Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I have a probe that I stick in the meat at the start of the cook and monitor by Bluetooth. So that’s an option if you’re concerned about opening the smoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I have a probe that I stick in the meat at the start of the cook and monitor by Bluetooth. So that’s an option if you’re concerned about opening the smoker.

I was just going to close the door on the chord and let the rubber seal it in.
I was commenting on the more brail probes

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I've been smoking for a couple years now and I don't trust smoking by the clock on anything larger than a pork chop or chicken thigh. It's incredibly important to cook to temperature on a large chunk of meat, especially when you don't know the internal fat content or liquid content.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
After nearly a decade of shared (and often broken) apartment grills, I am about to have a yard again. Soon it will be time to grill and smoke all the things.

Thinking of picking up an Akorn because I got one for my dad a few years ago and he likes it. Also because he generally doesn't clean or maintain it and it hasn't fallen apart yet. There is one available locally for $150 that looks to be in excellent condition. What are the odds it will fit into the back of a crossover with the rear seats folded down?

e: actually, I am going to spring for the one with the cart. my kid bangs his head on those stupid wing tables literally every time we visit

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 28, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Akaushi brisket BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

Slathered that bitch in dijon mustard, brown sugar, garlic, and apple cider. Gonna throw it on the smoker later tonight.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I. M. Gei posted:

Akaushi brisket BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

Slathered that bitch in dijon mustard, brown sugar, garlic, and apple cider. Gonna throw it on the smoker later tonight.

I’m going to attempt my first brisket flat this weekend :hfive:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brisket just came off the smoker; once again it didn't have an apparent stall. These Akaushi briskets are amazing.

Only problem now is I don't have an empty cooler to put it in. It's sitting on my counter wrapped in butcher paper. Guess I'll be eating it for lunch instead of dinner.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Brisket just came off the smoker; once again it didn't have an apparent stall. These Akaushi briskets are amazing.

Only problem now is I don't have an empty cooler to put it in. It's sitting on my counter wrapped in butcher paper. Guess I'll be eating it for lunch instead of dinner.

Use some old towels / maybe the oven?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Tomfoolery posted:

Yeah, my smoker can be set as low as 100F, so I will sometimes just drop the smoker temp to 100 and let the meat rest in there until the probe reports that the internal temp has come down to target.

Now that I'm thinking about it, though, sometimes I've left my pork butt to rest for probably too long. How long is the ideal time to rest, and/or is my strategy bad for some reason (allowing it to dry out? idk)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tomfoolery posted:

I didn't even think about the oven. Good idea!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I wouldn’t let it get cold resting. However, I’ve rested a butt for like five hours before in a cooler and it was still fantastic.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

What about an oven you can set it nice and low to rest in?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

After letting it sit for an hour and a half in the oven I got impatient and cut into it.

It's moist as hell and oozing juice like a waterfall, but still no smoke ring. I'm not totally thrilled with the color either. :whitewater:

Super tasty though

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 3, 2022

Carillon
May 9, 2014

When it comes to injecting is there any advantage to stock, or is it really just more important for it to be salty? I was thinking of injecting for the first time, but not sure how much the liquid matters.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
If I'm cooking a brisket at home and plan to eat it there, I have been putting it in the oven to rest because I can keep my oven steadily in the 150-170 range. If I'm planning on taking it somewhere, I get out the cooler and a towel. With either approach, it's good for a 2-8 hour rest depending on when I'm trying to serve it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Welp. I might have broken my freezer so looks like I'm going to try again tomorrow!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HootTheOwl posted:

Welp. I might have broken my freezer so looks like I'm going to try again tomorrow!

I'm intensely curious on what you did to break it. Did you suplex it from a great height? Use it as a workbench?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My first full packer brisket on a weber kettle. ~12 hours total cook time followed by a rest in a 155 F oven until serving time. Salt and pepper rub, red oak smoke.

Aggressively trimmed for the kettle:

After about 4 hours temp was around 155:

Unwrapped after resting in the oven in a butcher paper wrap:

Money shot:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I would put that in my mouth.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

My first full packer brisket on a weber kettle. ~12 hours total cook time followed by a rest in a 155 F oven until serving time. Salt and pepper rub, red oak smoke.

How'd you set up the coals? Never tried smoking anything requiring more time than ribs on a kettle myself

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Brisket money shot time? I smoked this on the 4th, but froze the point and sous vide reheated it this past weekend. Tasted just as good as the day it was smoked.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

How'd you set up the coals? Never tried smoking anything requiring more time than ribs on a kettle myself

I use a slow n' sear and then fill it with coals except for one corner. Then I light half a dozen or so and put them in the empty corner so that hopefully it will burn from one end to the other kind of like a half-assed snake pattern.

