Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

How are the new companions? For reference, I like Miri and hate Bastian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Ho do pledges make you gold?

I sell master writs and any rare stuff that drops because I don't care about appearances and I don't have the research I need to do the master writs anyway yet.

Whoops thought you meant daily crafting writs.

Undaunted Lockboxes can drop motifs I believe, plus whatever random poo poo you farm from the dungeons.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

As much as I poo-poo the dailies, in my previous run of eso I was really good about researching on my crafter. Now I have almost everything researched but have barely made anything and I’m just now learning about transmutation and reconstruction :v:

I don’t go about this game in a very logical way, what can I say

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So I've been on an Elder Scrolls kick and I'm looking at maybe picking ESO back up after way too long to remember anything I was doing or what any of my characters' deals were. I'll probably just make a new character and start fresh; I don't think I got very far the last time around anyway. Are there any considerations for picking an alliance other than what looks fun and what races they have? Does your alliance lock you out of playing with folks in a lot of content, and if so is there one that is more active than others?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Doctor Zero posted:

How are the new companions? For reference, I like Miri and hate Bastian

Ember is a bit manic and Isobel is surprisingly clever. They made sure neither one is a fencepost this time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Alright somehow I put in 20 hours over the weekend, I think it's fair to say I love this game.

I'm honestly shocked, I figured I would just install this and kill a couple hours and bounce off of it.

Game good.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Quorum posted:

So I've been on an Elder Scrolls kick and I'm looking at maybe picking ESO back up after way too long to remember anything I was doing or what any of my characters' deals were. I'll probably just make a new character and start fresh; I don't think I got very far the last time around anyway. Are there any considerations for picking an alliance other than what looks fun and what races they have? Does your alliance lock you out of playing with folks in a lot of content, and if so is there one that is more active than others?
Alliance only matters for Cyro and IC pvp. All of PvE land and Battleground pvp doesn't care about alliance. There are still alliance specific stories, but you can do all of them at any point, so you're not locked to your alliance and you're not even forced to do your alliance before others.

If you end up caring about Cyro or IC PvP you can always make a character with that in mind later (or buy an alliance change token, I guess).

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

So despite the fact that it says it's not compatible with the Steam Deck, ESO is actually compatible with the Steam Deck and playing it on a portable is pretty cool.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was surprised by how well the Steam Link app works with ESO. All I was expecting was a way to get daily rewards but it’s pretty easy to do stuff like writs, check auctions, basic poo poo like that.

But I’d love to try the steam deck

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Is there a goon guild on EU servers? Won't mind joining (as long as you will have a total newb who started playing ESO literally yesterday)
Also, is there a discord?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cutedge posted:

So despite the fact that it says it's not compatible with the Steam Deck, ESO is actually compatible with the Steam Deck and playing it on a portable is pretty cool.

So I am deducing that you have gotten your Steam Deck. You should deduce that I am seething with jealousy.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

adary posted:

Is there a goon guild on EU servers? Won't mind joining (as long as you will have a total newb who started playing ESO literally yesterday)
Also, is there a discord?

Goon guild on EU is dead, but if you're looking for a guild that doesn't mind helping new people I'd def. recommend Colorful Explorers, Tangled Dragons, or Sheogoraths Refuge. Don't forget, you can join up to five guilds.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Goon guild on EU is dead, but if you're looking for a guild that doesn't mind helping new people I'd def. recommend Colorful Explorers, Tangled Dragons, or Sheogoraths Refuge. Don't forget, you can join up to five guilds.

Thanks for the info!

I didn't know you can join multiple guilds

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah guilds are kinda more like Linkshells than standard MMO guilds in that way

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'm working my way through Craglorn, Thieves Guild, and Brotherhood, bout to start Wrothgar. Apparently these are considered dlc as opposed to "chapters" for the other stuff. What difference in size should I expect for the chapters? Bout the same as Craglorn, big? Smaller? hopefully not as small as the guild ones.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm working my way through Craglorn, Thieves Guild, and Brotherhood, bout to start Wrothgar. Apparently these are considered dlc as opposed to "chapters" for the other stuff. What difference in size should I expect for the chapters? Bout the same as Craglorn, big? Smaller? hopefully not as small as the guild ones.
About the size of base game zones. Craglornish, is fair, but Craglorn is weird with the group events. Definitely much bigger than the two guild ones. Wrothgar is actually a protochapter, so it's about the size of a chapter.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

About the size of base game zones. Craglornish, is fair, but Craglorn is weird with the group events. Definitely much bigger than the two guild ones. Wrothgar is actually a protochapter, so it's about the size of a chapter.

Awesome, thanks!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, I came back to ESO after a couple years off, since Elves suck. Summerset was lackluster, I purchased Elsweyr, Greymoor and just recently completed High Isle. How do I make my forced respecced Templar not suck, or is that a lost cause?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
What are you trying to do?

What about your templar sucks?

If it's an elf and you hate elves then you can buy a race change.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Potato Salad posted:

the non-OG areas are definitely superior in every way

imo for real, skip the old world areas and do poo poo like Vvardenfall, Markarth, Elsweyr, Summerset.

Potato Salad posted:

Doing northern then southern Elsweyr one after the other is maybe one of the best TES experiences period

I returned to ESO and did the OG content I had somewhat already experienced years ago because I felt like I had to experience the overall story in chronological order. Got slightly bored and made a khajiit to do the Elsweyr storyline.

