Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

skybolt_1 posted:

I was just commenting to my wife that you almost never see Hummers on the road anymore. Used to be that every other car was an H2 it seemed like, now I see one and its a rare moment.

Were they just hideously unreliable in addition to being gas hogs and ugly?

they stopped making them a while ago. I think they just weren't selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This slide bolt isn't coming out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

They really didn't make that many of them either, the entire H2 production run was under 170,000 units which is like, 3 months of F150 sales

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

CommieGIR posted:

No they have bolt style.

there was a manufacturer for a while using them stock tho right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

there was a manufacturer for a while using them stock tho right?

There were aftermarket kits but 80s/90s VW was all bolt style

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Could have fooled me, seemed for a few years they were everywhere in the northeast.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^ Could be a regional thing.

In the 1990s some time, I had probably seen 10 Saab products and a half dozen Subarus.

Then my parents dragged me to Connecticut for Christmas to visit my brother who was working there at the time and it seemed like every third-fourth car was a Saab or Subaru.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've seen more Hummers driving around in the last 6 months than I have in the last 10 years.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

your mom knows all about hummers.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

your mom knows all about hummers.

more than you ever will

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i can confirm that your mom knows about hummers

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Either this bit was garbage, or the cordless at my work has more power than I thought. I had drilled a pilot hole and switched to the phillips to install a screw. Popped it in there just fine, then I wondered why my phillips bit was so flat.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Bits are disposable wear items, but yes probably material defect in casting.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

just doing some maps safari and first thing I see checking out Caracas is a loving PT cruiser:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skybolt_1 posted:

Were they just hideously unreliable in addition to being gas hogs and ugly?

LifeSunDeath posted:

shame on an IGA posted:

They really didn't make that many of them either, the entire H2 production run was under 170,000 units which is like, 3 months of F150 sales

It's all of these. The newest H2s are 13 years old now. They're also effectively an overweight GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon, so they burn through consumables more often (and some things that aren't really supposed to be consumables). And each year the Tahoe/Yukon alone outsold the H2 by about 10:1.

I also get the feeling that once popular culture soured on the H2 and it went from "symbol of success" to "poster child of American excess and the 2008 financial crisis", there were very few people left who want to shovel money into keeping an H2 going.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

yeah i'd guess the used market for H2's died up before they even stopped building new ones. they were basically mercedes with how often they needed maintenance due to the weight of the fucker without any of the prestige. they also weren't actually good at offroading so they didn't get turned into crawlers or anything once no one cared about them

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
On the subject of Audi UFO brakes, has any (overcomplicating German) manufacturer ever tried anything with stacked brake discs? Like inner and outer brake discs, each with its own caliper. Or with one caliper with four pads in it somehow?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There are multi-pad per side calipers out there, I haven't seen stacked discs though. That'd be a thing, haha.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Old volvos rovers run dual lines per caliper for redundant braking.
Rolls/bentleys run dual calipers for disc for redundant braking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

`Nemesis posted:

the problem is getting one, which takes months

Fair point.

I'm sure those two things are unrelated. Probably a factory defect.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't the brakes on most (all?) airliners multi-disc affairs, like super-sized versions of automatic transmission clutch packs?

The downside of multi-disc braking on a roadgoing vehicle is you'd be doubling the rotating and unsprung mass of your brakes, and I don't even know how you'd package a brake system that wide unless you did something nuts on a four/front-wheel driven vehicle where you have one rotor/caliper mounted inboard at the gearbox, and one rotor/caliper mounted outboard in the conventional location.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aren't the brakes on most (all?) airliners multi-disc affairs, like super-sized versions of automatic transmission clutch packs?

The downside of multi-disc braking on a roadgoing vehicle is you'd be doubling the rotating and unsprung mass of your brakes, and I don't even know how you'd package a brake system that wide unless you did something nuts on a four/front-wheel driven vehicle where you have one rotor/caliper mounted inboard at the gearbox, and one rotor/caliper mounted outboard in the conventional location.

you could do it on RWDs fairly easily if they're IRS and you could do it with solid axles but you'd have to basically make them from scratch. i'm pretty sure i've seen either race vehicles or prototype style things with multi disc setups in the rear before

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PBCrunch posted:

On the subject of Audi UFO brakes, has any (overcomplicating German) manufacturer ever tried anything with stacked brake discs? Like inner and outer brake discs, each with its own caliper. Or with one caliper with four pads in it somehow?

