Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think Vancouver and Atlanta are the main hubs for animation in North America (tax breaks I assume) so it's like a 50/50 chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's a Titmouse LA and Titmouse NYC, too. I worked on Pantheon and while most the team was LA, we did have a few NYCers and a fellow in Belgium. Meetings must've been hell for that poor dude.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Das Boo posted:

Don't worry too much! The pay was a little lower, but I had a good experience there. It varies show to show, but our production staff did an excellent job protecting us from grind. They're also unionizing with TAG, so the pay rates should improve. The biggest, most consistent complaint was that the studio was located in dangerous, no-parking Hollywood. They had just set up a Burbank studio before covid which, had I ever been called to work on site, I'd have been put there. I honestly enjoyed my time there more than at Nickelodeon.

I don't have a lot of specifics as the meeting ended up being mostly about our particular production's security. (We're a 2D Superman show with a small budget, so we were assured that our potatoes are also too small.) I'm told HBOMax isn't getting axed because it's extremely successful, but the reality bs is likely. This all seems like the typical "raze the projects of those before me" sort of thing meeting the short-term financial outlook of investors. They're demonstrating what a good deal this is! by going draconian. The good news for us VB fans is that they're focused on grand gestures of execution with multi-multi-millions behind them. It's absolute poo poo for the folks that worked on these projects, but silver linings. :(

I'm told Netflix is the result of an unsustainable business model. They went wild with producing every little thing for years and didn't get the expected return. And then when covid restrictions lightened and investors saw Line Go Down (even though of course it loving did, who couldn't predict that), there was panic and they started slashing everything.

Be sure to take this all with a grain of salt as it's what I've been able to glean from the overly polite and safe corporatese used to discuss these matters. It's as best as I can determine.

Appreciate your insight! It's so upsetting since animators work so hard and are constantly written off and jerked around by the industry at large. The work you guys do is incredible and I hate how expendable you all are treated. Don't even get me started of VFX studios, that poo poo makes me so mad

Anyway, this article just dropped so I don't know if that changes anything

https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-discovery-kids-content-cuts-1235085523/

Some other animators and show runners I'm following on Twitter don't seem terribly optimistic. poo poo sucks, I feel awful for you guys.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Das Boo posted:

There's a Titmouse LA and Titmouse NYC, too. I worked on Pantheon and while most the team was LA, we did have a few NYCers and a fellow in Belgium. Meetings must've been hell for that poor dude.

i once simultaneously had to manage teams in mumbai, palo alto, boston and sofia (bulgaria), i have no sympathy for that dude at all

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My wife is in a different WarnerMedia arm and isn't surprised at all about any of this. She's like look at the CNN+ debacle. Of course they were going to cut stuff left and right.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Das Boo posted:

(We're a 2D Superman show with a small budget, so we were assured that our potatoes are also too small.)

Wait, is that the one that has had screenshots making the rounds recently? I vaguely recall the phrase “power bottom Superman and black jimmy Olsen”. If so, it looks super neat.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Warbird posted:

Wait, is that the one that has had screenshots making the rounds recently? I vaguely recall the phrase “power bottom Superman and black jimmy Olsen”. If so, it looks super neat.

go on.....

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm just gonna post up outside Jackson Publick's studio and take down anyone that goes near it unless they're carrying a pizza or a bag of groceries.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Happy Landfill posted:

Appreciate your insight! It's so upsetting since animators work so hard and are constantly written off and jerked around by the industry at large. The work you guys do is incredible and I hate how expendable you all are treated. Don't even get me started of VFX studios, that poo poo makes me so mad

Anyway, this article just dropped so I don't know if that changes anything

https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-discovery-kids-content-cuts-1235085523/

Some other animators and show runners I'm following on Twitter don't seem terribly optimistic. poo poo sucks, I feel awful for you guys.

VFX is a whooole 'nother beast. What I hear of that and the gaming industries are... kinda horrifying, if I'm being honest. I hope you're faring well.

It's awful, but I'm not shocked to see the Ellen cartoon get axed. I kinda wondered how that was gonna shake out when all that initial bad press on her came out. Boomerang was a little surprising since it's almost all old syndications, but I confess I'm not certain how the channel would profit outside of cable packages. Don't think many folks are streaming Snagglepuss shorts.

Our producers and showrunner were pretty adamant in their belief that our production is safe. I can't speak for the producers as I don't really know them, but the showrunner's a friend and I would 100% trust him to tell me (or us, really) if there was reason to be concerned. If it ends up happening, it will be despite what he currently knows.

