Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Some things just aren't for everyone. I'm your opposite. I could never get into BG1. I can never get into the low level D&D combat. I've bounced off it a bunch of times but had no trouble with BG2.

I have the same problem.

Skwirl posted:

I haven't tried it, but I read a write up by someone who solo'd Watchers Keep with a jester their song has a chance to confuse creatures and you can sing while invisible.

They patched that out, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I have the same problem.

They patched that out, sadly.

I had an iron man run end very unceremoniously because I didn't know this.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
How is Solasta compared to bg1/2? Worth playing?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

kneelbeforezog posted:

How is Solasta compared to bg1/2? Worth playing?

I've looked at it a bit, but I'll have heard about it is 'very slow'.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's 5e rules and turn based, so I don't think it's at all similar.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Solasta is D&D 5e in videogame form, more or less exactly to the letter. It's more interesting as a system and a framework for gameplay (which is good, if sometimes slow when you run into yet another group of goblins or orcs you have to kill turn by turn) than the story, which I found uninteresting. I hope that eventually it'll be like anew Neverwinter Nights, as an engine/system for period to make cool custom campaigns and stories in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Just finished Durlag's Tower in my latest save.
Demon Knight wasn't too bad - got him on my second attempt; turns out that having your melee pop Frost Giant potions is a great way of chunking him down fast.

Aec'le'tec went down on the first try. The cultists in Ulgoth's Beard provided just enough XP for Imoen to hit level 9 Mage, which meant Cloudkill and... yeah, that trick still works if your Mage also has a Wand of Fire.

I'm not touching Shandalar's bullshit quest or Furry Island, though. So now it's just finishing off the city and then it's on to SoD.

Demon Knight goes down quickly even on SCS as long as you can avoid having your entire party get dispelled.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rythian posted:

Solasta is D&D 5e in videogame form, more or less exactly to the letter. It's more interesting as a system and a framework for gameplay (which is good, if sometimes slow when you run into yet another group of goblins or orcs you have to kill turn by turn) than the story, which I found uninteresting. I hope that eventually it'll be like anew Neverwinter Nights, as an engine/system for period to make cool custom campaigns and stories in.

Woah, didn't realise Solasta was (apparently) easily moddable. Just checked the Steam workshop for it and there's 150 player modules out there (some being localisation duplicates, but still). Gonna keep an eye out for sales.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
IIRC the demonknight goes dispel -> power word: stun -> fireball then he starts meleeing whoever he stunned. You can avoid the stun by using the greenstone amulet (bought in Ulgoth's Beard) after his dispel.

Aec'Letec's paralyze/silence/death gaze are nullified by potions of magic shielding. He still hurts a lot but you can send whoever he's picking on upstairs and he won't follow them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kingturnip posted:

Just finished Durlag's Tower in my latest save.
Demon Knight wasn't too bad - got him on my second attempt; turns out that having your melee pop Frost Giant potions is a great way of chunking him down fast.

Aec'le'tec went down on the first try. The cultists in Ulgoth's Beard provided just enough XP for Imoen to hit level 9 Mage, which meant Cloudkill and... yeah, that trick still works if your Mage also has a Wand of Fire.

I'm not touching Shandalar's bullshit quest or Furry Island, though. So now it's just finishing off the city and then it's on to SoD.

I wanna hear reports of SOD! I love that campaign.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Rythian posted:

ToEE but for 5e, essentially?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I'm playing BG1 as a regular berserker and its been going well. My current companions are Imoen (she's good with a bow and arrow, idk how to make use of her backstab ability in the middle of the day.), Khalid (mostly I use him for shooting things with a bow and arrow too), Jaheira (Healing and melee), Minsc (shooting with an arrow until they get close, then go ham with the 2 hander) and Edwin (I plan to replace him with Dynaheir, although he doesn't have sleep the way Neera did). Right now I'm heading to the gnoll stronghold and having trouble with the encounter with the bandit and hobgoblins since the hobgoblins have bows too. What's a good way to deal with that encounter? Also, I feel like my healing is a little weak, but that might be because I'm around level 2 and 3. Resting sure doesn't heal that much and it can make things difficult with timed quests which is a shock when coming from Neverwinter Nights where you can rest whenever there aren't enemies.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Backstabs: you have to be hidden and positioned behind the enemy, using a melee weapon available to the thief class. If there are enemies within sight of the thief then their hide will always fail. It's probably not worth doing until you get to a higher level, but positioning your thief behind an enemy mage or cleric before you engage can be a great way to instantly take someone out. Unfortunately your early levels will probably go to open locks and find traps out of necessity.

