Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

You can reject a potential juror for any reason, or literally no reason, as long as there is another potential juror that could be picked instead.

Not always true - some jurisdictions have limits on how many jurors can be dismissed without cause, and beyond that a lawyer has to explain why.

Also if there's a clear pattern - i.e. all the dismissals were used on black people by one side - opposing counsel can object and possibly get the jurors reinstated

But it's extremely variable by case type, jurisdiction, and judge on the case

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lmao y'all are actually making jury duty sound kinda cool like some secret arcane ritual

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Taeke posted:

Lmao y'all are actually making jury duty sound kinda cool like some secret arcane ritual

I mean I was called once and was sorta disappointed I didn't get called. But I'm a nosy bitch that loves hearing about other people's problems and passing judgement on them

Plus it's vital to our justice system that ideally people that are smart and actually give a poo poo end up on juries. Juries have an insane amount of impact on people's lives. I think its really important that people care about doing a good job, even though it kinda sucks to be on one.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I did a civil case couple years ago in Chicago. It was some type of assualt case. Lasted 3 days or so.

I personally enjoyed my time doing it. It was cool to see how all of it works and whatnot.
It probably helped that we all were pretty argeeable people with what to award etc. We didn't have much disaggrement.

Haven't done it since. I got 3 summons within a few months of that case but since I served you can't be called for another year or so. Got one not too long ago for standby but wasn't even called for that.

Edit: Should note my jury was fairly lucky that we were the first cased called in the morning. We didn't really sit around waiting to know the whole day.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 6, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's worth pointing out this is an American Jury system as well.

I did Jury service in the UK juusstt before Covid.

Called up for 2 weeks. About a 100 people inducted and sitting in a big hall, for a day or two till we were called away in groups to cases.

A dozen of us chosen by ballot. Sworn in, sat down, case begins.

No Voir Dire, or any other elimination of jury except the obvious check of "Do you know this person, have anything to do with this case (brief details given). No? Good". Oh and you might be able to wriggle out of a long case if you have convincing personal commitments.

No pool of alternates, short of a major medical issue or other reason that would persuade a skeptical judge it is your public duty to be there to the end.

Also it's now quite hard to avoid serving if called. You can probably still get a single deferment. Beyond that, gonna need a real good reason.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My MIL served on a federal grand jury for like 1.5 years.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No Grand Jury's in the UK either. Had them, abolished 75 years ago.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Stoatbringer posted:

So if you've found out about this rule by being a juror previously, you can't be a juror again (in a damages case)?

"We reject Juror #7 because SHE HAS THE FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE!"

If you know about it ahead of time you're fine, you can use that knowledge. They could technically try to ask about it in jury selection to weed you out but I'm not sure how you would even ask about it with violating the rule about telling juries about it

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Piell posted:

If you know about it ahead of time you're fine, you can use that knowledge. They could technically try to ask about it in jury selection to weed you out but I'm not sure how you would even ask about it with violating the rule about telling juries about it

Do you know any specifics about the laws pertaining to compensatory or punitive damages?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
teen witch change thread title to Yellow Jacket Appreciation Thread (now with venom)

tia

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

I mentally don't understand how someone could like Alex Jones. Maybe they agree with his ideas but I can't listen to him talk for more than a few minutes and not get a headache. And that's mostly down to all his shouting.

Having known a few, the common trait in the people who listened to Jones was that they were conservative libertarians. Anti-authoritarian authoritarians. People who saw nothing contradictory aboit waving a dont tread on me flag right next to a blue lives matter/back the blue type people. That and weed. They were mostly pro police loving stoners. Although one was a hotep who sold weed and told me Julius Caesar was black.

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 6, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Do I wanna know what a “hotep” is.

Cause right now I’m just remembering Bubba Hotep and that’s pretty great.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Think of the stupidest possible thing it could be, then look it up and report back

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Prior to reality collapsing in on itself a few years back, conspiracy theorists tended to be people who broadly thought they were smarter than everyone else; I can see through the bullshit and put the pieces together in a way normal people can't. On top of genuine conspiracy theorists there were the kind who had listened to Art Bell because they love wacky poo poo like Bigfoot and ghosts and psychic powers because it was silly and transgressive. Jones had a smaller audience back then but it included both of those types; true believers and people just there for entertainment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do I wanna know what a “hotep” is.

Cause right now I’m just remembering Bubba Hotep and that’s pretty great.

Hoteps are a weird Black nationalist conspiracy thing. Basically the "Cleopatra was Black" people but there are various levels of crazy within it. Some are just people with confused knowledge of history, some are full on right wing nutcases and also think every historical figure in the world was secretly Black but it's been suppressed by the Globalists or whatever the gently caress.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's also a thing about how white people were invented by an ancient evil scientist to destroy true humans. It's more than a black power movement, it's an explicitly black supremacist movement that is also extremely antisemitic.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't imagine listening to Jones for entertainment. Not because of Jones, because I had my first exposure of Infowars last week when I tuned in to hear his reactions to the previous day.

Jesus, the length, frequency and above all lunacy of the adverts would drive me away if it was a 24 hour channel dedicated solely to how awesome I was.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's also a thing about how white people were invented by an ancient evil scientist to destroy true humans. It's more than a black power movement, it's an explicitly black supremacist movement that is also extremely antisemitic.

Oh lol I forgot about that. I think there are Hoteps who aren't that crazy, but maybe the people who just believe historical misinformation and don't go in for the whole thing aren't really Hoteps. Notep true Hoteps?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Aww I was hoping for a Parliament Funkadelic type movement.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Are Hoteps the black guys I've seen in videos where they're shouting on the sidewalks of NYC about how Hitler was right and should have killed all the Jews?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
There was that pretty incredible TikTok that someone posted a few weeks ago with a girl who went on a whole rant about how the slave trade wasn’t real and all or most slaves were really Natives who were black. So hotep + Trail of Tears erasure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Are Hoteps the black guys I've seen in videos where they're shouting on the sidewalks of NYC about how Hitler was right and should have killed all the Jews?

