Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I like the show and the books :shrug:

It’s exciting to me to see things that aren’t necessarily “on page” like Rand’s birth and the Latra + LTT convo.

Still I don’t think people realize how many book beats were hit in S1

https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1550387617253863425?s=20&t=v5NFGua2T6W8yeoRbOQkKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sure if you consider about 10 minutes total for that whole list. It was fine all in all but there was no hooks besides me having read the books and wanting to see how it played out. Sure you ain’t gonna get all the books into the show but going ripass through the best parts of the series is kinda lame. We’ll see how the next season ends up but most of the boys don’t really get to act and when they do it’s not very good, ya know, considering they’re supposed to be the main characters.

I’m sure it’ll just end up with the best actors taking over the collective conscious of the show when people want to see way more of them than the lovely nobody actors they got to play the main characters. Overall it’s fine but like most things the books tend to be better and I wish I hadn’t read them first.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I, like I assume many, had issue with the final two. I also really wish they handled the throwaway warder arc. If we are fully embracing the "new turning" that could have been Elias and a level of consent for the bond. His died, I don't recall who it actually was, and the wolves allow him to overcome suicidal tendencies.

1/8 of the season on a plot not even in the book.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Cool, I completely disagree and highly enjoyed it. Maybe try being a little less righteous over an entertainment product?
I don't see how acknowledging that this is a mediocre attempt at telling the same turning of the wheel that the books did is being self righteous.

RC Cola posted:

I'd be fine with another attempt and I'll enjoy this one too. Anyways Winter's heart reread and I still don't like the perrin or elayne arc. I get them showing the uniting of channelers under elayne and nations/common people under perrin/faile. But it's so boring and breaks up the story.
I will also enjoy this attempt.

socialsecurity posted:

I don't think the funding is the problem, the main thing I wanted is more characters sitting around and interacting so we can get a chance to get their characters/relationships right before they all split up.

Colonel Cool posted:

What don't you like about it? I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not sure funding is the primary reason.
I think 8 episodes per season is in large part a funding issue and that it can't just be blamed on the Algorithm.

Overall I still enjoyed the show, I just didn't think it was great and I don't have high hopes for it improving much.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I do have hope that the show will get a bit better, because everybody knows how to work along Covid now.

I don't hold much hope that the coward Rafe and his enablers will stop hacking up the story with axes and making goofy changes. That seems pretty certain to continue.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

th3t00t posted:

I don't see how acknowledging that this is a mediocre attempt at telling the same turning of the wheel that the books did is being self righteous.

No, I suppose you don't.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hexel posted:

I like the show and the books :shrug:

It’s exciting to me to see things that aren’t necessarily “on page” like Rand’s birth and the Latra + LTT convo.

Still I don’t think people realize how many book beats were hit in S1

https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1550387617253863425?s=20&t=v5NFGua2T6W8yeoRbOQkKQ

They didn't really hit those beats though because they changed/omitted so much of what made those scenes high points in the books.

Let's take "Empty Road" for an example. They had Rand and Tam walk with a wagon. But they cut out the Fade. Is that really hitting the same beat as "Empty Road"? I'd say it doesn't come close. And they did the same thing to most of the other listed chapters.

I agree that seeing Rand's birth was good, both in idea and execution. But the Latra + LTT convo was poorly executed, cool idea for a scene though.

I also liked that we got to see the Battle of Winternight. But I don't like that they shuffled Tam's feverish admissions to episode 7/8 to preserve the mystery of the dragon.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like the show because I like the books, maybe that's a bad way to get new fans but I dunno, I can only speak for myself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

th3t00t posted:

I agree that seeing Rand's birth was good, both in idea and execution. But the Latra + LTT convo was poorly executed, cool idea for a scene though.

I still cannot fathom why they decided to cut the prologue for the entire series, showing Lews Therin killed his family and his mistake was basically destroying the world in favor of seeing Liandrin and two other Reds catching some nobody male channeler while then inserting a Lews Therin scene that doesn't really inform anything later in the episode. It's such a bizarre choice.

th3t00t posted:

I also liked that we got to see the Battle of Winternight. But I don't like that they shuffled Tam's feverish admissions to episode 7/8 to preserve the mystery of the dragon.

I suppose it was necessary to see the battle of Winternight in the show given that it's trying to preserve a mystery of who the Dragon Reborn is (which I think was a bad decision taken solely to try and make the show more memeable on social media anyway, personally) and because Moiraine is the main character of the show where Rand is the main character of the book(s), but I can't say as I ever felt the battle of Winternight was something I wish the book had portrayed. The main impact is in the fallout, not how indvidual people react to it, since we know Lan and Moiraine are the only trained people there anyway.

