Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

but wrath of man was _really really bad_

it was so bad. i want that time back so i can have watched prey twice. or even slammed my hand in the car door instead and still had time to hit up urgent care. either or really
lets cast jason statham, an actor known for his effortless charm and fluid physicality, and make him a brooding block of wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

man i effortposted my recs and yall play me like that

i'm not familiar with those

serious answer (and unfortunately gets comparison to ASoIaF) a little hatred (age of madness #1) by joe abercrombie is pretty good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

serious answer (and unfortunately gets comparison to ASoIaF) a little hatred (age of madness #1) by joe abercrombie is pretty good

I really liked Abercrombie's first law series.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pynchon is another author i'd recommend although most of his works aren't really science fictiony.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

it’s downhill from there. there’s a scene near the end of the third book that partially redeems the series but it’s overly repetitive, predictable, and lots of meta blairite drivel by the middle of the second. even in the first one it’s overly reliant on having characters talk but not discussing relevant plot points in order to advance the narrative on the rails Abercrombie had in mind. overall it’s a big step down from First Law

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Pynchon is another author i'd recommend although most of his works aren't really science fictiony.
I love Pynchon.

Pynchon ur mom's butt 😏

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/70sscifi/status/1555978518978211840

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I love Pynchon.

Pynchon ur mom's butt 😏

:monocle:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought wrath of man was perfectly fine 5:30 pm on a sunday filler, but yeah, it's not a particularly great film.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i love cheesy action and heist movies and we're just gonna have to disagree on that one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there wasn't even a single shot of jason statham doing pull ups with his shirt off. NOT EVEN ONE. zero is the wrong number for this metric

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Achmed Jones posted:

lol oh no there is insufficient world building in the movie for children!

i do realize that this is a case of peoples differing expectations going in, but it's still very funny to me

It'd be fine if it was a standard run and gun action movie but it's very clearly trying to make the point that trying is bad, despite all the world building they've done suggesting world building is a good idea. It's especially weird where buzz lightyear is supposed to be this self unaware character and the entire move is about knowing your role is society, which for buzz I think is to just sit down lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you haven't seen the new Nathan Fielder show, you should. It's genuinely incredible, and it's made me laugh hard so many times.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i watched the first episode of it and totally agree. nathan fielder is absolutely a genius

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Truman Peyote posted:

i watched the first episode of it and totally agree. nathan fielder is absolutely a genius
it gets wilder and wilder from there. it makes nathan for you look like child's play it gets so byzantine

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im watching Prey w commanche dubs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

hell yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kenny Logins posted:

it gets wilder and wilder from there. it makes nathan for you look like child's play it gets so byzantine

The 4th episode got me so good. I almost fell off my chair laughing at the ending.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The actor's apartment reveal was also so funny.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They are never going to allow him to do anything like this again.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe posted:

update: it was pretty good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

why

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because it's the hip thing to do right now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

They like How

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/crassjerkneck/status/1555545586836946945

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

https://twitter.com/hostagekiller/status/1555922851567468547?s=21&t=_hxEhwmNElpj7DcbBOmqcQ

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dudes rock

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

it’s downhill from there. there’s a scene near the end of the third book that partially redeems the series but it’s overly repetitive, predictable, and lots of meta blairite drivel by the middle of the second. even in the first one it’s overly reliant on having characters talk but not discussing relevant plot points in order to advance the narrative on the rails Abercrombie had in mind. overall it’s a big step down from First Law

thank you, you're the second person to recommend that. i'll check out First Law instead of continuing with age of madness

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

First Law is really a lot of fun. and there’s even some good characters in the second trilogy, although Rikke’s the only one I’d call likable or relatable, and even then, barely (e: Orso brings it around in the end I guess). I don’t know why he went from “let me tell a cool story about a ragged band of adventurers and have the societally deleterious of finance capital be an overarching sinister background theme” to “you know what, when you think about it the French Revolution was pretty bad too actually. and don’t even get me started on the alternatives.” he was doing such a good job with the former

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 7, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i watched the sandman and it was a little too british twee for me. reminded me of good omens.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gee wonder why

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I watched all of The Sandman and thought it was very good.

Kind of poo poo CGI in places, in the way that all fantasy TV shows are these days, but was otherwise a fun watch.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

I watched all of The Sandman and thought it was very good.

Kind of poo poo CGI in places, in the way that all fantasy TV shows are these days, but was otherwise a fun watch.
computered
good
inough

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah i liked sandman a lot, though there was definitely some Buffy Monster of the Week effects at times.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Gee wonder why

i havent read any of the source material so i couldnt say if this is an issue with the show productions or if its neil gaiman's writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I found it entertaining and liked how most episodes seemed to be standalone vignettes with their own casts, though that was a little discordant after the whole world went sex and murder crazy and then seemed to forget about it by the next episode.