Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Prey is the second best in the franchise at worst. I can’t believe some posters think Predator 2 is better. I had low expectations going into this movie. It is my favorite R rated action movie since Fury Road. While it isn’t as good as Fury Road, it is pretty drat good. I can’t believe this didn’t got to theaters. Does anyone know why this wasn’t released in theaters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’m more shocked that there are people who like predators. It has a few good scenes but overall it’s terrible. This scene is so anemic compared to the similar scene from original despite the original just being them shooting at the jungle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TSk3xeouO0k

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Predators owns, Predator 2 owns even more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spacebump posted:

Prey is the second best in the franchise at worst. I can’t believe some posters think Predator 2 is better. I had low expectations going into this movie. It is my favorite R rated action movie since Fury Road. While it isn’t as good as Fury Road, it is pretty drat good. I can’t believe this didn’t got to theaters. Does anyone know why this wasn’t released in theaters?

Going by the spotty CG vs. how it was shot, it feels like it was originally intended to be bigger and Disney was just like gently caress it this isn't a "real" movie. Which is a shame because it fuckin' rules in a lot of ways and I love how it's shot in general.

I dislike the upgraded Predator in The Predator (and the less said about the "Predator Killer" Iron Man armor the better) but I liked how this one took some elements from its look, and the mask/reveal of it was absolutely awesome.

Cheston posted:

Prey is phenomenally good about showing rather than telling. When the wind blows her scent towards the bear, or when she's washing the blood off of herself, imagining what it would be like to return home with no news but death, it's superb visual storytelling. You can see many points where a lesser film would insert dialogue to inform the audience.

Another great instance of visual storytelling is how they show both Naru and the Predator coming upon the massacred buffalo and realizing that French people are the real monsters

I really do love the first half of the movie, I mean the whole movie owns imo but the first half is particularly strong. Even stuff like Naru's brother shooting the bird effortlessly at the beginning while they're talking. Like a lesser movie would have had a lot of dialogue about how her brother is the tribe's best hunter blah blah blah Naru has so much to live up to if she wants hunting rights blah blah blah but we just see it in action and in how everyone else around him acts, you intuitively know early on that he's the real deal.

I also liked their relationship because throughout the movie he (understandably) doubts her ability at first at hunting the big stuff but doesn't discount her knowledge, and I liked that about her character a lot too, how she seemed to have a lot of general knowledge of how poo poo should work but not a lot of insight/experience into why it works to actually execute it. Like he mentions her plan with the luring the lion up a tree to tire it out a little was absolutely the correct way to do it, like her tactics are sound, but then she allows it to get her to the edge of the branch so she can't finish it of. And they did a good job like in the original movie with having her intuit bits of how the Predator works and perceives them and stuff to turn that against it.

Regarding Prey vs. Predator 2, they're such different movies from different times doing totally different things, I could definitely see someone just preferring Predator 2 over this or finding them about equal.

PREDATOR FILMS:

Predator
Prey
Predator 2

AvP1

Predators

A literal pile of poo poo

The Predator/Requiem tie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spacebump posted:

Predator 2 is the best Predator movie bar none

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEC7HKbP0g

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

So Disney could screw over HBO Apperantly and also boost Hulu sales

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, after being luke warm on the trailer and not real into it, you guys have got me fired up to see Prey and I see it's not on DVD until November. Maybe time to do a Hulu trial since I'm on Covid lockdown.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Predator 2 is the best Predator movie bar none

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEC7HKbP0g

I flip flop on 1 and 2 being the best. Basically if that clip was in the actual movie as them celebrating what a badass hunt and battle Danny Glover and the fallen Predator had across a whole city it would be the best movie in the series by far. Instead it's just, like, slightly better than 1. I honestly think 2 is a little better but my favorite between the two is which ever one I watched most recently.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

PREDATOR FILMS:

Predator
Prey
Predator 2

AvP1

Predators

A literal pile of poo poo

The Predator/Requiem tie

I actually watched AVP1 on Hulu immediately after PREY last night, and I liked it more than I remembered. Script, acting, and direction are still subpar, but I did appreciate the production values (except predator face unmasked) on the creatures and sets. The pyramid and Antarctica were both atmospheric, and you could tell an actual vision and effort went into the movie even though it failed.

Unlike AVP2, where it feels like someone with an iPhone is filming someone in a predator Halloween suit in some hick redneck town — it was atrocious. The lovely lighting is easily some of the laziest poo poo ever put to a Hollywood film.

Xenomrph posted:

Predator 2 owns, Predators owns even more.

Fix’t

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MLSM posted:

I actually watched AVP1 on Hulu immediately after PREY last night, and I liked it more than I remembered. Script, acting, and direction are still subpar, but I did appreciate the production values (except predator face unmasked) on the creatures and sets. The pyramid and Antarctica were both atmospheric, and you could tell an actual vision and effort went into the movie even though it failed.

Unlike AVP2, where it feels like someone with an iPhone is filming someone in a predator Halloween suit in some hick redneck town — it was atrocious. The lovely lighting is easily some of the laziest poo poo ever put to a Hollywood film.