Base healing is tiny in BG, like 1 or 2hp per rest or something. What heals you when you rest is the characters with healing spells memorised (looks like only Jaheira) should autocast them. So make sure she's got healing spells memorised, given your group makeup I'd say that's more important than any of her other level 1 spells aside from remove fear.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Also, for the dude not grokking BG2 there's 2 important early items that massively streamline healing:

1 - pickpocket Ribald for his ring of regeneration. It's pretty slow but it's always ticking over as you wander around in between fights and any sort of 4-8hr map transition or rest is a full heal.

2 - the cloak of the sewers from a rakshasa hiding in the Temple sewers gives you access to 1/day troll form which comes with a quick acting regen, good for a 1/day full heal for your main warrior.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

2 - the cloak of the sewers from a rakshasa hiding in the Temple sewers gives you access to 1/day troll form which comes with a quick acting regen, good for a 1/day full heal for your main warrior.

gently caress, 20 odd years of playing this dumb game and I'd never thought to use it in this way.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Use it to turn CHARNAME into a mustard jelly before completing the Trademeet quest with the mayor for some extra fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm playing BG1 as a regular berserker and its been going well. My current companions are Imoen (she's good with a bow and arrow, idk how to make use of her backstab ability in the middle of the day.), Khalid (mostly I use him for shooting things with a bow and arrow too), Jaheira (Healing and melee), Minsc (shooting with an arrow until they get close, then go ham with the 2 hander) and Edwin (I plan to replace him with Dynaheir, although he doesn't have sleep the way Neera did). Right now I'm heading to the gnoll stronghold and having trouble with the encounter with the bandit and hobgoblins since the hobgoblins have bows too. What's a good way to deal with that encounter? Also, I feel like my healing is a little weak, but that might be because I'm around level 2 and 3. Resting sure doesn't heal that much and it can make things difficult with timed quests which is a shock when coming from Neverwinter Nights where you can rest whenever there aren't enemies.

Berserker was the very first class I took through all of BG1 and 2. It’s a great “first time” class because it doesn’t require such a high degree of control. My second (and favorite) play through was a Sorcerer. And that is hands down the most fun class. I’m still bitter af that Baeloth isn’t in BG2, because he’s awesome and i love sorcerers.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I'm starting to think that I'm underleveled for this way to the gnoll stronghold. My average party level is 2. Is there somewhere I can get some more experience or better equipment? I don't have a ton of money since I splurged on a +1 long sword.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm starting to think that I'm underleveled for this way to the gnoll stronghold. My average party level is 2. Is there somewhere I can get some more experience or better equipment? I don't have a ton of money since I splurged on a +1 long sword.

Get a sleep spell somehow. Maybe a wand of sleep at High Hedge; can't remember if it's sold there and/or in your price range. But in general, I always ignore the Gnoll Stronghold until at least after the Nashkel Mines.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Did you find the ankheg plate in the field in Nashkel?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dillbag posted:

Use it to turn CHARNAME into a mustard jelly before completing the Trademeet quest with the mayor for some extra fun.

I can't remember how exactly but I think you can get a full team of different monster transformations on the plinths with a bit of planning.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

I can't remember how exactly but I think you can get a full team of different monster transformations on the plinths with a bit of planning.

Let's try and guess. Counter-clockwise from CHARNAME: Flind is one of the shape-shifts from Polymorph Self; bear is a druid form; you can get wolf from that, Polymorph Self or Relair's Mistake; Mustard Jelly was already mentioned as both from the sewers cloak and Polymorph Self, troll is available from the sewers cloak, werewolf is Shapeshifter's class specialty.

This group didn't include a spider, boo!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The wolf is Jaheira, the werewolf is Cernd, the bear is Wilson. Last two companions could be anyone.

Edit:. I may have forgotten Charname's slot. It's been a while.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 7, 2022

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

ToEE but for 5e, essentially?

With graphics that suggest what NWN could have been if it were released today, with all that entails. It's not the prettiest game, but it looks ok for what it does. I liked it and they're still releasing updates to the toolset. On release, no fan-made modules had merchants, but they've apparently added that, other stuff and plan to keep doing so for at least a while.

