Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Geez, Hogan must have liked Luger. He tapped out and didn't immediately pop right back up in disbelief.

I loved that night and got really pissed off when the stripped him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tato posted:

This cool rear end poo poo happened on August 4, 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWijf0QL9MM

Man, so much hype and so much celebration. Compare that to Starrcade 97

I love that even the ref is so shocked and excited when Hogan gives up that his first move is to put his hands on his head in amazement before calling for the bell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

I love that even the ref is so shocked and excited when Hogan gives up that his first move is to put his hands on his head in amazement before calling for the bell.

WCW had some really great refs. Pee Wee above, Nick Patrick (who I didn't know was a second generation wrestler who went into refereeing) and Marc Curtis (also a really good wrestler but too small for the time), rest in peace. Lil' Naitch too. Robinson probably took one of the sickest bumps I've ever seen a non-wrestler take when Macho Man dropped the elbow on him. You might ask yourself, Dawgstar you sexy wrestling mark, hundreds of people took that! How is it sick? By the time Randy dropped it on Robinson, Randy's hips were so bad he didn't really protect his opponent as much so essentially Robinson takes it like a falling stalactite to the chest.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
My favorite thing is the note commentary drops that none of the nWo got to touch Luger before he touched them and threw them out of the ring. No DQ fuckery or bullshit, the title has changed hands and the nWo lost at their own game. Reminds me of the first time The Shield lost, same moves as before but this time the babyfaces had a counter ready for all of them, then the audience starts to think that something may be different this time...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

WCW had some really great refs. Pee Wee above, Nick Patrick (who I didn't know was a second generation wrestler who went into refereeing) and Marc Curtis (also a really good wrestler but too small for the time), rest in peace. Lil' Naitch too. Robinson probably took one of the sickest bumps I've ever seen a non-wrestler take when Macho Man dropped the elbow on him. You might ask yourself, Dawgstar you sexy wrestling mark, hundreds of people took that! How is it sick? By the time Randy dropped it on Robinson, Randy's hips were so bad he didn't really protect his opponent as much so essentially Robinson takes it like a falling stalactite to the chest.

That was a shoot elbow drop brother.

Lil Naitch got a collapsed lung and a couple of broken vertebrae from it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah at a certain point Randys elbow drop stopped being "A bump you took" and started being "A terrible thing that happened to you".

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lex was crazy over and had a terrific redemption story (he lost the original WarGames match against the nWo) and then, farrrrrrrrrt.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

Lex was crazy over and then, farrrrrrrrrt.

How many times did this happen to him, at least three?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This example, not going over Yokozuna at SummerSlam, not going over Flair in the late '80s.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Lex was crazy over and had a terrific redemption story (he lost the original WarGames match against the nWo) and then, farrrrrrrrrt.

Why did they strip him of the title I can't remember except thinking at the time it made no sense and was a terrible story

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shard posted:

Why did they strip him of the title I can't remember except thinking at the time it made no sense and was a terrible story

they didn't, Hogan just beat him at Road Wild later that week

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah WCW just wanted to pop a TV ratings and didn't have any long terms plans so quick 1 week title reign that really meant nothing and kinda of hurt Luger. So peak WCW

SiKboy posted:

Yeah at a certain point Randys elbow drop stopped being "A bump you took" and started being "A terrible thing that happened to you".

Randy's hip hurt from him taking most of the bump on the mat but instead of getting a new finisher that would hurt him less he just decided to land on dudes and whelp

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

D.N. Nation posted:

Honestly for a time starting when he showed up on Nitro Lex was secretly the best worker on the card, character wise. Some great stuff with smiling at the fans and slapping hands when Sting was looking and then scowling at them when he wasn't.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly for a time starting when he showed up on Nitro Lex was secretly the best worker on the card, character wise. Some great stuff with smiling at the fans and slapping hands when Sting was looking and then scowling at them when he wasn't.
AEW should do this dynamic with like Nyla and Riho or something

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

they didn't, Hogan just beat him at Road Wild later that week

Maybe I'm thinking of when luger and the giant won the tag titles and were stripped. Or maybe I have it all wrong

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

AEW should do this dynamic with like Nyla and Riho or something

Absolutely. I'm a big believer in reusing angles every five years or so when people forget.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Randy's hip hurt from him taking most of the bump on the mat but instead of getting a new finisher that would hurt him less he just decided to land on dudes and whelp

And instead of trying to 'encourage' him to not do that move they let him do it to a ref.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
https://youtu.be/LX3hnt3rFdY

Mark “The Shooter” Curtis was the man.

Also the Hulkster won the title back from that jobber 5 days later at road wild. Keep the title on Luger until starcade, Hall wins WW3 and gets the title shot. Sting/Hogan main event non title.

Sting and Hall both win and now you jumpstart the break up of the NWO with Hall saying Hogan couldn’t get the job done.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"That creative isn't gonna work for me, brother"

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

This example, not going over Yokozuna at SummerSlam, not going over Flair in the late '80s.

