Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You are going to have chatrooms full of people yelling BLUNDER at every slight inaccuracy anyway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sub Rosa posted:

You are going to have chatrooms full of people yelling BLUNDER at every slight inaccuracy anyway though.

True, but I can close the chat. I can't get rid of the eval bar on the stream though, but I wish I could. Like in the Rapid Chess Championship happening at this very minute the eval bar is front and center the entire time both for the viewers and the commentators.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
In one of the championship matches I think Chessbrah didn't use engine eval on their stream. I don't know if they since relented.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I like when they avoid using it, except in circumstances where the engine is suggesting a ridiculous line no human would craft and then it's a fun sideshow novelty to explore.

Are the top engines dominant against super GMs in the rapid/blitz time controls?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

former glory posted:

I like when they avoid using it, except in circumstances where the engine is suggesting a ridiculous line no human would craft and then it's a fun sideshow novelty to explore.

Are the top engines dominant against super GMs in the rapid/blitz time controls?

Yes, it's not even close under any time controls. Stockfish and AlphaGo etc. are like 3500 Elo. Them playing Carlsen is like Carlsen playing a strong but untitled club player.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 24, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Just sent someone straight to hell with a sick rear end puzzle book quality tactic

White to move and win.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Just sent someone straight to hell with a sick rear end puzzle book quality tactic

White to move and win.

Rd7

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

1.Rd7 Rcd8

e: also 1.Rd7 Rce8

You gotta show the whole line!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

White to move and win.

Only tactic I see is
Rxg7+ Kxg7, Rd7 Qxd7, Qxd7+ Kh8, Kf1
but I don't know my endgames well enough to know for sure whether this is winning. (I assume yes because the black king is vulnerable.)

edit: oh wait, is it Rxg7+ Kxg7, Qg4+ ???, Rd7?

edit edit: Rxg7+ Kxg7, Qg4+ Qg6, Rd7 Rf7, Rxf7+ Kf7, Qd7+ K?8, Qxc8+ is another end game I'm not sure is 100% winning, but white is clearly better.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 30, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

Only tactic I see is
Rxg7+ Kxg7, Rd7 Qxd7, Qxd7+ Kh8, Kf1
but I don't know my endgames well enough to know for sure whether this is winning. (I assume yes because the black king is vulnerable.)

I looked at that during the game but I think white would need connected passers to have serious winning chances. White's maybe a bit better, but there isn't an obvious win because it's not clear which pawns the queen can pick up (the queen and king obviously can't mate on their own against the two rooks).

e: sufficient to say that "puzzle book quality" tells us that the solution is far cleaner than "good chances in an endgame."

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

[edit] looking at the analysis is it right that black can 'just' be down the exchange if the c rook doesn't join in the defence?

The game ended with 1.Rd7 Rb8 2.Rxf7 Rxf7 3.Rd3 Rbf8 4.Rd7 g6 5.Rxa7 Kg7 6.Rxf7 Rxf7 7.h4

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Esposito posted:

[edit] looking at the analysis is it right that black can 'just' be down the exchange if the c rook doesn't join in the defence?

The game ended with 1.Rd7 Rb8 2.Rxf7 Rxf7 3.Rd3 Rbf8 4.Rd7 g6 5.Rxa7 Kg7 6.Rxf7 Rxf7 7.h4

oh poo poo I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting

uhh... sorry

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hand Knit posted:

1.Rd7 Rcd8

Those are not great responses, with Rcd8 being the third best move per Stockfish and about a minor piece worse than the best and second best, and Rce8 being mate in 14 if you can find it after that.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ulmont posted:

Those are not great responses, with Rcd8 being the third best move per Stockfish and about a minor piece worse than the best and second best, and Rce8 being mate in 14 if you can find it after that.

They are attempts to refute the original move, which you have to solve if you are to play the move. Whether or not they are more or less losing on solution doesn't matter.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

1. Rd7 Qxe6
2. Rgxe7+ Kh8
3. Rh8+ Kg8
4. Rdg7++
:haw:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

1.Rd7 Rcd8

You're right, shortly after I posted I saw that the threat of back rank mate from those rook moves in response would be an issue and realized I'd have to do more work to see if it was in fact winning.

