Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
if you tell me to stop being a dickhead in a particular way, I will simply find another, very similar, way to be a dickhead, while also yelling 'I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!'. Obviously there is nothing you can do about this, so you should stop telling me what to do. gently caress you dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fart Dumbass posted:

r/wallstreetbets recently banned using the word 'retard', and it was a major part of that sub's culture. that means the glenn thread is the last place on the internet that is a true free speech zone. and you would attack that? truly, fascism has come to cspam, to destroy the last thing that makes it unique. if you take that away, how are we any better than the rest of them? if anything we should add more slurs to the accepted list and allow more threads to use them. it's the most obvious, shortest, direct route to both improving post quality, and getting new posters into the site.

Why do you need to post hyperbolic like this? Are you incapable of having a conversation?

Azathoth posted:

I'm legit not sure how you can read what other people are saying in here and go "yeah, it's good and right to keep calling people retards". I used to call people retards too, I stopped, so did a lot of other people, and I hope you can too.

I didn't say this at all though, and I appreciated The Pussy Boss's and speng31b's posts about this.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah I think you specifically should be banned for it every time considering your rap sheet.

Why not just say this then?

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Why do you need to post hyperbolic like this? Are you incapable of having a conversation?

:confused: I'm agreeing with you! allowing the use of slurs makes the site better and they should be allowed in more places. how is that hyperbolic? I thought we were on the same side! I'm really starting to doubt your commitment to using slurs.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fart Dumbass posted:

:confused: I'm agreeing with you! allowing the use of slurs makes the site better and they should be allowed in more places. how is that hyperbolic? I thought we were on the same side! I'm really starting to doubt your commitment to using slurs.

Where did I say or imply that?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i legit would rather drink paint than go through another round of this particular discourse, frankly. it's dingable, it gets dinged. like a couple of other places on this website there are subsections where this is policed harder or softer. we tried harder policing and it didn't make it better, and this is the compromise.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Where did I say or imply that?

maybe I misunderstood. I'm feeling very confused! you think the use of slurs is NOT good? what about when you think someone is real bad and deserves it though?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

CoolCab posted:

i legit would rather drink paint than go through another round of this particular discourse, frankly. it's dingable, it gets dinged. like a couple of other places on this website there are subsections where this is policed harder or softer. we tried harder policing and it didn't make it better, and this is the compromise.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fighting against the "retard" ban has powerful "bedtime is authoritarianism" energy.
-----
I really enjoyed the imperialism thread and think CSPAM should have more short theory reading groups.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I didn't say this at all though, and I appreciated The Pussy Boss's and speng31b's posts about this.

That's fair. I just couldn't think of a reason why you'd keep up saying retard if you didn't think it was cool or good to do so. I am curious though, why persist as you do?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Beyoncé even got dinged for ‘spaz’, and animeistrash is no bey

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

skipmyseashells posted:

Beyoncé even got dinged for ‘spaz’, and animeistrash is no bey

He's absolutely not, and the difference is that Beyonce is weak

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's because Beyonce isn't gifted. :gbsmith:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Fighting against the "retard" ban has powerful "bedtime is authoritarianism" energy.

Aside from anything else, you don't need to be stupid on an organic level to be a dumbass. You just need to be, well, a dumbass.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's because Beyonce isn't gifted. :gbsmith:

pretty low-iq of you to not answer the question imo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

CoolCab posted:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I've been sick of this horseshit for a while now, here and elsewhere on the Internet, but it's occurring to me now that I can at least make a thread here about it, now that most of the bigger problems QCS has been dealing with are out of the way.