I find that I have to go in after about 4 hours and shove the lit coals back into a corner and then add more unlit coals to keep it in that 250 zone. I also use the slow n sear water trough which needs to be filled every ~2 - 3 hours or so but you can tell because the temp spikes up from 250 to 320 ish when the water is gone.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

I'm intensely curious on what you did to break it. Did you suplex it from a great height? Use it as a workbench?

My wife overfilled one of the baskets and basically left the door open. Thankfully it was a lot of panic over nothing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HootTheOwl posted:

My wife overfilled one of the baskets and basically left the door open. Thankfully it was a lot of panic over nothing.

Whew!

For thread content, I think I'm gonna try smoking a prime rib standing rib roast tomorrow.

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.

First time I've been able to smoke a brisket in 8 years

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LtK posted:

First time I've been able to smoke a brisket in 8 years

You still got it

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
gently caress I need an excuse to smoke a brisket soon, this is killing me.

For this weekend I'll take a rack of ribs out of the freezer to defrost, that'll hold me over. I need to defrost this turkey, as well, to do up soon.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

I use a slow n' sear and then fill it with coals except for one corner. Then I light half a dozen or so and put them in the empty corner so that hopefully it will burn from one end to the other kind of like a half-assed snake pattern.

I find that I have to go in after about 4 hours and shove the lit coals back into a corner and then add more unlit coals to keep it in that 250 zone. I also use the slow n sear water trough which needs to be filled every ~2 - 3 hours or so but you can tell because the temp spikes up from 250 to 320 ish when the water is gone.

ah yeah the SNS is great- did you wind up having to trim the bottom vents at all or did it just maintain 250 w this method?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

ah yeah the SNS is great- did you wind up having to trim the bottom vents at all or did it just maintain 250 w this method?

I close the bottom vents entirely and just adjust the top vents to hold low temps.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The Inkbird thermometer discussed a few pages back is now $50 on Amazon after a 50% off coupon. Been dithering on whether to lay out big bucks for a Signals but that's cheap enough I'll take a flyer on it.

https://a.co/faGCpU9

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
For anyone else using an MES and pellet tubes: what do you do with the chip loader? Do you leave it in? Pull it out halfway? Remove it entirely?

Not really sure what the best play here for that is. I've been pulling it out entirely but I don't know if that's making too much smoke somehow.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I always just pulled it out halfway during smokes to allow for some airflow.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

So here’s a question…

I feel like I’ve had better luck with my ribs being more moist when cooked at 275. No crutch or wrapping.

Tomorrow I’m cooking a bunch of stuff at 225. Eventually I will throw on a rack of ribs. My question is, if I generally notice my ribs are dryer at 225, should I try wrapping them in something like foil or butcher paper tomorrow???

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got some of the best ribs I ever made by doing a slightly modified version of the 3-2-1 method, where I added about a cup of liquid during the wrapping phase instead of a small spoonful. It partially boiled the ribs in the foil and gave me a perfect sweet spot between tuggably chewy and fall-off-the-bone tender. 10/10 would recommend.

I'm planning to do it again in about a week or two. I'll try to remember to post pics next time.

EDIT: Should add that they were St. Louis cut ribs, in case anyone else wants to try it.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 6, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have a question about pellets.
I got the maze and then today I got a butane torch to light it. So I put about a fistful of pellets in the maze, and I got the first few pellets to light (a flame appeared). So then I put the maze in the smoker to wait ten minutes and left to mow the lawn. When I came back only the first few pellets I lit looked like they burned and the rest didn't get hit. Is there something I missed?

Link this:

Zarin posted:

For anyone else using an MES and pellet tubes: what do you do with the chip loader? Do you leave it in? Pull it out halfway? Remove it entirely?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

HootTheOwl posted:

I have a question about pellets.
I got the maze and then today I got a butane torch to light it. So I put about a fistful of pellets in the maze, and I got the first few pellets to light (a flame appeared). So then I put the maze in the smoker to wait ten minutes and left to mow the lawn. When I came back only the first few pellets I lit looked like they burned and the rest didn't get hit. Is there something I missed?

Link this:

Isn't there a kind of lighter fluid gel you use to help light the flame? I forget what it's called but I think someone here suggested it to me awhile back when I had the same question.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
First use a propane torch instead of butane and keep the flame on the pellets for a good 60 seconds. Also you want to pack them in pretty well.

I have both the maze and the tube - I find the tube stays lit a little better than the maze.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 6, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaddish posted:

First use a propane torch instead of butane and keep the flame on the pellets for a good 60 seconds. Also you want to pack them in pretty well.

I have both the maze and the tube - I find the tube stays lit a little better than the maze.

Thanks but why propane instead of butane?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Thanks but why propane instead of butane?

Propane torches get hotter/ put out more flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Kaddish posted:

Pretty much this. You want those pellets/chips to pretty much be glowing coals before you leave the tube to its own devices.