But I was at a work conference and trying not to be too obvious lol.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay I got it.

Rd7.

If ..Rcd8 then Qxf7+..Rxf7, followed by Rxd8+ leaves White up a rook.

If ..Rfd8 then Qxf7+ with mate in 1?

edited,

Hang on more to come

edited a second time because I can't read or read coordinates backwards

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 31, 2022

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

1.Rd7 Rcd8

Okay if ..Rce8 then Rxg7+..Kxg7, then Rxf7+..Rxf7 followed by Qxe8.

The key elements being

White queen pinning the black queen along the diagonal, the threat of the two White rooks mating in the corner along the 7th rank if Black's queen leaves f7, and captures with check forcing the replies.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 31, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Full points.

Got another one from my game today. Elementary themes always feel good. Maybe slightly harder than the last one or maybe slightly easier depending on your tastes.

White to move and win

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hand Knit posted:

Full points.

Got another one from my game today. Elementary themes always feel good. Maybe slightly harder than the last one or maybe slightly easier depending on your tastes.

White to move and win

Rh3 Qdoesn't-matter-it's-dead Rh8 Bh8 Qg8?

edit: I guess Qh3 is forced since that negates that mate threat

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah that’s it.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Hand Knit posted:

White to move and win

Rh3, and then it seems to me that black has to give up their queen or you can play Rh8+ Bxh8 Qg8#? Pretty hard in the sense that I think I looked at about a dozen different moves before finding this one.

edit: eh, I'm slow

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 1, 2022

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice win for the Aussies over Norway! :australia:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jit4VkyFtI

I watched about 50 eric rosen videos but I am only posting this one.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jit4VkyFtI

I watched about 50 eric rosen videos but I am only posting this one.

"Oh I missed mate in 1, I just saw push my pawn and make a horsey"

Wow, I think like an IM

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Woot, finally hit 2300 on lichess puzzles. I think I barely cracked it once before then quickly had a terrible streak and tumbled a couple hundred points after that.

I'm noticing at the 2200-2300 level of puzzle a lot of the best moves are now quieter moves that don't have a capture or check although those are still always the first ones that need to be checked. A lot of the moves have no capture/check but pose a threat that can't be answered, mate or massive loss of material.

The puzzles now often contain solutions where the opponent can actually get in a capture or check themselves, so long as it can be parried and the original threat still exists but can't be answered.

i like this puzzle because it contains both of those elements:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

1...Bxf6 2.Qxf6 Re2 3.Qxd8+ Ka7 XQa1

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Hand Knit posted:

After Ka7 there is 4.Qa5+ Qxa5 5.Kb1 and black doesn't get an immediate mate, although I assume they will be able to win eventually.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Konstantin posted:

After Ka7 there is 4.Qa5+ Qxa5 5.Kb1 and black doesn't get an immediate mate, although I assume they will be able to win eventually.

That's a lichess puzzle so I assume that it concludes after Ka7 because white has a couple of moves that are interchangeable and don't change anything (Qa5, Qb8, Qa8). Maybe it throws one of them in and concludes after the king capture.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

So, what Konstantin said.

The lichess puzzle follows your line up until ..Ka7, then adds Qa5+..Qxa5 and finally Kb1 to conclude the puzzle, White having given up the queen to disrupt the mating net, and Black playing on with material advantage but the immediate threat of mate having been neutralized.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 8, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Looks like the final standings for the Olympiad are:

Gold: Uzbekistan 19 match points (33 board points)
Silver: Armenia 19 (28.5)
Bronze: India jr 18 (32.5)

and then

India 18 (29)
Moldova 18 (27.5)
USA 18 (26.5)
Hungary 17 (28.5)
Azerbaijan 17 (27.5)
Poland 17 (27)
Lithuania 17 (27)

Cool for Uzbekistan. That's an Olympiad gold and a world rapid title for Abdusattorov. Gukesh blundering a piece against him on move 72 yesterday effectively decides the tournament. A pretty wild result for Moldova too. Kind of reminds me of Canada a couple cycles ago, an under-the-radar huge tournament and a great board score from a team of mostly IMs.

e: fun trivia: the third highest board score belongs to Georgia and Portugal, at 29.5

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
This kind of puzzle on lichess kills me, because even after I go through the engine line, I still don't really get why I got it wrong.