Fix’t

I had this exact experience with AVP1, I remember hating it when it came out but like it was basically fine when we rewatched it awhile go. The cast being excellent basically carries the movie to me along with the sets. I just hate that once she teams up with the Predator the movie's basically already over. Everything about Requiem feels like a cheapass Italian straight to VHS knockoff of some actually good AVP2 movie that came out a year before or something. Just an absolutely stunning failure of a movie.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I flip flop on 1 and 2 being the best. Basically if that clip was in the actual movie as them celebrating what a badass hunt and battle Danny Glover and the fallen Predator had across a whole city it would be the best movie in the series by far. Instead it's just, like, slightly better than 1. I honestly think 2 is a little better but my favorite between the two is which ever one I watched most recently.

I like that they're so different. 1 is a perfect celebration of a certain flavor of 80s action wrapped in a slasher film. 2 is like a lost Lethal Weapon sequel thrown in a blender with horror. Both time capsules of a certain moment in cinema.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Spacebump posted:

You should probably give Predator 2 a rewatch if you haven't done so in a while. I remember not liking it much when I first saw it however many years ago because of how different it was from the first film, but each subsequent rewatch made me enjoy it more and more. It's so much fun, and is a great compliment to Predator 1987.

I can't remember where I read it on this forum, but a goon mentioned that Predator 2's aesthetic really grabs you from the screen; it's so grimy and smoky and sweaty that it really is almost tangible. 100% agree with that sentiment. The concrete jungle setting is super atmospheric. Great performances from Glover, Paxton, and Busey too.

[edit] Grammar

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 6, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predator 2 is basically a live action comic book and I mean that in the way it’s framed and it’s tone. Every shot feels like it was a recreated panel and it’s wonderful

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

teagone posted:

You should probably give Predator 2 a rewatch if you haven't done so in a while. I remember not liking when I first saw it however many years ago because of how different it was from the first film, but each subsequent rewatch made me enjoy the film more and more. It's so much fun,

It really, really is!

teagone posted:

I can't remember where I read it on this forum, but a goon mentioned that Predator 2's aesthetic really grabs you from the screen; it's so grimy and smoky and sweaty that it really is almost tangible.

I remember this exact post, it was dead-on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can smell Danny glover’s musk

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I didn't like a couple of anachronisms in Prey, but it was so much fun they are easy to forgive.
The only thing I felt was missing was the oppressive heat that the Predator is supposed to need.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Predator 2 is basically a live action comic book and I mean that in the way it’s framed and it’s tone. Every shot feels like it was a recreated panel and it’s wonderful

This is for sure how I've always felt it looks. IMO it was probably pretty influential on the 90s XTREME sorta comics in its way stuff like the colors and the various goons in it.

I loving love this shot:

gently caress yes

I still can't believe how lame the ship looked in The Predator lol

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

brocked posted:

I didn't like a couple of anachronisms in Prey, but it was so much fun they are easy to forgive.
The only thing I felt was missing was the oppressive heat that the Predator is supposed to need.

What were the anachronisms you noticed?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

What were the anachronisms you noticed?

I'm not saying brocked necessarily has this in mind, but that reminds me looking at dumbass comments and descriptions of some videos from the "western civilization is ruined forever because a woman was in an action movie" crowd, it seems like some people feel it's "historically inaccurate" that the dog looked so not feral and was so well domesticated and trained even though IIRC the director mentioned it being a specific breed they had at the time. It just blows me away how fast people race to the bottom of the barrel to pick at a movie. Again this isn't directed at brocked just dang lol

Do Predators really NEED heat? I know in Predator 1 and 2 it's we get that they show up during heatwaves but I figured if their primary hunting vision is infrared isn't that just to make it a little easier for them? They seem to lose a target just from it being a LITTLE cooler like when Arnold is covered in mud/underwater and stuff like that so I figured the heat was to give a slight hunting advantage. But like in AvP they put their secret training facility in Antarctica so it's not like cold weather is super bad for them or whatever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Imagine criticizing a good movie pupper. Can't relate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they just like the heat. They come when it’s hot and nasty because it feels good man

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
My ranking for predator is

Predator
Prey
Predator 2
Predators

I don’t count AvP and The Predator is trash that tarnished a fairly solid franchise up till it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

Imagine criticizing a good movie pupper. Can't relate.

Thanks to dumbasses online I don't have to imagine lol

Good animal performances/editing are rare and this one ruled

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Prey was better than the last 2 but that isn’t saying much. I liked the setting and some shots but feels like a movie I’ll forget about very soon. Not bad by any means but definitely don’t think it’s anything special. I think Predator 2 is better.

I don’t know why they felt the need to do a callback (callforward?) to Predator 2, other than the fact that the date on the pistol’s engraving matched with the setting. It makes the ending a major unnecessary downer with that knowledge.:lol:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 7, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SeANMcBAY posted:

Prey was better than the last 2 but that isn’t saying much. I liked the setting and some shots but feels like a movie I’ll forget about very soon. Not bad by any means but definitely don’t think it’s anything special. I think Predator 2 is better.