I think the bigger sin for me though is that only one Trolloc attacks the al'Thor farm and I'm pretty sure (going solely off memory here) that there's no files of Trollocs and Fades watching the road for him. There being a dozen or more Trollocs in the book, with Tam taking out several of them before getting injured from a nick due to the weapon's poison just sells him as a former blade master, and the concept of a blade master way, way better than a single Trolloc breaking in and Tam having trouble with that one Trolloc did.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 6, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must agree I wasn't super blown away by the jaw-dropping AoL flashback scene being ... two boring people sitting on couches talking (in subtitles)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The thing is, it could be a relevant flashback much, much later in the story when Rand is disagreeing with Egwene over how to handle the seals. That's about the only time it'd be relevant though, and wasn't immediately resonant of anything in the episode itself. Or the season as a whole. It's just a really weird flashback to include. Maybe they originally planned to do something else in an Age of Legends flashback, but problems arose due to Covid; at which point, why do anything at all in the Age of Legends if the only thing you can manage is something with no real relevance to anything that'll happen for seasons to come? Just use the time you allotted for the flashback to do something else entirely instead. They could have made the Blight seem more than a football field long, for one.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tsob posted:

They could have made the Blight seem more than a football field long, for one.

They were going to shoot the Blight on scene in a jungle somewhere, but covid trashed their ability to travel anywhere so we got "whatever we can pull together with CGI at the last minute".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The problem I'm complaining about isn't the aesthetic they went with though. Yes, shooting on location in a jungle would absolutely have made it look better, but Moiraine and Rand appear to only travel through the Blight for a couple of hours rather than the two days we get in the book just to reach some foot hills inside it, with the implication it stretches far longer. Nor do they come across any appreciable danger. Not even the implied danger signalled entirely through hunting calls or distant views of creatures breaking the surface of a lake in the ruins of Malkier that we get in the books. Which makes it look far less dangerous.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I actually kinda liked the aesthetic of the Blight in the show, tbh, even if it did feel a bit like one of those soundstage planets from early Star Trek. Reminded me of the Zerg creep from Starcraft, which is a cool spin on the 'nuclear fallout mutation' as described in the books. But yeah, the fact that it was just a quick jaunt through the spooky woods, with the ruins of Malkier and the Eye both apparently within a day's walk of Fal Dara, makes going through the Blight just a total non-event.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Don't let Reddit hear you say that

The louder redditors complain the more it's a sign that the show was good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, I suppose you don't.

Lol talk about self righteous

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anyway I do think it was pretty funny that LTT’s little Dragon badge was the Mortal Kombat logo made out of glitter macaroni

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basically the only credit from the show runner was episodes of Agents of Shield right? It shows.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Agents of Sheild was good op. Unless you're one of those people who thinks the MCU is the nadir of culture.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Apropos of nothing, but I just saw the House Trakand flag while looking something up and poo poo man, this has to be one of the most boring look flags I've ever seen. I wasn't even sure what I was looking at originally, since the flag is basically just a grey shape on a field of blue. I had to look up a description to see it was meant to be a keystone, but it's just a generic shape so it could be anything if you don't know what it's supposed to be. I can't imagine it's a terribly inspiring flag if you were following it for real, because it' so dul.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone else get momentarily confused when they see ads for Andor—the upcoming TV show set in the Star Wars universe?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Grundulum posted:

Does anyone else get momentarily confused when they see ads for Andor—the upcoming TV show set in the Star Wars universe?

Yep

It honestly could be at least four things: lotr, star trek, star wars, wot

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Everyone points to the last two episodes being bad, and they were, but to me a more fundamental problem with the show was that the twin decisions to make the identity of the Dragon Reborn a mystery and to bring Moiraine and Lan (and the White Tower) to the forefront of the show basically killed the underlying narrative structure of Eye of the World and made the show feel aimless, meandering, and disconnected. As cool as the Logain episode was, and as glad as I am that they made Siuan and Moiraine an explicit couple, neither of those things are load-bearing to the overall plot. Meanwhile, things that are load-bearing to the plot, like Rand's incipient madness, his connection to Ba'alzamon/Ishamael, Perrin's wolf powers, and the overall relationship between the 5 Edmond's Fielders, were barely sketched in.

