Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Dandelions are early sources of pollen for bees. They're good! I pull the biggest ones and don't worry about smaller ones. If there's more than I like I'll use a few targeted shots of broadleaf weed killer, but overall I don't worry too much.

I also purposefully spread clover seed to keep the yard greener and provide more flowers for bees.

This year I spread wildflower seed mix in an 8' wide meadow border in my backyard. Next year I'll probably do the same in an area of the front yard with some decorative grasses.

We were traveling + it's been hot did not mow the back yard for the entire month of July. There were approximately 1000x more bugs (ton of grasshoppers, jumpy small things, some beetles) when I mowed yesterday than in previous weeks in the spring

Of note, mosquitoes are also pollinators

I am also pro dandelions. Not sure if your watering schedule matters in this heat, everything goes dormant eventually, but of note, the dandelions, at least in the two comparison photos, seem to make your neighbor's yard look greener

Anything that has thorns on it, or makes a big flat mat (like a dinner plate) gets pulled, everything else is mostly fine IMO. There's a growing "no mow may" movement to improve biodiversity in suburbia which has got to be the lowest effort form of functional environmentalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zarin posted:

Do you purposely not mow that 8' wide strip to let it run wild like that?

Correct. I mowed it on the lowest setting, tossed seed, and haven't mowed since. I'll probably give it a mow at the end of the season.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A thing you can do in a wildflower meadow, if you aren't a purist, is to sow scylla and crocus and other short bulbs in it. In my parents' house, we sowed some of the toughest small bulbs in the lawn, and delayed the first mow of the year until their leaves were withering.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why bulb flowers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Why bulb flowers

they're a great store of value, better than NFTs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tunicate posted:

:hmmyes:

Analog_Kid
Jan 26, 2011

the spirit of the radio

Tunicate posted:

Non-Floral Tokens are always inferior

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just make sure if you're storing them in a warehouse, you get fire insurance

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hadlock posted:

Why bulb flowers
Probably because they grow/bloom really early in the year, then mostly die off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

Why bulb flowers

Because they start being beautiful in the early early spring or late winter. Crocuses often bloom above the snow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Crocuses rule. Digging though the turf and clay soil at my house does not rule.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Officially no longer a landlord hurray

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because they start being beautiful in the early early spring or late winter. Crocuses often bloom above the snow.

Snowdrops are great for that. They're the first things that come up in our yard. I'm nearly sure they're not actually a type of crocus, but they might be. The crocuses we have come up just bit later, but sometimes with snow still on the ground.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Crocuses rule. Digging though the turf and clay soil at my house does not rule.
This is why you bring out the cordless drill. You can buy special drill bits for planting bulbs.

Yeah, snowdrops are awesome. Gophers got mine last year. :( :( :(

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gophers or squirrels?

Squirrels will dig up any area that smells like freshly-turned earth and/or is otherwise soft. The little fuckers also love to eat tulip bulbs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the magic incantation for an LG dryer to do ""1970s style bone dry clothes" instead of "EPA tree hugger damp but mostly dry"? (we're on nuclear power here)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is why you bring out the cordless drill. You can buy special drill bits for planting bulbs.

You mean planting flowers is an excuse to buy power tools now? This is an underrated perk of flowers I was not aware of

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hadlock posted:

What's the magic incantation for an LG dryer to do ""1970s style bone dry clothes" instead of "EPA tree hugger damp but mostly dry"? (we're on nuclear power here)

You mean planting flowers is an excuse to buy power tools now? This is an underrated perk of flowers I was not aware of

Timed dry.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife thanks you

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

clean out your dryer vent from connection to exterior?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Gophers or squirrels?

Squirrels will dig up any area that smells like freshly-turned earth and/or is otherwise soft. The little fuckers also love to eat tulip bulbs.
Nope, gophers. I can see their runs and their holes.

Death to all rodents, say I. And Bambi, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BTW, snowdrops are Galanthus nivalis, while all crocuses are subspecies of, you guessed it, Crocus. Scilla are also beautiful and very early bloomers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

clean out your dryer vent from connection to exterior?

That's not how high efficiency driers work

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I have an LG and it definitely leaves clothes still damp even though the vent is clear and clean. I think the moisture sensor is too sensitive and shuts off the cycle early.

We usually just let it go, then clean whatever lint off the filter, and then set a second cycle for timed dry for another 20 on medium to finish. That's usually ends up with less overkill than just starting with timed dry and guessing.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 7, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

esquilax posted:

I have an LG and it definitely leaves clothes still damp even though the vent is clear and clean. I think the moisture sensor is too sensitive and shuts off the cycle early.

We usually just let it go, then clean whatever lint off the filter, and then set a second cycle for timed dry for another 20 on medium to finish. That's usually ends up with less overkill than just starting with timed dry and guessing.

It’s this, kinda.

