Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
It does not take a lot of training to learn to use what's in that kit, and even if you don't know how to use it, someone helping you might.

That said, it definitely won't help with small scrapes and cuts, but I think any old packaged first aid kit will be good for that as long as you keep it fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what's the recommended router nowadays? i'm getting tired of the poor 5g range on my current one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

baram. posted:

what's the recommended router nowadays? i'm getting tired of the poor 5g range on my current one.
5ghz inherently has a shorter range. You might need to get a pack of mesh routers or something else if you don't have enough range

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We have a relatively small but concrete-heavy place and have good results with the TP-Link AX3000.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Trabant posted:

We have a relatively small but concrete-heavy place and have good results with the TP-Link AX3000.

Seconding TP-Link, I've got a set of 3 X20s in that covers 4 floors and a mid size yard, and my spouse who is 90% WFH has no issues up in her office or the patio at the end of the yard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
looking for a really good insulated cup with an extremely secure lid for taking a smoothie to work and it staying cold for at least 5 hours so I can have it cold during lunch

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

looking for a really good insulated cup with an extremely secure lid for taking a smoothie to work and it staying cold for at least 5 hours so I can have it cold during lunch

Hydroflask is the easy answer, or any of the knockoff variations thereof if the price is a put off. The hydroflask lids are very, very secure so I wouldn't worry about them at all but if you go with one of the knockoffs, read the reviews to make sure they have a good lid. Otherwise just pick a fun color that you like and the appropriate size and you're good to go.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'm fans of YETIs but they're like twice as expensive as the rest of the brands. They do work well tho and were the only ones I found that said it was dishwasher safe.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Seconding Yeti, I got a 32oz insulated mug for a gift and it's incredible. The sliding opening on the lid is magnetic and can be taken off so you can wash that little bit too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I use a zojirushi for my coffee and it’s lid is both secure and also locks. I haven’t messed with cold stuff too much but temp isolation works both ways afaik.

As for Yeti, I’ve found that the Orca jug my buddy gave me works just as well as my tumblers so that may be a viable option as well.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Just to quickly comment on the Router.

I've used the Google Mesh system and it used to work extremely well, but then had a lot of issues with speeds. Sometimes certain devices would still be connected but would just crawl to unusable speeds. I've done a few searches and tried various methods but with no success.

I've since swapped to the TP-Link Deco system, and it's been amazing. Better coverage and better speeds.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Same. We have google nest can I can't download faster than 12 megabytes (100 megabits)/s despite having a faster connection than that. It's super hassle free set up though and I don't download enough stuff where the speed reduction is an issue. Latency is fine.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
I've started wearing long sleeve sun shirts like this one in the summer to avoid the annoyance of constantly having to put on sunscreen. They're relatively loosely fitting, breathable, and block the sun.

What I'd like is some equivalent sort of pants for men. I wear shorts a lot because they're lightweight and breathable but they leave me having to put sunscreen on my (very hairy) legs which is really annoying.

Does anyone have any recommendations for light weight, breathable, sun blocking pants that don't make the wearer look like a slob (sweats) or a gangster (wind suits)?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
PrAna and Mountain Hardwear both make something akin to what you’re looking for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

7of7 posted:

I've started wearing long sleeve sun shirts like this one in the summer to avoid the annoyance of constantly having to put on sunscreen. They're relatively loosely fitting, breathable, and block the sun.

What I'd like is some equivalent sort of pants for men. I wear shorts a lot because they're lightweight and breathable but they leave me having to put sunscreen on my (very hairy) legs which is really annoying.

Does anyone have any recommendations for light weight, breathable, sun blocking pants that don't make the wearer look like a slob (sweats) or a gangster (wind suits)?

I’ve got a pair of Patagonia joggers that are exactly this that I’m super fond of. Same deal with Prana though those are a bit thicker and more hiking oriented. REI carries both. And while I’ve not tried their longer offerings, all the Lululemon stuff I’ve ever gotten would be good for this, though that’s going to be pretty pricey and likely not too loose fitting. Deffo going to check out one of those shirts.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

yeah check out REI if you have one near you. I have Prana and Patagonia pants from the discount rack there that I've taken camping and they work great for what you're describing. I got some used North Face pants that are a bit heavier but still work well, I think I like my Patagonia ones the best.