I think those guys are a specific different thing but it's been a while since I looked it up.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Alex Jones: Honey Bee in the court, Yellowjacket in the sack.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wit posted:

Aww I was hoping for a Parliament Funkadelic type movement.
While there was doubtless some overlap here and there, I believe the P-Funk and similar people were drawing from the same Afrofuturistic wells as Sun Ra. Some hip-hop folks (most notably the Wu-Tang Clan) have gotten into the Five Percenter stuff, which includes the story of the evl scientist Yakub who created the white man, etc.

A good practical example many goons will have had exposure to is Measurehead in Disco Elysium, who is of course a fictionalized version but definitely of the type.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
To be fair, as a white man, if someone told me I was the product of an evil experiment to wipe out the rest of the human race, I'd find it dubious but not necessarily worthy of instant dismissal

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
You know it can't be true because it makes white people way too cool.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silko's novel, Ceremony, has the native American version of Yakub, where white people were created by "Indian witchery" as part of an ancient dark magic contest to create the most evil creature in existence.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

black israelites who believe they are the real jews/members of the lost tribes

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Nessus posted:

While there was doubtless some overlap here and there, I believe the P-Funk and similar people were drawing from the same Afrofuturistic wells as Sun Ra. Some hip-hop folks (most notably the Wu-Tang Clan) have gotten into the Five Percenter stuff, which includes the story of the evl scientist Yakub who created the white man, etc.

A good practical example many goons will have had exposure to is Measurehead in Disco Elysium, who is of course a fictionalized version but definitely of the type.

It was Nuwaubian Nation I was thinking of. The ones with all the UFO illuminati pyramid stuff and a compound that looked like a minigolf range.

Anyways. Legal Eagle hasn't put out a video in a week so I hope he's doing something Alex Jones related. (but probably has to keep rewriting and shooting it as more batshittery happens)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wit posted:

It was Nuwaubian Nation I was thinking of. The ones with all the UFO illuminati pyramid stuff and a compound that looked like a minigolf range.

Anyways. Legal Eagle hasn't put out a video in a week so I hope he's doing something Alex Jones related. (but probably has to keep rewriting and shooting it as more batshittery happens)

Gonna hit up the Sbarro at the Sphinx food court and grab a slice.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My best friend growing up joined some type of black hebrew cult. He is extremely white. Yeah, untreated metal illness.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

wit posted:

He's doing a multi-parter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LegalEagle/status/1555201485146824710

https://mobile.twitter.com/LegalEagle/status/1555203050817703938

https://mobile.twitter.com/LegalEagle/status/1555217889455661058

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rampant Dwickery posted:

He's doing a multi-parter.

Great stuff. Pretty much what I suspected. Hope he goes over the effect of caps and weird don't ask don't tell rules about caps coming into the other suits that came up in the thread a page or so back.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grand Fromage posted:

Hoteps are a weird Black nationalist conspiracy thing. Basically the "Cleopatra was Black" people but there are various levels of crazy within it. Some are just people with confused knowledge of history, some are full on right wing nutcases and also think every historical figure in the world was secretly Black but it's been suppressed by the Globalists or whatever the gently caress.

A lot of them also support white supremacy.

I'm not kidding. The Nation of Islam explicitly endorses and funds white supremacist groups like the KKK and the Aryan Brotherhood because they have similar goals of racial separatism. As if partnering with scientology didn't make them evil enough.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

A lot of them also support white supremacy.

I'm not kidding. The Nation of Islam explicitly endorses and funds white supremacist groups like the KKK and the Aryan Brotherhood because they have similar goals of racial separatism. As if partnering with scientology didn't make them evil enough.

Nation of Islam =/= hoteps typically, but there crossover of beliefs. NOI more explicitly team white supremacy but hotep garbage is so absolutely bigoted in a myriad of ways. NOI is explicitly Muslim, hoteps are usually more Ancient Egyptian-focused.

Think of hotep like “incel”, there’s no explicit organization behind it, but there is a certain set of commonly held beliefs. It’s a catchall term for a type.

the Wikipedia page for hotep has a pretty solid summation of beliefs, and this fairly succinct line

quote:

It later became used to refer to certain Afrocentric communities as a whole, often used disparagingly to "describe a person who's either a clueless parody of Afrocentricity [...] or someone who's loudly, conspicuously and obnoxiously pro-black but anti-progress".

not all Afrocentric-types are hoteps, hell not all black dudes into Egypt are hoteps. Sometimes they’re just incredibly cool musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aATSUKu0jI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vXRRXgXYmw

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

It’s called InfoWars... and it looks like Info won

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

whoever wins the info wars, we lose

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I've been watching A Black Lady Sketch Show and I enjoy the Hertep sketches (and most of the others, it's great):
https://youtu.be/burA_fVLRIQ

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the deeper some are in the more they believe in things like black people having invented super tech (not to be confused with afro-futurism), anything from space to time travel. And also believe that some combination of white people, women, jews are somehow keeping them from accessing literal superpowers. It's wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Strange Poon posted:

Also the deeper some are in the more they believe in things like black people having invented super tech (not to be confused with afro-futurism), anything from space to time travel. And also believe that some combination of white people, women, jews are somehow keeping them from accessing literal superpowers. It's wild.
A small minority of people are off the deep end, and unfortunately they're usually also very vocal.

P-Funk, afrofuturism, and many of the things that've been mentioned by itself can be appreciated by regular folk who're not weird about it.