I don’t know why they felt the need to do a callback (callforward?) to Predator 2, other than the fact that the date on the pistol’s engraving matched with the setting. It makes the ending a major unnecessary downer with that knowledge.:lol:

No it doesn’t.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should put that item in every Predator movie from now on but never actually show how it got to the group of Predators that give it to Danny Glover. Welcome to the PREDATOR 2 CINEMATIC UNIVERSE!!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's no reason to think the predator ships were coming down to wipe out Naru's tribe at the end. Based on what we know from other movies, the predators likely wanted to meet with Naru and like give her big ups or whatever for managing to kill one of their own.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

teagone posted:

You should probably give Predator 2 a rewatch if you haven't done so in a while. I remember not liking it much when I first saw it however many years ago because of how different it was from the first film, but each subsequent rewatch made me enjoy it more and more. It's so much fun, and is a great compliment to Predator 1987.

I can't remember where I read it on this forum, but a goon mentioned that Predator 2's aesthetic really grabs you from the screen; it's so grimy and smoky and sweaty that it really is almost tangible. 100% agree with that sentiment. The concrete jungle setting is super atmospheric. Great performances from Glover, Paxton, and Busey too.

[edit] Grammar

I think this was probably me, but I definitely misremembred some details like the spaceship, which I realized after a recent rewatch after Prey:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hudson also has mega pit stains. Love the sweat and I love the texture to the film. From this kind of ubiquitous wetness to coarseness (the jackets) and then the dead cows when Busey's torso vanishes into the next dimension seem bone dry. Even the predator vision during that scene with all the imperfections as it cycles through feels very textured. The smokiness of everything, it's almost like an egg drop soup the way smoke hangs and swirls in the air like you could grab ahold of it. The way the predator's blood kind of blobs out in these gross gelatin globules. The ceramic medkit with the blue glowstick liquid is very crunchy. Then the predator's ship just has this completely different feel, smooth and metallic but not at all cold, you almost expect it to be warm to the touch.

Such a nice movie to watch.

I'm not sure how much of it is just because as a kid I watched Predator and Predator 2 about 3.8 million times each, but I really do love the way Predator 2 looks, moreso than Predator. I hope you all don't mind, I've screened some of my favorite bits just in terms of how I personally find the texture of these shots very striking, gross in a good way, all a great mixture of coarseness and wetness and the differences between materials.

1. The Opening Sequence - lots of debris, clothing, metal, and of course fire, and then you've got the liquid blood + sweat stains.

2. Jacket and clothing textures are so pronounced.

3. So many sweaty faces obscured by shadows in this film.

4. Door and pillars seem like a call forward to the predator ship. I love the 4th image here.

5. Noisy predator vision, the fake-looking meat, crunchy predator med kit, gelatinous predator blood, + BONUS sweaty Hudson's pit stains through his dang jacket in a really smoky police station.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 7, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So gorgeous. It’s an astounding looking film from frame one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The best way to describe it s the way people describe the Ringo Lam film Full Contact as a film where every actor looks like they were sprayed with gasoline for every scene.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I think this was probably me, but I definitely misremembred some details like the spaceship, which I realized after a recent rewatch after Prey:

[snip]

Ahh, that was the post, yeah. Great post, creatively descriptive. Lol. And now your photo example posts owns too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

There's no reason to think the predator ships were coming down to wipe out Naru's tribe at the end. Based on what we know from other movies, the predators likely wanted to meet with Naru and like give her big ups or whatever for managing to kill one of their own.

I figured they saw that, were like, whoa never been here but you guys might be our rivals, cool, nice to meet you, well be back, from what we get of them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I love how every gun in Predator 2 has some massive laser attached to it. When you cant carry a minigun like Blaine just double the size of your service weapon.

How do we attach this huge laser? Well just mount a giant piece of picatinny rail to the gun thats how

Action shot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is so quick and dirty but

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

^^one of the coolest things as a kid to me was the gun attachments in predator 2. The only cooler pistol was robocops.

CelticPredator posted:

This is so quick and dirty but

Lol that's cool, reminds me of an Xcom 2 poster.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YES

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CelticPredator posted:

I think they just like the heat. They come when it’s hot and nasty because it feels good man

That part of the country continent is a hell of heat, humidity, and insects in the summer. The rest of the Eastern Seaboard is probably too nasty even for them, I have no idea how this country got settled with the East Coast being such a humid shithole in the summer..

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

brocked posted:

CelticPredator posted:

When I go on holiday it's usually during the winter and go somewhere nice and warm; I'm not a huge fan of the cold.

The Feral Predator is like some of my friends that insist on going to somewhere snowy for a holiday - no thank you, I'd rather slaughter the French closer to the equator.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I also like in Predator 2 that LA is following this year's weather patterns where it's like 88 every day as opposed to the normal 83 in the summer midday, 70s in the mornings/evenings. It was just set 30 years ahead of its time.

Movie should have been set in Miami or Houston or New Orleans where it's humid and 95 or more every summer day.