Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The new guy in charge has a bias against uh...all scripted content?

https://twitter.com/TheDonkeyDrip/status/1554729911335587840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So what I'm hearing is "RIP HBO Max and all it's associated content."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The new guy in charge has a bias against uh...all scripted content?

https://twitter.com/TheDonkeyDrip/status/1554729911335587840

That means what, reality shows? Game shows? Youtube react videos?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

That means what, reality shows? Game shows? Youtube react videos?

the man is apparently a fanatic for reality TV, every network he's touched has been gutted and filled with My 600 Lbs Life-tier trash

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

the man is apparently a fanatic for reality TV, every network he's touched has been gutted and filled with My 600 Lbs Life-tier trash

Why is he allowed to keep doing this?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He makes the line go up

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I just started watching 'Farzar' on a whim and I got all of 6 minutes in.

In that time there was
-a sounding joke, explicitly shown to children in-universe (yes, *that* sounding)
-a pedophilia 'joke'
-a joke intellectually disabled character who starts jerking off in public
-a fourth wall break

in addition, the protagonist names his team the 'S.H.A.T.', which the drug addict robot sidekick character immediately points out is the past tense of poo poo (why in gods name would you explain this).

a serious question in all earnestness: who is this show for?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People who still think that Family Guy is the height of comedy years after its time has passed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He was the guy in charge of Discovery, so he's in charge after the merger.

Of course, I don't understand why he acquired a company that he hated all the assets of and wanted to burn down without even getting insurance money out of it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has there been any good news from this merger at all? It seems to be an unmitigated failure across the board, every piece of news has been about the vast swathes of literally loving everything that is being cut and basically everyone is furious with them for one reason or another.

Some very rich people are going to get slightly richer, so it’s good news for somebody!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Keep in mind, the channels he's been involved in are the kind of thing that produces content, not programming. Like, My 600 Lb Life is acceptable background noise when you're taking a sick day or collapsing at a hotel in bumfuck Iowa at the end of a long day's drive.

For the most part, he's never been involved in handling something like HBO Max.

It's funny, because he talks about data. Well he got his start at NBC in the late 80s. Do you know what show NBC had on at the time that was very popular.

Cheers.

You know what show was at the bottom of the ratings for it's very first season?

Cheers.

NBC kept the show on because it was a good show, the president of the network believed it could find an audience, and it paid off. And they didn't have much they could replace it with, but shut up!

This data driven approach to content is bad. Sometimes, a good show needs to find its legs. You need to give these things a chance. And it can pay off in the end. But you let some business major walk in and say "look at this data," and you end up with someone who can produce the Discovery Channel - a channel with bland inoffensive content that is just interesting enough to get someone to look at every so often, but predictable enough that you don't need to bother watching.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Its a real life example of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktAbh39aoU8

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

James Urbaniak is one step ahead of you

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1555323658809184256?t=wwWhzJsfPrb7TJ18AYBD2A&s=19

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In that time there was
-a sounding joke, explicitly shown to children in-universe (yes, *that* sounding)
-a pedophilia 'joke'
-a fourth wall break

in addition, the protagonist names his team the 'S.H.A.T.', which the drug addict robot sidekick character immediately points out is the past tense of poo poo (why in gods name would you explain this).
How soon did the Futurama/Rick and Morty joke happen?

I appreciate their obvious Leela-knockoff character, i.e. Hot Chick But With A Mutation But Don't Worry She's Still Hot

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know how much they advertised it but the Smiling Friends special airs tonight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s gonna be some weird poo poo where they never leave the airport or some poo poo.

winner winner chicken dinner

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Happy Landfill posted:

How soon did the Futurama/Rick and Morty joke happen?

I appreciate their obvious Leela-knockoff character, i.e. Hot Chick But With A Mutation But Don't Worry She's Still Hot

It was in the introductory cut scene explaining the sending. Right after the sounding joke!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s gonna be some weird poo poo where they never leave the airport or some poo poo.

It was this and it was great. It's literally just them talking and arguing. The dialogue is the most natural I've ever heard in a show

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Happy Landfill posted:

I think that's what makes episode 2 so great--the first and only time you meet Stolas his only joke/character beat is The Horny Dude; but then episode two starts and you're like, "oh, haha it's the horny guy again, I bet he's about to do a funny horny bit," and you think it's the lead up to a joke but it ends up going in to "You Will Be Okay" and it's this straight, genuinely touching character moment. He spends a lot of the episode being a weird horny dude and it's played as a joke but it also plays up against the other bit of his character that's been established--genuine love for his daughter. I seriously thought he would be a one-note character and then he wasn't.

I think it also plays into that he is in a clearly dead marriage and is looking for a lifeboat and he goes full horny because he is desperate for any sorta of connection mixed with he has never really had a great emotional connection with anyone much less romantic.

Macaluso posted:

It was this and it was great. It's literally just them talking and arguing. The dialogue is the most natural I've ever heard in a show

Dope is it on hbo max yet?

Happy Landfill posted:

He makes the line go up

He isn’t currently, he is making the line drop like a loving rock.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In that time there was
-a pedophilia 'joke'
-a fourth wall break

a serious question in all earnestness: who is this show for?

Morons. It probably makes enough views to justify a 3 seasons

Cemetry Gator posted:

Keep in mind, the channels he's been involved in are the kind of thing that produces content, not programming. Like, My 600 Lb Life is acceptable background noise when you're taking a sick day or collapsing at a hotel in bumfuck Iowa at the end of a long day's drive.

