Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The dock needs a charger that meets PD standard, the switch itself can charge off of any usb charger more than 1 watt

Whether there's some hidden off-standards thing nobody knows about lying in wait to brick your switch if you use the wrong charger, nobody can say. It's not likely, but it has happened once already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would spend the extra $15 tbh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Woooo! Just got a SWOLED, and I'll be selling my regular (and regularly overhesting) switch to gamestop. I'm currently transferring my account info as well as my wife's. I have a question though, my sons each have supervised child accounts no email address associated with them. How do I transfer those over? They're supervised under my main account (and a part of our family plan), and I'm not yet finished moving my account over; will the option be there for that?

Edit: nm, it allows for a Nintendo ID, which works for me.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 6, 2022

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

pentyne posted:

If I'm buying an AC adapter, is the Nintendo one for $30 still the preferred safe option or are the $15 off brand ones fine to use?

3rd party is fine for controllers, I would only gently caress with OEM for power supply stuff. Even if it's industry standard form factor.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pentyne posted:

If I'm buying an AC adapter, is the Nintendo one for $30 still the preferred safe option or are the $15 off brand ones fine to use?
What are you looking to do with it? If you're replacing the AC adapter that came with it for use with the dock then get the OEM one. You might get a third-party adapter to work with the dock, but just get the OEM one.

If you're looking to charge the Switch itself and not use it with the Dock them most any third-party PD charger will be fine and most will be smaller (and even cheaper) than the OEM one. Read this page.

If you're looking to replace the Switch Dock then get the Genki Cover Dock.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Fly Ricky posted:

Where the gently caress is it normal to take a co-ed bath in TYOOL 2022 Japan?

You have been misinformed. The only place I’ve done so in fifteen years is by paying extra at hotels and poo poo (for a private bath with my family).

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol mixed sex bathing is not a normal thing in Japan and that scene in XBC3 exists to make people playing go 'huh this is not normal what's going on here?'

Oh, you misunderstood, I said mixed baths exist, but I guess I thought they existed a bit more than that. Weird since I did go to Japan to some communal baths (which yeah were gender separated) so yeah ooops sorry for the bad wording.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you're looking to replace the Switch Dock then get the Genki Cover Dock.

I've been using the Skull N Co for a few months now and it's a great option as well.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

JordanKai posted:

If I have to wait until the very last DLC drop for Maple Treeway I will be so sad. :(

End of 2023 :negative:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

(and regularly overhesting)

Is this a typo or are you Dutch

I need to know whether to mock you or pity you

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Is this a typo or are you Dutch

I need to know whether to mock you or pity you

Typo. It was overheating.

Brought it to gamestop since the girl on the phone said they'd give me $235 for it.

I get there and it's "... in store credit, of course."

So, now I'm trying to offload it elsewhere.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Return the OLED and buy an OLED from Gamestop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

Return the OLED and buy an OLED from Gamestop.

That's where I got the OLED.

I couldn't simply put the money from bringing in the old switch towards the new switch because I needed to transfer a bunch of stuff.

Anyway, whatever, I'm selling it locally online.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't play my Switch handheld if I can avoid it. Are there other perks for upgrading my aging Switch to the OLED version?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zero

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Better battery I guess

Which is also pointless not handheld

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

Better battery I guess
R > C > P

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you want a Dock with a built-in Ethernet port and the switch just has to match it

In other words, no

(I too use it almost exclusively in Docked and have no reason to upgrade to OLED)

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 7, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pentyne posted:

You buy cheap you'll buy twice

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Incorrect!

You'll very likely NOT overheat your switch.

:buddy:

For real, though, it's likely going to get me playing undocked way more going forward. Fuuuuuuck, this screen looks so good.

Oh, also, it's got 64gb onboard memory.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 6, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lol I forgot the onboard memory was only 32 gigs

If you trade it in and buy the new one then and there, they should give you some time to do the transfer if you ask

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SettingSun posted:

I don't play my Switch handheld if I can avoid it. Are there other perks for upgrading my aging Switch to the OLED version?

