Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Here's your CSPAM feedback thread for the Summer.

We've had a few changes in terms of moderation over the past few months. Azathoth has ascended to an admin and has become the sworn enemy of every good poster. frankenfrank has stepped down as mod, and NeatHeteroDude has become a mod.

Majorian and Calibaninbal have been the benevolent stewards of the Ukraine-Russia War thread, and we're adding tacodemon as a general CSPAM IK and Lpzie as IK of the Trump thread. Thanks to everyone for volunteering.

When I started out as a mod we sought to cut down on IKs and have more moderators, but in time we've circled around back to having more IKs for specific busy threads, as it's really nice to have thread regulars be able to provide context when there's a blowup or some issue that needs to be resolved. What do you think? Are there threads you think would benefit from an IK? How is the modding in general? Is there any contests, events, new thread ideas you'd like to see in CSPAM?

We are also hoping to get a non-North American moderator so that we have a bit of a better coverage when it comes to timezones. If you're interested, or would like to suggest someone, please :justpost:.

Thanks!

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's going very well and I, for one, look forward to the operant conditioning reign of NHD.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also soliciting feedback on the plan to close cspam at midnight

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Aug 5, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

Push the button, KB.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

don't leak my secret meltdown plan

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Close dnd

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Done.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Positive feedback: The current mod and IK staff are fantastic. I really feel like this might be the best crew we've ever had. Good job everyone.

Negative feedback: The regular posters themselves are insufferable dogshit. I cannot stand these people and we need some serious housecleaning.

Positive feedback: The Ukraine Conflict thread is possibly the most interesting and well-moderated discussion of its kind in the entire internet.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:cheers:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Push the button, KB.

I keep asking to make the button bigger, and better.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I keep asking to make the button bigger, and better.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

free larry

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

:feelings:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Embed truths already

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Trixie Hardcore should be the [Pestilence] thread IK.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

StratGoatCom posted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Here's your CSPAM feedback thread for the Summer.

We've had a few changes in terms of moderation over the past few months. Azathoth has ascended to an admin and has become the sworn enemy of every good poster. frankenfrank has stepped down and mod, and NeatHeteroDude has become a mod.

Neat.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I celebrate neatheterodude's ascent, because if he ever catches me breaking a rule I can simply pretend to throw a tennis ball and quickly hide it behind my back and he will spend the next hour looking for it instead of probing me.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Is this where we discuss how to solve the modeling moderating crisis?

Oh, and:

StratGoatCom posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Genuine question what is the point of these kinds of threads? Nothing seems to get fixed or changed.

Here is the feedback from the last thread:

Dreylad posted:

Here's a summary of the feedback we got:

• Free Larry - No can do.
  • Teach Azathoth to stop arguing with SYQ - His education is ongoing
  • Combining the history thread - Having more threads is better than having fewer, larger threads. Plus the posters in those threads like having the two different threads
  • Rebooting the Culture Warriors thread - Happy to reboot it, although the drama mentioned seems to have passed.
  • Free cumshitter - Free cumshitter
  • Will continue to clamp down on main character syndrome posting
  • Trump thread to CCC/Toxic Waste Dump - The Trump thread has been good and chill these days, there doesn't seem to be any need to move it.
  • Delete CSPAM at midnight - Korean Boomhauer holds the killswitch. When will he strike?

Also Calibanibal has graciously accepted to help cover the U/R thread as an IK. Long may he reign.

We'll continue to post feedback threads regularly. In the meantime, as always, if you have questions or concerns please feel free to PM any of us.

Outside of the jokey stuff, the only 2 action items were create threads. Is there a reason that wasn't done?

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Aug 5, 2022

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Trixie Hardcore was meant to be an IK a lot sooner, but it fell off my plate due to IRL poo poo (handing over another online space I run to someone else so I can put more energy here). I'll fix that as soon as possible.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

while hand curated SYQs have been rich cultural tradition within cspam going as far back in time as anyone can remember, we are now moving into an age of automation and can't be stuck in the past.

As such, I'd like to propose a system of auto-SYQ that chooses posts to SYQ at random from other subs and brings them into CSPAM threads at random as well. I think this would bring a number of benefits.

For one, many of our posting brethren feel unfairly targeted for their takes. This would create a fair system that eliminates bias, and helps to restore the dignity and honor of cspam as a result.

For another, SYQs are often focused on d&d and GBS, which both creates animosity and also misses out on a huge opportunity to mine hilarious SYQs from largely untapped sources, such as the pet subforum or crafts subforum, etc.

now i recognize that the effort to automate this process will be time consuming and not a high priority at first, so here's the last part of my proposal and really the key part. Let's prototype the concept using a low fidelity substitute for complete randomized automation. We'll need a forums poster who is utterly committed to the syq as a tradition and art form, and also a poster who has the ability to become indistinguishable from the content of a bot. in other words, catpetter, let's usher in the future together.

