Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

america is a sick country and freud was right americans are insane death drive maniacs

poopendorfer's entire thing in this thread is implying that people who have bad interactions with drivers while they're out driving or cycling are at fault for those interactions, he may be in the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I often cross a bridge 16 feet above I-10 (widest freeway in the world, gently caress Texas), and the roar of traffic is deafening. It's clearly the sound of tires on the road. The smell is god awful too. Tons of air pollution dumped into the middle of the city. Imagine how much quieter and cleaner the city would be without all these loving cars.

I know how it could be, I got a taste of it during lockdowns in my country in 2020. It was so quiet I could hear birds chirping, the pedestrian crossing's audio aid for the blind (no more than 50 meters away from my window), even sounds taking place across the main street! It's insane what we put up with just because we are socialized to accept it from early on and just dont know better!
also condolences, i have heard of that freeway and crossing above it must be the definition of a traipse through hell on earth

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

The rhythmic sounds of a well-maintained train are a balm to the human soul.
True.

Even then, highway noise is non-stop all day, while even a busy train track will be silent most of the time. Electric trains are silent too. The loudest noise from a well maintained train is the horn, and even that can be quieter. Train crossing signals with wayside horns will blast a warning noise directly at cars and away from the surrounding area.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I had a car honk at me to let me know my bag had fallen off my bike the other day, that was nice but I wish the car was dead still!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

america is a sick country and freud was right americans are insane death drive maniacs
What american doesn't love to hop into their car for a nice death drive?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mortons stork posted:

I know how it could be, I got a taste of it during lockdowns in my country in 2020. It was so quiet I could hear birds chirping, the pedestrian crossing's audio aid for the blind (no more than 50 meters away from my window), even sounds taking place across the main street! It's insane what we put up with just because we are socialized to accept it from early on and just dont know better!
also condolences, i have heard of that freeway and crossing above it must be the definition of a traipse through hell on earth

It was beautiful. It's not that it was quiet, exactly. It was that you could hear all the sounds other than cars.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cars are destroying the San of Francisco:

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1555944803216437248

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I wish a video could be a thread title.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/braitsch/status/1555945331455676416?s=20&t=pMokdSrQVauhBq7S-6w4Lg

loving 45 traffic cops writing ten tickets a day, mostly for expired tags and other bullshit instead of speeding/running stopsigns/red lights, and doing it mostly in BIPOC neighborhoods instead of the most dangerous streets in the city.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Visited SF recently and found it quite eerie wrt cars -- some main streets were the usual traffic hell, but I would say... most that I walked along were quiet. Even some that seem like central streets, like a couple of the main streets up chinatown, almost totally car-free and yet still with a decent amount of foot traffic. Many also notably had more buses than cars. Felt a lot different than what I'm used to.

I don't think I ever went to the area officially designated "downtown" though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cool av posted:

Visited SF recently and found it quite eerie wrt cars -- some main streets were the usual traffic hell, but I would say... most that I walked along were quiet. Even some that seem like central streets, like a couple of the main streets up chinatown, almost totally car-free and yet still with a decent amount of foot traffic. Many also notably had more buses than cars. Felt a lot different than what I'm used to.

I don't think I ever went to the area officially designated "downtown" though.
"downtown" is a fairly wide area but pre-pandemic it was basically loaded to the brim with cars in completely gridlocked traffic for half the day. like literally you could be sitting at a light cycle green-red-green-red for 4+ cycles until you just decide gently caress it and drive into the intersection/block the crosswalk on the opposite side because otherwise you won't make progress since everyone else would clog it with turning right/left on the one space that did open up and block the intersection themselves. it's really a clusterfuck and was very much just gently caress it got mine even if it meant gridlocking an intersection. battery street could take you 1-hour just to go about 10-blocks to the onramp.

and yet all that, people would still get off the freeway at 280 and take the city streets because it was 5-20 minutes faster than sitting on the designated freeway. "post"-pandemic i think the downtown traffic has died off a lot since the freeway traffic isn't as bad these days but it's still real lovely; well, im just guessing since i no longer have to go that shithole of a city anymore.

abolish cars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ham Equity posted:

https://twitter.com/braitsch/status/1555945331455676416?s=20&t=pMokdSrQVauhBq7S-6w4Lg

loving 45 traffic cops writing ten tickets a day, mostly for expired tags and other bullshit instead of speeding/running stopsigns/red lights, and doing it mostly in BIPOC neighborhoods instead of the most dangerous streets in the city.