Well, the prologue already is a lot more interesting, what with the Hall of Colossus episode :v:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I rolled a Argo Necro because I don't know and I really like the class but man going back to that 0% mount speed from a character with 60% is brutal.

Blackwood seems really cool, I dig the atmosphere and story so far but it's a lot harder to level in than the core stuff just because everything is way more spread out. And that mount issue. So I went back to Stonefalls and it's pretty amazing to play a Necro and have all the questlines be about how being a necro is evil. What do you mean, don't enslave the dead outside of Davos' Watch, what's the big deal?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Mr Newsman posted:

What are you trying to do?

What about your templar sucks?

If it's an elf and you hate elves then you can buy a race change.

My main issue is that the skills I set/got used to were reset and I feel like I am playing catchup. I am specced at all Templar skills, plus Resto Staff and am not really sure what to use. Basically, I took a 3 year nap, woke up and found out I have a lot more to learn. Maybe I'll go back to my Dragon Knight.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ninurta posted:

My main issue is that the skills I set/got used to were reset and I feel like I am playing catchup. I am specced at all Templar skills, plus Resto Staff and am not really sure what to use. Basically, I took a 3 year nap, woke up and found out I have a lot more to learn. Maybe I'll go back to my Dragon Knight.

I felt the same so I started a new character. Between the skill reset and all the new stuff like the sticker book and antiquities it felt like a ton to learn but I think I’m getting the hang of it somewhat

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Cutedge posted:

I rolled a Argo Necro because I don't know and I really like the class but man going back to that 0% mount speed from a character with 60% is brutal.

Make sure you get the continuous assault PVP passive if you don't have it already. Should be able to hop into Cyrodil and do the intro quest to get enough to unlock it.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Ninurta posted:

My main issue is that the skills I set/got used to were reset and I feel like I am playing catchup. I am specced at all Templar skills, plus Resto Staff and am not really sure what to use.

Gotcha. Are you doing PVE? DPS or healing? PVP? Prefer mag or stam (or neither)?

Totally fine to just hop to another class if it's been a while and you want to get the ropes figured out but Templars are a top solo class (mag) and are pretty easy once you get the right skills.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mr Newsman posted:

Make sure you get the continuous assault PVP passive if you don't have it already. Should be able to hop into Cyrodil and do the intro quest to get enough to unlock it.

Or, collect the Alliance Point daily rewards with that character and -bam- instant assault skill tree.

As far as riding speed goes, assuming you have a character with CP, I recommend dumping a bunch of those points into movement speed buffs (including the one that increases mount speed). Babby characters don't need a finely tuned combat set up IMO, but the speed boosts are a great QoL improvement. You can just reset them later.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah i'm pretty sure that run speed is faster than an unaltered mount, or at least it looks that way. i should grind some CPs on my high level before flipping back over

You don't gain CPs at all on non 50 characters I assume?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
No cp gain from under lvl 50 characters is correct.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

correct

XP goes to your levels if you need levels, then to CP if you're already level 50

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cutedge posted:

Yeah i'm pretty sure that run speed is faster than an unaltered mount

Yes, especially on a Bosmer. Can even outrun the ones with some boosts

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Is there a way to set up the game to automatically slam my hand into a car door whenever I decide that I want to try DPSing instead of healing or tanking?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Is there a way to set up the game to automatically slam my hand into a car door whenever I decide that I want to try DPSing instead of healing or tanking?

Bad queue times? Or are you seeing people gently caress up very straightforward mechanics?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Potato Salad posted:

Bad queue times? Or are you seeing people gently caress up very straightforward mechanics?

Easier to have good uptime on buffs and debuffs and keep people alive / do tanking mechanics than whatever the hell you do to get high DPS.

Every few months I'll get the urge to try some "simple" DPS build and grind out all the sets on my heal / tank and retrait it and gold the weapons and get ready and then immediately realize the queues suck, even simple builds require hours on training dummies, and I don't find them as fun as healing and tanking even if I'm good at them because I prefer triage and paying attention being my challenge instead of a rotation.

But I keep doing it!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hah, it's like you have the opposite problem. I've tried multiple times in a handful of MMOs to play healer, but never get comfortable, and go back to dps, long queues and all.

It makes me feel like me Tweek from South Park. The pressure!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Easier to have good uptime on buffs and debuffs and keep people alive / do tanking mechanics than whatever the hell you do to get high DPS.

Every few months I'll get the urge to try some "simple" DPS build and grind out all the sets on my heal / tank and retrait it and gold the weapons and get ready and then immediately realize the queues suck, even simple builds require hours on training dummies, and I don't find them as fun as healing and tanking even if I'm good at them because I prefer triage and paying attention being my challenge instead of a rotation.

But I keep doing it!

In rando dungeons you don’t need to micro manage your DPS.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Templar, oakensoul, deadly/war maidens, and jabs.

Jab jab jab jab jab jab jab

Hopefully u35 doesn't trash it too much (relative to the other classes). Not holding my breath though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hmm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr Newsman posted:

Hopefully u35 doesn't trash it too much (relative to the other classes). Not holding my breath though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You need to see a priest of Arkay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr Newsman posted:

slot a resto staff and heavy attack and you're good next patch