Thanks for your consideration.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

speng31b posted:

while hand curated SYQs have been rich cultural tradition within cspam going as far back in time as anyone can remember, we are now moving into an age of automation and can't be stuck in the past.

As such, I'd like to propose a system of auto-SYQ that chooses posts to SYQ at random from other subs and brings them into CSPAM threads at random as well. I think this would bring a number of benefits.

For one, many of our posting brethren feel unfairly targeted for their takes. This would create a fair system that eliminates bias, and helps to restore the dignity and honor of cspam as a result.

For another, SYQs are often focused on d&d and GBS, which both creates animosity and also misses out on a huge opportunity to mine hilarious SYQs from largely untapped sources, such as the pet subforum or crafts subforum, etc.

now i recognize that the effort to automate this process will be time consuming and not a high priority at first, so here's the last part of my proposal and really the key part. Let's prototype the concept using a low fidelity substitute for complete randomized automation. We'll need a forums poster who is utterly committed to the syq as a tradition and art form, and also a poster who has the ability to become indistinguishable from the content of a bot. in other words, catpetter, let's usher in the future together.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mods my feedback is less posts like that one.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Genuine question what is the point of these kinds of threads? Nothing seems to get fixed or changed.

Here is the feedback from the last thread:

Outside of the jokey stuff, the only 2 action items were create threads. Is there a reason that wasn't done?

can't speak to the culture warriors one but the consensus from the history thread posters was that they didn't want to combine together, and my reading of the feedback indicates we weren't going to do that. also, poo poo seems to have died down without a reboot on the culture warriors so not sure it was ever needed

also, not sure what a reboot of a thread really achieves, the trump thread is rebooted monthly and its the same as it ever was

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

As little as I interact with it, I think CSPAM moderation is in a mostly good place. People having melt downs get popped, joke probes are mostly funny, and friends from other forums are tolerated and welcomed until their meltdowns stop being funny. Hopefully the addition of Azathoth to the admin team will mean Jeffrey's baleful eye will be kept elsewhere.

In closing, free posters everywhere.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

speng31b posted:

SYQs are a posting cancer that escaped from the Succ thread around 9 months ago and has metastasized into the good threads, and people who want to read D&D and/or GBS should be chain probed until they go back where they belong.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Zodium posted:

SYQs are a posting cancer that escaped from the Succ thread around 9 months ago and has metastasized into the good threads, and people who want to read D&D and/or GBS should be chain probed until they go back where they belong.

Speak for yourself.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Azathoth posted:

can't speak to the culture warriors one but the consensus from the history thread posters was that they didn't want to combine together, and my reading of the feedback indicates we weren't going to do that. also, poo poo seems to have died down without a reboot on the culture warriors so not sure it was ever needed

also, not sure what a reboot of a thread really achieves, the trump thread is rebooted monthly and its the same as it ever was

That makes sense, I didn't know that.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Zodium posted:

syq

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

As for some feedback, mods are doing pretty well. It doesn't seem like the Trump thread is going to get gassed so please move it to somewhere like CCCC. It constantly produces some of the most attention seeker posters on this subforum.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

As for some feedback, mods are doing pretty well. It doesn't seem like the Trump thread is going to get gassed so please move it to somewhere like CCCC. It constantly produces some of the most attention seeker posters on this subforum.

you bitch about the trump thread a lot, like way more than is normal, why don't you just not read it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
cause it keeps spilling bud. people who don't post like they're in the trump thread when not in the trump thread are fine, that's not what tends to grate on people. i would love to not read it, to not have an opinion on slovenly vloggers but that opportunity was denied to me despite very very actively not reading it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CoolCab posted:

cause it keeps spilling bud. people who don't post like they're in the trump thread when not in the trump thread are fine, that's not what tends to grate on people. i would love to not read it, to not have an opinion on slovenly vloggers but that opportunity was denied to me despite very very actively not reading it

same but for gbs and d&d posts.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, I haven't really noticed that being a problem and I read most active threads in cspam. I guess if a bunch of people disagree with me I could just be blind to it but it's not something I've noticed

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's gotten a lot better it used to be muuuuuuch worse. generally whenever the big threads spill over and try and overwrite the smaller threads cultures tend to cause conflict.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

alec eiffel got banned which solved a lot of problems

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

alec eiffel got banned which solved a lot of problems

The way people are posting in a thread I don't read is making me mad as heck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CoolCab posted:

Yeah this is it, you can almost always tell the posters because they have main character syndrome in most other threads they visit. I don't read the thread can list off a bunch of posters.

When the thread was last rattled around the time that Flavius got demodded, a lot of weirdos came out of that thread. Many of whom are still pretty active in that thread.