Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Medullah posted:

Only issue with Prey is the same one as I have with pretty much any period piece, man they have super white teeth

Only 20% of people in medieval times had tooth decay (based on bones that archeologists find), as opposed to 90% in the early 20th century.

You're forgetting something very important: effective toothpaste and mouthwashes have literally be around for thousands of years, easy access to refined sugar has not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm a dumb person and bad poster, but I'm enjoying the new Beavis and Butt-Head a lot.

It's unambiguously good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The ASMR bit is one of the funniest Beavis and Butthead things I’ve ever seen

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Medullah posted:

Only issue with Prey is the same one as I have with pretty much any period piece, man they have super white teeth

That one french guy had ridiculously bad teeth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Only 20% of people in medieval times had tooth decay (based on bones that archeologists find), as opposed to 90% in the early 20th century.

You're forgetting something very important: effective toothpaste and mouthwashes have literally be around for thousands of years, easy access to refined sugar has not.

This explains why they have teeth, but not SUPER SHINY teeth. :D

TheMopeSquad posted:

That one french guy had ridiculously bad teeth.

Haha yep he popped up literally right after I posted and I nodded in approval

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Put Amber Midthunder in a movie without bad CGI challenge.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I know nothing about the source material but Sandman was ok. It was, however, relentlessly twee and the lead was terrible. The diner and death/eternal life episodes were by far the highlights.
In fact, you could take episodes five and six and treat them like a couple of really good twilight zone episodes, you wouldn’t really lose anything.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The excessive narration in the first episode was annoying but wasn't even the worst part of it in my eyes. I thought the whole thing felt very soulless and kinda assembly line-ish? Like there wasn't really any cohesion and it was just sort of all there. Decisions being made because "gotta put a camera somewhere" not because it helped tell a story.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

The HZD story is too complicated. What is cool about Predator is how streamlined it is. I would love to see a predator movie set in a different time and place every few years in the model of Prey.

Assassins Creed Vs Predator

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Prey was banging, especially loved the Comanche dub. 90 minute movie supremacy continues unabated.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Watched The Gray Man last night after missing out on the discourse a fortnight ago. Wow, what a stinker. A couple of good lines in a morass of lovely writing coupled with hyperactive editing. $200mil burnt at the altar of action Wickification. Bleh.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The ASMR bit is one of the funniest Beavis and Butthead things I’ve ever seen

I was crying laughing during the country music video. It rules.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
anyone have any interviews or other links that talk about the design process for the feral predator? that was a neat look.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So the only way to watch Prey's comanche dub is with closed captioning? Like they dont have like, theatrical eng subtitles without all the noise/sound descriptions?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Predator didn't know how its own targeting system worked?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s called prey because they sent their dumbest predator out to get owned.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Paracausal posted:

Watched The Gray Man last night after missing out on the discourse a fortnight ago. Wow, what a stinker. A couple of good lines in a morass of lovely writing coupled with hyperactive editing. $200mil burnt at the altar of action Wickification. Bleh.

Honestly I wished that they could at least take some of the good lessons from John Wick. I didn't catch the whole thing, but caught part of it from someone else watching it. I saw the big fight in the town square. And...how do you make a fight between dozens of heavily armed cops and hit teams boring? The action just snaps all over the place, like you said, just horrific editing. I was dying for some stable Wick shots where I could see a stuntman just doing his thing for 10 drat seconds. It was expensive as hell, let me loving look at some people shooting each other. Don't rip the camera all the way across the square to scream LOOK ITS A MACHINE GUN and then it fires aimlessly at bad guy red shirts and then I snap back to some other guy. And then snap to a third guy dying.

Also that fight had the villain doing the whole "How hard is it to kill a man who's HANDCUFFED TO A RAIL!" joke. Which was maybe a funny nod and a wink the first time. But then they did it like 3 or 4 more times until it just kind of sucked and felt like, yeah, this is kinda goofy and you wrote a bad action scene. Cool that you realized it, I guess :shrug:.

But yeah, $200 million to make a movie that felt like a Redbox level film with really wasted talent.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It’s called prey because they sent their dumbest predator out to get owned.
I must admit I cracked up at it just stepping into the bear trap
I'm sure all the weird expanded universe Predator poo poo has stuff about how they're honorable or some bullshit but I do like what I've seen from them in Predator and Prey, in that they're just kinda like galactic rednecks/lovely rear end safari trophy hunters that do the equivalent of killing a deer with an automatic rifle. Sure sometimes they're all like "I WILL DUEL YOU" but a lot of those kills just depend on cheap tricks like invisibility or having super crazy technology.
Like if they actually wanted a challenge they'd come down to 1700s America and just use their natural strength/whatever tools and weapons they can make when they land there. You can already lift a loving bear, just be visible and make a spear. That's a challenge.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s the only thing I was disappointed by in Prey, to the point where poo poo like the invisibility cloak and the heat vision almost felt like a “you have to include these iconic things” studio note given how little impact they had on the plot otherwise.

