Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MassiveSky posted:

And my most diehard fan-friend (who is for some irrelevant reason also a woman) complained that the show is entirely too safe, lacking in nuance and ripe with overexplanation.

There is something of value in it, but it's just caked with layers of poo poo. Sandman's slackjawed Kit Harrington-impression isn't helping either.

You're trying a bit too hard with this one. Maybe relax and take a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The actor playing Sandman is doing a great job of portraying Morpheus as he is at this point in the comics. Absolutely nailed the imprisonment scene especially. He was a little sneering and wooden during the Hob Gadling story but that's true to the comics.

anyway the real sin is Martian Manhunter erasure

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I never read the comics, but going to remedy that soon because this show finally got me interested enough to do that. I can tell that multiple storylines, probably issues apart, are being adapted due to how disconnected some plots are, like episode 5 (minor location spoiler I think): is a bottle episode set in a diner with characters I'm sure aren't going to stick around. It's only connected to the plot because a main character is sitting in the corner and influencing the diner folks with his power. I'm sure that means something to comic readers, but to me I thought the fifth episode was strange to spend the first 15 minutes on what seemed like an entirely different show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ It's actually pretty close in pacing to the comics, except some elements have been added and a few brought forward from the second storyline into the first.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I also like that some events now have more of a reason in the show than "it just happens", the way it does in the comic books:

Best of all, Dream meeting Nada in hell isn't a random occurence, but actually seems to have been orchestrated by Lucifer in order to rattle his opponent before the fight.

No, in the comics that is also intentional. It's more of a taunt to Dream, really, as in neither show nor book is Lucifer necessarily expecting the fight at that point, but Dream's VO about the motives of demons is straight from the page.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 6, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

I never read the comics, but going to remedy that soon because this show finally got me interested enough to do that. I can tell that multiple storylines, probably issues apart, are being adapted due to how disconnected some plots are, like episode 5 (minor location spoiler I think): is a bottle episode set in a diner with characters I'm sure aren't going to stick around. It's only connected to the plot because a main character is sitting in the corner and influencing the diner folks with his power. I'm sure that means something to comic readers, but to me I thought the fifth episode was strange to spend the first 15 minutes on what seemed like an entirely different show.

In the comics you do eventually find out what happened to Judy's girlfriend Donna. She comes into the story in a later arc and talks about how what happened messed her up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LifeLynx posted:

If they follow the pacing of the comics then yeah the show may often seem kinda wandering and disconnected. Over the long course of the series, though, it's all connected. All of it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Random bottle episodes of seemingly irrelevant characters, with maybe a minor appearance from ones we do know about, is almost the signature move of the comic.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

anyway the real sin is Martian Manhunter erasure

Nah, the real sin is The Sandman erasure. And also The Sandman erasure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyway high point of the show:

Dream: Eight Centuries of Goth Fashion

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that sure sounds like the show does a lot of the things I was specifically afraid but also fairly certain it would do.

Dave Syndrome posted:

so far they did a really good job streamlining the story for a series format. I also like that some events now have more of a reason in the show than "it just happens", the way it does in the comic books
I think that's my issue right there. I don't want to see streamlined things. There are enough streamlined things already. And I actually also quite dislike the idea that everything that happens in a narrative must have a self-contained reason.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The intro to Ep 1 reminds me of that old College Humour video about Tim Burton's new movie, when he gives this rant about how "we're are the story tellers, weavers of grand mysteries etc" and all his crew are silently mouthing along in the background. Like it's very in love with itself and the idea of being a capital S Storyteller, and will spend loads of time telling you how profound and strange it is, and not enough time being strange and profound.
I haven't seen that video, but the intro resonated with me in much the same way as overexpository. Same with the somewhat baffling decision to drop in the Corinthian to explain everything, then gently caress off, when there were perfectly good explanatory scenes in the comic already.

I'm seeing the term "edgy" a lot. It occurs to me that one term that applies to things that are made to avoid having an edge, or that have had their edge removed, is "dull".

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Why did they change this iconic dialog?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

My Lovely Horse posted:

I haven't seen that video

It's so worth it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzLRP8e4vE&t=73s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Caught up on the rest of the season, after episode 6 the overall quality dips pretty noticeably. It's still a perfectly fine show, about in keeping with what I was expecting from the show in the first place which was something good but not great. It just seemed a lot worse because those first six episodes were so strong. There is a good line in I think episode 6 or so which felt almost like a meta-commentary, something along the lines of "while you were hunting down your tools you had a goal, but now you've got them and everything just feels like more of the same ahead".