Warbird posted:

That's the one! I'm not a Superman fan, but I genuinely enjoy this interpretation. Clark is such a good himbo lad and tries so hard to get Lois and Jimmy to behave. He just tries so hard.

Also I can't stop making jokes about Jor-El's butt cheeks. They don't just clap, they applaud.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Das Boo posted:

VFX is a whooole 'nother beast. What I hear of that and the gaming industries are... kinda horrifying, if I'm being honest. I hope you're faring well.

Oh, I'm not VFX, just sympathetic to the plight of workers :ussr:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
project complete

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Nice work Manolo!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I feel so bad for everybody working for any branch of Warnermedia. They already had the one buyout with all its layoffs and cutbacks and the "no more fiefdoms" edict that was to end the comparable autonomy of, say, Turner, and then they get bought by a loving reality TV network much, much smaller than themselves who's just gonna' do all the same poo poo but much, much worse than last time.

Capitalism bad. Shocker, I know.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

This is Newark Brrroaad Street - Next stop Hooboken.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pablo gbscobar posted:

Nice work Manolo!

You’re paying for the quality

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

well back to watching foreign shows, was a nice revival period thanks to Netflix but we're back to garbage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Hmm. ‘Whatever’, indeed! So wise, Manolo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How the gently caress did discovery manage to buy Warner Brothers anyway it doesn't even make sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How the gently caress did discovery manage to buy Warner Brothers anyway it doesn't even make sense.

They took out a 40 billion dollar loan, and now they are trying to pay it back by destroying what they bought.

Imagine taking out a mortgage, buying a house, then ripping out all the wiring and appliances to sell to pay off the mortgage. Meanwhile, you have tenants living in the house complaining that you got rid of something they were using, and you bring in a lovely toaster oven you had in your storage unit and tell them it's the same thing. Eventually they all move out and you have to sell the skeleton of a house for scrap and the lesson you learned is that people don't want to live in houses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's all an AT&T money laundering scheme. 71% of Warner Bros. Discovery stock is owned by AT&T shareholders. It was a way to offload the debt of Warner Brothers to a brand new company and have it stop weighing down AT&Ts financials.

TECHNICALLY Discovery didn't buy Warner Bros. A new parent company was formed that owned Discovery and took out a loan to buy Warner Bros.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

We're watching The Producers happen in real time without even getting the delight of watching Gary Beach (rip) perform Springtime For Hitler.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 6, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is the majesty of the leveraged buyout. They started in the 80s, and this is how Willard made his billions. The goal is to find a cash rich target or one that is undercapitalized. Arrange a purchase price that is good with the current owners. Then you create a shell company that will take on debt to get that price. There will be a little bit of money pitched in from the sponsor, but almost all of the debt will come from banks and institutional investors usually in the form of secured bonds.

Shell company absorbs target wholly and now target company has to pay back the debt that was taken on to buy the company in the first place. First thing shell does is issue a dividend of all available cash to new owners. Next, they cut corners everywhere they can in order to reduce costs so that their excessive debt can be serviced by just incoming cash flow. Next, the spend 5-8 years servicing debt and passing any excess cash to owners. At the end, exit via sale (typically another LBO with a different sponsor), IPO, or bankruptcy. In the first two cases, sponsors will cash out 7-10x what they invested at a minimum. In the last case, the sponsor still makes a good amount of profit, and the bondholders now own the shell because of the convertible notes. They proceed to strip the company for its parts OR offload it via sale to someone else. Either way, they come out ahead as well. Because the sponsors operate shell properly and at full arm's length, they're not liable for anything.

An example of an LBO leading to cut corners - Breyers. This used to be one of the top ice cream companies in the country. Since their LBO, I believe a majority of what they sell can no longer be legally sold as ice cream in the USA. The onerous regulations they fail to meet: 1) at least 10% milkfat and 2) must weigh at least 4.5lbs per gallon. They've replaced certain amounts of dairy with non-dairy items and they overwhip the mix filling it with more air so you get less dessert per volume.

KB Toys is another LBO story except that one ended up with a dead company. Hertz has been through multiple in their lifetime, iirc.

I had a class in my masters in finance program with a guy who did LBOs for a living - first as an employee of capital groups and now on his own. I asked him about the moral implications of what he does. His retort was that they're giving failing companies a chance to survive when they otherwise wouldn't.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had a class in my masters in finance program with a guy who did LBOs for a living - first as an employee of capital groups and now on his own. I asked him about the moral implications of what he does. His retort was that they're giving failing companies a chance to survive when they otherwise wouldn't.