I remember a B&V show about the 89 Bash I believe, they were praising Luger a whole lot, and Bryan asked "when did this guy stop caring", and the week between winning the title from Hogan and then being told he'd lose it to Hogan immediately was probably that point. 3 major chances at becoming THE star of the company only to have the ruf pulled from under you, why even bother anymore when your contract is guaranteed anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Germansimp posted:

I remember a B&V show about the 89 Bash I believe, they were praising Luger a whole lot, and Bryan asked "when did this guy stop caring", and the week between winning the title from Hogan and then being told he'd lose it to Hogan immediately was probably that point. 3 major chances at becoming THE star of the company only to have the ruf pulled from under you, why even bother anymore when your contract is guaranteed anyway.

A lot of wrestlers torpedo their own chance at the big break (and it's not like Luger didn't do well or have big matches) but Lex felt like he was on the cusp of something that many times only to have somebody over him go 'Eh, no.' I wasn't watching WWF at the time so I couldn't tell you what the crowd felt like as the Lex Express rolled on but they really wanted him to beat Flair in '89, maybe more than Sting.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2BJDGfliAM

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

my god it's such pure bullshit

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

just retweeted by jericho

https://twitter.com/numetal_moment/status/1561081965629022209

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always dislike in the Retro shows when Bryan and friends don't think about "oh, this person vanished."

Stevie was with Raven from Raven's WCW debut and for at least a month, probably longer, but I just realized here at the breaking up of the Flock angle that Stevie hasn't been mentioned in forever. What happened?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

NikkolasKing posted:

I always dislike in the Retro shows when Bryan and friends don't think about "oh, this person vanished."

Stevie was with Raven from Raven's WCW debut and for at least a month, probably longer, but I just realized here at the breaking up of the Flock angle that Stevie hasn't been mentioned in forever. What happened?

If I remember well he got a neck injury and released later.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Nagging neck injury that he didn’t fix until after doing some ECW dates post-WCW. He also realized he wasn’t going anywhere in WCW after Raven told him he was there to just be his lackey. That’s all according to him via his Rise and Fall of ECW interview anyway.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

lol this is weird as hell but edgecrusher is hard as gently caress, this owns

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Stevie Richards seems like a legit good dude, one of the few guys from that era who may be much healthier and happier now than he was back then.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Stevie Richards seems like a legit good dude, one of the few guys from that era who may be much healthier and happier now than he was back then.

I remember when Stevie was working the Velocity show with an gimmick that he was with Victoria and unlike everyone else he dressed up like her and seemed like her valet. They played it like look at this girly dude he's such a loser he acts like the woman. And all I thought was man these two are really cool I love how supportive he is.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
the Kip Sabian of his time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

iamsosmrt posted:

The story about Stevie Richards I remember was one year a baseball video game was giving a prize for the first person to pitch a perfect game. $1 million. Anyway, Stevie Richards, that Stevie Richards, did it, but didn't win the prize because for some reason the competition didn't start for nearly a month after the game came out. Always stuck in my mind that.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Stevie Richards once tweeted me a YouTube video about the HAARP weather station conspiracy.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Eh, as long as it wasn’t some type of Jews control the weather type thing it probably gets a pass. Pretty sure we all have some dumbass conspiracy theory.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The American Dream posted:

Pretty sure we all have some dumbass conspiracy theory.

Uh no, we don't all have that. Also he apparently has a whole podcast about conspiracies, so yeah.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Stevie Richards once tweeted me a YouTube video about the HAARP weather station conspiracy.

Ventura did an episode of his conspiracy show on that. He acted like they wouldn't allow him to see the facility. They give tours to the public.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I don't know much about Stevie's conspiracy slant, but having seen his YouTube in recent years, he comes off as a humble and down to earth fitness guy focused on helping people get healthy. He's also a tech geek.

He's already ahead of like 95% of his peers who are mostly caught up on rehashing their glory days of fast living, drugs, crowd pops and ring rats, while also looking sad and kind of creepy because they're broken down and bitter a-holes.

Considering how much time Stevie spent with Raven and the ECW vets, it's a miracle he's even functional.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

Considering how much time Stevie spent with Raven and the ECW vets, it's a miracle he's even functional.

I have bets on Sandman outliving everyone somehow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

forkboy84 posted:

The story about Stevie Richards I remember was one year a baseball video game was giving a prize for the first person to pitch a perfect game. $1 million. Anyway, Stevie Richards, that Stevie Richards, did it, but didn't win the prize because for some reason the competition didn't start for nearly a month after the game came out. Always stuck in my mind that.

Never heard of this, but I assume they waited a month so they could sell a bunch of copies of the game in that month leading up to it. If they did it on release, they wouldn’t sell as many copies after somebody wins day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I have bets on Sandman outliving everyone somehow.

Well, things that are pickled last a long time.