The first set of moves is straightforward enough: 1. ... Qxe6+ 2. dxe6 Rxf1 3. exd7 and you're up a bishop.

But what's the last move? Obviously you want to prevent the d pawn from queening, but you can do that with either Rf8 or Bf6. And one of them is -3.2, and the other is +0.6, and it's not really clear to me why - at least not as clear as I'd want a puzzle at the 1400 level to be.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That ones tough! I see puzzles like this once in a while, it can be annoying, but the rating of the puzzle is based on the puzzle rankings of the people that play it. It could literally come down to "1400 rated puzzle players are more likely to move the rook because they just moved it".

In terms of that specific move my understanding is basically that white's only hope is promoting, and you want both pieces working to defend against it. Moving the bishop blocks your own rook and opens up nice squares for white. If you start with the idea that the rook belongs on f8 and the bishop belongs on f6, then only 1 move order is possible. From my time doing lichess puzzles to me that is like a 1900-2000 puzzle idea? Something like this.

edit: here is the analysis board if anyone wants to play with it
https://lichess.org/analysis/5rk1/3n1qb1/3pQ3/pPpPp2R/P7/1P4PK/7P/5R2_b_-_-_0_1?color=black#1

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
I think it’s because you can force the black rook off f file with the king (since the bishop now blocks the 7th and 8th ranks), thereby preventing it from defending the bishop. The white rook can then infiltrate and force the bishop to trade for promoted pawn

smiling giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 9, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

rollick posted:

This kind of puzzle on lichess kills me, because even after I go through the engine line, I still don't really get why I got it wrong.

The first set of moves is straightforward enough: 1. ... Qxe6+ 2. dxe6 Rxf1 3. exd7 and you're up a bishop.

But what's the last move? Obviously you want to prevent the d pawn from queening, but you can do that with either Rf8 or Bf6. And one of them is -3.2, and the other is +0.6, and it's not really clear to me why - at least not as clear as I'd want a puzzle at the 1400 level to be.

Out of curiosity, after Bf6 does the engine give Rh6 for white? The point is that Rh6 threatens to take the bishop, allowing the pawn to queen. If black moves the bishop out of the way, say to e7, white now has Rxd6 and pawns start falling. On the other hand, if you start with Rf8, white's not infiltrating, and black picks up the pawn eventually.

I am... not a huge fan of the way lichess sorts puzzles sometimes.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
It starts with Kg2 to chase the black rook off the f file, then goes Rh6. After Be7, it goes Rxd6, or with Bd8 it goes Re6, with the threat of Rd8

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
From lichess's opening explorer I was looking at this game https://www.365chess.com/game.php?gid=3752987 and don't understand how the game ended. It doesn't look like a decisive position at first glance, and the engine says the position is pretty much equal. Did White flag? It was a blitz tournament, but the game only went 15 moves.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Redmark posted:

From lichess's opening explorer I was looking at this game https://www.365chess.com/game.php?gid=3752987 and don't understand how the game ended. It doesn't look like a decisive position at first glance, and the engine says the position is pretty much equal. Did White flag? It was a blitz tournament, but the game only went 15 moves.

I'm not an amazing player and haven't checked the optimal computer move but the thought process might have been:

1) bishop to e2 feels bad because now the rooks and Queen are stuck. If you follow up by taking the black bishop and get taken in return white has no development and black has a semi protected outpost and a few pieces developed. Computer says it's fine but it doesn't read great at a quick look, potentially

2) given you've discounted the above, I think everything else might be losing

I'm pretty surprised at how few good options black has if you try to play out the bishop line?

Edit: bishop f5 check is much more satisfying. Maybe they just blanked on the bishop?

T.C. fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sometimes what's uploaded are just game fragments, and the game in fact continued on from that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
There's video from that round on YouTube. No PGN or live board, but you can see in these shots the game did progress further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KatbqNKrwGk