I guess whatever helps that dude sleep at night but he's a vampire. And not the good kind like from TV

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

I guess whatever helps that dude sleep at night but he's a vampire. And not the good kind like from TV

100% and he knew i had contempt for what we learned. i still had one of the best grades in the class lol

It is weird being an unrepentant commie in business school.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KB Toys was doomed anyhow.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Capitalism thrives on innovation and creates value.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mantis42 posted:

Capitalism thrives on innovation and creates value.

It amazes me that some people actually believe this.

Edit: Not saying you do, just in general

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Sash! posted:

KB Toys was doomed anyhow.

But Toys r Us wasn't! :argh:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I thought Sears was the best example of "was bought out and then ran head first into the ground." It was full of good capitalism stuff like having departments in the same store compete with each other for money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sataere posted:

It amazes me that some people actually believe this.

Edit: Not saying you do, just in general

It is really hilarious that people believe it. Just go to the grocery store, pick an aisle, grab a bunch of items and look on the back. Chances most of them are made by the same parent company. Choice under capitalism is an illusion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

limp_cheese posted:

I thought Sears was the best example of "was bought out and then ran head first into the ground." It was full of good capitalism stuff like having departments in the same store compete with each other for money.

I think the CEO in that case was a true believer in all that poo poo.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Was Sears run into the ground? I thought it was a bonehead decision around the dotcom boom to focus entirely on brick and mortar stores because this online shopping thing was just a fad.

e: I bought my refrigerator from them a couple years ago cause they had the best price. Two days before it was supposed to be delivered, I got a call waking me up at 7am on a Saturday telling me that it didn't show up on the truck and it wouldn't be there on Monday. It was one of the very few times in my life that I was rude to a call center employee. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

But Toys r Us wasn't! :argh:

TRU is actually getting a revival - they're opening toy departments in Macy's for the holiday season.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Phenotype posted:

Was Sears run into the ground? I thought it was a bonehead decision around the dotcom boom to focus entirely on brick and mortar stores because this online shopping thing was just a fad.

e: I bought my refrigerator from them a couple years ago cause they had the best price. Two days before it was supposed to be delivered, I got a call waking me up at 7am on a Saturday telling me that it didn't show up on the truck and it wouldn't be there on Monday. It was one of the very few times in my life that I was rude to a call center employee. :v:

It was most definitely run into the ground.

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/4385-failing-to-plan-how-ayn-rand-destroyed-sears

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Sears was run into the ground by its libertarian owner, who was such a big fan of Ayn Rand that he decided to have every division of the company compete with each other so as to demonstrate how laissez-faire capitalism always outperforms central planning, even in the context of a business. So for instance the IT department and the Human Resources department became distinct businesses, with their own presidents and boards of directors etc., and in order to get any IT work done the HR department had to draw up a contract with the IT department for an agreed upon rate, meaning the HR department kind of needs its own IT chief, its own legal team for writing said contracts, etc.

While other department stores were facing stagnation, most have managed to transition into the modern era. Places like Best Buy, Target, and Walmart demonstrate that physical spaces are still important for a lot of products, including the expensive household things like beds and appliances that Sears was known for. Sears began bleeding out when its owner decided that every division of the company should undercut and sabotage every other division

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot of lol that comes from when people actually take capitalist propaganda seriously and are allowed to put it into practice.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat I just assumed Sears fell to what happened to a lot of the other old-style department stores and faded away. Lmao that it was murdered by a dumbass libertarian. I miss the Sears Outlet stores the most, could find decent deals on stuff if you got lucky. I think I still have a suit I got on the cheap in the closet.

Double loling at the idea of contracts for service between departments at the same company!. Taking IT to court because they were taking too long to fix a login issue with my Outlook lmao

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DaysBefore posted:

drat I just assumed Sears fell to what happened to a lot of the other old-style department stores and faded away. Lmao that it was murdered by a dumbass libertarian. I miss the Sears Outlet stores the most, could find decent deals on stuff if you got lucky. I think I still have a suit I got on the cheap in the closet.

Double loling at the idea of contracts for service between departments at the same company!. Taking IT to court because they were taking too long to fix a login issue with my Outlook lmao

That's what kills me. What was the dispute resolution system like? How do you even measure success rates between income and non-income generating departments? Security decides to just not deal with shoplifting in electronics because the department head pissed them off? Human Resources suddenly drops in the rankings because the toy department got a slightly larger than expected income boost from the Christmas season?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arbitrary quotas! One of my favorite details about Randian Sear was that turf wars would spring up for space in the weekly circulars, as well as for basic office supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The tragic thing about Sears is that it was amazon for a century before amazon existed. You could order anything through the sears catalog since the late 1800s. Sears could have transitioned the catalog to an online marketplace and dominated. Instead, they turned to infighting, and it destroyed the company forever.