probably do an Ogre campaign next, until I can get my Volkmar on in Immortal Empires.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Luminark used to be a monster unit but it got nerfed hard in the accuracy department, it needs some vet ranks to boost accuracy to be good at killing single entities but that cost a lot (in mp)

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I would love the Luminark if it didn't decide to just not fire half the time

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DeathSandwich posted:

I beat the Ursun campaign for the first time as Kislev.

The game crashed after I killed Bel'Akor. Yay. I just looked up the final cutscene on Youtube, is there any in game reward for going back and doing the final fight again and not having it crash?

You get the choice to enslave (heresy) or banish Bel'Akor, assuming you aren't done and want to keep playing the campaign. He is an absolute monster of a lord if you go that route. Banishment gives you

Winds of Magic power reserve: +5 per turn (all armies)
Hero capacity: +3 for all Heroes
Growth: +25 (all provinces)
Control: +7 (all provinces)
Hero and Lord recruit rank: +14 (factionwide)
Income from all buildings: +15%

So, either choice is very strong.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Marmaduke! posted:

What was your reaction when you got to the battle where he's all "yeah I've had this sick Warhammer all along but I've been choosing not to use it this whole time"

I don't remember if I even got his level that high

My first campaign involved getting smacked around so much I wasn't able to expand beyond Karl's home province, and couldn't even take the rest of the Empire's core lands until after the Chaos Invasion had genocided basically everything north of Altdorf, by which point I had turtled up and built up enough that I was able to take out Archaon and colonize the ruins of places like Middenheim

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
The Luminark is a frustrating unit. When it fires at it's meant to, and lands hits, it's fantastic. But so frequently it just fucks around thinking bout sigmar, then eventually it takes a shot, whiffs the shot, ugh. I've almost always regretted having them in an army and I think they can be outperformed by any other artillery type unit. I do like the speed though I guess.
I've been more fond of the Helblaster volley gun in my last emp campaign, that thing has grown on me for how quickly a couple of them can gently caress up a heavily armoured hero. Much more consistently landing hits than the luminark.
I'm definitely a basic empire bitch, but who cares

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DeathSandwich posted:

The rifts and global corruption were not really a difficult thing to deal with, just a nuisance that means I have to a bunch of agents scattered around in both my unupgraded / unwatchtowered provinces and for my military allies because they were completely unable to deal with the rogue armies.

It is frankly baffling to me that the AI, as far as I can tell, is literally unable to do anything with the portals. Apparently none of the AI build the no-portal building, and they never ever seem to prioritize closing them. I get that they don't want the AI to rush them all down and leave you without one to go through for your campaign missions, but like, you'd think you'd use your nearby army to do something about the portal vomiting Slaanesh corruption and armies after, like, 5 turns.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
empire owns in part because it's generic, too. it has a roster that can basically do everything, you can tell with ease at a glance what everyone does and can adapt to things on the fly. their campaign overall also consists of dealing with other humans, fighting an apocolypse war with vampires while trying to get going, flexing on greenskins once you're powered up and then having you endless boss fight against endless chaos warbands, too many warbands, jesus christ that's a lot of stacks

I guess with a side show of murderous wood elves now, but I don't think I've played an empire campaign since she got added

brettonia in comparison, despite being my favorite, are kind of boring because their roster basically is just cav charge and their campaign is an unstructured "go run around and beat people up until you win"

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I may be forgetting other important things, but a big turning point in Franz vs Skrag in my Kislev playthrough was when I spotted him 5k gold. I was surprised what a difference that seemed to make.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

To be fair race selection doesn't have much impact in 5e as everyone is just a type of Human, especially if you're just using the player handbook. Elves are pretty humans, dwarfs, gnomes and halflings are short humans, teiflings are edgy humans, assimar and the genie guys are fancy humans etc. To top it all off variant human is mechanically the best race pick if you're a min-maxer type.

Variant human isn't in base BG3 (or it wasn't when the survey was conducted), so humans are actually the worst option from a min-max perspective (+1 in everything and that's it).

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 6, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Muscle Tracer posted:

It is frankly baffling to me that the AI, as far as I can tell, is literally unable to do anything with the portals. Apparently none of the AI build the no-portal building, and they never ever seem to prioritize closing them. I get that they don't want the AI to rush them all down and leave you without one to go through for your campaign missions, but like, you'd think you'd use your nearby army to do something about the portal vomiting Slaanesh corruption and armies after, like, 5 turns.

If you mouse over the anti-skaven building for the old races like empire and dwarves, they explicitly do not stop portals anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

I have never been able to get it to shoot consistently at anything like that. Also if I was doing that I would rather just have a unit of grenade outriders. Or outriders generally. Or another cannon. Or a rocket battery.

For how awkward it is to get it just doesn't do anything very well. It doesn't even do particularly impressive damage if you do manage to hit a big unit with it, certainly not over and above the consistency of a unit of cannons blasting away at it or shooting it with dozens of guys with handguns.

It's basically a short range cannon that can't shoot over hills or units reliably, and you only get one of it, and it has limited ammo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 6, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Way, way back in ye olden tymes, Luminarks used to be hyper accurate laser cannons that put a death clock on anything big or flying.

Now they're just kind of sad.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

To the two people that admitted they don't like Empire in the thread: do you see what happens?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Twigand Berries posted:

To the two people that admitted they don't like Empire in the thread: do you see what happens?

:sickos:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the main reason Empire sucks and is super boring is that they dont have monstrous infantry

hippogryph knights dont count, those are monstrous cav :colbert:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i was also gonna say that they dont have any SEMs either, but ill count the steamtank since that is pretty cool

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I've killed a lot of Empire. Like a lot. A lot a lot. And I'm ready to do it again.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Haha oh will ya now? We shall see......

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twigand Berries posted:

I've killed a lot of Empire. Like a lot. A lot a lot. And I'm ready to do it again.

This is not mutually exclusive with playing empire.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Destroying the Empire as Beastmen is very satisfying but it also felt like stamping out cockroaches

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Leal posted:

Hell, mortars in my vampirates run were my MVP. Sup elves, those are some nice walls you're standing on top of. Lot of archers. Standing stock still.

Especially fun because you can bring multiple gunnery wights and just keep resupplying those guns. I've used cannons and necrofexes to nuke towers and then just spent an entire siege spamming mortars to kill off the majority of the garrison before. It's oddly satisfying to nuke a numerically superior enemy with impunity. The AI should sally out at that point, but they never do. It's as close as I've ever gotten to Legend cheese.

Meanwhile, these last few weeks are torture. I require big map. I am a manchild, CA. Give big map.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 6, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
star forts so all the fire was enfilade so the walls are actually worthwhile or more ai sallying would've fixed sieges being interesting better than what they actually did imo. channel the spirit of the marquis du vauban. maybe contravallations too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if CA has lingering PTSD from how terrible star forts in empire were and don't want to go near the idea again.