For the most part, he's never been involved in handling something like HBO Max.

It's funny, because he talks about data. Well he got his start at NBC in the late 80s. Do you know what show NBC had on at the time that was very popular.

Cheers.

You know what show was at the bottom of the ratings for it's very first season?

Cheers.

NBC kept the show on because it was a good show, the president of the network believed it could find an audience, and it paid off. And they didn't have much they could replace it with, but shut up!

This data driven approach to content is bad. Sometimes, a good show needs to find its legs. You need to give these things a chance. And it can pay off in the end. But you let some business major walk in and say "look at this data," and you end up with someone who can produce the Discovery Channel - a channel with bland inoffensive content that is just interesting enough to get someone to look at every so often, but predictable enough that you don't need to bother watching.

Lol hbo is gonna die. I just hope adult swim and a24 survive and James Gunn poo poo survives somehow

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The only streaming service with a library that everyone could get excited about just eating it’s own lunch, pooping it’s pants, and dying at the precipice of Netflix committing subscriber suicide is so impossibly stupid.

Yeah if they kill adult swim or a24 somehow. I am out. They are just gonna make it trash and milk a bunch of dead series too death. Like I think there are like 7 or more GOT shows in production and only one looks ok.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Macaluso posted:

The dialogue is the most natural I've ever heard in a show

It really is and its one of the reasons I love it.

That and how it gets so weird I end up sitting there saying "WTF is going on?!" in a good way. This episode was no different.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Dope is it on hbo max yet?

Yup, that's how I just watched it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Macaluso posted:

LOL this ep was top notch.

THEY DIDN'T PAY FOR THE FRIES!!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

People who still think that Family Guy is the height of comedy years after its time has passed.

It's decent background noise, but these days it seems like literally every joke is "Peter is secretly bi", "Lois is unhappy", or "Jews like money", and they're trying to include at least one of each of these jokes in every episode.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Genuinely worried for the future of the Venture Bros movie :ohdear: if they get poo poo canned twice I'm going to be pissed

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He isn’t currently, he is making the line drop like a loving rock.

I'm fond of the idea that investors are just like "Well, gently caress, they're gonna cancel everything I watch! What's even the point??"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know how much they advertised it but the Smiling Friends special airs tonight.

This episode gave me PTSD. 10/10

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I had to stop and come back to that episode like 3 times from what I can only describe as psychological cringe damage. It’s a drat fine episode by it goddamn hurt to watch. It’s the same reason I can’t watch Always Sunny as the first episode makes me want to die.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

"Could barely watch the whole thing. 10/10"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Unironically yes

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

I had to stop and come back to that episode like 3 times from what I can only describe as psychological cringe damage. It’s a drat fine episode by it goddamn hurt to watch. It’s the same reason I can’t watch Always Sunny as the first episode makes me want to die.

Yeah, I've never seen 'accidentally loving up and ruining poo poo for your friends' captured in such a realistic and uncomfortable way.

"You picked the worst possible time, you just picked the worst possible time to go"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Smiling Friends sounding increasingly like Nathan for You//Rehearsal, a brilliant piece of comedic art that would probably make my skin crawl with anxiety and I would hate completely.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bust Rodd posted:

Smiling Friends sounding increasingly like Nathan for You//Rehearsal, a brilliant piece of comedic art that would probably make my skin crawl with anxiety and I would hate completely.

It's really just this episode so far that goes for the extremely uncomfortable too real thing. The rest is pretty silly overall. They just really like having these goofy looking characters have realistic conversations and this episode was like the ultimate version of that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Smiling friends sorta reminds me of a more refined version of aqua teen hunger force(shows fantastic) but more for younger millennials and older zoomers. The humor class clicks just right.

Macaluso posted:

It's really just this episode so far that goes for the extremely uncomfortable too real thing. The rest is pretty silly overall. They just really like having these goofy looking characters have realistic conversations and this episode was like the ultimate version of that.

I remember Zach talking about how that was one of his intentions, it’s a wacky cartoon weird poo poo but everyone acts realistically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56pOweQdgcw

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Just finished Tuca & Bertie season 2. I cannot fathom why they cut the excellent intro in half, but it makes a certain kind of sense as this season was a lot less zany fun and a lot more mental health struggles. Season 1 was better, overall, but season 2 had some great episodes. Night Friends and The Flood were great episodes, the gentrifying moss was a hilarious running gag, and I think a lot of people have dated a Kara in the past (including me). I'll start season 3 tonight, interested to see where they go with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1560051134185684992
Too bad if you liked any cartoons on HBO Max.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man so many of those deserved better.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mokinokaro posted:

Man so many of those deserved better.

The success of a show is no longer determined by whether or not it's good or if people like it, but rather the whims of a CEO who has never seen it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Feels like we're entering a dark age for animation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pixeltendo posted:

Feels like we're entering a dark age for animation.

Yeah, and things have been going really well lately so it's an extra big bummer to see it killed off for no loving reason.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 18, 2022

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Goddamn. I feel the worst is they are gonna write these as tax write offs so no ever seeing them on a streaming platform ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The success of a show is no longer determined by whether or not it's good or if people like it, but rather the whims of a CEO who has never seen it.

Well in fairness, this has been true for a very long time.

The entertainment industry is spectacularly awful