Not really, all the perks for the OLED version are for handheld (better battery, fancier screen), with the only other difference being the OLED dock having an ethernet port (which you can get a USB adapter for $10-$20 so uh, not worth it just for that).

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Typo. It was overheating.

Brought it to gamestop since the girl on the phone said they'd give me $235 for it.

I get there and it's "... in store credit, of course."

So, now I'm trying to offload it elsewhere.

Man the gamestop website only quotes $120.

I've heard they'll let you transfer data in store from the old one to the new if you need to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Man the gamestop website only quotes $120.

I've heard they'll let you transfer data in store from the old one to the new if you need to.

$235 CDN, but even with the exchange, that's still a way better deal up here.

I asked the rep on the phone, initially, about how I'd go about transferring my stuff and they said "you'd have to take that up with Nintendo." So I looked up some videos, and while it was definitely easy, it wasn't that quick. Ah well, I'll sell this one for something I guess.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

$235 CDN, but even with the exchange, that's still a way better deal up here.

I asked the rep on the phone, initially, about how I'd go about transferring my stuff and they said "you'd have to take that up with Nintendo." So I looked up some videos, and while it was definitely easy, it wasn't that quick. Ah well, I'll sell this one for something I guess.

Ah that makes sense. Was wondering if there was some kind of in store only deal that would make it worth updating.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They usually give you a good deal on a trade in specifically for upgrade purposes. I got $200 for my ancient jet engine PS4 to put towards a brand new $300 Xbox One X.

The only time this wouldn't be a good deal for you would be if you have a launch year(~) Switch, which is hackable and sells for $300+ in poor condition on eBay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

They usually give you a good deal on a trade in specifically for upgrade purposes. I got $200 for my ancient jet engine PS4 to put towards a brand new $300 Xbox One X.

The only time this wouldn't be a good deal for you would be if you have a launch year(~) Switch, which is hackable and sells for $300+ in poor condition on eBay.

I bought my Switch in Dec of 2018... I wonder if I could sell it for a bunch there. Hmmm.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I bought my Switch in Dec of 2018... I wonder if I could sell it for a bunch there. Hmmm.

I got mine Black Friday 2018 and it wasn't hackable

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nintendo was pretty quick to alter the Switch to fix the vulnerability. There was a brief run of Switches before prior to the one with the better battery life that were unhackable.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nintendo was pretty quick to alter the Switch to fix the vulnerability. There was a brief run of Switches before prior to the one with the better battery life that were unhackable.

Misread. Thought you were only talking about the hackable one

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hmmm according what I am reading my old rear end Switch is moddable. I could probably flip it for a lot if there were some reason for me to ditch it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm have a fairly mint XAW1006 Switch. That means it's definitely moddable, right? I should probably flip it before it loses its value.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

you should keep your moddable switch and mod it yourself. It rules.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
For what?

I hardly use the thing. It's a nice device, but my lifestyle and gaming preferences don't leave a lot of room for actually using it as a mobile device. What exactly would modding get me?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Moddable switches are this generation's ambassador program

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Does the SWOLED screen look weird and stuttery during low framerate games like OLED TVs (supposedly) do?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Low frame rate games are going to look studdery on any display.

Edit: The SWOLED screen is an all around upgrade. It just makes the image look a lot crisper and colors pop. It's still a 60hz 720p screen, but there isn't anything it does worse than the LCD screens of the older models.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Modded Switches let you use homebrew, emulation of older games, let you install Linux and Android, and opens up options like streaming games from your PC. Also piracy.

If none of that interests you or you have a Steam Deck or whatever, there's no point in modding for any of that besides maybe the homebrew and piracy.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Mega64 posted:

Modded Switches let you use homebrew, emulation of older games, let you install Linux and Android, and opens up options like streaming games from your PC. Also piracy.

If none of that interests you or you have a Steam Deck or whatever, there's no point in modding for any of that besides maybe the homebrew and piracy.

You can also overclock your Switch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

This. It made fenyx a lot more tolerable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Hope you know how to deal with thermal paste.