You create a four-person party (max) and you sometimes pick up temporary NPCs, but the interaction is mostly superficial if it's not tied to the plot. One thing that's pretty well-done is verticality. There are enemies that fly and the eponymous spell is in the game, too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The real test of whether it can succeed NWN as a platform is how well it can support persistent worlds. That's a steep hill to climb considering that NWN has a decade-plus of making this work now, and the game is still receiving improvements. Just recently the NWNx team found a way to speed up area loading times by a factor 100x in singleplayer and between 10x to 50x in 100-player multiplayer environments.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

rojay posted:

With graphics that suggest what NWN could have been if it were released today, with all that entails. It's not the prettiest game, but it looks ok for what it does. I liked it and they're still releasing updates to the toolset. On release, no fan-made modules had merchants, but they've apparently added that, other stuff and plan to keep doing so for at least a while.

You create a four-person party (max) and you sometimes pick up temporary NPCs, but the interaction is mostly superficial if it's not tied to the plot. One thing that's pretty well-done is verticality. There are enemies that fly and the eponymous spell is in the game, too.

I would never play multiplayer, but I am sure that there are plenty of good SP mods and this sounds like a game where one is punished for buying the GOG version because there are tons of mods only available through Steam.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wanted to slow down my posting since I'd gone back and forth a bit on if I would even continue playing BG2, and did spend an evening playing Kingmaker instead, but I'm glad to say I'm well and truly over the hump, I'm in Chapter three now and nothing has really been too bad, feels largely comparable to BG1. I don't know if I just got more comfortable with BG2, or if my party leveled up some, or if I was simply stuck on a particularly frustrating dungeon. I sort of think it was a combination of all three; but it's been pretty smooth sailing since then.

I wanted to ask though, about Anomen; he [spoiler]Got kicked out of his order during his test, probably because had a low reputation probably because he murdered that girl! But anyway, he got kicked out and there's still a lot of dialogue between him and Keldorn, and how he's still to be taking his test soon, and Anomen didn't really have any sort of "follow-up" dialogue after the quest - is this just a slight inconsistency in the writing or is something maybe wrong with my quest/playthrough?

Also, It's absolutely stark how much more stingy BG2 is with reputation. Unwittingly participating in that killing is the only reputation negative effect I've done, and the short list "good" things I can think of are:

• Clearing the keep
  • Saving the boy from the dungeon in Windspear Hills
  • Saving the village from the darkness
  • Thwarting a god drat mind flayer cell

My reputation is, I dunno, 9? I'm still being bombarded by "shape up and fly right" barks.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
There are 13 reputation +1 opportunities in SoA (excluding new EE content, don't know about those). Here's my checklist:

[ ] Promenade - Circus (talk to Amnish soldier after)
[ ] Slums - Girl in slave ship (give her gold)
[ ] Slums - Free the slaves quest
[ ] Bridge - Tanner quest (find proof before exposing him)
[ ] Bridge - Pawn Neb's head at the government district during the illithium quest
[ ] Temple - Complete the unseeing eye quest
[ ] Temple - Complete the fallen paladins quest (order of noble heart)
[ ] Trademeet - Complete druid and genie embargo quests (don't poison the grove)
[ ] Trademeet - Resolve the family feud (give the item to the mayor)
[ ] Trademeet - Save the young couple from skin dancers (tanner quest must be done first)
[ ] Umar hills - Complete the shade lord quest (don't ask for reward when accepting quest)
[ ] Underdark - Free the human slaves in the drow city (arm them)
[ ] Underdark - Free the slaves in the mindflayer city

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I wanted to slow down my posting since I'd gone back and forth a bit on if I would even continue playing BG2, and did spend an evening playing Kingmaker instead, but I'm glad to say I'm well and truly over the hump, I'm in Chapter three now and nothing has really been too bad, feels largely comparable to BG1. I don't know if I just got more comfortable with BG2, or if my party leveled up some, or if I was simply stuck on a particularly frustrating dungeon. I sort of think it was a combination of all three; but it's been pretty smooth sailing since then.