But then again, Predators have always been massive “I will hunt my prey with honor and also all this tech that gives me a massive unfair advantage” hypocrite dipshits. They’re the Erics and Don Jrs of the galaxy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's my own fault for watching a Predator sequel, but the most fun and compelling parts for me were like The Revenant/Northman rear end historical poo poo with them dealing with vile French trappers and hunting bears and just the setting and environment, and then eventually she's just like delivering generic lines and sliding around fighting a big goofy alien man but again what did I expect anyway.
Maybe I just didn't like the final videogame cinema duel between her and the Predator as much as I loved like, all the scenes leading up to it of Comanche and trappers just getting brutally wrecked by the Predator

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's my own fault for watching a Predator sequel, but the most fun and compelling parts for me were like The Revenant/Northman rear end historical poo poo with them dealing with vile French trappers and hunting bears and just the setting and environment, and then eventually she's just like delivering generic lines and sliding around fighting a big goofy alien man but again what did I expect anyway.

It was interesting at first when it seemed like the Predator was working its way up the food chain but then it started meleeing the trappers and the movie got very generic.

It's also funny how the Predator fights humans. I'm not a hunter but I'd think that if what you're hunting attacks you, you call it a day and go home. You don't fight it to the death.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

live with fruit posted:

The Predator didn't know how its own targeting system worked?

I thought it fired the spear things without the targeting system active earlier in the movie so it was expecting the same thing to happen at the end, but it was unaware of the location of its helmet after she took it. I thought the more incredible part was how she perfectly triangulated it to strike itself in the head, but hey, perhaps that was just a lucky coincidence and she had something else up her sleeve!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

live with fruit posted:

It was interesting at first when it seemed like the Predator was working its way up the food chain but then it started meleeing the trappers and the movie got very generic.

Honestly all the Predators at Predator High School would make fun of this guy for coming back with a wolf skull as one of his trophies. Like c'mon bro, you really gonna square up with a wolf? You're like eight feet tall and can lift a bear.
Before the rattlesnake it should have gotten spooked by a particularly mean-looking rat, killed it with a laser, and then meticulously cleaned its skull to put it on its belt.

As far as I'm concerned it only killed the Comanche-speaking Frenchman cuz it got startled by the noise he made lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno there was also that loser who couldn’t beat Donald Glover in a knife fight

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There was also also a loser Predator in Predators. Next time they want to change things up in this franchise, they should make the Predator competent.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How about a movie where the Predator visits human beings at a point in the future where they have better technology and it gets hunted.
Call it, Preydator.
Quick, someone get me 20th Century Studios.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I dunno, the original Predator fell for the ol' Giant Suspended Log trick, so really it's just par for the course.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kalko posted:

I dunno, the original Predator fell for the ol' Giant Suspended Log trick, so really it's just par for the course.

He didn’t though!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I admit it's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't he spot the spikes in front of him and then walk around to the other side instead, right where Arnie wanted him?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kalko posted:

I admit it's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't he spot the spikes in front of him and then walk around to the other side instead, right where Arnie wanted him?

No, he spotted the spikes and did not go right where Arnie wanted him, then succumbed to the Giant Suspended Log trick because he forgot to look up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly all the Predators at Predator High School would make fun of this guy for coming back with a wolf skull as one of his trophies. Like c'mon bro, you really gonna square up with a wolf? You're like eight feet tall and can lift a bear.
Before the rattlesnake it should have gotten spooked by a particularly mean-looking rat, killed it with a laser, and then meticulously cleaned its skull to put it on its belt.

As far as I'm concerned it only killed the Comanche-speaking Frenchman cuz it got startled by the noise he made lol

Reality has recontextualized The Predator into Donald Trump Jr posing next to a dead elephant

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

live with fruit posted:

It's also funny how the Predator fights humans. I'm not a hunter but I'd think that if what you're hunting attacks you, you call it a day and go home. You don't fight it to the death.

Isn’t this literally the parallel that’s being drawn with the human story? Like, the whole point of Naru’s coming of age trial is to hunt something that’s also hunting you (“it’s not about proving you can hunt, it’s about survival.”).

I do like the idea that it’s just the Predator planet sending their hot headed adolescents to kill (or die at the hands of) the hot headed adolescents of other species as some ongoing test of strength. Would watch three more movies that made that theme more and more explicit.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is entirely consistent with in-universe canon and the text of the movie.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 7, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I saw Prey and Nope yesterday, and while both were good, I definitely enjoyed Prey more

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Prey was fantastic! Though Im starting to think these Predators might not be the master hunters we've been led to believe.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

This is entirely consistent with in-universe canon and the text of the movie.
Okayy? Lol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Besides Predators, with its different tribes or whatever, has this series actually developed the Predator as character? Seems like a lot of headcannon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He doesn’t have a head cannon in the latest one

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He didn’t have a headcannon in any of them

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

The ILM docuseries on disney plus is good, but it's interesting how they spend the first several episodes slowly moving from 1977 to 1993, and then they only briefly discuss the Star Wars prequel series, and then suddenly jump forward to The Mandalorian in 2019. I guess they're just looking to avoid talking about how bad CG could be for a long time there.

Yeah, I’m enjoying it. It’s a “serious documentary”, like the Imagineering one. First two episodes are basically about how the New Hope effects were made. Third episode is Empire Strikes Back and that’s all I’ve watched so far.

It’s directed by Lawrence Kasdan which feels like an Easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Was this your first Predator movie? Fighting strong things to the death is literally the only reason why the Predator is even hunting things to begin with, man.