Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kecske posted:

when the family game pass gets rolled out just find some sucker to mooch off, bing bong so simple

Be my Gamepass sugar daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
they got me with the Saints Row sale so I picked up SR4: Re-elected. forgot how fun it is

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

adhuin posted:

I do get free Xbox game pass too.
All I have to do is:
1. Go to work and labour 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
2 ...
3. Free game pass. (also housing and food)

Edit: woops replied to the wrong person

I'm also saving up rewards points to get a nice deal on a series x

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 7, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

[quote="Wiltsghost" post="525380469"]
Edit:. Quote is not edit, I'm way too tired right now

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Got Xbox for Windows is such a poo poo show. All of a sudden my games won't log in. The Xbox app shows my GPU membership, but you know, acts like I'm not signed in either. Login box just disappears when you click on it.

All the support articles are "restart this service!" and "reinstall this utility app!" none of which seem to do anything.

So I guess I sit and wait and hope that the cloud gaming gods fix whatever the gently caress they broke.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Use task manager to kill off any Xbox processes that are still running, then restart the app. That usually fixes it for me

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

just had a traumatic flashback to Games for Windows Live

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gfwl is kinda funny because it was a huge failure that everyone hated but i imagine it was really useful experience when they actually started to integrate xbox and windows games in a way that was more acceptable to people this gen

except when the xbox app on windows takes a poo poo apparently

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the only two games I owned for a long time that had GFWL were Halo 2 and Dead Rising 2 and in both of those games it pretty much worked exactly like it was supposed to. it was kinda neat to be able to see my Xbox 360 friends but i never really used it. then I got GTA IV and Fallout 3 and it was the biggest piece of annoying poo poo of all time

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Xbox Series Games for Windows Live X

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a way to transfer files from a USB to my external hard drive? I'm setting up my emulator on the series S and I'd rather just play them off that instead of USB

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Every Xbox employee gets Game Pass Ultimate for free and every Microsoft employee got a free year of it at some point in the last couple of years. Xbox employees also get every digital game published by Microsoft on Xbox and PC/Steam. It's an awesome perk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whats their doctor copay?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Not the first time round unfortunately. After the credits rolled I double-checked for alternate endings since I figured I likely missed something - thankfully I'd been manually saving a bit so didn't have much re-tracing to get the good ending

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

with the money you save on games you can spend on the doctor!! how wonderful

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Use task manager to kill off any Xbox processes that are still running, then restart the app. That usually fixes it for me

Rebooted, reinstalled, killed services, repaired, etc. Like I said, I've done all the bullshit support "try this" that I've found online so far. Nothing seems to improve it. Like I said, how loving stupid there isn't an error message to diagnose, it just doesn't work.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

webmeister posted:

Not the first time round unfortunately. After the credits rolled I double-checked for alternate endings since I figured I likely missed something - thankfully I'd been manually saving a bit so didn't have much re-tracing to get the good ending

The good ending is p cool

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

gfwl is kinda funny because it was a huge failure that everyone hated but i imagine it was really useful experience when they actually started to integrate xbox and windows games in a way that was more acceptable to people this gen

GFWL did implement some useful game policies like mandating that games be fully playable with a controller, which was pretty rare at the time. I think mandating that games be playable with a widescreen aspect ratio was also a new thing they forced.

FunOne posted:

Got Xbox for Windows is such a poo poo show. All of a sudden my games won't log in. The Xbox app shows my GPU membership, but you know, acts like I'm not signed in either. Login box just disappears when you click on it.

All the support articles are "restart this service!" and "reinstall this utility app!" none of which seem to do anything.

So I guess I sit and wait and hope that the cloud gaming gods fix whatever the gently caress they broke.

Obnoxious that it's failed this hard but if you can swing it, it might be worth doing a full "Reset this PC" to effectively flatten reinstall your system. That should for-sure fix the issue unless there's some fuckery with your actual Microsoft Account.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

adhuin posted:

I do get free Xbox game pass too.
All I have to do is:
1. Go to work and labour 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
2 ...
3. Free game pass. (also housing and food)

More evidence that gamers have reached Roman Emperor levels of decadence.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

univbee posted:

GFWL did implement some useful game policies like mandating that games be fully playable with a controller, which was pretty rare at the time. I think mandating that games be playable with a widescreen aspect ratio was also a new thing they forced.

Yes, except that was Games for Windows, which slightly preceded Games for Windows LIVE.

