Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
That’s actually kind of what popularized them, so many men were getting drafted and coming home with wristwatches that they became commonplace and were seen as manly. That and watchmakers jumped on the marketing and started calling them trench watches. Calling things trench this and trench that became quite popular at that same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Killer robot posted:

My sister had a real fur stuffed animal as a kid, but it wasn't made out of a whole pelt or anything thankfully. Just a koala made from kangaroo fur a relative got for her in Australia. Similar to this one.

It didn't quite have the "real dead animal" feel that sounds like, but it was still kinda creepy thinking about it.

My grandmother had a wombat made from real wombat skin, and also a lifesize pig made from real pig (but made to look stylized rather than taxidermy), and a stuffed owl she found in Spain that had light up eyes and for the longest time I used to have nightmares about sleeping over at her house. She also had those weird pseudo-religious paintings that had the eyes that followed you around the room and horsehair blankets dyed pink on the the guest beds. Cursed grandma sleepovers are definitely a thing.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

King Carnivore posted:

That’s actually kind of what popularized them, so many men were getting drafted and coming home with wristwatches that they became commonplace and were seen as manly. That and watchmakers jumped on the marketing and started calling them trench watches. Calling things trench this and trench that became quite popular at that same time.

Getting some...vibes from your post/av combo.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Scratch Monkey posted:

It wasn’t even synthol
What you quoted is literally the standard mix for synthol. It's not always sesame seed but that's not a particularly rare oil choice. :confused:

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Railing Kill posted:

Getting some...vibes from your post/av combo.

Yes. I really need to get rid of my '00s edgelord avatar, but :10bux:

It was from a photoshop thread, IIRC

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is don’t have bigorexia or anything and have never even thought about injecting poo poo into my muscles so in my ignorance I assumed the synth part of the name suggested it was a synthetic material

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is such a stark contrast to the modern era where "real men" try to wear as much army gear in their everyday lives as possible, up to and including assault rifles.

Including unkempt beards because the manliest man navy seals had them in Afghanistan

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Waffle! posted:

Two weeks apart.

Well, I guess he won't need to be embalmed, since he did it already.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

King Carnivore posted:

Yes. I really need to get rid of my '00s edgelord avatar, but :10bux:

It was from a photoshop thread, IIRC

Someone find something cursed but equally German and we'll keep the text.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cacafuego posted:

Including unkempt beards because the manliest man navy seals had them in Afghanistan

The irony is they grew them so as to not offend muslims, so you'd think the guys imitating them would be clean shaven out of spite.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Someone find something cursed but equally German and we'll keep the text.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/mobilegamehell/status/1554938946575945728

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Got to make the cop a woman so as to not look like you're criticizing cops who are white men.

And now you got to make the criminal a woman too so as to not imply a female cop has any authority over men.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

King Carnivore posted:

FWIW, wristwatches were considered silly and pointless when they first became really popular around WWI. Particularly because the first ones were ridiculously huge, due to the fact that they were pocket watches modified with a wriststrap. They first became popular among soldiers, due to the importance of synchronizing maneuvers with artillery fire, and it was therefore also seen as silly to wear them in civilian life.

It wouldn’t have been an unusual belief to hold when that cartoon was made.

In that comic the other thing Everett was mad about was that the guy with the wristwatch was also smoking a cigarette like a woman, rather than a manly pipe or cigar. I think the date of that one was 1914 or earlier, so before WW1 popularized both wristwatches and cigarettes for men.

Everett True was a mixed bag overall, especially when the political came into play. He very often went off against the richly deserving, the abusive, dishonest, or inconsiderate; and often when he was in the wrong he'd be the one to get pummeled, usually by his wife. But he had some other stinkers. In addition to the wristwatch and cigarette comic, he got super jingoistic once the US entered WW1, for example, going hard against anyone anti-war or anti-draft.