Like wearing nothing at all. nothing at all. nothing at all

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Railriders EcoMesh are some of the lightest pants around. They're expensive though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think it’s time I got a dash cam. I haven’t ever looked at them, can I get something well hidden that comes on with the car and just records over itself when it runs out of room? I basically want something that takes care of itself until I need to pull recent footage for any reason. Does that exist?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rolo posted:

I think it’s time I got a dash cam. I haven’t ever looked at them, can I get something well hidden that comes on with the car and just records over itself when it runs out of room? I basically want something that takes care of itself until I need to pull recent footage for any reason. Does that exist?

Every dashcam works like this, some automatically lock a recording if a sensor is triggered. You have to attach it to a switched outlet so it records and runs only when driving.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Lots of them these days are set up so that you just pop them into a a fuse that runs when the car does. They’re pretty neat and look a lot better than trying to wire things into the cigarette doohickey.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Warbird posted:

I’ve got a pair of Patagonia joggers that are exactly this that I’m super fond of. Same deal with Prana though those are a bit thicker and more hiking oriented. REI carries both. And while I’ve not tried their longer offerings, all the Lululemon stuff I’ve ever gotten would be good for this, though that’s going to be pretty pricey and likely not too loose fitting. Deffo going to check out one of those shirts.

Dance McPants posted:

yeah check out REI if you have one near you. I have Prana and Patagonia pants from the discount rack there that I've taken camping and they work great for what you're describing. I got some used North Face pants that are a bit heavier but still work well, I think I like my Patagonia ones the best.

Like wearing nothing at all. nothing at all. nothing at all

Thanks! I'll check out the Patagonia pants. I have some Prana hiking pants that are great as well so that's a good call for that Flanders fresh feeling.

Happiness Commando posted:

Railriders EcoMesh are some of the lightest pants around. They're expensive though.

These are super interesting. It's not a brand I'd seen before but I'll definitely check them out.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have a bunch of railriders stuff that I want to buy (their sun shirts/pants are supposed to be top of the line) but never do because I’m too cheap

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Can anybody recommend a sub-$100 "smart" floor lamp that can switch between warm and daylight color temperature, preferably one that's very bright? It's one of those things where there are a million nearly-identical products on Amazon all with slight variations in price and features. I don't really care if it can do RGB, but I have an office that's very dark during the day. Running warm lights during the day makes me feel like an alien, and daylight at night is even worse, so being able to switch between the two is the main feature I'm after.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I've been using Wiz smart lights; they're not super bright individually but I got a 3 bulb lamp with them that's worked well. I think at home depot it's like $32 for 4. They're the cheaper version of Phillips hue.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Brother Tadger posted:

I have a bunch of railriders stuff that I want to buy (their sun shirts/pants are supposed to be top of the line) but never do because I’m too cheap

I typically hike in EcoMesh pants and a journeyman shirt. I bought my first set in 2017. Put a couple thousand miles on them and bought new ones in 2021. But their Mojave sun shirt looks interesting too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought the Midea air conditioner, the one that's a top seller on amazon and lets you close your window 80% of the way even with it installed. It's an incredible thing, absolutely get one if you need a new air conditioner. It's famed for being basically silent, keeping a room cold with little difficulty, and using very little electricity, and on all of those counts it excels. My dinner-plate-sized fan is louder than this air conditioner, every other air conditioner I've used has made my UPS hub make its "warning click" when the air conditioner turns on, indicating it's struggling over the energy, but this one hasn't set it off a single time. And previous aircons would need to be set at 68 degrees to keep my room at like 75-80 because it's a very hot room, but this one I can set to 75 and it keeps it at actually 75 without effort, and circulates the air much easier than others.

It's expensive, like 350 bucks, but it was 100% worth it and I am considering getting a second one to replace the aircon downstairs too. Installation was intimidating but turned out to be much easier than expected, since most of the parts included are just there to adapt to any possible window type, I didn't use like 75% of the parts included. Amazing machine, and supposedly it's energy star rated to only costs like 40 bucks worth of electricity to run for a summer, though I don't know how accurate that is.