lol everyone just runs reds, stops, driving in bus lanes to get around traffic, and blatant going straight in turn lanes instead of staying in straight lanes all the time even infront of sfpd cars just watching. for how many millions of cars pass and how many reds and ped row violations, 10 tickets a day is so loving low. i've never seen sfpd ever pull anyone over for running reds or carpool or driving in bus lanes or anything else, traffic laws don't really exist at all and obeying them is largely considered for rubes

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is war on the ticket guy industry

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

poopendorfer's entire thing in this thread is implying that people who have bad interactions with drivers while they're out driving or cycling are at fault for those interactions, he may be in the wrong thread.

you get dunked on by the general public for doing normal everyday things, its funny to read about thats all

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mortons stork posted:

my city froze unexpectedly last year, and with all the roads totally iced over the whole area shut down. no cars on the road at all. i live next to a major thoroughfare and it was so nice not to hear the background noise of traffic all the time. i could actually go outside and have a conversation without raising my voice!

all cars must be destroyed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Xaris posted:

it's really a clusterfuck and was very much just gently caress it got mine even if it meant gridlocking an intersection.

I've never heard of an intersection being a metaphor

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

You know how in the US everyone seems to have their own number on how far over the speed limit you can drive without getting a ticket for it?

I wonder what the average cop's number is, and how that impacts when they decide to ticket

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
can’t hear the street over the enormous air conditioner my neighbors installed 3 feet from my window

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
cops are the most car brained people around

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

all cars must be destroyed

inshallah

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

You know how in the US everyone seems to have their own number on how far over the speed limit you can drive without getting a ticket for it?

I wonder what the average cop's number is, and how that impacts when they decide to ticket

Typical non city cop will say 10mph over before stopping a car, 15 over for a ticket

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

leftist heap posted:

cops are the most car brained people around

yeah i mean this is their idea of hanging out lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ham Equity posted:

That's pathetic. They should follow Houston's example and write tickets to cops. ParkHouston holds responsibility for writing tickets and towing cars, but I don't believe they are a part of Houston PD.
Houston cops are issued more parking tickets than any other city department, records show

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

God Hole posted:

yeah i mean this is their idea of hanging out lol

i cant find the story because it was years ago but there was some extremely horrible tragedy at a school were an insanely car brained cop, trying to get a better look at something, DROVE UP ONTO A CURB (instead of getting out of the car) and killed a little kid. i dont think anyone was punished of course, just a tragedy, the cop couldn't see the little girl due to being in a giant pedestrian vaporizing suv.

feels great as a parent to live in a country like this, where we just shrug our shoulders. nothing can be done!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Our cops are pushing to replace their fleet with bigger vehicles, but the city is thankfully aware of how they'll inevitably be used as weapons (because it already happened here recently)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I was friends with a dude in college who drove like a loving maniac (way too fast for ivy roads in upstate NY) and I asked him if he ever got tickets.

He showed me the holder for his registration, which has his father's business card in the lower pocket. His father was a cop. He said he'd never gotten a ticket.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Was in an antiques/junk store (the type that picks through dead people's estates) and along with a weird amount of WWII German memorabilia, they also had this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

distortion park posted:

Was in an antiques/junk store (the type that picks through dead people's estates) and along with a weird amount of WWII German memorabilia, they also had this

$392 for that? drat

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dunno be careful with these don't lifted pickups of the day have super high pressurized tires that explode?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i slashed plenty tires in my day and its much easier than you'd think. this was with a regular pocketknife usually too

big trucks, commercial vehicles, etc - not recommended :ninja:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1556393543144538113?s=20&t=tp4zGylaNBXPyRDQ6gvMYA

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Smythe posted:

can’t hear the street over the enormous air conditioner my neighbors installed 3 feet from my window

this but it's my own A/C O_O

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I need to lift more weights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqX5Kj2E4n8

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1556340740703256576?t=4ZwaJOkOAs3g14yeYbuK7A&s=19

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I don't do twitty poo poo enough to know if this person is being earnest in their support of the article

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Imagine waiting 3 cars deep to wash your car yourself instead of just doing what the pros do and wash one panel at a time with the gas station squeegee.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

That's not a real article lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BeeSeeBee posted:

Imagine waiting 3 cars deep to wash your car yourself instead of just doing what the pros do and wash one panel at a time with the gas station squeegee.

Lmao that's what I do too!! I didn't know I was a pro

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol at the soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

They all have garages BTW.