The convention felt weirdly campy compared to everything else, and the general plot felt more sketched out than it had in the first few episodes. In the end this felt like a show that could have been something special but didn't quite have enough to sustain it over the full run. I think there's enough there to build from the foundation though, and next season will hopefully benefit from being able to build from that and reach the heights it had previously hit.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The convention pretty much had to happen, given how it was tied in to The Corinthian's whole deal. But yeah, it is clearly a relic of something originally written just after the peak of the age of serial killers. That era is a good 20 years gone now, it feels like they didn't try hard enough to fit that aspect of the story into the modern era. For example, the guy who sneaks in is a blogger, when in 2020 he would almost certainly be the host of a true crime podcast. Hell, if they had found some way to tie the convention in to the current true crime craze it would have felt a lot more relevant.

I hope (but also seriously doubt) that the production can get its hands on one of those massive Volume LED background screens like they've been using on the Disney+ Star Wars shows. Right now the green screen is good enough, but it could be better.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's largely regarded as one of the best things DC has ever produced, and for good reason. Sandman alone would put Gaiman as one of the greatest comic book writers ever, though it's hardly his only work. There's no reason a comic book can't be impressive. It's just a form of storytelling, after all.

I like comics! I haven’t read many western ones but I loved Watchmen and Saga, and I read a lot of manga. In the last 10 years “comic book show/movie” has just come to mean something super specific to the point where I almost roll my eyes when another comic book thing is announced

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a huge fan of the original and I was a bit wary on how this will turn out, but so far I've generally liked it save a few minor nitpicks, such as Corinthian everywhere doing plot exposition.

The double whammy with 24 Hours and Sound of her wings (5 & 6) were just as impactful as they were in the comics and that is where the series really took off. So far (seen up to episode 7) the MVP has been David Thewlis for sure.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm up to episode three now, and while I'm enjoying it a bunch I do with they'd given Dream a slightly more outlandish look. In the comics his weird hosed up appearance helped sell his detachment and separation from humanity, and while Sturridge generally does a great job, every now and then he still comes of as more of just a dude with a slightly oversized head.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Sound of Her Wings was really good - both stories. I'm not quite into some of the plot lines but those two knocked it out of the park.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished and I loved it all. Thought it was faithful to the comic and the changes they made I rather enjoyed.

Sturridge nails his role.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like Sturridge in the role but there are quite a few moments where he looks like he's just sniffed a fart.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
#1 in the US. Not sure of the rest of the world.

Good user ratings on IMDB for individual episodes. (Sound of Her Wings is highest with 9.3)

I think we’ll get at least one more season. Which would be Seasons of Mists which many argue is the best story arc.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Had my fingers crossed Fun Land would be played by the guy who did Ed Kemper in Mindhunters, but I'm just happy they kept the convention.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mob posted:

Had my fingers crossed Fun Land would be played by the guy who did Ed Kemper in Mindhunters, but I'm just happy they kept the convention.

Fun Land casting was spot on, though, he was quite sufficiently creepy.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

TeaJay posted:

Fun Land casting was spot on, though, he was quite sufficiently creepy.

Yeah in fairness I've only seen the diner scene so far, the Capri Sun was a nice(creepy) touch

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Dave Syndrome posted:

Also, I'm actually okay with them sanding off some of the more edgelordy rough bits. I've been a fan of the books since the 1990s, but my wife recently re-read the comics and was really bothered by how much some of the characters, especially women, get mentally and physically tortured, raped and murdered. "I get the impression that young Neil Gaiman really liked to see women suffer", was her phrase. I initially protested, but, well, she does have a bit of a point.

That emphasis on women's suffering - as well as a bluntness to how it's conveyed - is also a huge part of feminist SFF written by women during the 70s/80s that Gaiman would have been influenced by (Le Guin being an exception)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

That emphasis on women's suffering - as well as a bluntness to how it's conveyed - is also a huge part of feminist SFF written by women during the 70s/80s that Gaiman would have been influenced by (Le Guin being an exception)

You see it a lot in Alan Moore's works as well. It was important at the time, as it was a major change to depict these things as something happening to a human rather than being played for titillation, but in modern times a person will read these stories and come away thinking that the authors just really love depicting sexual assaults (plus sometimes it is just done clumsily).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Why did they change this iconic dialog?

Genuinely the line I'm most salty about is the "John Constantine I presume?" "well I ain't Dr Livingstone!" Especially the way the "sorry, little joke. Very little" just shrinks away inside the text balloon. There's a reason Sandman won the Eisner award for best lettering for like the first 8 years the award existed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Was Hob's line about chaining them together and then throwing them all into the ocean not until later when he talked about it to his girlfriend at the ren fair?

e: I was also thinking about the changes they made in 24 hours. Some stuff was left out but what was in was quite disturbing as well. I felt like Marsh's confession to Bette was even worse because it made it more personal that way than just doing it in prison.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 6, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 2. I can't help but feel Cain and Abel are lacking something. The script doesn't give Chaudhry and Bhaskar quite enough time to really breathe in their roles, and that's a shame because they are very, very good in what we do get to see. But the show seems to be more interested in hitting the major bullet points from their comic dialogue, then moving on as fast as possible, and trying to do an emotional gutpunch with characters that are barely established. They do nail it, though, shame they're not the focus of an entire episode.