Captain Invictus posted:

okay, so I didn't expect these to work as well as they did, but it's loving mindblowing how fast they worked, so I'm sharing it here. We recently had an infestation of Indian Meal Moths, likely from a 50lb bag of rice I bought a bit back, and I recently expunged them. Haven't seen more than one or two for days now. Just to be on the safe side, I ordered Dr. Killigan's Pantry Moth Traps to see if it would catch any.

I set up a single trap in my kitchen area, then went to take a shower. Came back out, and it looked like this in the trap(not my image, but basically the same):

I set up a second one downstairs, the setup step recommends setting the trap up in triangle form, then waving it around the room to spread the pheromone scent. I did so downstairs and LITERALLY IMMEDIATELY, before I could even set the trap down, about a dozen male moths flew out of random locations they had been hiding and made a beeline for the trap.

it's staggering how effective it is. If you have Indian Meal Moth problems, these are extremely effective at catching the adult moths(males only though, females have to still be killed manually). There's a bunch of reviews comparing them with other similar style traps and it blows the others away in effectiveness.
also, quoting this to say that I still have the same three traps I set up in the above quote all those months ago, still in the same places, and they are STILL catching pantry moths even now. We got rid of most of the infestation but pantry moths are notoriously hard to eradicate entirely. These traps are definitely putting in the work on this new resurgence, checked and 4 new moths showed up in one since yesterday.

God I hate these little shits. The only flaw with the traps is it only catches male moths, and a shitload of them at that, which does definitely impact their reproduction, but not catching the females means it's harder to wipe them out entirely. But yeah, a near-perfect product.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I dunno if anyone has ever plugged it here, but we have a lot of plants in the house, and with that you inevitably end up bringing in fungus gnats at some point, and so we picked up a couple of Katchy traps. They work an absolute charm on gnats, moths, houseflies and any other (smallish) flying insect that might find its way in. I'd bet one would help carry you that last bit to fully eradicating them from yours.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

We’ve always used vinegar and a bit of dish soap, but if that actually works on mosquitoes I might pick one up. It amazes me we don’t have better ways of killing the little bastards, this won’t make the yard safe, but I can work with the house being clear of suckers.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Can anybody recommend a sub-$100 "smart" floor lamp that can switch between warm and daylight color temperature, preferably one that's very bright? It's one of those things where there are a million nearly-identical products on Amazon all with slight variations in price and features. I don't really care if it can do RGB, but I have an office that's very dark during the day. Running warm lights during the day makes me feel like an alien, and daylight at night is even worse, so being able to switch between the two is the main feature I'm after.

Why not get any lamp and grab a white hue bulb.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why not get any lamp and grab a white hue bulb.

This is the way.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Any recommendations for a decent living room area rug?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harriet Carker posted:

I've heard great things about Ruggables.

https://ruggable.com/

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

m.hache posted:

I've heard great things about Ruggables.

https://ruggable.com/

Bought some a year and a half ago, wouldn't buy again. They shed little plastic black poo poo all over our floors from the Velcro pads.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have a ruggable, it's fine and we haven't had issues with the black velcro bits, but they do seem to wear down quickly in what is basically a medium traffic area. Honestly, if you're after a particular design that's hard to find, they aren't the worst, but the pricing leaves a lot to be desired.
The ability to wash them isn't very appealing to me when I have to find a way to move our heavy rear end dining table off of it in the first place.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ruggables are just meh. They are fine for a kitchen or hallway rug, but at the prices they charge, you can get something better (and prettier).

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Brother Tadger posted:

Ruggables are just meh. They are fine for a kitchen or hallway rug, but at the prices they charge, you can get something better (and prettier).

Such as…?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harriet Carker posted:

Target has a lot of nice rugs online and in store and the prices are great. I’ve always liked theirs.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We get some from costco. Their stock goes in and out seasonally and you can't really count on any particular style or pattern, but what we gave gotten has been stellar.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Any suggestions for aftermarket backup cameras? The head unit takes composite input and I'm okay with tearing up the inside of the car for wiring, although I'm not looking forward to it. License plate mount is probably in my future though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Can anyone suggest a “value” Instant Pot? I’m looking to get a small one for my wife and I.
6qt ?
There are so many choices on Amazon and I’m not sure what I need. They seem to be anywhere from $79 to $300 and I’d prefer closer to $79-100 but I don’t want to get a crappy one either.