Most of it has to do with the type of clothes, and the amount of clothes. If there’s not enough clothes, the sensor doesn’t fire right and shuts off early. If you get a ball of clothes where the stuff on the outside of the ball never is rotated to the inside it happens too.

Timed dry is the override where it ignores the sensor.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Unrelated to dryer chat our master bedroom door had squeaky hinges for years. I decided to regrease them today and now they are silent and it is incredibly weird.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

That's not how high efficiency driers work

https://www.lg.com/us/support/video-tutorials/maintenance-laundry-dryer-CT10000011-1428690638456

“Get your dryer ducts cleaned annual to help maximize your dryer's performance”

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

pmchem posted:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/video-tutorials/maintenance-laundry-dryer-CT10000011-1428690638456

“Get your dryer ducts cleaned annual to help maximize your dryer's performance”

My dryer duct is completely clean and I have the same issues he mentioned with my new LG dryer. The moisture sensors and everything just kind of suck on the new units.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nwin posted:

My dryer duct is completely clean and I have the same issues he mentioned with my new LG dryer. The moisture sensors and everything just kind of suck on the new units.

that's fair, but lol at the concept of high efficiency dryers somehow removing the need to clean dryer ducts

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

pmchem posted:

that's fair, but lol at the concept of high efficiency dryers somehow removing the need to clean dryer ducts

ventless dryer

not that this is the style hadlock has but they exist now

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

nwin posted:

I'm thinking that excess dust can hurt the functioning of the moisture sensor (it probably measures air resistance) but since my manual doesn't say what the moisture sensor looks like or where it is to wipe it down - and I'm not going to do exploratory surgery on my gas appliances - it may as well just be a crappy sensor from the factory.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

esquilax posted:

I'm thinking that excess dust can hurt the functioning of the moisture sensor (it probably measures air resistance) but since my manual doesn't say what the moisture sensor looks like or where it is to wipe it down - and I'm not going to do exploratory surgery on my gas appliances - it may as well just be a crappy sensor from the factory.

It's in the tub. It gets wiped down every time you put a load of wet laundry in it and turn the dryer on.

Trust the people telling you that these moisture sensors all just suck. When brand new with the "perfect" load of laundry they only occasionally leave it dry. It only gets worse from there.

I'm 99.9% sure that they are actually configured this way because it gives them better numbers on the energy star sticker, just like how the new speedqueen washers have a "normal" setting that uses less water but doesn't actually clean clothes so you just have to use the "heavy" setting all the time.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Motronic posted:

just like how the new speedqueen washers have a "normal" setting that uses less water but doesn't actually clean clothes so you just have to use the "heavy" setting all the time.

this is so incredibly garbage about newer appliances

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hypnophant posted:

ventless dryer

not that this is the style hadlock has but they exist now

These suck - we used one in an airbnb once and needed to run a full cycle like 4 times to get the clothes actually dry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

an iksar marauder posted:

this is so incredibly garbage about newer appliances

“Donald Trump was right about one thing” I tell myself as I’m punching out flow restrictors in my shower heads

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

devicenull posted:

These suck - we used one in an airbnb once and needed to run a full cycle like 4 times to get the clothes actually dry.

the heat pump technology supposedly works much better than the old condensers, but i only used one briefly in kuwait where your clothes will dry out in a few minutes indoors on their own so i can’t really speak to it

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
If I set my LG dry level to “very dry” or whatever the max is, the sensor driven cycle sometimes is actually completely dry but yeah often I need to run some timed dry after that.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
in the same boat for dryer sensor stuff. I always set it to Very Dry and depending on the size of the load, 20 min timed dry afterwards is needed. I've had to do it with the LG dryer at my old house and my new Samsung now

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Some days I hate being a loving homeowner:

1. Horrible storm last night, neighbors loving tree dumps a huge limb in my yard. 15 foot long, 4 inches thick. It bounced off her roof and just fell into our side yard, and I let her know because she should check her roof for damage. She thanks me and then starts talking about how the old owner of our house would help her pay for tree maintenance, and its like, gently caress that, your tree, I'm not paying poo poo - that loving tree has already cost me $3800 in water damage from clogging my gutters. Spend two hours using a handsaw to trim this out so I can haul this away.

2. Garage door lock is mysteriously broken.

3. Go to grab paint in the basement, hot water heater is leaking.

4. Tenants left a bunch of poo poo on the sidewalk and I guess we now need to haul it away?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We actually did not bring our ventless combo washer/dryer with us to our new house so we're using a 240v electric unit. It just so happens our house came with almost identical generation LG washer/dryer

That said, our ventless washer/dryer was amazing and had no issues drying

This is the model we had, would buy again in a second if we had to move back into an apartment/condo without washer/dryer hookups: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIAP2ZY

Being able to put in dirty clothes and 4 hours later, pull out clean, dry clothes is amazing. Just throw clothes in at bedtime, wake up to clean dry clothes as god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

nwin posted:

Well, boo.