The Corinthian seems unreasonably in the loop on everything, but his scenes and subplot in this one were quite good, and he got a nifty special effect. Lucienne is also very good.

The hecatae scene was excellent, actually, appropriately sinister and surreal, very well done.

This one's purely on me and if it impacts my impressions it's no one's fault but my own, but between the hair and clothes and certain angles I have involuntarily started to think of Sturridge's Dream as "anime Bernard Black"

e: an overall not good thing: the dialogue expounding at length on absolutely everything. I don't feel like this show trusts me to get anything on my own or retain information.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 6, 2022

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Episode 2. I can't help but feel Cain and Abel are lacking something. The script doesn't give Chaudhry and Bhaskar quite enough time to really breathe in their roles, and that's a shame because they are very, very good in what we do get to see. But the show seems to be more interested in hitting the major bullet points from their comic dialogue, then moving on as fast as possible, and trying to do an emotional gutpunch with characters that are barely established. They do nail it, though, shame they're not the focus of an entire episode.

I mean their bit is (with the exception of the major change) essentially the same amount of screen time as in the comics being adapted.

I do hope we get to see them in Season of Mists showing how the literal sausage is made

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

My Lovely Horse posted:

"anime Bernard Black"

You bastard. Now I can't unsee it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

#1 in the US. Not sure of the rest of the world.

Good user ratings on IMDB for individual episodes. (Sound of Her Wings is highest with 9.3)

I think we’ll get at least one more season. Which would be Seasons of Mists which many argue is the best story arc.

it's currently #1 in 80 countries according to Netflix's metrics. Safe to say it's doing pretty alright and will likely get Season 2

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It feels like they really want to make a Constantine spin off the Family Man is mentioned and Ric the Vic make an appearance. And right now I trust Netflix more than HBO to make it.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Dave Syndrome posted:

You bastard. Now I can't unsee it.

My god I couldn't put my finger on it but that's what I was seeing.

I've not encountered the source material but really enjoy what I'm watching, the only misstep so far was 24/7 John dee is still fresh, devoting that much screentime to a bunch of randoms I don't have any vested interest in (& no further need to after the ep finish, although i did see the photo in Rose's apartment!) really shattered any pace they'd built up in the previous eps. The diner scene or the travel scene was enough, both is overly excessive. They could've shown dee's motivations in a quarter of the time. I just didn't give a flying proverbial about anyone in the diner but the main character, I met them a few minutes ago!.

The sound of her wings and the doll's house brought the standard back up in short order though :discourse:.

sound of her wings especially. I can't think of another time I've taken a gut punch like that. The newborn scene Jesus Christ

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 6, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It feels like they really want to make a Constantine spin off the Family Man is mentioned and Ric the Vic make an appearance. And right now I trust Netflix more than HBO to make it.

Family Man was mentioned in the original comic too.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

only on 8, and so far I think some episodes have been hit and miss, but ep 6 was fantastic TV

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

it's currently #1 in 80 countries according to Netflix's metrics. Safe to say it's doing pretty alright and will likely get Season 2

It seems to me this season was in fact done knowing they knew they were going to be a Season 2, at least. There are some full CG characters in this season that appear for 15 seconds. That's very wasteful, economically speaking, the normal thing in a tv adaptation is to skip that scene or merge that character with another one, whatever to keep the budget tight. But it's more justified if they will use again that character and for more time on Season 2.

I'm thinking the bear thingie from Barbie's dream. She has an arc later, from what I remember of my read of the comic many years ago

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Family Man was mentioned in the original comic too.

Yeah, as a minor crossover with Hellblazer.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Turin Turambar posted:

It seems to me this season was in fact done knowing they knew they were going to be a Season 2, at least. There are some full CG characters in this season that appear for 15 seconds. That's very wasteful, economically speaking, the normal thing in a tv adaptation is to skip that scene or merge that character with another one, whatever to keep the budget tight. But it's more justified if they will use again that character and for more time on Season 2.

I'm thinking the bear thingie from Barbie's dream. She has an arc later, from what I remember of my read of the comic many years ago

Yeah, I can't imagine they'd have cast Lenny Henry as Martin Tenbones if they weren't planning on doing A Game of You.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 6, 2022

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Next season is most likely going to be Season of Mists and Game of You. I wonder if they'll adapt them consecutively, or intercut the two stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

Next season is most likely going to be Season of Mists and Game of You. I wonder if they'll adapt them consecutively, or intercut the two stories.

In an interview Neil mentioned they have already figured out a way to tie the two stories into each other so that Morpheus has a bit more to do in A Game of You since he basically only cameos in the comic story.