The non-Live GFW was actually a pretty great and user-friendly initiative – though MS also used it to push the Xbox 360 controller to become the default PC controller – but GFWL went way too far with its online login bullshit. (Not to even mention trying to make you pay for Live Gold on PC...)

e: This is my copy of Halo 2 for PC and the Live Gold trial coupon it included :lol: :

Zat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 7, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ColdPie posted:

How did you get game pass for free?

I'm about to get 3 months free with microsoft points and I think it's viable to do it again in 3 months. Getting the points doesn't take much time at all and is kinda fun. You just have to remember to do it daily.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zat posted:

Yes, except that was Games for Windows, which slightly preceded Games for Windows LIVE.

lol is this where we start another derail about how Microsoft can't name for poo poo?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm about to get 3 months free with microsoft points and I think it's viable to do it again in 3 months. Getting the points doesn't take much time at all and is kinda fun. You just have to remember to do it daily.

Yeah I forgot once and lost my streak just before I got a 105 point bonus. After that I set a reminder!

I actually kinda like edge now too?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

priznat posted:

Yeah I forgot once and lost my streak just before I got a 105 point bonus. After that I set a reminder!

I use edge as my daily driver now. It's good? Better than chrome at least.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

I use edge as my daily driver now. It's good? Better than chrome at least.

Yah I was on firefox before but edge has supplanted it now.

Only took over 20 years to get me to use a microsoft browser!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

priznat posted:

Is there ad blockers and such for edge? I'm only using it for the daily searches.

I do use bing instead of google now, but that's patially because google sucks now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

Is there ad blockers and such for edge? I'm only using it for the daily searches.

I do use bing instead of google now, but that's patially because google sucks now.

Yah I have the same adblockers I used on firefox, and the extensions are also chrome compatible I think due to edge being based on Chrome.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Any chrome extension works on edge yeah

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

All Chrome plugins work on Edge, at least on PC, including uBlock Origin.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

priznat posted:

Yah I have the same adblockers I used on firefox, and the extensions are also chrome compatible I think due to edge being based on Chrome.

Huh. Maybe I'll try it out then. Would be weird to actually use microsoft's browser.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played a lot of jedi knight deathmatch on msn gaming

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I started using Edge a few months back.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I've been using Edge for a couple of years now. I like it because it's a Chrome-clone that uses less memory and has MS reward point integration.

Apparently they're also adding a free native VPN to it too.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Real hurthling! posted:

Gonna depend on if you're a limited integration company or under MS directly. MS benefits are very good, including stock, full 401k match and what looks like good medical? But really until you experience that stuff it's hard to figure out where it falls short. Overall comp for MS is really good though.

LI companies can use some perks though, like discounted hardware, the free game pass ultimate, and cheap cheap software both gaming and windows/office stuff.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Asuras Wrath is scratching an itch I didn’t know I even had!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

SilkyP posted:

Asuras Wrath is scratching an itch I didn’t know I even had!

Yea I didn't really watch anime when I played it and I became super invested in it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

To close my own loop here, this is what fixed it:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-click-sign-in-on-the-xbox-app-a-gray-box/9320724b-06c9-4451-b6ba-dbbec8ee1b6a

Which appears to be, after doing some system checks, forcing a re-register of every store app. I then had to remove the "Weather" and "3d Printer" apps that came back from that process, but after I uninstalled all the xBox apps then reinstalled them from the store. Now it seems to be working as intended.

E: BUT WAIT THERES MORE
This broke the hell out of flight sim. So unistall, then it won't reinstall, so force delete the folders, reset and repair game services, and boom, now just to download eleventy billion gigs of flight sim.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 8, 2022

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Disposable Scud posted:

Yea I didn't really watch anime when I played it and I became super invested in it.

I think a couple times I was gripping my controller too tight

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Asuras wrath is a goat capcom ip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

MJBuddy posted:

Gonna depend on if you're a limited integration company or under MS directly. MS benefits are very good, including stock, full 401k match and what looks like good medical? But really until you experience that stuff it's hard to figure out where it falls short. Overall comp for MS is really good though.

401k is 50% match (which is pretty much the standard these days). Medical is excellent with free (it is taxed though) great coverage for employees and dependents/spouses and a $5k deductible with a bonus $1500 HSA deposit every 6 months. The benefits are excellent and the only downside is that stock awards vest over 5 years which is a bit long and increases to vacation time only happen every ~6 years. The old system was even better but had to be phased out when the ACA happened as it covered the employee and any dependents/spouse for free with $0 out of pocket everywhere. No joke, you walk in to any health care facility in the world (that takes any insurance) and drop your card and never pay a dime. Anything not covered by insurance was billed directly to Microsoft. It was insane.

And that's how you talk about white collar benefits in a gaming thread.