You are not a better person for saying that someone has a smooth brain instead of calling them "the R word". Lissencephaly is a horrific birth defect, worse and much rarer than Down syndrome, and the idea that retarded is off limits but smooth-brained is cool and woke is revolting. Why not go all the way and tell people they're holoprosencephalic or have trisomy 9? The alternative to "punching down" is not punching farther down. It isn't just awful in its own right; it's insulting in its spurious sanctimony. God this pisses me off gently caress you

ed: typo

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
I love the argument that “we tried to make people stop using an offensive term, but it was too hard so we let them say it only in one place”

grow up and use a different insult, also just gas the Glenn thread it belongs in D&D not here

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Red Baron posted:

I love the argument that “we tried to make people stop using an offensive term, but it was too hard so we let them say it only in one place”

grow up and use a different insult, also just gas the Glenn thread it belongs in D&D not here

speng31b
May 8, 2010

what specifically about the Glenn thread "belongs in d&d"?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Red Baron posted:

please don't put words in my mouth, i said nothing of the sort.

again, sorry, i'm not going to break out the Matte Black undercoat and start chugging - here, instead i'm going to pull something from somewhere else on SA and talk generally. sorry, not intending to call attention to this particular person and obviously there's a lot changed since i just thought it was illuminating:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Re: that witchcraft thread, a couple people brought it up to me in the IK discord (this was like six months or so after the fact) and I mentioned that I was sympathetic to having a witchcraft and general spirituality discussion thread, because I think there's value in discussing that kind of thing, but that anyone participating in one on the something awful forums would have to have a real thick skin so it might not be the best place for it, because there would be a lot of jokes and challenges and stuff

The response I got was "well maybe if you banned bigotry" which, lol

I dropped it after that and it never came up again

there's a lot of this around sometimes, a lot of talking about the ideal with a situation - ie, we shouldn't be bigoted, with the actual practical implementation of such an idea - it should be punishable to not think witchcraft is real. there is a gap between these ideas, but by pushing extremely hard on the moral ideal you don't actually have to examine or talk about what would happen. as it so happens i can say as someone who didn't participate - the expectation that we should legislate or enforce the reality of magic is loving bonkers. people were actually dinged for this!

long winded way of saying you can start with good intentions and wind up with terrible policy - policy positions where you think you've done something ethical and progressive when really all that's happened is you've jerked around with tarot cards, one way or another. and extremely frequently if people want one thing they'll hide behind the easier to justify allegedly moral thing, which really sucks rear end but is pretty standard with a certain set.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I agree with all the reasons posted by the r slur defenders and I think that reasoning should be extended to the n word as well. You think you're doing something morally good by banning the n word? well some people wanted to have a witchcraft thread, did you know that? that's right, you didn't. so you must let me use slurs.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fart Dumbass posted:

I agree with all the reasons posted by the r slur defenders and I think that reasoning should be extended to the n word as well. You think you're doing something morally good by banning the n word? well some people wanted to have a witchcraft thread, did you know that? that's right, you didn't. so you must let me use slurs.

no

edit: what the gently caress

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hello again, empty whippet box. i am entirely sincerely not getting into this with you in particular

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

speng31b posted:

what specifically about the Glenn thread "belongs in d&d"?

There is a contingent of this subforum that think they're in a life or death struggle with the posters of D&D. Instead of laughing at the dumb posting dumb things, they post equally psychotic things.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
ok I’m bored of reading this stuff, if the warriors don’t make the playoffs or get knocked out in the first round I want to be IK of the nba thread for exactly an hour

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CoolCab posted:

there's a lot of this around sometimes, a lot of talking about the ideal with a situation - ie, we shouldn't be bigoted, with the actual practical implementation of such an idea - it should be punishable to not think witchcraft is real. there is a gap between these ideas, but by pushing extremely hard on the moral ideal you don't actually have to examine or talk about what would happen. as it so happens i can say as someone who didn't participate - the expectation that we should legislate or enforce the reality of magic is loving bonkers. people were actually dinged for this!

long winded way of saying you can start with good intentions and wind up with terrible policy - policy positions where you think you've done something ethical and progressive when really all that's happened is you've jerked around with tarot cards, one way or another. and extremely frequently if people want one thing they'll hide behind the easier to justify allegedly moral thing, which really sucks rear end but is pretty standard with a certain set.