For non-war content, contrasting these two:

Or this:

Or, to tie things back to the start, old Everett came around to wristwatches explicitly because OUR TROOPS:

Overall, I guess you can just say that Everett True is occasionally cursed content, but mostly because a violent misanthrope from a century ago is sure to have some yikes outlooks.

Bonus:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How is that cursed seems like a good time

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

blessed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

this is the one i was going to post if it weren't included -

Ghostlight posted:

I just want to mention that when True refers to 'beating and tarring and feathering' here, he's referring to a specific incident that came to be known as the Tulsa Outrage, where 16 members of the IWW (plus one innocent bystander) were violently rounded up by the police from the local IWW headquarters and promptly charged and convicted of vagrancy. That night they found themselves being 'transferred' back to the IWW headquarters by police when they were 'ambushed' by a local KKK sect who then took custody of the unionists and drove them out of town where they were stripped naked, tied to a tree, then whipped before being famously tarred and feathered, and finally as they watched the KKK burn all of their clothing in a bonfire they were told to never return to town.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

cynic posted:

My grandmother had […] a lifesize pig made from real pig (but made to look stylized rather than taxidermy)

Did the pig have life size balls? This is important.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

It's real: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/brach%27s-candy-corn/ID=300425464-product

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Brachs also are the psychopaths who made "Taco Truck" jelly beans and someone needs to be in jail for that nonsense.

Flavors: Margarita, churro, salsa, guacamole, beef taco, and horchata

Yes, I tried them. Yes, they're disgusting.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
sure but all brachs candy is disgusting.

if jellybelly or some other manufacturer made those flavours maybe i would be interested in trying them

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Some genius at Brach's: "You know how candy corn is disgusting and only old people and a few broke-brained weirdos actually like it?

Some other guy: "Of course."

Genius: "Well, what if we made it worse?"

The other guy: "Who let you in here?"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zipperelli. posted:

Brachs also are the psychopaths who made "Taco Truck" jelly beans and someone needs to be in jail for that nonsense.

Flavors: Margarita, churro, salsa, guacamole, beef taco, and horchata

Yes, I tried them. Yes, they're disgusting.

I think it is important to note that these are Late Night Taco Truck Jelly Beans.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

A late night taco truck without cigarettes, stale piss, or vomit? Shameful.

At least have a gasoline flavor, it's a goddamn truck

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/trrvvb/status/1555330481893150720

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Imagined posted:

Some genius at Brach's: "You know how candy corn is disgusting and only old people and a few broke-brained weirdos actually like it?

I don't know which group I fall into any more :smith:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

Some other guy: "Of course."

Genius: "Well, what if we made it worse?"

The other guy: "Who let you in here?"

Some one at Brach's learned about those jelly beans from Harry Potter that taste like all kinds of random crap and thought "Now there's a good idea".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yaldabaoth posted:

Some one at Brach's learned about those jelly beans from Harry Potter that taste like all kinds of random crap and thought "Now there's a good idea".

Sounds like they got the earwax recipe right

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I still remember picking out one of those that the flavor chart said was sardine, and figuring there's no way anyone would actually make a fish-flavored jellybean. I was wrong and it was incredibly foul.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I could go for some beef taco twizzlers rn.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I would eat the tuna cone

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cool Dad posted:

I would eat the tuna cone

It could probably be ok without the really sweet cake cone. Maybe a pretzel cone

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Love too eat mayonnaise and fish when it's kinda hot outside

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Anime Liker posted:

Love too eat mayonnaise and fish when it's kinda hot outside

I mean if the tuna is cold that sounds not terrible

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The only curse there is that cake cones suck. Well, and there's no cheese.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

nothing wrong with a nice handwich

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

The handwich is the worst way to jerk someone off

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I still remember picking out one of those that the flavor chart said was sardine, and figuring there's no way anyone would actually make a fish-flavored jellybean. I was wrong and it was incredibly foul.

Check out the snack aisle of your local asian market sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 6, 2022