Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Hyperlynx posted:

There's no keyboard in this song. Garnet isn't doing anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cblLkkZeM1g

Also the previous episode involves Stephen's laundry including a pair of socks. He doesn't wear socks! He's never in anything other than flip-flops.

This is like the billionth time I've watched this series...

Looks like they also cut out the super gay look they give each other during that fusion dance :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Looks like they also cut out the super gay look they give each other during that fusion dance :argh:

Wait what? I must admit I didn't actually watch the youtube vid all the way through...

...oh my loving god, you're right. What the hell?! Of all the shows to do that to, too!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In two+ decades on the internet, I've read lots of stories of people who claim their friend/brother/cousin/just someone they know (sometimes even themselves) got a DUI from just a beer or two, from doing something as mundane as just walking to their car, in their own driveway, just to get their wallet, or phone, or something. Usually done to point out the absurdity of the rigidness/unfairness of DUI/DWI laws.

They're almost certainly lying. They likely got a REAL DUI and just told that BS story to their friends and family to cover their rear end.

Am I saying no one has ever gotten a DUI from something more innocuous, like just "sleeping it off" in the car? Sure, it's probably happened. But in the more extreme versions of "I was just walking out to to car" stories, you have to weigh that against the probability a cop happened to be RIGHT THERE, and also figured the guy just HAD to have been drinking if he's doing something as bizarre as...getting something out of the car?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Everyone I know who's gotten a DUI has their version of the story that is almost certainly altered to make them appear a victim, but never something so weird as getting a DUI while walking to the car? Although one of my friends claims that a year or two before we met, he got a DUI but was able to fight it in court because he doesn't drink.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

credburn posted:

DUI but was able to fight it in court because he doesn't drink.

Ahh, the age old "Butt-Chug defense." Smart.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I guess he likes beer. Worked for the supreme court :shrug:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hyperlynx posted:

There's no keyboard in this song. Garnet isn't doing anything.

https://youtu.be/0m2ImnAEqSw

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DrBouvenstein posted:

In two+ decades on the internet, I've read lots of stories of people who claim their friend/brother/cousin/just someone they know (sometimes even themselves) got a DUI from just a beer or two, from doing something as mundane as just walking to their car, in their own driveway, just to get their wallet, or phone, or something. Usually done to point out the absurdity of the rigidness/unfairness of DUI/DWI laws.

They're almost certainly lying. They likely got a REAL DUI and just told that BS story to their friends and family to cover their rear end.

Am I saying no one has ever gotten a DUI from something more innocuous, like just "sleeping it off" in the car? Sure, it's probably happened. But in the more extreme versions of "I was just walking out to to car" stories, you have to weigh that against the probability a cop happened to be RIGHT THERE, and also figured the guy just HAD to have been drinking if he's doing something as bizarre as...getting something out of the car?

The scariest DUI story in the world was told by Stephen King.

In it he and a friend had been on a bender and they were driving along a Maine road probably in the winter early in the morning after the bars had let the local writers out.

He and this dude were going hellbent for leather when out of the snow or the mist there comes a child's bicycle or tricycle. He (or dude) swerves misses. Maybe

Then they examine the car look for the kid/trike don't see much damage no blood or bent bike metal. Ultimate conclusion, nothing. No way of knowing if what you just read was real or not because he was drunk.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hyperlynx posted:

Wait what? I must admit I didn't actually watch the youtube vid all the way through...

...oh my loving god, you're right. What the hell?! Of all the shows to do that to, too!

I mentioned this to a friend, and she said that's how it aired in some parts of the world :(

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Bob Barker's 98 years old, and, relatedly, didn't die like 10 years ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Our only future is to die and people are kinda sad about it or just to be considered dead until proven otherwise, and people are kinda unnerved by it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

I mentioned this to a friend, and she said that's how it aired in some parts of the world :(

Largely to appeal to Russia (to a point where a whole plotline in Regular Show was edited to turn Russia-as-antagonist into some random Country X) as I'm to understand it.

So, yaknow, appeasing to fascists always works a treat!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Pneub posted:

A hero for vegans like me.
A villain for people like me who don't like powerful white men creating an immensely toxic environment for every person who works with them but especially women who are subject daily to his toxic behavior and

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pneub posted:

Did you know Bob Barker is a human and not a series of dogs stacked on top of one another? I had always just assumed based on the name

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The Bob Barker Company supplies prison with overpriced prison soap and shampoo, also. If you've ever served a prison sentence, you absolutely have used their products.

https://www.bobbarker.com/history

Not related to the Price is Right guy.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

ConanThe3rd posted:

Largely to appeal to Russia (to a point where a whole plotline in Regular Show was edited to turn Russia-as-antagonist into some random Country X) as I'm to understand it.

So, yaknow, appeasing to fascists always works a treat!