The show felt like 2 episodes of setup, 4 episodes of a series of entirely disconnected events, and then it suddenly remembered that it had a plot and hastily shuffled everyone into place for the final bad CGI battle. You can blame the last on Covid, but not the rest of it.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

^ ^ ^ I'd agree with that, but I'd also add the early executive decision to limit the season to 8 episodes, which really hamstrung the ability to give the story, world and characters enough room to grow and breathe.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I, like I assume many, had issue with the final two. I also really wish they handled the throwaway warder arc. If we are fully embracing the "new turning" that could have been Elias and a level of consent for the bond. His died, I don't recall who it actually was, and the wolves allow him to overcome suicidal tendencies.

His Aes Sedai (Rina Hafden) didn't die, she lived through to the end of the books even. She was one of the Green Sitters in the Elaida Tower, although she was deposed after the reunification.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 6, 2022

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
I thought the show was a solid mediocre. My biggest complaint was they had to give everyone these tragic back stories and when they finally get to the one character who has a legitimately tragic backstory and its a big part of his whole arc, they just kinda breeze past it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The love triangle was seriously some WB bullshit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Perrin/Egwene/Rand thing? Yeah, that was kind of dumb, both because Perrin had just lost his wife a few weeks ago in the story, and because if they follow the books at all, then both of them fall in love with other women in the next season or two anyway, and both Egwene and Rand acknowledge that their feelings for each other have shifted anyway. So adding that plot line was kind of silly, since it'll make even less sense after season two or three. I vaguely recall Rand essentially inferring or acknowledging it in his confrontation with Ba'alzamon at the end of the season even.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 6, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Know what's dumber than the love triangle thing?

People who think there is a love triangle.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There was a pretty explicit scene that acted as payoff for the show building up small things, and wouldn't have any real impact if everyone watching just reacted with a "huh? Where'd that come from?" Perrin didn't have feelings for Egwene, but the show wanted the audience to think it a possibility and I don't know what you'd call that if not a love triangle?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tsob posted:

There was a pretty explicit scene that acted as payoff for the show building up small things, and wouldn't have any real impact if everyone watching just reacted with a "huh? Where'd that come from?" Perrin didn't have feelings for Egwene, but the show wanted the audience to think it a possibility and I don't know what you'd call that if not a love triangle?

A love triangle is typically when you have two competing love interests for a single character.

That is not what happens in the show. You can tell because as soon as Nyneave isn't flinging poo poo everyone involved is like "nah"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Agents of Sheild was good op. Unless you're one of those people who thinks the MCU is the nadir of culture.

Nah I'm a big fan of the MCU I just thought the writing on Agents was rubbish and I spent way too much time trying to like it. Some good parts at the end of the S2 but whoo boy theres not alot of other good there.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

tsob posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I just saw the House Trakand flag while looking something up and poo poo man, this has to be one of the most boring look flags I've ever seen. I wasn't even sure what I was looking at originally, since the flag is basically just a grey shape on a field of blue. I had to look up a description to see it was meant to be a keystone, but it's just a generic shape so it could be anything if you don't know what it's supposed to be. I can't imagine it's a terribly inspiring flag if you were following it for real, because it' so dul.

Well it fits a lot of chapters that star the Trakands pretty well, at least.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

St0rmD posted:

His Aes Sedai (Rina Hafden) didn't die, she lived through to the end of the books even. She was one of the Green Sitters in the Elaida Tower, although she was deposed after the reunification.
I know, but might as well make Rina die in the show and then there can be a depiction of a warders pain that lasts more than 40 mins of screen time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I know, but might as well make Rina die in the show and then there can be a depiction of a warders pain that lasts more than 40 mins of screen time.

The fact that there's plenty of people still complaining that the show dared to waste time focusing on one of the single biggest plot relevant details of the world shows that whatever the screen time, it's effects last a lot longer than 40 minutes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The fact that there's plenty of people still complaining that the show dared to waste time focusing on one of the single biggest plot relevant details of the world shows that whatever the screen time, it's effects last a lot longer than 40 minutes.

That compulsion is cool and good? It was handled like poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That compulsion is cool and good? It was handled like poo poo.

Where is compulsion coming from?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Where is compulsion coming from?

It's the only reason Lan is alive, at least twice over.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think they're just confused because 'compelled via the bond' is different than the weave known as 'compulsion'

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

CainFortea posted:

I loved that episode, it was a fantastic exploration of the Warder bond, but it was somewhat out of place in Season 1, and the time spent on it definitely could have been better spent on actual book 1 events that were removed or severely truncated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I think they're just confused because 'compelled via the bond' is different than the weave known as 'compulsion'

Different in execution, but perhaps the same morally... that's something somewhat addressed by egwene, as I recall