That's a good post and a good way to think about some of this stuff. Sounds like your go-to is acrylic, have you tried oil-based yet?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Azathoth posted:

You use a word that others here and elsewhere have repeatedly told you is more hurtful than other words you could choose in the same circumstance. They have concluded that you use that word specifically because you want to hurt them more than you otherwise would.

Personally, I think you call people retards because you like being a contrarian and think you're proving a point or needling mods with it. I can tell you that at this point hitting you with a 6er for that is, at worst, a chore for us. Like, you made a mess and now we have to clean it up.

I'm legit not sure how you can read what other people are saying in here and go "yeah, it's good and right to keep calling people retards". I used to call people retards too, I stopped, so did a lot of other people, and I hope you can too.

I just don't care, seems like a passing twitter thing. also every goon who truly freaks out about has some crazy guilt syndrome where they said the n word ten thousands times.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There is a contingent of this subforum that think they're in a life or death struggle with the posters of D&D. Instead of laughing at the dumb posting dumb things, they post equally psychotic things.

It's a deeply obnoxious thread, full of obnoxious people. It goes in the containment forum for such.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Calibanibal posted:

He's suffering from trump thread aggro syndrome and needs to be rehabilitated

i can fix him

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

StratGoatCom posted:

It's a deeply obnoxious thread, full of obnoxious people. It goes in the containment forum for such.

Like who? Any posts that find particularly obnoxious?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think the glenn thread is good, i'm just pedantic about psychology and statistics. all the american threads should be gassed though

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

StratGoatCom posted:

Can you give us some examples of obnoxious posting or behavior? Review like the last 10 pages and quote some stuff you really don't like?

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I'm biased because I like the Glenn thread but if you think it's full of awful people it seems a little like you've only read it when someone jumps in being aggressive and gets made fun of. It's okay to not agree with people! Not every person you disagrees with needs to be punished!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It's okay to not agree with people! Not every person you disagrees with needs to be punished!

sorry, i don't know what you want here. if a mod doesn't punish the person who was wrong how am i supposed to know who won and was therefore correct

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Glenn thread must suffer the fate of all chat threads; getting called out by weirdoes who dont read them

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Glenn thread belongs in CCCC as much as the Trump thread does. It's okay to have threads in here that some folks don't like, so long as the behavior that makes them controversial doesn't spill out. Neither thread leaks anywhere near as much as it used to, so it doesn't make sense to me to do something different with either of them.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Azathoth posted:

The Glenn thread belongs in CCCC as much as the Trump thread does. It's okay to have threads in here that some folks don't like, so long as the behavior that makes them controversial doesn't spill out. Neither thread leaks anywhere near as much as it used to, so it doesn't make sense to me to do something different with either of them.

:agreed:

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
who cares where a thread is lol. people pushing for it to be moved just want it to have, what, less visibility? it literally doesn't matter in any way except in the minds of weirdos who think of it as some kind of own. sure, it's mostly a chat thread where sometimes the actual thread topic is mentioned. that's every thread. who gives a poo poo

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Azathoth posted:

It helps that they've stopped exclusively pulling mods for cspam from the trump thread and nowhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Azathoth posted:

That's fair. I just couldn't think of a reason why you'd keep up saying retard if you didn't think it was cool or good to do so. I am curious though, why persist as you do?

I don't know what to tell you man, sometimes you want to call someone an idiot and it's the first thing that comes to your mind.

I also don't appreciate you blaming me for the proliferation of this word. The revival of it on CSPAM happened directly because none of the blue or red stars did anything about it until it was too late and he started melting down.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Glenn thread must suffer the fate of all chat threads; getting called out by weirdoes who dont read them

This is an internet forum, every thread is a chat thread.

Azathoth posted:

If you think both threads belong in CCCC, then move them there. I don't understand the issue?