Yeah I want to say in SU there's a few countries that dubbed Ruby as a boy? so her relationship with Sapphire would appear to be a straight one. Kinda reminds me of how the original 90s English dub of Sailor Moon literally changed the gender of Zoisite and Fisheye because they were more on the feminine side/liked to crossdress

I did not just figure this out but I remember learning about Zoisite in particular blew my mind as a kid, lol

Edit: re: the aforementioned SU clip, it looks like the upload on Cartoon Network's official channel is in tact/shown how it originally aired and the UK version is the one that got edited down. Lmao

vv :yeah: I remember learning about that too, what an incredible "gently caress you" to the international censors tbh

Blood Nightmaster has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Jul 30, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Yeah I want to say in SU there's a few countries that dubbed Ruby as a boy? so her relationship with Sapphire would appear to be a straight one. Kinda reminds me of how the original 90s English dub of Sailor Moon literally changed the gender of Zoisite and Fisheye because they were more on the feminine side/liked to crossdress

I did not just figure this out but I remember learning about Zoisite in particular blew my mind as a kid, lol

This is why (SU s5 spoilers)Ruby wore a dress for the wedding, and Garnet is shown in a wedding outfit during an extremely plot-relevant fight immediately afterwards. You can keep the wedding and have Ruby-as-a-boy in a dress, or you can cut it entirely and lose.... a whole lot of things that make the plot make sense and make it obvious something was cut.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

credburn posted:

The Bob Barker Company supplies prison with overpriced prison soap and shampoo, also. If you've ever served a prison sentence, you absolutely have used their products.

https://www.bobbarker.com/history

Not related to the Price is Right guy.

Speaking of incarceration, I didn't know until I got to be in a cell with another person that there is a method for tying knots to your bedsheet so it fits snugly around the foam mat you sleep on. Also, in the women's side, you are supposed to change clothes in the bathroom stall, and not just openly in your cell (I thought hey we are all girls here, right?? wrong).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you know Bob Barker is a human and not a series of dogs stacked on top of one another? I had always just assumed based on the name

"PREVENT MORE ABOMINATIONS LIKE US! REMOVE OUR REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS. WE BEG OF YOU, HUMANS, AS FELLOW SENTIENTS"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The infamous Wilhelm Scream which has been used in countless movies, TV shows, video games etc was most likely performed by credited voice actor Sheb Wooley who worked as an actor in a ton of cowboy films (High Noon, Giant, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Silverado, etc) and TV shows (Rawhide, Cheyenne, Lone Ranger, etc) but he also had a musical career as a comedic "singing cowboy" type whose most well known hit is probable Purple People Eater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ijazUjX_4

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
8 Mile Road in Detroit is named not because it’s 8 miles long, but rather because it’s 8 miles from the south boundary of Wayne County.

I just realized this because I live in Michigan, but the rural roads in my county going north-south are numbered 1st, 2nd, etc, starting at the western boundary of the county, and the east-west roads are lettered A avenue, B avenue, etc, starting at the northern boundary. But in the next county to the east, the north-south roads are named for how many miles east they are from the western county line, e.g. 19 and 1/2 Mile Road. And then Wayne County does it a third way.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm in Macomb County and the mile roads are convenient as hell for locating stuff (and knowing your north/south position/direction). Until you cross the county line and the numbers give way to unhelpful regular road names. :argh:

This is how we get Metropolitan Parkway --> 16 Mile Road --> Big Beaver.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I grew up in an rural area where all the county road names go down to fractional precision in terms of distance from the south/west county border (e.g. 700N is 0.7 miles up from the border), and it took me way too long to realize that wasn't just the standard everywhere*. I didn't figure out the Eight Mile title until after college because I'd never noticed that naming convention for mile roads before.

*which it should be, because it's the most useful :colbert:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My mom's aunt lived in (then) rural Orlando and her unnamed street just became known as [her first name] street.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sucrose posted:

8 Mile Road in Detroit is named not because it’s 8 miles long, but rather because it’s 8 miles from the south boundary of Wayne County.

It's 8 miles north of the river, which I guess is technically the same thing. The next several roads north of it are not in Wayne but keep the same naming convention or alternate names.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It was also a racial divide!

Stuff I'm finding out there is an actual wall!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Wall

I was born at a hospital on 9 mile, my parents confirmed that was the white side.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

*sits bolt upright*

CAST KATIE NOONAN AS ROSE QUARTZ!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The etymology of the word 'helicopter' isn't heli + copter but helico (Greek helikos "spiral", as in "helix") + pter (Greek pteron "wing", as in "pterodactyl")

The 'p' should be silent

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

turns out agoraphobia is just agora phobia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The etymology of the word 'helicopter' isn't heli + copter but helico (Greek helikos "spiral", as in "helix") + pter (Greek pteron "wing", as in "pterodactyl")

The 'p' should be silent

I refuse to acknowledge this, and will never act upon it :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

I refuse to acknowledge this, and will never act upon it :colbert:

Yeah I can't actually imagine that anyone would ever pronounce it that way, they'd have to be psychotically pedantic

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The 'p' should be silent

No it shouldn't. It's normal in English for a letter in a word root to be silent or not depending on whether it's at the beginning of the word. For example, "gnostic" vs "agnostic". If anything, "pterodactyl" should have a non-silent "p", since it's not silent in Greek.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
But the 'o' should be long, I'm sure we can all agree

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DontMockMySmock posted:

No it shouldn't. It's normal in English for a letter in a word root to be silent or not depending on whether it's at the beginning of the word. For example, "gnostic" vs "agnostic".

You guys have been pronouncing the 'g' in 'agnostic'????

Uncultured swine!! :monocle:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Tough thing to acknowledge, but here we are

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Aug 9, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

You guys have been pronouncing the 'g' in 'agnostic'????

Uncultured swine!! :monocle:

idk, haven't decided yet :shrug:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
helicooter

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

moonmazed posted:

helicooter

That spiral pussy got me acting strange

:wotwot:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
do not gently caress the spiral pussy. this is how you get uzumaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Failed Imagineer posted:

That spiral pussy got me acting strange

:wotwot:

I'm sorry, that would be helicocooter, this is actually a spiral otter.