No point doing that, normal braking systems have been able to lock the wheels since forever.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Saukkis posted:

No point doing that, normal braking systems have been able to lock the wheels since forever.

it would actually help prevent the wheels from locking while being able to slow faster, hence airliners doing it like IOC pointed out

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Saukkis posted:

There is more to braking performance than locking the tires. I think Audi went to the UFO brakes in the first place because some Autobahn scenarios resulted in brake fade.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Large Testicles posted:

it would actually help prevent the wheels from locking while being able to slow faster, hence airliners doing it like IOC pointed out

That's not how it works. If the brakes are strong enough to lock the wheels/skid the tire, then they're more powerful than needed for maximum effective brake output for a single stop. If you need more fade resistance or to be able to handle massive loads (Aborted takeoff or reverser failure, plus not catch fire), then you need more rotor area and more pad area. Track/Autobahn duty is another reason for bigger brakes, but that's not really what manufacturers are shooting for. The cheapest brake system is.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 8, 2022

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Changing pads on UFO brakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2s_xX3nmw

Audi gives you a plastic pin to align the wheel and rotor since there aren't studs to mount the tire on.

If you know about it in advance and it's daylight, it's fiddly but not difficult once you get one lug in.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 8, 2022

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

sharkytm posted:

That's not how it works. If the brakes are strong enough to lock the wheels/skid the tire, then they're more powerful than needed for maximum effective brake output for a single stop. If you need more fade resistance or to be able to handle massive loads (Aborted takeoff or reverser failure, plus not catch fire), then you need more rotor area and more pad area. Track/Autobahn duty is another reason for bigger brakes, but that's not really what manufacturers are shooting for. The cheapest brake system is.

Aircraft brakes only have to handle one hard stop at a time, though. There is a prescribed cooldown time after a rejected takeoff, even on smaller planes like the Cessnas I used to fly. Cars have need to keep driving after an emergency stop, potentially doing another one a few seconds later.
Arguably car brakes have a bigger task since they need to handle long down hills, etc., aircraft brakes can be engineered to not overheat on a single rejected takeoff, but then must wait to cool down before another takeoff attempt.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

you could do it on RWDs fairly easily if they're IRS and you could do it with solid axles but you'd have to basically make them from scratch. i'm pretty sure i've seen either race vehicles or prototype style things with multi disc setups in the rear before

My point for doing it only on a FWD/4WD vehicle and not RWD is that a RWD vehicle wouldn't have CV shafts at the front to add brakes to. The fronts already do the majority of the braking. So if you added inboard front brakes to a RWD vehicle, you're adding an obscene level of complexity to solve a mostly-nonexistent problem.

The UFO brake is a "solution" to a problem that partly existed because Audi insisted it should exist, by sticking with 15" diameter wheel.

Also, I was never suggesting aircraft brakes were a good idea for cars, just an example of a multi-disc solution to braking in general.

As has been said, even with modern super sticky tires and downforce and heavy cars and assloads of horsepower, a single (giant) caliper squeezing two pads on a single (giant) rotor is still the best solution. More than capable of generating enough braking force to lock the tires up on at least one stop. Combine that with modern pad compounds / rotor materials and at least some effort at getting air over the brakes and now most cars have brakes that would make sports cars from a few decades ago jealous.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sharkytm posted:

(Aborted takeoff or reverser failure, plus not catch fire),

A little fire is fine, as long as it's not a big fire.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

True. I meant catastrophic fire. F1 brakes occasionally catch fire during pit stops. It's not great for them, but so long as they get moving and blow the fire out, it's part of racing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Almost every Ferrari sold since 2005 is being recalled
A faulty brake fluid reservoir cap might not vent properly, causing brake failure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

well the ones that haven't caught on fire yet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

meh probably only a handful of cars:

quote:

Ferrari sold over 10,000 models for the first time in 2019, and the total produced from 1947-2019 comes in at about 220,000.
what they should do is have a guy come to you for what that poo poo costs.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://apnews.com/article/technology-germany-8a2333532b91635d5b214485043ed94a

quote:

BERLIN (AP) — A test car with autonomous steering capability veered into oncoming traffic in Germany, killing one person and seriously injuring nine others, police said Tuesday.

A spokesman for police in the southwestern town of Reutlingen said the electric BMW iX with five people on board, including a young child, swerved out of its lane at a bend in the road, triggering a series of collisions involving four vehicles Monday afternoon.

After brushing an oncoming Citroen, the BMW hit a Mercedes-Benz van head-on, resulting in the death of a 33-year-old passenger in that vehicle.

The 70-year-old driver of the Citroen lost control of her car and crashed into another vehicle with two people on board, pushing it off the road and causing it to burst into flames.

Reutlingen police spokesman Michael Schaal said four rescue helicopters and dozens of firefighters responded to the incident and the injured were taken to several hospitals in the region. They included the 43-year-old driver of the BMW, three adults aged 31, 42 and 47, and a 18-month-old child who were all in the test vehicle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

What the hell is a test car doing with five people on board including a kid? It's not like testing an airliner where you've got seats for the test engineers looking at data in real time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

And if it was a test vehicle, why was the driver not being hyper vigilant with their hands on the controls just in case?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it's like cricket where "test" means "world championship"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

And if it was a test vehicle, why was the driver not being hyper vigilant with their hands on the controls just in case?

Same poo poo for brains attitude by developers that leads to iPhone prototypes being left in bar toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Or it's like Tesla where all owners agree to a TOS by which they're just "testers".