I wanted to ask though, about Anomen; he [spoiler]Got kicked out of his order during his test, probably because had a low reputation probably because he murdered that girl! But anyway, he got kicked out and there's still a lot of dialogue between him and Keldorn, and how he's still to be taking his test soon, and Anomen didn't really have any sort of "follow-up" dialogue after the quest - is this just a slight inconsistency in the writing or is something maybe wrong with my quest/playthrough?

Also, It's absolutely stark how much more stingy BG2 is with reputation. Unwittingly participating in that killing is the only reputation negative effect I've done, and the short list "good" things I can think of are:

• Clearing the keep
  • Saving the boy from the dungeon in Windspear Hills
  • Saving the village from the darkness
  • Thwarting a god drat mind flayer cell

My reputation is, I dunno, 9? I'm still being bombarded by "shape up and fly right" barks.

You can always increase your reputation by donating to the church, there's tables of how much it costs out there I'm sure but at 9 it's probably 500 or 1000 for a point of rep or so.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fffffffffffffffff I entirely forgot about that mechanic! I've had a negative reputation for sooo long!

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I did find the ankheg plate and now I'm doing the nashkel mines and its a much better fit for the levels my party is at. However I'm all out of healing and to recover spells I need to rest, which causes a bunch of kobolds to attack, and I'm not sure what the best solution is for that issue. Right now I think the biggest danger is my weaker party members getting owned by enemies' ranged attacks and the only solution for that is to get them first.

Right now I'm using Neera and planning to replace her with Xan when I meet him down in the mines, but I don't know whether to keep Xan or Minsc and Dynaheir when I get to them. I can keep both but then I'd need to replace Jaheira with Branwen or Viconia (which I can easily do) but I'm not sure who I'd replace Khalid with. I would have 2 melee characters with my berserker MC and Minsc so that slot could be anything. Imoen's been pretty good for thief stuff but I haven't made any use of her backstab at all.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is something wrong with Harper's Call in BG2?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is planescape torment okay to play on switch/android, or does it not really work? I've tried to start it a couple times on PC, but I have trouble sticking with it, because I prefer to play games like it on a couch or in bed.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 8, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of contracting my fights out to a surrogate party of five skeleton warriors and a dryad. I just wait around the corner and watch the combat logs and wait for the xp.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of contracting my fights out to a surrogate party of five skeleton warriors and a dryad. I just wait around the corner and watch the combat logs and wait for the xp.

If you've got a druid, don't overlook the level 6 fire elemental summon spell too. The bear summons at the same level are good too :sickos:

The level 7 mage spell Mordenkainen's Sword is also very good, they're immune to physical damage.

Then once you get HLAs your mages can summon planetars, which can basically solo the game for you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is planescape torment okay to play on switch/android, or does it not really work? I've tried to start it a couple times on PC, but I have trouble sticking with it, because I prefer to play games like it on a couch or in bed.

as long as you avoid an area called the modron maze (optional area for an optional party member - you can have a full party without them, they're kind of an easter egg), you shouldn't run into the save reset bug.

i've heard it's not great in other smaller ways, but it's the maze that can permafuck your save.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

bike tory posted:

If you've got a druid, don't overlook the level 6 fire elemental summon spell too. The bear summons at the same level are good too :sickos:

I've developed a perverse joy in turning the weapon immunities back onto the game. I used skeletons for the beholder heading up the eyeless cult and flame elements for undead - I greedily watch the combat log to see their bullshit powers fizzle on my bullshit powers.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Skeletons is how I beat the beholders before I knew about the anti beholder shield.

Then again this was my first run of the game and I had a shakey understanding of a lot of things, but the one thing I understood was anything could be beat with enough summons.

My go to strategy for poo poo like the super mages was just to bury them in bodies and keep summoning until their protections timed out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Skeletons is how I beat the beholders before I knew about the anti beholder shield.

Then again this was my first run of the game and I had a shakey understanding of a lot of things, but the one thing I understood was anything could be beat with enough summons.

My go to strategy for poo poo like the super mages was just to bury them in bodies and keep summoning until their protections timed out.

Amusingly enough skeletons are still the strategy against Beholders even on SCS. The reason for that is on SCS the Beholders will use a ray that strips the beholder shield from you lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I never enable the improved beholders in SCS because gently caress beholders.

My favorite use of skeleton warriors was the time one of the mages on Ice Island killed himself with a Skull Trap cast point blank on my skeleton while my actual party was offscreen.